Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Gaiten
    Gotze
    Shaquiri
    Eriksson
    Sneijder

These are NOT the type of player we need, they are not Central Midfielders, you coud not play these in a 442 system where they are 1 of 2 centre midfielders,(maybe sneijder at a push) they would play just behind a sole striker or on the left or right and drift inside, they are similar to nasri and silva

We need someone like, perhaps 2

Toure
    Martinez
    Vidal
    Schweinstegger
    Xavi

These types of players have a defensive solidarity and dictate play to allow the others I mentioned above to do their thing

We should have signed Vidal in the summer, Bayern wanted him as well, but he went to Juventus for 12m euro, pittance, hes a Brillant tackler, covers a hugh amount of ground, but also has great vision and a superb range of passing, himself and martinez would sort our problems out in the morning and I still think both are gettable despite vidal being at juve

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭parc

I view united as being the incredibly handsome and dapper bastard who just cant get the stunners anymore. Not because they have faded, but due to a brain transplant (Glazers).

All the top quality totty midfielders go to City (Silva, Nasri), Chelsea (Mata), or Real Madrid (take your pick) and United punch under the wight when it comes to transfers in the middle of the park.

As I think I mentioned before, I was watching a video of zidane the other day and was thinking...we should have some similar to him in midfield (obviously to get someone just as good would almost impossible but someone of his creative ilk)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Blaise Matuidi
    Rasmus Elm
    Diego

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Wilshere is a proper Arsenal fan, and would never want to leave. I really doubt that Arsenal would want to ever let him leave. I cant see him moving from Arsenal, and definitely not to Manchester.

On Shaqiri, he has done an awful lot more than just have a decent game or two against United. He shone at the u21 Euros this year as well as breaking into the full Swiss side in the last year. At the age of only 20, this kid has a lot of talent and potential to make it big. May not be a fit for us as he likes to drift between the wing and the number 10 spot, but that doesnt mean he hasnt got bags of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

VW 1 wrote: »
    Wilshere is a proper Arsenal fan, and would never want to leave. I really doubt that Arsenal would want to ever let him leave. I cant see him moving from Arsenal, and definitely not to Manchester.

On Shaqiri, he has done an awful lot more than just have a decent game or two against United. He shone at the u21 Euros this year as well as breaking into the full Swiss side in the last year. At the age of only 20, this kid has a lot of talent and potential to make it big. May not be a fit for us as he likes to drift between the wing and the number 10 spot, but that doesnt mean he hasnt got bags of talent.

Sounds a lot like Johan Vonlanthen, remember him?

You know when you see guys, I've seen him, he won't make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Exactly. He was brilliant during the under 21s competition, really impressed me. I fancy him to be a top player in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Shaquiri will make it.

Be interesting to follow in the future anyway, we'll see what he's up to in the remainder of the ECL, will give us a reasonable idea.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sounds a lot like Johan Vonlanthen, remember him?

You know when you see guys, I've seen him, he won't make it.

No I cant remember him, but I'm guessing that would prove the point you are trying to make? :D

What is it about Shaqiri that makes you think he wont make it?

For me one of the reasons I expect him to do quite well with his career would be the fact that whenever he gets on the ball he looks like doing something/creating something or at least scaring the shít out of defenders.

He has pace, good control, passing is decent, and he also has a rocket of a shot.

No I cant remember him, but I'm guessing that would prove the point you are trying to make? :D

What is it about Shaqiri that makes you think he wont make it?

For me one of the reasons I expect him to do quite well with his career would be the fact that whenever he gets on the ball he looks like doing something/creating something or at least scaring the shít out of defenders.

He has pace, good control, passing is decent, and he also has a rocket of a shot.

Ah, I dunno, nothing too scientific. I just think young lads like him with a bit of pace and trickery are a dime a dozen and tend to look more impressive than they really are.

Easy for me to say obv!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Gaiten
    Gotze
    Shaquiri
    Eriksson
    Sneijder

All quite realistic signings, bar maybe Sneijder.

Toure
    Martinez
    Vidal
    Schweinstegger
    Xavi

All dreamland signings, bar maybe Martinez. Care to give a realistic suggestion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'm assuming there is not much money.

Javi Martinez from Athletic Bilbao. and one of the following.
    If United are selling Paul Pogba to Inter get Esteban Cambiasso as part of the deal.
    Matthieu Flamini from Milan.
    Sami Khedira if he is still picking splinters out of his ass.

I would love if United tested the resolve of Arsenal over Jack Wilshire.

Flamini is rubbish. If you are looking at Milan you'd have to pick out KPB.
    Cambiasso is 31. I'd imagine we would have to pay to get Cambiasso in any part of such a ludicrous deal.

Gaiten
    Gotze
    Shaquiri
    Eriksson
    Sneijder

These are NOT the type of player we need, they are not Central Midfielders, you coud not play these in a 442 system where they are 1 of 2 centre midfielders,(maybe sneijder at a push) they would play just behind a sole striker or on the left or right and drift inside, they are similar to nasri and silva

Toure
    Martinez
    Vidal
    Schweinstegger
    Xavi

These types of players have a defensive solidarity and dictate play to allow the others I mentioned above to do their thing

We should have signed Vidal in the summer, Bayern wanted him as well, but he went to Juventus for 12m euro, pittance, hes a Brillant tackler, covers a hugh amount of ground, but also has great vision and a superb range of passing, himself and martinez would sort our problems out in the morning and I still think both are gettable despite vidal being at juve

Those are four different types of midfielders you have picked out and realistically the only one that is even plausible is Martinez.

Schweinsteiger and Yaya Toure are overrated. Vidal and Martinez are never going to play together.

And Bayern wanted Vidal because Schweinsteiger was getting tortured in the middle of the park last year against the big sides, particularly when he tried to sit deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Two realistic targets come January for me.

Javier Martinez
    Cheick Tiote

baz2009 wrote: »

Originally Posted by shadowcomplex viewpost.gif
    Gaiten
    Gotze
    Shaquiri
    Eriksson
    Sneijder

Toure
    Martinez
    Vidal
    Schweinstegger
    Xavi

All dreamland signings, bar maybe Martinez. Care to give a realistic suggestion?

Baz no chance in hell will we get Goetze. Besides the fact that he has a level head on his shoulders and doesnt want to leave Dortmund (for now), if he did the asking price would be gigantic, and the suitors would be City and Madrid.

And on the second part, the dreamland signings, every team in the world could do with two of those.

One signing would be enough imo, with the emergence of Cleverley, the boy wonder Jones, added to Carrick, Anderson and Giggs (for now).

For me the signing of choice outside of the impossible options (Modric, Schweinsteiger etc) would be Martinez. If we blow 30mil on a player it should be him. Looking at the likes of Silva Mata Aguero and how quickly they have become settled and established, we would hopefully see similar success and more of an all rounder in Martinez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I have a sinking feeling we might be in for Rodwell. I know the papers are saying Chelsea are in for them but he seems the type Ferguson would like to sign. Don't rate him that highly myself, he's decent but I think we need better.

Just buy Tiote and Cabaye

G.K. wrote: »
    Just buy Tiote and Cabaye

We could have purchased both for £10m.

Just sort out the fúcking scouting system.

Le King wrote: »

Schweinsteiger and Yaya Toure are overrated.

618px_JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

baz2009 wrote: »

The list was used just to give an example of what we need compared to what we are being linked with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Estebancambiass

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Biglia
    Martinez
    M'Vila
    Banega
    De Rossi...? maybe not
    Gotze
    Sandro

realistic,in no paticular order

jambofc wrote: »
    Biglia
    Martinez
    M'Vila
    Banega
    De Rossi...? maybe not
    Gotze
    Sandro

Not a central midfielder plus everyone will want him, he will probably end up at Real Madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I also have a feeling it will be rodwell, not sure how i feel about that with Gibson goin the other way maybe!

jambofc wrote: »
    Biglia
    Martinez
    M'Vila
    Banega
    De Rossi...? maybe not
    Gotze
    Sandro

Again, see above for Goetze, no way is he realistic.

For Sandro we would have to bend over and lube up for Mr. Levy, Sandro is 22 and recently signed a 5 year deal (September).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

bullvine wrote: »
    I also have a feeling it will be rodwell!

this. i dont expect us to sign anybody in the january window, as ive lost all faith in the clubs transfer policy after the summer and 3 years of missed chances to sign a CM.

however, if i was to pick a player i think we would go for, it would be rodwell. i dont think he would be a great signing, i dont think he is what we need, he is too similar to Jones imo.

Martinez would be the ideal signing, but Fergie is too stubborn to sign him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

the quiz for any1 who wants to watch b4 its taken down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Haha, so true.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/manchester-united-transfer-rumour-template

We can exclusively reveal Manchester United have today been widely linked with *insert player here* by various sources.

Reports are suggesting United have been watching *insert player here* for some time but may be rushed into making a move given the recent injuries to *insert player here*, *insert player here*, *insert player here*, and *insert player here*. The urgency has also been increased with news *insert club here* are keeping an eye on the situation themselves and may swoop in to leave United disappointed.

A source close to the player has told us that *insert player here* would be keen on a move to Old Trafford but is happy where he is right now and remains patient about his future. In his latest press conference Sir Alex Ferguson rubbished rumours that a deal was imminent by insisting he's not likely to add to his squad in January and stating he's "Happy with the players currently available.".

However, it's thought this is just a smokescreen and that United are preparing a *insert amount here* bid for the player after holding tentative talks with his club *insert club here* and agent.

*insert player here* would fit in well with the United squad as he's able to play *insert position here* as well as *insert position here* and has even been known to help out at *insert position here*, giving Ferguson options and providing cover to his injury hit squad. The player is thought to be seeking assurances that he'll start games regularly as he looks to cement his place in the *insert country here* national team.

Signing the player would go some way to appeasing restless fans who are concerned about the strength of the squad following their recent humiliating exit from the Champions League. Should a deal not be struck then Ferguson is likely to turn his attentions back to Wesley Sneijder and try and get the player for less than the £35m he was quoted in the summer.

Rodwell would be a superb signing, the detractors are maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

• Advertisement

Rodwell would be a superb signing, the detractors are maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

But surely he will end up at CB eventually like Phil Jones, given his natural attributes.

hmmm, dunno, i dont think he is what we need, similar to jones. maybe when rio or carrick leave, he would be needed, but now he would only be a panic buy to replace vidic.

of course, an injury to rio would see jones go back CH, then we have a problem.

hmmm, dunno, i dont think he is what we need, similar to jones. maybe when rio or carrick leave, he would be needed, but now he would only be a panic buy to replace vidic.

of course, an injury to rio would see jones go back CH, then we have a problem.

Jesus I dunno, I think he's touched by greatness the same way Jones is - think he's going to be a fantastic box to box CM for years.

Put it this way, I'd hate to see Chelsea sign him.

Jesus I dunno, I think he's touched by greatness the same way Jones is - think he's going to be a fantastic box to box CM for years.

Put it this way, I'd hate to see Chelsea sign him.

When I hear his name all I think of is the goal that he scored against us. Screamer.

Schweinsteiger and Yaya Toure are overrated.

618px_JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

Retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

If we're going to raid Everton for a player then it might as well be Ross Barkley (Don't think we would get away with raiding both).

He'll end up the better player of the two IMO.

Although he just signed a 4 year contract apparently so he won't be available for a while but he is worth the wait IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anyone seen the video of the charades game with Rooney doing Bend it like Beckham?

Video in the article. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2076526/Wayne-Rooney-leaves-Alex-Ferguson-stunned-David-Beckham-gag-Man-Us-Christmas-quiz.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheTownie wrote: »
    If we're going to raid Everton for a player then it might as well be Ross Barkley (Don't think we would get away with raiding both).

Although he just signed a 4 year contract apparently so he won't be available for a while but he is worth the wait IMO.

Worth noting that Barkley played vs United reserves a few weeks ago, not a bad everton side that night, and he was completely outshone by Morrison and Pogba.

Retarded.

On what basis do you say this? Have you watched much of Schweinsteiger or Toure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1468510_paul-pogba-reveals-manchester-uniteds-hunger
    United's highly rated teenage midfield Paul Pogba admits he is greedy – to sink his teeth into an Old Trafford senior place.

The French youngster has been at the centre of speculation over his future with Serie A giants Inter Milan rumoured to be ready to step in and snatch him from United.

The Italians have been alerted by the fact that Pogba, signed from Le Havre in an acrimonious deal in 2009, is stalling on signing a new Reds contract.

His current deal expires in the summer but Sir Alex Ferguson revealed last week that there is a 12-month extension clause written into the 18-year-old’s deal.

Advice

The United boss was critical of Pogba’s agent and urged the young powerful engine room operator to sign up to a future career with the Reds because he will get the riches at Old Trafford.

Pogba appears to be set to heed his manager’s advice and clearly wants to remain at United and forge ahead with plans to establish himself among the champion’s senior squad.

“It's very good here. I'm getting in the first team and I enjoy it a lot,” he says.

“I have to carry on and try to play more games. My debut at Leeds (in the Carling Cup) was a great feeling. I played away, in a derby as well, and came on for Ryan Giggs.
    I thought, 'Okay, now is a good chance to prove myself and to show them what I can do'. We won that game and it was a very good feeling.

“I told myself I've just tasted it, now I want to eat it - I want all the cake now! I want to play, work hard and do my best to get in the first-team squad.

“I think you grow up a lot at United. I came from France. I'm here and I know what I want to do. I just want to be a first-team player, a great player here and that's it.”

Ferguson is impressed with Pogba’s progress from FA Youth Cup winner last season with the young Reds to the reserves this term and a mini breakthrough for the seniors.

Michael Carrick and Phil Jones are impressing with their newly-formed partnership in the engine room but United remain on red alert for potential imports.

Ajax’s 19-year-old playmaker Cristiano Eriksen has been linked with an Old Trafford switch and Fergie’s Dutch coach Rene Meulensteen admits the Dane is being monitored.

“This is a player that is on our radar,” Meulensteen said.

“It is true that a player like Eriksen would fit our transfer policy. He is being strongly linked with us, but to suggest we are about to make a move is not true.”

Ross Barkley the 18 year old midfield wonder kid who we would end up paying millions for with 7 appearances for Everton to his name.

Why on earth would we take a risk of such money for him when we have youngsters with just as much potential as him in Morrison and Pogba. Or slightly more developed in the mould of Brady and Tunnicliffe. Or even better, what all four of them could potentially be in 4 years, Tom Cleverley. No point in splashing millions on 18 year old talent that is as yet, unable to slot into the first team, when we have examples of 4 similar players at the club with just as much potential imo.

• Advertisement

if chelsea do go for rodwell, it would surely force our hand and show once and for all if we do want him. he wont be cheap, everton need money badly and i could see them wanting enough money to pick up 3 players in january.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MaidenSlayer

Its good to see from that article that Pogba seems to want to stay and make it into the first team. On that note of Eriksen, he looks like a great player. Seen him play a few times and he would be a great signing. We'll be seeing a bit more of him in the coming months when we play Ajax.

Its good to see from that article that Pogba seems to want to stay and make it into the first team. On that note of Eriksen, he looks like a great player. Seen him play a few times and he would be a great signing. We'll be seeing a bit more of him in the coming months when we play Ajax.

Caution must be taken in interpreting that article though, its a mish mash of an interview Pogba gave around the time of the Palace game, combined with Muelenstene's comments on Eriksen from the last few days. Afaik, no new interview has been done with Pogba since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

If we sign anyone that should be someone who can improve us now, we dont need potential stars as we do have very good young players in our ranks. For that reason alone I'm not sure about Rodwell, definite NO to Barkley though.

G.K. wrote: »
    On what basis do you say this? Have you watched much of Schweinsteiger or Toure?

*Troll*

Worth noting that Barkley played vs United reserves a few weeks ago, not a bad everton side that night, and he was completely outshone by Morrison and Pogba.

Note taken.

Really annoying that I haven't had the time to keep up with the youths and reserves this season! :mad:
    Ross Barkley the 18 year old midfield wonder kid who we would end up paying millions for with 7 appearances for Everton to his name.

Why on earth would we take a risk of such money for him when we have youngsters with just as much potential as him in Morrison and Pogba. Or slightly more developed in the mould of Brady and Tunnicliffe. Or even better, what all four of them could potentially be in 4 years, Tom Cleverley. No point in splashing millions on 18 year old talent that is as yet, unable to slot into the first team, when we have examples of 4 similar players at the club with just as much potential imo.

Signing Barkley would be a minimum two seasons away by which stage you would have a better understanding of whether he is going to realise his potential and be worth the outlay (or maybe he does a rodwell and stagnates, anything is possible).

Rodwell is 20. You could sign him this summer if you really wanted him but he is far from the finished article. He hasn't kicked on as much as would have been expected when he first came on the scene. I'd rather put the time and effort developing Pogba and Morrison than in Rodwell.

So to solve our midfield problems, I'd rather we bought someone a bit more accomplished and developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I really rate Rodwell. He's twice the CM that Jones is imo. The only issue with him is injuries. It's really hard to judge how much of a risk that is.

If it was up to me I would sign Fellaini. He is another very good CM, knows how to defend, hasn't had nearly as many injuries as Rodwell and would probably cost similar money.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I really rate Rodwell. He's twice the CM that Jones is imo. The only issue with him is injuries. It's really hard to judge how much of a risk that is.

If it was up to me I would sign Fellaini. He is another very good CM, knows how to defend, hasn't had nearly as many injuries as Rodwell and would probably cost similar money.

I was taking the píss with the Rodwell at CB comment earlier, but how can you say that Rodwell is twice the CM Jones is, when Jones has had 4 games for United in that position, constantly improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rodwell is 20. You could sign him this summer if you really wanted him but he is far from the finished article. He hasn't kicked on as much as would have been expected when he first came on the scene. I'd rather put the time and effort developing Pogba and Morrison than in Rodwell.

So to solve our midfield problems, I'd rather we bought someone a bit more accomplished and developed.

Rodwell is very polished already tbh. He could keep playing at the level he has already and he would benefit us greatly. It's difficult for central midfielders to impress at Everton because Moyes puts so little emphasis on retaining the ball.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Rodwell is very polished already tbh. He could keep playing at the level he has already and he would benefit us greatly. It's difficult for central midfielders to impress at Everton because Moyes puts so little emphasis on retaining the ball.

Pity I missed the England v Sweden match. You see that match?

Last time I saw him for England was the Euro u21s where he wasn't at his best when he did play.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement