Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Johner wrote: »
    Would ye guys take barcas Thiago on loan for the rest of the season even if he definitely had to go back at the seasons end?

You aren't getting Thiago. Why would Barca loan him to you? :confused:
    Are we mortal enemies now or something,why do you say that???
    Not that I think theres a chance it will happen anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sad to hear about Fletcher,really hope he recovers even if it is just to be healthy and not play ball for us again...

Think now we will buy in January for the middle,i can see us moving for Tiote or Rodwell...or even Modric..........still hanging in there for him even if it is highly unlikely!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You aren't getting Thiago. Why would Barca loan him to you? :confused:

It is a hypothetical question on a internet forum that has no impact or bearing on anyone or anything.

It doesn't mean anything.

Barcelona could loan him out under the terms he was apparently available for in the summer (before Cesc officially signed) where they had a buy back option/price - or like the odd Bojan transfer/loan. It is nopt like they are short of central midfielder and Thiago might want more regular football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Would ye guys take barcas Thiago on loan for the rest of the season even if he definitely had to go back at the seasons end?
    I thought Scholes was coming out of retirement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

cambo2008 wrote: »

Sorry, why would they loan him to anyone I meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

It is a hypothetical question on a internet forum that has no impact or bearing on anyone or anything.

It doesn't mean anything.

Barcelona could loan him out under the terms he was apparently available for in the summer (before Cesc officially signed) where they had a buy back option/price - or like the odd Bojan transfer/loan. It is nopt like they are short of central midfielder and Thiago might want more regular football.

I haven't seen that much of Barcelona but hasn't he started a lot of games this season? And been involved in most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It could be a win/win situation. Barca see their player get more experience at a high level and united get the use of a top prospect til the summer. And who knows, maybe the chance for first team football could sway him to want to stay. There are going to be few good players available in january without the club paying silly money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

cambo2008 wrote: »

Sorry, why would they loan him to anyone I meant.
    Fair enough but he's not exactly first on the team sheet at Barca and he wouldn't be massively missed.
    Don't see the harm in loaning him out meself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

hopefully the signings (if any) in January work out as well as the signings made the last time United got KO'd from the tournament...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Doesn't Valencia play the CM role for Ecuador? Another option I suppose, seems solid in the tackle as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I was thinking last night that Romeu would have been almost perfect for us to have gotten in the Summer.

Young, cheap and apparently the supposed buy back clause only has a price agreement between Chelsea and Barca, and Chelsea only have to sell if they want to. According to AVB anyway. Even if you sellhim back to Barca after a year or two for a small profit, it would still have been handy to get some use out of him.

I suppose Chelsea probably didn't even expect him to turn out as good as he is and didn't expect him to become a starter within 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

RasTa wrote: »
    Doesn't Valencia play the CM role for Ecuador? Another option I suppose, seems solid in the tackle as well.

Not really tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Blatter wrote: »
    I was thinking last night that Romeu would have been almost perfect for us to have gotten in the Summer.

Young, cheap and apparently the supposed buy back clause only has a price agreement between Chelsea and Barca, and Chelsea only have to sell if they want to. According to AVB anyway. Even if you sellhim back to Barca after a year or two for a small profit, it would still have been handy to get some use out of him.

I suppose Chelsea probably didn't even expect him to turn out as good as he is and didn't expect him to become a starter within 6 months.

Yes. He's been excellent for Chelsea lately especially against Newcastle and Valencia. Marshalls in front of the back four well and has a good pass and vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

We should go for Joao moutinho or Javi martinez or both, both can create and tackle

Moutinho has been linked with a move away for a long time, very surprised nobody has got him yet, he would be a welcome addition for me, Martinez too as I have already said, just wouldnt get your hopes up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not a United fan, but sad to hear about Darren Fletcher was a big fan of his, hope he recovers soon. Surely this means Fergie will have to sign a CM in january does it? United were already crying out for a top class centre midfielder (to play alongside Fletcher?), but now they are in even more need for one, probably two in an ideal world, but what do you guys think would be the ideal signing for yous in the middle of the park? A player to play between the midfield and the forwards is needed badly, but I'd imagine a player who plays a bit deeper, with more steel may be the most important signing now would it? Whoever suggested Javi Martinez above was a great shout, if he chooses to leave Bilbao though I can't see him coming cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I will cry if I see Rooney starting as Midfielder. It would be waste of a talent and with one shot we will be weakening 2 positions.

Cleverley will be back in this month, I think SAF will again play "We have very good squad and I trust my players" card. We have only fit CM, still we wont be signing anyone. SAF will use Giggs, Park, Jones with Carrick also this month Cleverley will be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Back in this month is scheduled for the 31st though isn't it?! So not exactly an immediate solution...looking at Jan!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Back in this month is scheduled for the 31st though isn't it?! So not exactly an immediate solution...looking at Jan!

Yeah 31st but there are rumors that he has already started training. So he might return in this month or first week of next.

You've basically just repeated what I said!

• Advertisement

In my first post with "this month" I mean 31st dec. Not immediately ;)

Yeah but you can't really say this month when basically he's out for our next 4 games cause I don't see him been rushed back for the game on the 31st!!

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I will cry if I see Rooney starting as Midfielder. It would be waste of a talent and with one shot we will be weakening 2 positions.

Cleverley will be back in this month, I think SAF will again play "We have very good squad and I trust my players" card. We have only fit CM, still we wont be signing anyone. SAF will use Giggs, Park, Jones with Carrick also Cleverley will be back by first week of Jan.

Now there wont be any confusion :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I may have the wrong impression, so this a genuine question -

Can someone name a game where Rooney has played very well up front on his own?

Preferably where he scored, or the team won more than 1-0.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

gutted for fletch absolutely gutted

what is going on at our club,the medical staff new what fletch had all along so fergie must have known aswell,strange going on's at a club of our stature.

do poeple really think city are going to drop more points than we do in the second half of the season? i highly doubt it,imo they will only get better with playing together more,we have to buy quality for our midfield to be competitive and as good a prospect as he is cleverley is not a world beater or game changer yet.

Thanks.

This season? If not 2009-10 season.

If its this season then apart from few Champions league group games we haven't played with lone striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

baz2009 wrote: »
    Pun intended?

Certainly not, no pun was meant and it would be very, very bad taste in such circumstances. Thanks though for pointing it out and I've just edited my earlier post. Coming from a medical background I know what poor Flecth has to go through and how dangerous the complications of his condition can be. I'm actually amazed he has even managed to make it onto the pitch at all. He may indeed eventually manage to put UC into remission, but the danger lies in a potential return to football.

The pressure and stress of playing for United could probably tip him over the edge again. I have also no doubt he has worsened his condition by playing for United up to now. But perhaps that is a measure of the man, putting the team first, he always seemed like a good, decent lad. Thankfully he has seen sense and is putting himself first, because no United fan would want to see it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Was thinking about the Fletcher situation and do you know what (maybe it’s the successive disappointments over the last few summers getting to me), I can actually see another Hargreaves situation developing.

Our fans kept waiting and waiting and nobody was signed in the problem area with so many false dawns about whether or not Hargo (now Darren) will play for us again. I really hope I am wrong here and the situation is resolved ASAP, either this January or next summer. However, being disappointed with our signings is almost becoming the norm for me so for once I really really hope I am so wrong I will be embarrassed for posting this :)

Thanks.

He's very capable up front on his own and he showed it many times in the 09/10 season. A stand out performance was probably at the Emirates that season when we won 1-3 in the league.

Another one was the 4-0 game v Arsenal in the FA cup a few years a go when he absolutely destroyed them up front on his own.

The problem with him playing there in one off games is that I've noticed he seems to take a few games to adjust to the position. The couple of times he has played there this season(Benfica and Basel away) he was relatively poor.
    The pressure and stress of playing for United could probably tip him over the edge again. I have also no doubt he has worsened his condition by playing for United up to now. But perhaps that is a measure of the man, putting the team first, he always seemed like a good, decent lad. Thankfully he has seen sense and is putting himself first, because no United fan would want to see it otherwise.

Yeah, the medications like anti-inflammatory tablets for injuries etc. and the added stress would surely not have helped his condition alright.

• Advertisement

I see Chelsea would be willing to hear offers starting from 20m for Torres. I don't think that would be too bad tbh, drop Rooney into midfield with Torres and Hernandez up front... :D

20million? sure we could get a nice winger for that kind of money

Ah sure what do we need wingers for?
    Valencia Jones Rooney Nani
    Torres Hernandez

That don't look too bad to me, given Rooney and Jones some time to bed in that is.

Or
    Valencia Jones Cleverley Nani
    Torres Rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

We should try get Sneijder, Tiote, a right back (Clyne seems to have been targeted) and Martinez too if possible in January. Move Jones or Smalling to CB and play a new look midfield. Then we would be a force to reckoned with for the next three to four seasons against the big european teams.

Sneijder - 30m

Tiote - 20-25m seeing as it is Newcastle we are dealing with here

Martinez - 25-30m

This is dreamworld mate. We havent bought a CM in 4 years and now you are touting three for January. If we sign one midfielder of this calibre, I think everyone here will be fairly surprised.

You are right in saying that we would be a force to be reckoned with but it wont happen. We dont even need three signings, Martinez alone in a squad consisting of Cleverley, Carrick, Anderson supplemented by Giggs and Park until Tunnicliffe comes back in January and Morrison and Pogba develop enough to be included could potentially see us set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I see Chelsea would be willing to hear offers starting from 20m for Torres. I don't think that would be too bad tbh, drop Rooney into midfield with Torres and Hernandez up front... :D

Dont think I could contain myself if we signed Torres...my favourite player to watch bar none when he is on song.

• Advertisement

Martinez would be closer to the £40m mark(if he was for sale at all)

If he was available at £25-30m he'd be long gone by now.

He is almost certainly not going to happen, people should stop dreaming about him.

If any manager or any style of play could get the best out of torres it would be Fergie and the way we play, Torres would trive on crosses coming into the box and Rooney just behind, the tought of Torres back to his best in A United Jersey is the stuff of dreams for United fans and absolute nightmares for Pool fans, they may even consider buying him back themselves at that price, they are looking for a striker and he'd be the perfect foil for suarez

de gea

Jones---Vidic---Jones---Evra

Nani-Sneijder-Martinez--Young

Rooney--Torres

Imagine this was our team for next season:D

de gea

Nani-Vidal-Martinez--Young

Rooney--Welbeck

Fixed and I know Jones is very good young player but can he play 2 positions at a time? :pac:

Torres Hernandez

That don't look too bad to me, given Rooney and Jones some time to bed in that is.

Or
    Torres Rooney

Na wingers are the way to go mate, if we had a stable of wingers we would be unstoppable sure, easily solve our midfield problems and then some, probably solve our potential defensive issues too now, wingers. All about the wingers man

• Advertisement

de gea

Rooney--Torres

images-1.jpg

Blatter wrote: »
    images-1.jpg

Is that what the Muppet is at these days? :D

Torres Hernandez

Or

Torres Rooney

That top team is a good fantasy football team, that's about it !

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That top team is a good fantasy football team, that's about it !

Why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

kryogen wrote: »
    Na wingers are the way to go mate, if we had a stable of wingers we would be unstoppable sure, easily solve our midfield problems and then some, probably solve our potential defensive issues too now, wingers. All about the wingers man

sarcasm01.jpg

Oh buy another winger.... thats a really good idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

de gea

Rooney--Torres

somebody clone jones? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

VW 1 wrote: »
    Sneijder - 30m

Tiote - 20-25m seeing as it is Newcastle we are dealing with here

Martinez - 25-30m

This is dreamworld mate. We havent bought a CM in 4 years and now you are touting three for January. If we sign one midfielder of this calibre, I think everyone here will be fairly surprised.

You are right in saying that we would be a force to be reckoned with but it wont happen. We dont even need three signings, Martinez alone in a squad consisting of Cleverley, Carrick, Anderson supplemented by Giggs and Park until Tunnicliffe comes back in January and Morrison and Pogba develop enough to be included could potentially see us set.

It's ambitious I agree but our midfield is in it's most weakened state for a long long time now. Tiote we could get for less than 20m I would think, 15m maybe. Martinez for 20m. Thats 65m.

I realise this will never happen come January but my point in the earlier post was that we should have gotten Silva and added Sneijder later. We knew Scholes was coming to the end of his career and that Giggs will follow shortly. Fletcher's time out was also known about. Anderson is not good enough.

Carrick is having a good spell right now but who knows how long it will last and even playing well his game is very negative at times. Lots of passes backwards. Cleverly has a bit more forward thinking, a nice short pass and times his runs forward well but he is a good prospect at the moment and nothing more. He is no Scholes and its too early to tell whether he can fill those boots, my gut feeling is he can't, thats not to say he won't be a good player but from what I've seen he would suffice sitting behind or alongside a creative force doing the dirty work. Giggs is good but he won't be with us much longer.

We are trying to make up for three seasons of not signing midfielders. Fergie hasn't addressed this problem urgently enough, someone should have been in place before Scholes left and others added after-wards. Europe's elite have far superior midfields. Lets have a quick look at not even there midfield options but who they can bring on from the bench........

Chelsea leave Lampard, Obi Mikel and Malouda on the bench. Essien began training again last month and will be back in the squad soon. They added Mata, Romeu and Meiereles recently. Far superior to us. Nasri is on the bench most of the time for City and he was one of our targets after every other option fell through. De Jong, Barry, Hargreaves and Johnson don't start the majority of games. They have the best player in the league with Silva at the moment, why didn't we try sign him? Madrid brought Kaka on for Ozil the weekend. Khedira and Altintop warm the bench these days. I don't need to mention Barcelona do I?

These are the worlds top club's and all but Chelsea, bar recent matches, are playing like it. We need to be able to go head to head with them so a massive upgrade is needed.

Why is that?

Your best forward in the centre of the pitch? Fair enough, for a once off game if badly needed but over a sustained period? I don't think so. He needs to be in positions where he can do damage. On form he's up there with the very best centre forwards.

I've been impressed with Jones anytime I've seen him but is he ready to be the main man in the middle of the pitch? Maybe he is, but I'd say a few more years. Is it known what his best position even is yet?

The rest of the team seems alright but again Ronney is miles ahead of Torres and Hernandez.

Rooney does damage from the middle of the pitch 80% of the time, he always drops deep and imo that's where he's best.

I didn't say Jones should be the main man in MF, but he could be if given time.

Rooney is miles ahead of Torres right now but Torres on form is every bit as good, I don't think I could resist having both of them in the side. Besides Rooney in MF isn't a necessity, but it would help a lot in the interim.

20m for a front 3 of Torres, Hernandez & Rooney.

*fap*

Anyway, one can dream, Chelsea probably wouldn't sell to us and certainly not for 20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rooney does damage from the middle of the pitch 80% of the time, he always drops deep and imo that's where he's best.

I didn't say Jones should be the main man in MF, but he could be if given time.

Rooney is miles ahead of Torres right now but Torres on form is every bit as good, I don't think I could resist having both of them in the side. Besides Rooney in MF isn't a necessity, but it would help a lot in the interim.

20m for a front 3 of Torres, Hernandez & Rooney.

*fap*

Anyway, one can dream, Chelsea probably wouldn't sell to us and certainly not for 20m.

So we look to solve our central midfield problem by buying a striker? Are you Fergie?

We have a problem in central midfield. We need to buy a central midfielder to solve that problem. Not Torres, not Krasic, not a striker, not a winger. We need a Central Midfielder.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement