Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Doing a search story floating round a few of the rags. Would be a shame to lose him, seen him a good few times and always been impressed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2074383/Paul-Pogba-set-Manchester-United-exit.html

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Manchester-United-transfer-gossip-Paul-Pogba-set-open-official-talks-with-Inter-Milan-over-summer-move-article842826.html
    However, the Pogba camp and his advisers, who also represent Manchester City's ex-Inter striker Mario Balotelli, are set on an exit.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Is the Liverpool `keeper wearing a snood?.

Seems to be. I thought they were banned. And if not, they should be

If When I become manager of Liverpool, I'd ban the things, along with black gloves, long sleeves and those ghey leotard tops Rooney always wears. Sign of weakness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Seems to be. I thought they were banned. And if not, they should be

If When I become manager of Liverpool, I'd ban the things, along with black gloves, long sleeves and those ghey leotard tops Rooney always wears. Sign of weakness

Racist!!! ;)

Stupid coloured boots should also be banned...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Here

I assumed you referring to two kicks in the head?
    No boots!! One fluid motion that resulted in him getting both to the face!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

kmart6 wrote: »
    No boots!! One fluid motion that resulted in him getting both to the face!

stop digging dude.

It's my opinion on what happened, so I'll stick to it thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Des wrote: »
    Melodrama much?

I very, very much doubt that this will "ruin the life" of a man who has been earning as much as he has for the last decade or so.

Christ, he has what is a manageable disease, and I'm sure he is getting some of the best available treatment in the world. Fair enough, he may never play for United again, and that is a shame both for himself, the club and the fans, but no, his life won't be ruined. That's stupid hyperbole.

You're better than that flah, you really are.

UC is a very dificult disease to live with. It has potential to develop into cancer.

http://www.crohns.org.uk/Docs/4/uc/Cancer%20and%20UC.html

Some of the side effects such as incredibely painful stomach pain, and diarrhoea can be extremely unpleasant not to mention embarrassing. His diet will be extremely restrictive and he will prpobably end up on heavy duty steroids for the rest of his life, which itself is no walk in the park. If he has to have surgery to remove large parts of his colon he will suffer an awful lot as well.

I don't really see the problem with saying UC could ruin the guy's life (OK maybe a bit of an exageration but he faces a very tough fight just to be able to manage the condition). Throw in the fact that his professional career is almost certainly over.

This is a post from another forum from someone who has the disease:
    Ulcerative Colitus (UC) is a very serious inflammation of the colon and digestive system. Its massively suppresses ones appetite. And last, when it is very bad, it is very difficult to control ones bowel movements.... you literally need to go to pass stool (have a ****!) within a matter of seconds, only to get to the bathroom and nothing comes out.

If you have it for an extended period of time (as mentioned, it comes and goes), then because your appetite is so suppressed, you rapidly lose lots of weight but conversely get a very bloated stomach due to the inflammation of the colon and intestines. And last, over a period of time, if it gets REALLY BAD, it can lead to the most heinous of abdominal pain.

Medical science has no idea yet where this condition/illness comes from. And BTW, its not a 'disease' as some have mentioned nor is it any form of ‘cancer’.

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitus aged 30. It came from nowhere ... I'd never been ill before or since, neither was there any hereditary patterns ... my doctors could not diagnose why I got it. I went through all the symptoms I mentioned above, including abdominal pain at the end that was so bad, I fainted.

Luckily I was with my parents in London, they knew about the condition (I was having a very bad 2 weeks of the condition, been off work for that period and moved into my parents house to be tended after). My parents immediately called 999 and an ambulance quickly took me to hospital.

The doctors diagnosed very serious bout of UC but concluded that they could get me better through medicinal chemistry. So I was fed 25 pills of various sorts a day .... for 6 weeks! The abdominal pain was so bad, I was also given 3 shots of 'pethidin' a day for that duration too. For an indication as to how strong a painkiller this is, or give an indication of the abdominal pain levels felt during very bad periods of UC, pregnant women are given one shot of pethidin during birth to ease their pain.

6 weeks into my ‘chemistry’ treatment (I was in hospital all this time), I had lost about 30% of my body weight. Then one day, the doctor came in with very bad news. the abdominal pains were even stronger than what pethidine could mask and I had an ‘Ethiopian’ bloated stomach. My doctor told me this was because part of my lower colon basically looked ‘like a tea bag’ …. And there was a 70% chance it would burst within the next 48 hours. If it burst, there was a 70% chance that the toxins would be so strong that I would die (nearly fecal matter scattered all inside ones abdomen). The math was easy, 49% chance of dying within next 48 hours.

I asked what solutions there were and they said there was an operation available and that it would ‘cure’ the condition but it was a lengthy 2 stage process and had some risks and was major surgery…. But really I had no choice so I agreed, I assumed the operation would be the next day but they said my condition was so bad they had to operate in the next 5 hours!

Those were some of the most intense, crazy, scary, loving and intimate hours of my life as I genuinely stared ‘death in the face’ …. I was so ill and lost so much ‘health’ due to so much medicine, drugs and very bad UC that the doctors secretly told my mother that they were unsure if my body could ‘take the major surgery’. They told her I had a 40% chance of coming through. But as I said, its not as though I had a choice!

When I woke up post surgery, I genuinely understood what it means to have been ‘hit by a bus’ …. I felt ‘smashed by a club’ all over my body and had 9 pipes coming out of various orifices, holes and parts of my body!!! The operation involved a vertical incision, some 15 inches long from just above the pubic bone all the way up to the middle of my chest (about 3 inches below upper chest). Once they had cut me open, they had cut out the infected part of the colon and also some of my lower intestines. About 8 inches in total.

They had then ‘stitched’ the two loose ends of my colon together again. However, because that stitching needed time to heal and the join become strong, they also pulled a healthy upper part of my working colon through a smaller incision on my lower right tummy and put a small incision in that …. which effectively became my anal passage whilst the stiching of my inner colon healed …. and so I also had to wear a colostomy bag.

The colostomy bag was as psychologically challenging as it was a physical adjustment. There was about a 20% chance that the ‘stitched up’ colon would not heal properly and that would mean wearing a colostomy bag for life.

However, given what I had been through, that was the least of my concerns. Now I had to get myself physically and mentally fit again …. for exactly the same operation 4 months later: stage 2 of the process involved them opening you up again in exactly the same manner to check if the necessary healing had taken place, and if so, for them to turn your normal digestive system ‘back on’.

I managed to do this, it’s my life’s greatest achievement, and I was happy to go in for round 2. The 2nd op was much easier, though exactly the same process, because a) I was not a sick, chemically overdosed cabbage b) Psychologically, I knew what was going to happen c) I knew what it would feel like when I woke up.

Of course when I woke up after surgery the 2nd time around, it was 5 times easier than the first time, for all the reasons I just mentioned and they also took away the colostomy bag. SO I was ‘back in order … though had lost 40% of my previous body weight.

In total, I was off work for about 7 months. But in reality, it took me about 5 extra months to get my ‘fitness’ back (ie have the stamina to complete a mentally demanding office job which involved lots of travel) as well as recover a lot of lost self confidence.

But the good news was that my life was completely back to the way it used to be within a year of when I fainted with abdominal pain: I had no dietary constraints, I could play sport like I used to and after abit of time, could carry on perfectly fine with my career and previous social life. The only changes that I needed to make was I would need the bathroom 3 times a day instead of just the once a day before (But I had full control over my bowel movements, unlike before) …. and I have to drink 3 glasses of water a day …. A very small price to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

381788_237865752950624_100001816042447_558234_527339140_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

United rumoured to have made a €30million offer for Nicolas Gaitan.

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    United rumoured to have made a €30million offer for Nicolas Gaitan.

Oh good another winger.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

flahavaj wrote: »
    Oh good another winger.

Source?

http://twitter.com/#!/ArgentinaFW

Obviously to be taken with a pinch of salt with it being Twitter and nothing from either club. Seems to be gathering a good bit of momentum, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Be nice change just to be linked with a midfielder:p

If we buy another winger i freaking give up all hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Maybe the plan is to play 4 wingers across the field thereby eliminating the problem of not having a decent cm .

Is gaitan as good as hype suggests ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I thought Gaitan was a CM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I think Gaitan plays both in the centre as an attacking mid and more recently on the wings interchangeably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,336 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gaitan is very like Mata and Silva in style, two players who both played on the wing in previous years - and two players I am sure we'd all love at United. Sure, he isn't the defensive player I do think we need, but he is a creative attacking player I also think we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Someones edited his wiki page to say he has joined us.

''Manchester United

More to follow....''

Anyways, surely 30 is a bit much? Could we not get a better midfielder for that much? Assuming its true.

Gaitan is very like Mata and Silva in style, two players who both played on the wing in previous years - and two players I am sure we'd all love at United. Sure, he isn't the defensive player I do think we need, but he is a creative attacking player I also think we need.

Would surely necessitate a swith to a three man midfield in that case to get the best of him (not that I'd be particularly averse to doing so mind you)?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Disappointing if true....

Spurs beat Man United in race for Swedish playmaker

Tottenham are close to agreeing a €7.5 million deal for AZ Alkmaar midfielder Rasmus Elm, reports suggest.

Premier League rivals Manchester United have also been monitoring the 23-year-old’s situation but are set to lose out in the race for his signature as they were not preparing a move until 2012.

Manager Harry Redknapp was forced into action after being alerted to United’s interest, with Swedish newspaper Expressen claiming that Spurs have already agreed the transfer and Elm will move to White Hart Lane at the end of the season in a deal until 2015.

The young Swede has a good pedigree, already making 21 full international appearances, with former Sweden coach Lars Lagerback labelling him the most talented player the country has produced since Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Source

Someones edited his wiki page to say he has joined us.

''Manchester United

More to follow....''

Anyways, surely 30 is a bit much? Could we not get a better midfielder for that much? Assuming its true.

think same was done for about 20 other players who still have never put on red jersey.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Would surely necessitate a swith to a three man midfield in that case to get the best of him (not that I'd be particularly averse to doing so mind you)?

I think the fact he can play on the left of midfield would mean we would likely play a 442, with him being given a free(ish) role on the left.

That is said assuming there is any truth to it at all.

Also,I think it would be a potential issue with Young, Nani, Valencia and Park - one of them would need to be on the move. Park would get my vote - but I would still think there could be an issue with 4 wingers of such quality, even if we would be looking to play Gaitan as an ML/AMC hybrid.

I would prefer we sign a more orthodox midfielder - and I would prefer it be a defensive player (as I would like to think we could look to use Cleverley, Pogba, Morrison as the creative midfield player). Just looking at a scenario where we do sign Gaitan.

I will stop having sex for year if this is true:p

Well sure while we are at it

let the fun begin eh!!!

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/ronaldo-return-a-united-possibility-
    Ronaldo return a United possibility?
    Manchester United - Cristiano Ronaldo considering his future with Real Madrid

Reports in Spain are today suggesting Cristiano Ronaldo could make a surprise return to England, with Manchester United one of the clubs to be linked.

The Portuguese winger was 'shocked' by the backlash from fans towards him following the 3-1 defeat to Barcelona in 'El Clasico' on Saturday night, according to the report, and Spanish publication Sport goes on to suggest he is 'seriously considering his future' with Real Madrid.

A return to England is even cited as the player's preference, potentially opening the door to Manchester United over the 26-year-old.

Sir Alex Ferguson first brought the player to Old Trafford in 2003, and after six successful years, the Red Devils sold the 87-cap international for a staggering £80 million.

Success has been hard-to-come-by in Spain under a period of dominance from Barca, and the fans' frustrations boiled over on Saturday during the defeat to their arch-rivals.

Manchester United would undoubtedly jump at the chance to re-sign the two-time PFA Players' Player of the Year, although question marks will be raised over the validity and truth of the story.

The price tag would, of course, be another major issue, and the Manchester United hierarchy would have to sanction a mega-money deal to bring the player back to the club.

Whilst Manchester City have also been linked, the player's loyalty to Manchester United appears to remain strong after rejecting any talk of a move to the Etihad Stadium in the summer, and compatriot Nani is of course impressing for the champions after filling the void left by his international teammate.

We could never ever afford him unfortunately, the beautiful, sexy bastard that he is.:(

Must be worth over the £100m now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

*Fap*

It's never happen.

better chance of him playing for City im afraid, but i still will keep the dream alive;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

stupidly hypothetical q

would you be happy resigning Ronnie for 80m if it means no cm is bought for the next 2 to 3 summers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Spanish press also claim Ozil has the rest of the season to improve or be sold in June,as usual a huge pinch of salt to be taken with these stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

stupidly hypothetical q

would you be happy resigning Ronnie for 80m if it means no cm is bought for the next 2 to 3 summers?

Not at all.

Variety of reasons;

- We couldn't afford it
    - We have problems at the heart of midfield, signing Ronaldo wouldn't change that
    - He's a relatively selfish player (perhaps self-centred is more apt), he will absolutely destroy weaker teams, but he struggles in games against big sides. Admittedly he might have helped us beat a Basel or Benfica, but would he help us win against Chelsea or Man City?

To put it another way, if we were rich, and had a midfield, I'd take him back in a heartbeat, but we're not.

Looking at Wiki so taking this with a huge pinch of salt....

His buy out clause isn't €1billion is it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

No chance we will ever see Ronaldo back at old trafford, theres more chance of city getting him. The Nicolas Gaiten rumours are interesting though, I actually think sir alex wants him but more likely to get him in the summer, he reminds me of alexis sanchez

• Advertisement

Theres more of a chance Patrice Evra and Luis Suarez coming out as Gay lovers then Cristiano Ronaldo ever coming back to Manutd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,370 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No chance we will ever see Ronaldo back at old trafford, theres more chance of city getting him. The Nicolas Gaiten rumours are interesting though, I actually think sir alex wants him but more likely to get him in the summer, he reminds me of alexis sanchez
    wouldn't say never, unlikely yes but he has nothing but respect for the club and could see him coming back in 5 or 6 years.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Manchester-United-transfer-gossip-Antonio-Valencia-is-Juventus-target-but-will-not-be-sold-in-January-article843131.html
    Manchester United will refuse point blank any offer for Antonio Valencia in the January transfer window.

Juventus are desperately keen on snatching the Ecuador winger, who has struggled to make an impact on the first team this season following the summer capture of Aston Villa's Ashley Young.

Speculation has mounted that, after only three league starts in the current campaign, the £15million-rated midfielder would be allowed to leave when the window opened.

But United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has told the player's agent there is no chance of that, because his squad has been stretched to the limit by injuries to nine senior players.

That stance, according to his agent Diego Herrera Larrea, suits Valencia just fine as he is determined to win back a regular place in the starting XI.

"I am aware of rumours of Juventus' interest, but he is very happy in Manchester and I see it as very difficult that he leaves United," explained Larrea.

"Antonio recently signed a new four-year deal, and both he and his family are settled and well living in the city, and playing for a big club.

"For my part, there is nothing concrete. There has been interest from Italy, but I don't think that Juve has spoken with United because I was not informed - though I cannot exclude it as a possibility."

Valencia has largely been used in a wide position for United, and managed to force Nani out of the side last season, becoming a regular as the team reached the Champions' League Final.

But he had been increasingly used in central midfield at previous club Wigan before his move to United, and Ferguson may have the idea of calling on the 26-year-old to fill that role again while he's without Darren Fletcher, Anderson and Tom Cleverley.

The Old Trafford boss has made clear that he intends to stand by his current squad and not make a significant plunge into the market during the January window.

Although he could sign some defensive cover if the right deal comes up having also lost Nemanja Vidic to injury for the rest of the season.

There was some good news for Ferguson on Thursday, when Cleverley returned to light training following an ankle injury.

He could be ready to resume playing by the New Year, if all goes to plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

We will never EVER buy anyone from Real Madrid while ferguson is in charge. Feel free to quote me on that.

On Gaitan, if he's played in the Silva role, could be a star. I have my reservations however, he is after all, Argentenian.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I really hope the Gaitan rumour is just a guess from the press and there is no truth in it. As Mitch said, he is like Silva or Mata, but I really don't think that is the type of player that we need now. It would either mean 433 like Flah says, then we have to drop both of our super talented young CFs, or it would be 442 like Mitch says and then Young is being consigned to being a sub already.

If we get in another CM who is properly skillful on the ball (preferably defensively sound too) then I think we'll find that we've got plenty of creativity in the side in Nani, Rooney, Young (if he settles), Welbeck and Cleverly. Gaitan is a handy player and all, but we just don't need him imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Not at all.

Variety of reasons;

- We couldn't afford it
    - We have problems at the heart of midfield, signing Ronaldo wouldn't change that
    - He's a relatively selfish player (perhaps self-centred is more apt), he will absolutely destroy weaker teams, but he struggles in games against big sides. Admittedly he might have helped us beat a Basel or Benfica, but would he help us win against Chelsea or Man City?

To put it another way, if we were rich, and had a midfield, I'd take him back in a heartbeat, but we're not.

I found myself nodding along reading your post till I got to the bolded bit, then i put my head in my hands, shook it, and sighed

Cant believe somebody still questions him against the "bigger" teams, sad really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,370 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Fenix wrote: »
    We will never EVER buy anyone from Real Madrid while ferguson is in charge. Feel free to quote me on that.

On Gaitan, if he's played in the Silva role, could be a star. I have my reservations however, he is after all, Argentenian.
    yeah no good Argentinian players knocking about these days :rolleyes: Definitely none at a top premier league club been making mincemeat of opponents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

kryogen wrote: »
    I found myself nodding along reading your post till I got to the bolded bit, then i put my head in my hands, shook it, and sighed

Cant believe somebody still questions him against the "bigger" teams, sad really

He's been fairly abysmal against Barcelona for Real Madrid. And for United. He has a habit of trying to win games like that on his own. It really does hamper teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I have my reservations however, he is after all, Argentenian.

Touch of the Andy Gray's?

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    yeah no good Argentinian players knocking about these days :rolleyes: Definitely none at a top premier league club been making mincemeat of opponents...
    Touch of the Andy Gray's?

I think he was joking about the fact that Argentine players are invariably a disaster for us, or turn out to be arseholes.

He's been fairly abysmal against Barcelona for Real Madrid. And for United. He has a habit of trying to win games like that on his own. It really does hamper teams.

What big team hasnt he scored against in England?

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/Ronaldos-record.aspx

Your wrong, your just wrong, and since reality hasnt changed your view on the guy Im not gonna be able to with words so Im not going to bother.

Mitch, even in that, which Im assuming is supposed to back up the point that he is not good in big games, in the 67 games they counted he scored 33, thats basically 1 in 2, i dont see that as bad, especially considering he was playing as a winger for most of them and a quote from the article itself
    And, clearly, Ronaldo’s record in big games is not bad. He is certainly not a bottler.

Mitch, even in that, which Im assuming is supposed to back up the point that he is not good in big games, in the 67 games they counted he scored in 33, thats basically 1 in 2, i dont see that as bad, especially considering he was playing as a winger for most of them and a quote from the article itself

It took it as evidence he has a good record in big games!

• Advertisement

Mitch, even in that, which Im assuming is supposed to back up the point that he is not good in big games.

Nope - simply supplying the article. It is an article written specifically to address the Ronaldo in Big Games opinion that I saw the other day.

Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Liam O wrote: »

As flah pointed out, I was referring to our outstandingly awful track record with regards to Argentine players...

Much rather see a Javi Martinez type player but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

stupidly hypothetical q

I would be, assuming we sold one of Nani, Young or Valencia, in order to buy a central midfielder :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I sometimes wonder who these people were watching play at times. Clueless.

I'd have him back at OT in a heartbeat, he's a winner and there is always room for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement