Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Basel could be thrown out of Champions League if FIFA carry out their threat to bAn Switerland from world wide competition.

Not a hope in hell though.

Link:/ http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_asia/fifa-threatens-ban-switzerland-over-sion-case-114730739--spt.html?orig_host_hdr=ph.news.yahoo.com&.intl=ph&.lang=en-ph

TOKYO (AP) — FIFA threatened to suspend Switzerland from world football on Saturday if its national association does not discipline litigious club FC Sion by Jan. 13.

If the suspension took effect, Swiss champion FC Basel would be prevented from playing Bayern Munich in the Champions League round of 16. The first leg is scheduled Feb. 22 in Basel.

Basel advanced from its Champions League group ahead of Manchester United, which would logically be reinstated by organizer UEFA.

Switzerland's Football Association has a further incentive to meet FIFA's demand — it is scheduled to host Lionel Messi and Argentina in a Feb. 29 friendly in Bern.

Swiss FA leaders were meeting Saturday to weigh the FIFA ultimatum.

Sion has breached football's rules in a legal saga since 2009 when FIFA imposed a one-year transfer ban for breaking transfer regulations in the signing of goalkeeper Essam El-Hadary.

On Saturday, FIFA criticized "the attitude of the club repeatedly trying to circumvent this decision in a legally abusive manner," in a statement issued after a meeting of its executive committee.

Sion's determination to fight football and legal authorities led it to launch a series of civil court actions against UEFA since being expelled from the Europa League in September for fielding players that were signed during the transfer ban.

FIFA and UEFA were backed on Thursday by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which upheld UEFA's right to kick Sion out of the competition based on FIFA's transfer sanction.

FIFA stepped up the fight Saturday by ordering the Swiss FA to enforce a ban on registering six Sion players signed in the offseason during the transfer embargo.

"As a consequence, all matches in which the relevant players participated shall be declared forfeit or three points shall be deducted respectively," FIFA said. "Should this deadline not be respected, the Swiss FA will be automatically suspended from Jan. 14, 2012 onwards."

Under the terms of a FIFA suspension, a country's national and club teams, referees and officials are prohibited from taking part in international matches and meetings, or receive FIFA funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

1,000,000/1 shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Can't see this happening somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I dont want this to happen. Basel won it fairly and it would be embarrassing to take their place.

Also if they do then draw would be joke as when Basel could have drawn Chelsea or Arsenal whereas we couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Basel are kicked out, which would be unfair, I think Bayern should be given a bye rather than us reinstated. Basel did not beat us to qualification by cheating, they simply did better than us and we did not deserve to qualify - i would be very against us being reinstated to the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

If Basel are kicked out, which would be unfair, I think Bayern should be given a bye rather than us reinstated. Basel did not beat us to qualification by cheating, they simply did better than us and we did not deserve to qualify - i would be very against us being reinstated to the CL.

Totally agree, it would be crazy to reinstate a team who has done nothing to deserve a place in the next round. It's ridiculous enough that we have been put into the EL and putting us into the CL again would be a complete farce. This is UEFA though so I wouldn't put anything past them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

It would be fooking hilarious if Utd got back in, just to see the absolute **** storm it would cause on the likes of RAWK. I'm all for it :pac:

it won't happen in first place, so we won't need to be embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Liverpool fan here, so not to schooled on utds youth coming through. What type of player is Pogba? Is he what you are missing in the middle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liverpool fan here, so not to schooled on utds youth coming through. What type of player is Pogba? Is he what you are missing in the middle?

Patrice Vieira with a decent eye for a pass

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who also likes the odd wondergoal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Denmark were reinstated to Euro '92 despite 'not deserving' to qualify. I doubt many of their fans today give a flying fúck about the righteousness of it all.

I'd take reinstatement into the CL no problem. Surely little to no chance of it happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

This should generate a bit of debate :
    FrankSunTimes Frank Fitzgibbon

Two-page interview with Roy Keane in tomorrow's Sunday Times. He's not pleased with Ferguson, not pleased at all...

1 hour ago FavoriteRetweetReply

eigrod wrote: »

Man I loved Roy as a player the man was one my idols, but fecking hell he become a right pain in the arse over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Text from link:-

Manchester United players are begging Paul Scholes to ease the club's injury crisis by coming out of retirement, according to reports.

But it's claimed that Sir Alex Ferguson has yet to call on the 37-year-old, now coaching youth and reserve teams for the Old Trafford giants.

Scholes' glittering career ended with a whimper last season, when he was sent off as United lost the FA Cup semi-final to Manchester City and chased shadows as a late sub against Barcelona in the Champions League final defeat.

Now The Sun claims his old team-mates are hinting that he should return in the New Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Manchester United players are begging Paul Scholes to ease the club's injury crisis by coming out of retirement, according to reports.

But it's claimed that Sir Alex Ferguson has yet to call on the 37-year-old, now coaching youth and reserve teams for the Old Trafford giants.

Scholes' glittering career ended with a whimper last season, when he was sent off as United lost the FA Cup semi-final to Manchester City and chased shadows as a late sub against Barcelona in the Champions League final defeat.

Now The Sun claims his old team-mates are hinting that he should return in the New Year.

Scholes was and is a United legend, but I'd hate to see this. I don't think he's able for it any more, and I don't think he'd come back either.

TBH I think the story is load of crap, just like 95% of the transfer talk they about us in relation to buying players.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Can we get a new superthread. Sick of that OP. Please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Have to laugh at Rooney getting worked up in this towards the end!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

lordgoat wrote: »
    Can we get a new superthread. Sick of that OP. Please!

Just 500 posts to go, so if United lose tomorrow we should have a new one within an hour of the game ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

kmart6 wrote: »
    Have to laugh at Rooney getting worked up in this towards the end!

He was gas on Sky chatting about it earlier. Claimed Lescott was playing for pen's, said that wasn't how the game should be played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I'm dreaming of a QPR win ............. we already have the white Christmas :)
    The last time I felt as positive as this was the night before Dennis Bailey's hat trick in QPR's 4 - 1 demolition of UTD at Old Trafford about 20 years ago. The South will rise again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Spread wrote: »
    I'm dreaming of a QPR win ............. we already have the white Christmas :)
    The last time I felt as positive as this was the night before Dennis Bailey's hat trick in QPR's 4 - 1 demolition of UTD at Old Trafford about 20 years ago. The South will rise again :D

QPR have a great chance tomorrow IMO. They are at home and Man U are really lacking in midfield. Could be a banana skin for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

eigrod wrote: »

Man I loved Roy as a player the man was one my idols, but fecking hell he become a right pain in the arse over the last few years.

He's a bitter man. It might be due to his failure as a manager or how things ended for him at United.

smokedeels wrote: »
    He's a bitter man. It might be due to his failure as a manager or how things ended for him at United.

In fairness there been far worse mangers then Keane. He did an pretty good job with Sunderland and things just went bust with Ipswich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What's the story with Ashley Young lads? Lots of hype at the start of the season but his name has barely been mentioned since? Has he been injured or did I just make that up?

Paully D wrote: »
    What's the story with Ashley Young lads? Lots of hype at the start of the season but his name has barely been mentioned since? Has he been injured or did I just make that up?
    Yeah, his little piggy went to market.

• Advertisement

I like him, he's one of my favourite people in football and always has been. I'll never forget what he did for Sunderland and he's been one of my favourite players since I was a kid.

I agree though. His comments are becoming that of a bitter man desperate to get his name ''out there'' again.

It should be an interesting read all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

Do you guys think Utd should buy in the winter?

Paully D wrote: »

He's always been a bit hit or miss. It's been mostly miss from him since the Arsenal game. You expect players to step up when they make a move to a bigger club, he hasn't yet imo.

Scholes was and is a United legend, but I'd hate to see this. I don't think he's able for it any more, and I don't think he'd come back either.

I agree, just getting match fit at his age, after half a season out of football would be a challenge.

smokedeels wrote: »
    He's always been a bit hit or miss. It's been mostly miss from him since the Arsenal game. You expect players to step up when they make a move to a bigger club, he hasn't yet imo.

I've always thought he's been one of the most overrated players in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

He's a fair weather player. When everyone else is playing good, so will he. When we're struggling, he's invisible. Villa fans did warn us.

• Advertisement

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/8963610/Manchester-United-close-to-signing-Benficas-29.3million-Argentina-playmaker-Nicolas-Gaitan.html

Manchester United are close to securing a £29.3million deal to sign Benfica midfielder Nicolás Gaitán at the end of the season, with the Portuguese club understood to have struck an informal agreement with the Premier League champions over the sale of the Argentina international.

Gaitán, who can play as an attacking midfielder or left-sided forward, impressed against Manchester United during Benfica’s Champions League group stage encounters with Sir Alex Ferguson’s team earlier this season, and his arrival at Old Trafford next summer would help fill the void left by Paul Scholes’s retirement last May.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport in October, United’s European scouting team has monitored the 23-year-old’s performances in recent months, with the player under detailed scrutiny during last month’s games against Naval and Sporting Lisbon, and the club moved to head off growing interest in Gaitán from Inter Milan and Paris Saint-Germain by opening negotiations with Benfica in late November.

With Gaitán’s former club, Boca Juniors, entitled to 20 per cent of any transfer fee Benfica receive, the Portuguese club had been holding out for the player’s full £38m release clause, written into his renegotiated contract two months ago. United made it clear they would not meet that figure, and an outline agreement is now in place for a move next June.

Despite United’s mounting injury crisis, which has seen Darren Fletcher join cruciate ligament victim Nemanja Vidic in missing the rest of the season with a chronic bowel condition, Ferguson has conceded Benfica will not sell Gaitán in January.

United, who are also monitoring Benfica midfielder Javi Martínez, are prepared to wait until the summer for Gaitán, however, with Ferguson confident that his squad remains strong enough to compete for the title.

Long-term absentees Tom Cleverley and Anderson are progressing well after ankle and knee injuries respectively and both could return to contention early in the new year.

Mark Ogden is one of the more respectable United journalists so there might be actually something in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

£29 million? Pffffff.....

Oh and great news if true.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/226105/Anderson-s-rapid-Manchester-United-return/
    BRAZILIAN midfielder Anderson is set to make a shock comeback for Manchester United – after returning to training six weeks ahead of schedule.

Anderson is making a speedy recovery from a knee ligament injury. It had been expected he would be out until February.

But he’s already back in training, working with United’s medical staff.

It’s welcome news for manager Sir Alex Ferguson, whose shortage of midfield options increased last week when
    Darren Fletcher was ruled out indefinitely.

The Scotland skipper, 27, has a serious bowel condition.

Anderson, 23, is now expected to be ready fora reserve match early in the new year.

But Fergie’s immediate options remain limited with Tom Cleverley on the long-term injury list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Wouldn't surprised if that turns out to be he's just been having medical work done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

kmart6 wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprised if that turns out to be he's just been having medical work done!

hair cut adaptation

that or extreme weight watchers :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Anyonw have the Roy Keane interview? It's behind the times paywall

Keane's interviw here. Quite a decent read.

He hasn't much time for Fergie.

It's too long to quote the whole article

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/roy-keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Read elsewhere that a lot of United's coaching staff are really impressed by Anderson. Apparently he's been told his knee troubles are coming from his weight, and now is getting much fitter and leaner as a result. Maybe the cookie has finally dropped, and he realises it's perform or move on at this stage. He's got the best chance he ever will to impose himself on this United team, so let's hope he can come back in January and do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I never thought Anderson had any outstanding attributes, good at nearly everything, master of nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

That weight loss news was misinformed. All he did was cut his hair

http://i.imgur.com/8w9qo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Keane's interviw here. Quite a decent read.

He hasn't much time for Fergie.

It's too long to quote the whole article

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/roy-keane

Thanks for that. A fascinating insight into Ferguson. The solicitor's letter (backed by Ferguson) after Keane did the Irish Times interview is stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Keane can head on with himself now to be fair... Class player but nobody is bigger than the club and the management especially when the team is successful. Bodies on the line give me a fooking break
    I never thought Anderson had any outstanding attributes, good at nearly everything, master of nothing

He's one of the worst striker of a ball I've ever seen. Couldn't shoot his load if he had high speed internet and a bottle of supervalu finest lube.

Don't really know why, but I'm pissing myself laughing at this part of the Keane interview:
    Encouraged, he returned to the DW stadium two weeks later for the Arsenal game. Parking his car a mile from the ground, he ran from there and returned to the lady he had dealt with for the Blackburn ticket. There were just over 19,000 people inside the ground, leaving more than 5,000 empty seats.

“With my cap and scarf, she didn’t know who I was. ‘Listen, I was here two weeks ago and bought a ticket then, can I buy one now?’ She said this was a different category game and she needed my details. I gave my name and address. ‘You’re not on the system’, she said. ‘I know’, I said, ‘but I bought a ticket two weeks ago and you said it was okay’. ‘That was for Blackburn’, she said. ‘Okay’, I said, ‘I’ll buy a season ticket’. She said it wasn’t possible. ‘You’re not on the system’. And I said, ‘I think your club is £37m in debt and you don’t want my money’.

“I did give her a little bit of lip and she said she would call security. ‘Call them’, I said. The security guy came along, put his hands on my arm. ‘Get your hands off me’, I said. He did. I strolled back to my car and drove home.”

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Very interesting take on the relationship with ferguson. seems to have really dislike him now. Sending a solicitors letter to one of their greatest ever players is something that should be beneath Manchester United

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/united-tie-up-deal-for-benficas-gaitan-2966956.html

Independent running with the Gaitan story as well, sounds like there's definitely something in it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement