Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Blatter wrote: »
    I still wouldn't be writing Anderson off just yet. I still have high hopes from him but I feel he'll never be consistent enough to perform in a two man CM.

He could still become a great player for us in a 3. Still only 23 as well.

His chances are no doubt running out but I wouldn't be putting him on the transfer list just yet, he has too much potential imo.

He really got to get his skates on though.

I mean only so much time before it's time to say feck this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

This was always my thinking but there comes a time when you have to cut your losses and bring in different players. Imo time is up for anderson, gibson and berbatov. They have had enough chances without becoming what we hoped they would.

I think at the end of the season and if nothing has changed, then yes.

But he won't be sold in January and he WILL get more chances this season. It's up to him whether or not he takes them, he'll be surely told it's last chance saloon.

If Gibson only had Roy Keane's attitude, he be one the top players at United.

the man has got the talent, but just does not seem interested.

Even with Ireland he seems to be the same. Just not good enough and Fergie has given him enough chances.

Last year was his year to push on from a pretty reasonable 09/10 season when Gibson did play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Seriously? That's Rooney on the left of an attacking three, not exactly a traditional left winger.

So playing on the left of a 433 isn't playing on the left any more?

You still need the trickery and pace to go past the fullback and Rooney doesn't have that as he has shown countless times when he is played out there. His best position is clearly in the centre, any formation that has him on the left is an automatic fail.
    lordgoat wrote: »
    a huge +1 to this, anyone bad mouthing Carrick over the last month or two need a serious ignore. He's been quality for us this season.

People need to stop judging Carrick by his performances against the dregs of the PL and the generally poor alternatives we've had at the club for the last few years. He is still nowhere near good enough to get into any other top European side's first team.

He will not help us to control and use possession when the game is being squeezed by quality opposition. He's done a grand job for us recently, that's fine. Let him be a good squad player while we improve the first team.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pro. F wrote: »
    So playing on the left of a 433 isn't playing on the left any more?

You still need the trickery and pace to go past the fullback and Rooney doesn't have that as he has shown countless times when he is played out there. His best position is clearly in the centre, any formation that has him on the left is an automatic fail.

People need to stop judging Carrick by his performances against the dregs of the PL and the generally poor alternatives we've had at the club for the last few years. He is still nowhere near good enough to get into any other top European side's first team.

He will not help us to control and use possession when the game is being squeezed by quality opposition. He's done a grand job for us recently, that's fine. Let him be a good squad player while we improve the first team.

You win the league by beating the dregs of the PL. Despite the fact that you don't like him, he's an excellent player when on form. He's on form. Playing like he is, i'd gladly have him in the team every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Didn't we always get all hot and bothered when people would criticise Ronaldo for only doing it against the smaller teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

What are people's opinions on signing Gaitan. Yes, we were all asking for a cm(or 2), preferably in the winter too, but is Gaitan the right guy? 30m is a lot of money so you'd want him to make the desired impact as well as the best of them.

Cian A wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on signing Gaitan. Yes, we were all asking for a cm(or 2), preferably in the winter too, but is Gaitan the right guy? 30m is a lot of money so you'd want him to make the desired impact as well as the best of them.

I kinda hope the story is not true.

Now I have only seen the lad about 10 times(on CL duty and Bet365 tv) but he not near 30 million imo.

Good player, but not the Holy grail we need if being honest.

But be happy to eat my hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

flahavaj wrote: »
    Didn't we always get all hot and bothered when people would criticise Ronaldo for only doing it against the smaller teams?

Doing it against the "smaller" teams wins you the league.

City battered us 6-1 and we are only a City draw and a win from going level.

Can anyone tell me about this Gaitan fella?

All I can see from reading up on him is that he plays out on the right and is similar to Nani in his positioning.

I really wouldn't believe it that much if that's the case. Unless he can play further into the center I don't see the need.

Le King wrote: »
    Doing it against the "smaller" teams wins you the league.

City battered us 6-1 and we are only a City draw and a win from going level.

All I can see from reading up on him is that he plays out on the right and is similar to Nani in his positioning.

I really wouldn't believe it that much if that's the case. Unless he can play further into the center I don't see the need.

He's a left footer who's been playing on the right a lot this season. A nit like an inverse Nani so.

• Advertisement

He plays on the left for Benfica a good bit, but is very capable playing either side or through the centre.

He's your typical Mata/Silva type creative player. Silky touch, excellent close control, great vision and very creative with a tendancy to drift in and out of games. I'm going to watch more Benfica games to get a good look at him.

I'm not saying he's as good as Silva or Mata, I'd need to see more of him but he's very much so that type of player and I think it would be useful to have one of those in the squad. Would offer us more options.

You can understand it if Giggs is going to retire in the Summer and maybe another player might leave also making room for him.

I rather wait till summer to buy particularly with Cleverly and Anderson coming back soon.

While I would love to buy I dont think United should just throw away 30million on somebody who really not proven in Middle of pitch.

I rather us spend 15million over value price of 2 top midfield players in the summer then panic buy in January.

I rather wait till summer to buy particularly with Cleverly and Anderson coming back soon.

While I would love to buy I dont think United should just throw away 30million on somebody who really not proven in Middle of pitch.

I rather us spend 15million over value price of 2 top midfield players in the summer then panic buy in January.

Talk is that Gaitan won't come till the Summer anyway.

The deal is being mooted for the Summer, not January.

Ah Ok, I must keep uptodate, the slow fecker I am:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm getting pissed with people ragging on Carrick at the moment, he has been amongst the best of our players for a while now, and to say he will be dropped for Anderson who has had a handfull of good performances over the last 12 months - while being stinking crap in the last number he played - is freaking perplexing. For my money, Anderson's most recent run of form was playing him on to the transfer list.

I agree with this, especially since we're out of the CL. If we were in the CL, I'd want Anderson and Cleverely thrown in, as I think Carrick will ultimately fail in the big games. However, we don't really have any of them left now, so Carrick week in week out if worth it.

Anderson should fight to get into the team, and then see what happens.

Somebody at United really needs to tell Ravel Morrison to give the twitter a miss.

lordgoat wrote: »
    You win the league by beating the dregs of the PL. Despite the fact that you don't like him, he's an excellent player when on form. He's on form. Playing like he is, i'd gladly have him in the team every week.

He is not an excellent player when on form. Schweinsteiger, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Yaya Toure are excellent players. Carrick at his absolute best form is nowhere near them.

You do win the league by beating the dregs, but it's not the case that a superior player to Carrick would be less effective at beating the dregs. He doesn't have any special skills that make him more effective against weak sides, he is just poor against better sides.
    flahavaj wrote: »

That was just not true. And anyway what Ronaldo brought to the job of disposing of weak opposition >>>>>>> what Carrick brings to the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just saw this on facebook. Great thinking from Wazza for the clue haha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Yaya Toure and Xabi Alonso are overrated IMO. Neither are near the level of Xavi.

Sahin and Schweinsteiger are better players.

Yaya Toure and Xabi Alonso are overrated IMO. Neither are near the level of Xavi.

Sahin and Schweinsteiger are better players.

Not being near the level of Xavi (which I don't agree with) still doesn't mean they are near the level of Carrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Benfica fan posted this about Gaitan.
    Joelzinho wrote:
    From a Benfica fan, I want SLB to take the money and run. But in my opinion he's not worth that much money. Something like 20, 25m € would be more on point with his talent/potential. When he first arrived a few years ago I was not sold at all. But he has now become a concrete starter in a team which changes their offensive weapons often. Hes left footed, but can take or make shot with his right, (more two footed when compared to Di Maria or Fabio Coentrao). His shot has surprised the hell out of me more then once.

He isn't unbelievably fast, quick, or skilled, and has enough pace combined with the aforementioned skill to turn defenders. He has a good shot on him, which seems to be improving. He was actually a CAM before comin to SLB and sometimes plays that position. A modern winger, will play what the defense gives him. If they defend the cut in he has no problem taking the ball along the by line, throwing in a cross and vice versa. Is a bit selfish at times.

If he goes I won't be sad to see him go. I was much more distraught when Di Maria and Fabio were sold. I also don't think he is or will be better then Nani, but can equal Valencia and Young.

Is Nico a buy for United? I think so, considering Giggs getting older, and Park becoming less effective. At the quoted price? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

As a big time lurker on this forum ye end up having te same argument about carrick every year. it breaks down as first part being critical of him then loving him due to a couple of good games then being critical again........just not as badly as the first time.

Problem with carrick, anderson and at the moment cleverly and young is consistentency. There is none what soever. Until that prob is sorted i don't think we'll be able to hobble to another title as we did last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

If Gibson only had Roy Keane's attitude, he be one the top players at United.

the man has got the talent, but just does not seem interested.

Even with Ireland he seems to be the same. Just not good enough and Fergie has given him enough chances.

Last year was his year to push on from a pretty reasonable 09/10 season when Gibson did play.

gibson has some talent - yes
    but doesn't have the drive or energy or winning mentality for manu
    a move to everton or wigan is up his street
    there he'll be able to claim a good wage, play 30+ games a season, buy a nice house, maybe get married, etc
    he is a loser who shoulda be tossed out 2 yrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Gaitan is not worth €30m and is not the player we need he wont dictate games wont change the pattern of a game and wont be the type to slow a game down if needed,if giggs retires and park is sold fair enough but still not for €30m.

carrick is playing better recently because he is playing a lot further up field than he ever has but lets not forget if it wasnt for injuries he wouldnt even be getting his game as shown when we had a fully fit midfield.

can someone tell me what all the hype about pogba is? he has been referred to as a better viera but ive seen nothing to suggest that in the few brief times he's got game time in the cc,reserve football is a million miles away from premiership standard,yes he looks decent but has a long long way to go and to think he wants a better contract and not even getting first team action is what is wrong in football today,greed pure f#####g greed.

rooney should be playing up top,it's his natural position and thats when he does the damage he's capable of,i hope saf buys the midfield that we and he needs then we will see the roo of old back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

racso1975 wrote: »
    As a big time lurker on this forum ye end up having te same argument about carrick every year. it breaks down as first part being critical of him then loving him due to a couple of good games then being critical again........just not as badly as the first time.

personally i rate carrick really highly. in his 5 years at the club, he has 4 PL medals and we have appeared in 3 domestic cup finals and 3 CL finals. in those 5 years, he averages just under 50 games a season. people go on about inconsistent, all our players have huge wobbles now and then, its the nature of being a footballer. look at rooney ffs, all his goals come in spurts of 7 or 8 games and then he doesnt score for 7 or 8.

carricks record is more than justifying itself. our problem is the options beside him are not that good at the moment and others are too injury proned. a combinaton of jones, carrick, ando, cleverly and giggs will do so much, but overall its not good enough, so we need at least one more top player in there, a player that this club deserves.

Surprised that Rene Meulensteen quotes are not posted here (Sorry if it is posted)

On Eriksen,
    "This is a player that is on our radar," Meulensteen told Voetbal International.

"But that is to be expected. If people weren't looking, no-one would ever have an opinion on these players.

"It is true that a player like Eriksen would fit our transfer policy.

"He is being strongly linked with us, but to suggest that we are about to make a move is not true."

He is such a transfer muppet like most of us :D He said same about Sneijder and Stekelenburg.

Edit: Actually I missed out the last line *Palm*.

Giggsy11 wrote: »

He is such a transfer muppet like most of us :D He said same about Sneijder and Stekelenburg.

well i think most people in the club expect Sneijder deal to be done, not just him.

Stekelenburg alright was never signing for us, that de gea transfer was all but done in the winter of last year.

well i think most people in the club expect Sneijder deal to be done, not just him.

Stekelenburg alright was never signing for us, that de gea transfer was all but done in the winter of last year.

Being Fergi'e right hand man I thought he would be knowing much better than rest of us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

According to the Mail's Ian Ladyman on twitter 'MUFC have zero interest in Gaitan at Benfica. Won't be happening.'

According to the Mail's Ian Ladyman on twitter 'MUFC have zero interest in Gaitan at Benfica. Won't be happening.'

Why am I not surprised!

Still the day they say they ain't buying anybody is the day they do.

It's the supposed "done deals" that really are the killer.

well we are interested in him, but i dont think we will pay anywhere near that money for somebody who we dont really need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Seen a tweet not longer after that one saing
    "Manchester United are not going to sign Gaitan after Benfica asked for something called money in return"
    I giggled.

Still don't see him as the answer to the midfield problems. Not for that money anyway.
    No point getting our hopes up for a midfield signing anyway, only be let down again. I learned my lesson in the summer and won't be getting excited until I see the player standing with a Jersey beside Gill and SAF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This could have been written this time last year, and highlights just how ludicrus it was that we didn't buy a midfielder during the past summer transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

This could have been written this time last year, and highlights just how ludicrus it was that we didn't buy a midfielder during the past summer transfer window.

Past three transfer windows.

So here goes.

United can buy two midfielders in the summer who would you guys/girls buy?

Lets keep it realistic.

At the moment im not even 100% sure who I would like trying think of good combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Past three transfer windows.

Heh, long before three transfer windows ago people were rightly commenting that Ronaldo was papering over serious cracks in our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So here goes.

Lets keep it realistic.

At the moment im not even 100% sure who I would like trying think of good combo.

For two purchases, Javi Martinez and Christian Eriksen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

So here goes.

Lets keep it realistic.

I'm assuming there is not much money.

Javi Martinez from Athletic Bilbao. and one of the following.
    If United are selling Paul Pogba to Inter get Esteban Cambiasso as part of the deal.
    Matthieu Flamini from Milan.
    Sami Khedira if he is still picking splinters out of his ass.

I would love if United tested the resolve of Arsenal over Jack Wilshire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

And even 1 of those two would be be great to see at OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

So here goes.

Lets keep it realistic.

Schweinsteiger and Modric.............oh you said realistic.....I don't know,some winger and a defender.

So here goes.

Lets keep it realistic.

Javi Martinez and Ever Banega.

or

Javi Martinez and Vidal

I would be happy with any of the above 2 combination, if i have to pick one then Javi Martinez and Ever Banega as Vidal just moved to Juve and I dont think he will be leaving any time soon.

Is Eriksen really as good as people say?

I just not seen enough to make opinion.

Only ever heard good things.

If I was pick I go Martinez still need choose another.

Is Eriksen really as good as people say?

I just not seen enough to make opinion.

Only ever heard good things.

If I was pick I go Martinez still need choose another.

In very few games I have seen, he never played as a CM. He played as a proper #10, behind striker. Thats the impression I got seeing his positoning on the field.

But undeniable talent.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    In very few games I have seen, he never played as a CM. He played as a proper #10, behind striker. Thats the impression I got seeing his positoning on the field.

But undeniable talent.

Cheers.

He does seem to be linked with United all time at moment in some paper or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Xherdan Shaqiri for £10m come January, apparently.

lhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2076476/Xherdan-Shaqiri-wanted-Manchester-United.html

Just what we need, another winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Xherdan Shaqiri for £10m come January, apparently.

lhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2076476/Xherdan-Shaqiri-wanted-Manchester-United.html

Just what we need, another winger.

I don't know what it is about that lad but I wouldn't sign him in a month of Sundays. Standard papers thing anyway, any time a guy has a decent game against United you'd swear David Gill gives himself a paper cut in his haste to get the chequebook out.

Reminds me a bit of Yuri Basturk, always played well against us but was utterly detestable for some reason and was ultimately crap.

I doubt strongly we'll be hearing much of the name "Shaqiri" in the years to come but we'll see I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

I would love if United tested the resolve of Arsenal over Jack Wilshire.

would never ever ever ever ever ever happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

baldshin wrote: »
    Hilarious!

Fishing for thanks there son. You must have missed my post a few hours before you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement