Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

I am hoping Sky Bet give as generous odds as they did for Sneijder not coming in the summer.

Cause you just know we be linked with every bloody Tom, Dick and Harry from here till February.

tom and dick would improve our midfield greatly but imo harry is not united quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Sneijder is perma-injured these days anyway. Aside from the likelihood United are not actually going to bid for him, it would be pointless adding somebody else to the treatment room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Throw 70m at bayern for schweinsteiger and gomez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Throw 70m at bayern for schweinsteiger and gomez

I keep forgetting about Schweinsteiger. That would be a super signing if it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Schweinsteiger, yes he is exactly what we need but there is more chance of me winning the euro millions so there's no point talking about it.

Gomez isn't needed(and just as unrealistic as Schweinsteiger) as we have Chico although I'm a big fan of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

I wonder would you get Seedorf from Milan on a 6 month loan? Big wages probably, but I reckon he would play in England before he retires. He's actually only 35 and I'd say he'd be a fantastic example for some of our younger players. Plus, the guy is a fabulously creative player.

It would be a cheap creative option.

But, the bigger problem is replacing Hargreaves (yeh, he still needs replacing, let alone Fletcher). The two at the top of my list would be Martinez and M'Vila but realistically we aint getting either of them. Certainly not in January, as Martinez I dont think will leave his hometown club during the season and (this is depressing to say) both are cup-tied for the EL? :o

Tiote could maybe be gotten, prepare to get lubed up though for Ashley to give us a good going over. Outside of him, who is there? Cattermole? Pallacios, remember when he looked good? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

SK1979 wrote: »

Tiote could maybe be gotten, prepare to get lubed up though for Ashley to give us a good going over. Outside of him, who is there? Cattermole? Pallacios, remember when he looked good? ;)

I actually think we'd get Tiote for €15mill or so, include Gibson and they'd be getting a bargin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Macheda's agent has confirmed he's going out on loan in January according to SSN.

I've a funny feeling Fergie will splash the cash in January,now being linked with Cabaye along with Tiote.

The Guardian has published a list of potential midfield targets.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/gallery/2011/dec/14/manchester-united-potential-midfield-targets#/?picture=383294407&index=0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hopefully Macheda goes to a PL or Championship side, I look forward to seeing how he gets on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Is strange how schweinstegger has transformed from an above average winger to one of the best central midfielders in the world, if we give jones time he could develop into a great midfielder, hes certainly a better player now than scheweinstegger was at 19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I hope we are pleasantly surprised in January. I too expect Fergie to use his old lines(no value etc..), but we haven't made a "big" signing since Berbatov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

From where I stand the Guardian only have 2 guesses definitely plausible, couple of others that are possible I guess and plenty that are completely unrealistic....

So normal media ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Mirror reporting Pogba to have talks with Inter. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Mgoraf wrote: »

there's your problem right there!

lets wait to hear from a few reputable sources first before getting worried...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Mgoraf wrote: »

Any other centre mids want to leave? Get injured? Woe is us, and being 2 points from City still doesn't give me comfort knowing we have this big gaping hole in the centre of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is strange how schweinstegger has transformed from an above average winger to one of the best central midfielders in the world, if we give jones time he could develop into a great midfielder, hes certainly a better player now than scheweinstegger was at 19

Jones is very talented. But he's not a natural central midfielder, you can see it. He just isn't as aware as a natural central midfielder should be, Gibson is more natural to it. While he has oooodles of potential, that potential should be deployed in what is going to be clearly his best position, central defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

PHB wrote: »
    Jones is very talented. But he's not a natural central midfielder

No he's not but then again, he is only 19! Plenty time for him to grow into the position if that's where Fergie is planning to develop him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

PHB wrote: »
    Jones is very talented. But he's not a natural central midfielder, you can see it. He just isn't as aware as a natural central midfielder should be, Gibson is more natural to it. While he has oooodles of potential, that potential should be deployed in what is going to be clearly his best position, central defense.

I fully agree with the point about Jones,he will do a job in the middle but is in no way the answer to our CM issues nor will he ever be....Forcing him to be in there could have a negative impact on his development as a top class CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Realistically, Manchester United can sign any one in the world that they want to, if they want to badly enough.

I also think the funds are there for Fergie, despite what the press say about debt, and that he'll have virtually an open cheque book if he decides to buy a CM in January.

I do think you need a CM, but I can't see Fergie splashing out massively on an overpriced older player. I think he'll be looking for someone with a maximum age of around 27, who would have some sort of a sell on value after 1 contract.

It's testament to the man really IMO, as he could have gone out and spent the De Gea, Jones, Smalling money on a few players who are getting on a bit and who would no doubt do the business for him here and now, whilst he can then retire after winning another few titles, a Champions League etc, leaving the new manager and club to clean up the mess of an ageing squad, but he's looking out for the future of the club when he won't be around too and I think great credit should go to him for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Steven Defour. The forgotten man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Steven Defour. The forgotten man.

He only moved during the summer so I doubt he'll be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Doubt we'll be signing anyone in January lads. Sure Cleverley will be back in January and Ando in February. I wouldn't be a fan of panic buying to cover for injuries, I'd rather wait till the Summer and pursue the best available targets before teh Euro's start. Fergie won't be knee jerking IMo nand rightly so. We can manage till the two boys get back to fitness.

More than anything I feel terrible for Fletch, the poor fella's life could be ruined. :(

As for Sneijder he's been injured on and off since the World Cup Final and looks to me like a guy who feels he has nothing left to prove. Been pretty mediocre for quite some time now. He wasn't the answer in the Summer and he certainly isn't now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

More talk in tomorrows papers about pogba rejecting a new career and opening talks over a bosman to inter. He s a wonderful talent but all this contract stalling suggests he s a bit of a diva or he s being badly advised

n32 wrote: »
    More talk in tomorrows papers about pogba rejecting a new career and opening talks over a bosman to inter. He s a wonderful talent but all this contract stalling suggests he s a bit of a diva or he s being badly advised

If true, f*ck him tbh, if he's getting notions after a couple of Carling Cup games what'll he be like after a few years in the first team. Whats the world coming to when a youth player thinks he can stall on a contract at Manchester United???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

n32 wrote: »

He might want to move because another team is offering him first team football. I wouldn't hold that against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

smokedeels wrote: »
    He might want to move because another team is offering him first team football. I wouldn't hold that against him

It's fairly evident he won't be ready to play first team football at a high level for a while yet, so unless he's signing for a championship team, that won't be the excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

The whole situation of a young player stalling over a contract makes you appreciate all the more the likes of fletcher, g nev etc who would go through a wall to wear the united jersey. What would fletch give to be fit and healthy like pogba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

he can't move on a Bosman surely? Inter would have to pay compensation at the very least.

Liam O wrote: »
    he can't move on a Bosman surely? Inter would have to pay compensation at the very least.

Sure we poached him from St Etienne (I think it was) in pretty dubious circumstances ourselves so we can't complain if the same happens us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Poor Fletch, that's a horrible situation for him. Horribly sick and having his short footballing career derailed. He could lose a lot of money because of this too. And it's not like the guy was a high earner in the first place. Hope he makes a full recovery soon.

I really suspect that Fergie is going to be looking at Cleverly, Jones, Carrick and Ando to carry the team through the rest of the season. I bet that now that Jones is showing a little bit of an ability there he isn't even worried about it. Personally I would much rather if we just bought in a good all rounder and then there would be no worries, but I honestly think that Fergie doesn't see it as a problem now.

flahavaj wrote: »
    If true, f*ck him tbh, if he's getting notions after a couple of Carling Cup games what'll he be like after a few years in the first team. Whats the world coming to when a youth player thinks he can stall on a contract at Manchester United???

We got him from Le Harve. Football is business these days for most players, and we used the exact same thing to get him to United.

If he doesn't want to play for us, fine, good luck to him elsewhere. However, if I was his agent I'd be doing all I could to ensure the best deal possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Sure we poached him from St Etienne (I think it was) in pretty dubious circumstances ourselves so we can't complain if the same happens us.

pretty sure ended up paying a fee for him which is unlikely to have been cheap. us having him for a while and him getting older would only increase his value.

But yeah you are dead right. I hope it is bs that he hasnt turned down a decent contract as so far he has achieved nothing and is only potential. Ill reserve judgement though til we get the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

nearly sure (well according to Football Manager anyway) that if an under 24 player is offered a greater contract by the club than what he is currently on the team he moves to has to pay compensation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

SCOTLAND international Darren Fletcher stands every chance of overcoming the chronic disease which has forced him to temporarily quit football, according to a campaigner and fellow sufferer.

Angus McLean, 40, was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis five years ago – the same condition which has caused Manchester United midfielder Fletcher to take an extended break from the game.

The accountant has now returned to full health thanks to the use of drugs which have brought the disease under control, and has run five marathons in the last three years after his health improved.

Mr McLean, who is also vice-chairman of the Edinburgh Colitis group, said: "There's no cure for ulcerative colitis – it's a life-long illness. But it can be managed.

"Apart from the odd tummy grumble during meetings, it doesn't affect me any more and you wouldn't know I had the condition."

It was announced on Tuesday that Fletcher, from Dalkeith in Midlothian, is stepping back from football in a bid to recover his fitness after being dogged by ill health for a number of months.

Ulcerative colitis is an incur-able bowel disease that affects around one in a hundred Scots, particularly young adults. Symptoms chiefly involve bloody diarrhoea and an uncontrollable need to go to the toilet, and sufferers also experience fatigue and weight loss.

The condition is not stable and people can have periods where they are in remission and can go about their lives normally. But without treatment it is always liable to return and flare up once again.

However, with the right drugs, it should not be an impediment to a healthy, active life, says Mr McLean.

He first noticed he had a problem when he spotted blood in the toilet bowl after a trip to the bathroom.

He said: "I decided to go my doctor and it took around three to four trips before I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.

"I was very surprised as there's no history of bowel problems in my family. I had heard of Crohn's disease, which is very similar, but I didn't know about colitis.

"Before that I'd had loose bowels for a while and that involved frequent trips to the loo. I just thought it was something I would have to live with."

After being diagnosed, he was put two courses of medication which both brought the condition under control for a few months, but it later returned.

He said: "Some medications work for some people but not for all. After the first course of drugs they put me on steroids, but the symptoms soon returned.

"The main downside that came with the condition in my case is fatigue. I was having to get up during the night to go to the bathroom, and it made me feel very run down and debilitated.

"It can also be very socially embarrassing as you have to keep running to the bathroom, which makes going out with friends difficult."

The breakthrough which may also help Fletcher return to fitness came when Mr McLean, of Edinburgh, was put on a course of drugs which suppress immune system.

Ulcerative colitis is caused by the body's own cells attacking the lining of the bowel, causing it to become painfully inflamed. But it can be controlled by using drugs which limit the way these cells work.

Mr McLean said that apart from monthly blood tests to make sure he has not picked up a separate infection, plus a yearly flu jab, there are no other side-effects to the drugs.

He added: "I don't think having ulcerative colitis will mean the end of Darren Fletcher's career. I've been free of the symptoms for three years and you just have to look at Steve Redgrave, who also suffers from the condition, and who won five gold medals after he was diagnosed."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/fletcher-can-overcome-rare-disease-says-sufferer.16164611
    Darren_Fletcher.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Or just delete without acknowledging it

Any reason to why you've just linked an article that is 12 years old?!

Can only presume your showing some kind of irony in that United appealed a ban for him then and now he's ended up in jail for scrapping stolen cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

This year SAF said that Pogba has couple of years left in his contract, mirror just spouts bs and good that none of the reputated papers are picking up the story. And if he wants first team chances why will he sign with Inter, they should probably have the worst track record when it comes to developing a talent.

Regarding transfers, I have set my mind to "We wont sign anyone in Jan, Cleverely will be back. Anderson will be pushed ahead of the schedule. We will end up with Carrick, Anderson, Cleverely, Giggs, Park". Anything over this is a bonus.

Man United chase Castlebar teenager
    Castlebar Celtic star Noe Baba is on the verge of signing with Manchester United.

The 15-year-old prodigy is currently in Brazil with United’s Under 16 team taking part in a tournament and the Premier League giants are reported to be very keen to sign Baba.

The versatile Mayo youngster, who can play in defence, midfield and attack, is the captain of the Irish Under 15 team and has been capped over ten times.

He has been on trial with a number of top clubs including Arsenal, Manchester City, Fulham, Leeds, Celtic, Blackburn and Newcastle, and several of them have been chasing his signature in recent times. However, Baba is particularly taken by Man United, according to Castlebar Celtic club stalwart Pat Naughton.

The teenager has been over to them twice already and was introduced to a number of the first team squad.

“They’ve been very impressed by Noe,” Pat Naughton told The Mayo News last night. “Hopefully there might be something happening now after the trip to Brazil. Noe isn’t sixteen until August next year, the age when he can sign with a club, but they may choose to set the ball rolling before then.”

Baba has been singled out as a youngster with star quality for many years with speed, strength and a great football brain. Allied to that, says Pat Naughton, he is a young man with a wise head on his shoulders.

“Noe does everything right. Everywhere he goes, people like him. He is such a pleasant young lad and even though he is Irish captain, it hasn’t went to his head at all, he still loves coming down to play with his friends at Celtic. We’re all very proud of him,” he said.

Googled with his name, got this pic.
    celtic_v_westport_382.jpg

Bebe time is over, now its Baba time :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Man United chase Castlebar teenager

Googled with his name, got this pic.
    celtic_v_westport_382.jpg

Bebe time is over, now its Baba time :cool:

Typical Mayo head on him.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

More than anything I feel terrible for Fletch, the poor fella's life could be ruined. :(

Melodrama much?

I very, very much doubt that this will "ruin the life" of a man who has been earning as much as he has for the last decade or so.

Christ, he has what is a manageable disease, and I'm sure he is getting some of the best available treatment in the world. Fair enough, he may never play for United again, and that is a shame both for himself, the club and the fans, but no, his life won't be ruined. That's stupid hyperbole.

You're better than that flah, you really are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

niallo27 wrote: »
    Typical Mayo head on him.;)

his fathers from botswana, his mother from ballina.....neither a footballing stronghold.

Mod Note

Absolutely all posts relating to Suarez and Evra and Racism must be made in this thread here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056422554&page=53

If somebody does post on the thread, please ignore it and report the post and it will be moved.

cleverly appears to be back in training alright this week. assuming he is fully free of his injury, i wonder if there is a chance he could play in the next 10 days? surely he has to be in contention for wigan, if he is training 2 weeks before it (he was supposed to be back last monday, he posts a pic from dressing room in training yesterday on his twitter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2011/Dec/Europa-League-explained.aspx?pageNo=1

Europa League guide
    Defeat in Switzerland on Matchday 6 sent United tumbling out of the Champions League, but the Reds will still be playing European football after Christmas.

The Europa League now presents a new challenge for the club and it’s one many United fans are largely unfamiliar with... which is why we’ve put together a quick guide to hopefully answer any questions you may have.

What happens now?
    After finishing third in Champions League Group C, United, along with the seven other third-placed teams, now enter the Europa League at the Round of 32 stage. The other 24 clubs are comprised of the top two finishers from each of the 12 Europa League groups.

When’s the draw?
    The draw for the Round of 32 (and subsequent Round of 16) will take place on Friday 16 December at UEFA’s headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.

Who else is in it?
    The final round of Europa League group-stage games take place on Thursday 15 December, so at the moment the only clubs we definitely know will be involved are Champions League third-place finishers Manchester City (England), Trabzonspor (Turkey), Manchester United (England), Ajax (Holland), Valencia (Spain), Olympiacos (Greece), Porto (Portugal) and Viktoria Plzen (Czech Republic), as well as the teams already qualified from the group stage. That’s PAOK (Greece), Standard Liege (Belgium), Hannover 96 (Germany), PSV Eindhoven (Holland), Legia Warsaw (Poland), Sporting Lisbon (Portugal), Lazio (Italy), Besiktas (Turkey), Stoke City (England), Athletic Bilbao (Spain), Red Bull Salzburg (Austria), Metalist Kharkiv (Ukraine), Braga (Portugal), Atletico Madrid (Spain), Schalke 04 (Germany), Steaua Bucharest (Romania), Twente (Holland), Wisla Krakow (Poland), Anderlecht (Belgium) and Lokomotiv Moscow (Russia).

When are the games?
    There’s still a lot we don’t know about the Round of 32, but since the Reds are seeded we do know Sir Alex’s men will play the second leg at home. That means Old Trafford’s first taste of Europa League action should come on Thursday 23 February, seven days after the Round of 32 first leg (away on Thursday 16 February). Should United progress further in the competition, games will be played on Thursday 8 March (Round of 16, first leg), Thursday 15 March (Round of 16, second leg), Thursday 29 March (Quarter-final, first leg), Thursday 5 April (Quarter-final, second leg), Thursday 19 April (Semi-final, first leg), Thursday 26 April (Semi-final, first leg) and Thursday 9 May (final).

Are teams seeded in the draw?
    Yes. In the Round of 32 draw the 12 Europa League group winners and the four best-placed teams from the Champions League – Manchester City, Manchester United, Olympiacos, Valencia – are seeded. That leaves the 12 group runners-up unseeded, along with the four other third-placed teams from the Champions League. For the Round of 32 a seeded team will be drawn against an unseeded team, with the seeded team playing at home in the second leg. As things currently stand, that means United definitely won’t face Manchester City, Olympiacos, Valencia (all fellow seeded CL teams), Standard Liege, PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Besiktas, Athletic Bilbao, Metalist Kharkiv, Schalke, Twente or Anderlecht (all confirmed already as group winners).

Any other rules for the draw?
    Just a few. Teams who participated in the same Europa League group cannot be drawn against each other in the Round of 32, nor can teams hailing from the same national association. So that rules out a United v Stoke City draw, for instance. From the Round of 16 onwards there are no seedings and teams from the same group or national association may be drawn against each other.

Can you make it simple for me? Who could United draw in the Round of 32?
    As things currently stand (remember, this is before the Europa League group stage has finished), the Reds could definitely be paired with: Trabzonspor, Ajax, Porto, Viktoria Plzen, Hannover 96, Legia Warsaw, Lazio, Red Bull Salzburg, Steaua Bucharest, Wisla Krakow or Lokomotiv Moscow. More teams will come into that picture, however, after the completion of the final group-stage games. We’ll update this story after that happens.

What’s this all in aid of, anyway?
    It’s for glory in the Europa League, which is essentially the old UEFA Cup. The competition was rebranded after a change of format in 2009/10. As far as statisticians and official records are concerned, the competitions – both the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Europa League – are the same. Twenty-six teams have won the competition since its inception in 1971, with Juventus, Internazionale and Liverpool the most successful, with three titles apiece. Manchester United have never won the trophy.

Is the Europa League trophy the same as the old UEFA Cup one?
    That’s right, the very same. It was designed for the 1972 final, is a mixture of silver and yellow marble, and weighs 15 kilograms.

Where’s the final?
    On familiar ground. Well, slightly familiar. This season’s Europa League final will be played at Bucharest’s Stadionul National, a ground United visited in October in the Champions League group-stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Keno 92 wrote: »

Damn, was hoping to draw Stoke, on a wet Tuesday night :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Aye, that Messi fella is a good player but could he handle....

could well happen, if city are home the same night!

also, we play them on a week night in OT in about 7 weeks time:cool:

Will post this again.
    SAF wrote:
    I mean if we hold Pogba back, what’s going to happen? He’s going to leave. You know, in a couple of years’ time when his contract is going to finish. So we have to give him the opportunity to see how he can do in the first-team and he’s got great ability

So surely mirror is puiblishing nonsense as usual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Will post this again.

So surely mirror is puiblishing nonsense as usual?

When is that quote from?
    This season?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement