Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Silva

In the last few months maybe, but not the calendar year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Silva

bollocks, he's been good for 5ish months, very good for 3 of them even but nowhere close to doing what RVP is doing and has done for Arsenal for the last 12 months.

12 > 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Van Persie has easily been the top performer over the last 12 months. My favourite player to watch outside of the United team. How many goals is it he has now for the calendar year? Must be coming close to 40 by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Wilson91

markc1184 wrote: »
    Van Persie has easily been the top performer over the last 12 months. My favourite player to watch outside of the United team. How many goals is it he has now for the calendar year? Must be coming close to 40 by now.

33 from 33 games. He needs 4 more from Arsenal's next 3 games to break Shearer's record of 36 in a calander year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

“Certainly at this moment, I would play Phil in midfield. When you have the qualities that he has I think it can sometimes be a little bit of a waste when you are restricted to a defensive role.

“But when you have assets like Phil has then that can limit your impact. Players like that want to be involved and when you see some of the runs he was doing at Queen’s Park Rangers on Sunday you wouldn’t want him to be confined to an area at the back.”

Something I was telling few days back. He has all the attributes to play in CM and with games and experience he will only get better. I know many say his future is surely as CB but I dont want such a high enery player to be confined to one role, playing restricted role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the defence of suarez and withchunt v evra, is getting to sickening proportions. this is going to run and run, with suarez getting the ban reduced or even off it.

xtal191 wrote: »

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Anyone know what's the best website to watch the game on tonight?

Anyone know what's the best website to watch the game on tonight?

www.vipbox.tv/

I use this whenever game is not on TV. You will get plenty of links here.

Jones interview.
    Just when Phil thought he was about to get through an interview without having to answer a question about his best position, I throw in the $64m one.

No prizes for originality but Jones patiently goes through it again.

"You are about the millionth person to ask me that! And the answer is I don’t know," he said.

"I always thought I could see myself as a centre back because I can read the game well, I am good in the air and strong but I am really enjoying it playing in midfield, really enjoying it. I’ve loved it more so in the last few games than ever before.

"I played under Sam Allardyce at Blackburn in midfield. I played the first game of last season there against Everton and every game in midfield after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Is tonights game on TV.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Is tonights game on TV.?

No. Wigan v Liverpool on Sky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sweet, didn't even realise we were playing tonight.

LOF FTW. :cool:

Ugh, tough away game at Fulham on a Wednesday night.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

zerks wrote: »
    No. Wigan v Liverpool on Sky.

Presuming we arent on ESPN or either Setanta channel either so?

VW 1 wrote: »
    Presuming we arent on ESPN or either Setanta channel either so?

No,afraid not.

Anyone with a fta box & dish swing it to 42e for Turksat,it's fta on that.Must give it a try today if I get a chance otherwise it's a stream or highlights tonight.

http://liveonsat.com/LJ_foot_b_epl_only.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lordgoat wrote: »
    There's no one even close to how good RVP has been this year.

Dunno how I got quoted here. Would say Silva's been as good as RVP this season fwiw, but over the calendar RVP has been peerless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mod Note

There is to be absolutely no discussion of the racism incident in this thread. This is to ensure the superthread conversation about footballing matters can be continued. Any posts will be moved and repeat offenders may be infracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Jeez, talk about a thread killer PHB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Player Ratings results for the QPR game.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqNp5FJ_qnMYdDRJWjEwY0ktWnZoNFF1WVVIMjVId1E

Name|Avrage Rating
    Carrick | 8.41
    Rooney | 7.92
    Evans | 7.84
    Jones | 7.42
    Valencia | 7.42
    Smalling | 7.25
    Nani | 7.25
    Ferdinand | 7.17
    Welbeck | 6.51
    De Gea | 6.42
    Hernandez | 5.91
    Giggs | 5.84
    Evra | 5.51
    Young | 5.42

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Wilson91 wrote: »
    33 from 33 games. He needs 4 more from Arsenal's next 3 games to break Shearer's record of 36 in a calander year.

hope he gets 2 hat tricks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Good read

http://manchesterisredmufc.blogspot.com/2011/12/keane-still-bitter-over-united-exit.html?spref=tw
    Two people who certainly will not be exchanging Christmas cards this year are Sir Alex Ferguson and Roy Keane. Sundays eye opening two page spread in a national news paper by Keane, had the ramblings of a bitter old man written all over it. Keane is still evidently licking his wounds from 2005 when by mutual consent Keane and Manchester United decided to part company. A scathing negative rant about United's 2005 crop of players On their in house TV channel MUTV was what ended Keane's United career. Keane has repeatedly criticised United and how the club is run in the press. He displays the views of a man who is finding retirement and two failed attempts at management with Sunderland and Ipswich, difficult to accept.

The only person to blame for Keane's departure from Old Trafford, is himself. Keane was told to try and remain positive when giving his thoughts on a match United had been well beaten in, what did Keane do? The complete opposite, he was ruthless in his assessment of the team, he even questioned if the players who played were good enough to play for United. The club and the manager were stunned and outraged by Keane's comments, they acted swiftly to make sure the programme did not go out on air. Like any school pupil who is a disruption to the class, he was effectively expelled from the United School.

So it hardly come as a surprise when Keane, now working as a pundit for ITV Champions League games, was highly critical of United's exit to Basle at the group stages. Keane firmly set the cat amongst the pigeons with his assessment of United, comments that obviously touched a nerve with Sir Alex, who made a comment in reply to his sides dressing down by questioning Keane's managerial record, which was a bit of a cheap shot on the United manager's behalf. Both Keane and Ferguson were correct, but it is the nature of the jibes that are being thrown back and forward that suggests that there is more to this than just Keane being bitter about leaving United on bad terms. What Keane should realise, is that he started the fall out back in 2005.

The friendship between Keane and Ferguson is strained beyond repair, both men are strong, stubborn characters, who will not back down. A recent snub by Keane to attend a dinner party to celebrate Ferguson being in charge of United for twenty five years proves this. Keane claims he turned down the chance to attend because he would not have been able to stand up and clap Ferguson. What Keane should realise is that United made him the player he was, no player is bigger than the club. Other players have left United on bad terms, Japp Stam, Rudd van Nistelrooy and David Beckham, all of who made up with Ferguson years after their departure, so why can't Keane? If everybody held a grudge against Keane then he would not be welcome back into his home country, following his decision to walk out on his nations national side during the 2002 world cup, following a disagreement with Mick McCarthy who was the manager at that time.

Something else that Keane said in his article was that Ferguson's managerial record was down to players like him, well it works both ways Roy. Would Keane have been so decelerated as a player if he had gone elsewhere before signing for United? Old Trafford give Keane the platform he craved for him to become a legend and successful, Ferguson moulded him into the player he was.

Keane also said that United never stood by him? Is he being serious? Keane missed the whole of the 1997-98 season because of a cruciate ligament injury caused by an attempt to kick and injure Alf-Inge Haaland as the ball ran out of play. United rehabilitated him and I assume Keane would have picked up his weekly wage during this time? He also said he would leave United in 1999 if they did not pay him what he thought he was worth, the club give in to his demands and quite rightly paid him the money he wanted.

Roy Keane is without a doubt a Manchester United legend, but he is seriously beginning to affect his own status at Old Trafford. Keane needs to realise that Ferguson is the leader at United and is a far more influential figure than Keane ever was, and ever will be. Whilst Keane gives his views on the game as a pundit, Ferguson will continue to manage the most successful English football team in history, and the empire that he created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The anti-Roy Keane stuff propagating through the media at the behest of forces within Old Trafford really ought to make people think long and hard about ever criticising players for being "disloyal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Got my laptop back today after a month out injured.

Think I have 3 posts in here over that time because imo surfing on an iphone just aint something I like doing. Will be more regular in here now.

Also, I thought of something funny I could do over Xmas. You know the way all United fans think Phil Jones will go down in history as the best player of all time? And the way non-United fans are in denial and thus claim we are over-hyping him? Well I thought it would be funny for EVERY United fan (who wants one obv) on this forum to rock a Phil Jones sig, different ones of course, so that we ram his glory down the throats of non-believers. I could make 20+ handy enough, it would be my way of making up for depriving you lot of my incisive analysis and hilarious comedic relief over the past 4 weeks. Just want to gather intrest at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Think I have 3 posts in here over that time because imo surfing on an iphone just aint something I like doing. Will be more regular in here now.

Also, I thought of something funny I could do over Xmas. You know the way all United fans think Phil Jones will go down in history as the best player of all time? And the way non-United fans are in denial and thus claim we are over-hyping him? Well I thought it would be funny for EVERY United fan (who wants one obv) on this forum to rock a Phil Jones sig, different ones of course, so that we ram his glory down the throats of non-believers. I could make 20+ handy enough, it would be my way of making up for depriving you lot of my incisive analysis and hilarious comedic relief over the past 4 weeks. Just want to gather intrest at the moment.
    I'll take one if you don't mind :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Haha welcome back Mikey.

Good to see you back Mikey, and good to see the Phil Jones enthusiasm, I think rockin the sigs couldnt be a better idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Good to see you back Mikey, and good to see the Phil Jones enthusiasm, I think rockin the sigs couldnt be a better idea

you want that ticket tomorrow VW1? Won't be around after Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Didn't realise you were absent.... :P

Never been bothered about a sig but for a good cause like this I would be prepared to display one !

Count me in on your growing list !

If you could some how incorporate a tank in a sig that would be great! :pac:

Trilla wrote: »
    you want that ticket tomorrow VW1? Won't be around after Friday

Forgot all about picking it up, you around this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

yeah ill take one mikey!! you should do some religious ones with jones as the second coming/life of brian sort of thing!

(just to piss off the christianity forum too haha)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ok cool so we can go ahead with the Phil Jones sig idea.

I think the best thing to do would be to PM me if you want one. That way I dont look like a gigantic thanks whore, and the thread wont be cluttered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I was hoping you wouldnt be back Mikey

I joke, I joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think the best thing to do would be to PM me if you want one. That way I dont look like a gigantic thanks whore, and the thread wont be cluttered.

I'll take sig if still about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Way ahead of ye :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Phil Jones sig

Great idea, I'd love a Utd sig but I never had the photoshop skills to do one.
    Love the idea:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Can we use this picture of Phil Jones for the sig?

M1-Abrams-Tank.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Can we use this picture of Phil Jones for the sig?

M1-Abrams-Tank.jpg

There's actually a goal behind Nemanja there in the background.You just can't see it because thats how he rolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Forgot all about picking it up, you around this evening?

Can be, I'll pm you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Your been out a month...with an idea like this of course your a thanks whore....wanna feel special again! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

It's going round on twitter that Jones has a fractured cheekbone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

...and that he's out for 6 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

And when he is good he is very very good........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Wesley banging in game winners for Sunderland!

Well what are we going to complain about tonight then?:pac::pac:

kmart6 wrote: »
    Wesley banging in game winners for Sunderland!

1st league goal in over 3 years.

Well what are we going to complain about tonight then?:pac::pac:

Injuries to Jones and Young - our central midfield options for the boxing day game being Giggs, Carrick and ...... Rooney? Pogba?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's been way too long since Rooney scored one of those.

• Advertisement

Injuries to Jones and Young - our central midfield options for the boxing day game being Giggs, Carrick and ...... Rooney? Pogba?

Hopefully they be back sooner then later.

Young has been poor of late anyway.

No problem with giving Pogba a chance.

Two home games coming up in which I expect 6 points.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement