Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

So De Gea is a player who combines moments of brilliant with occasional errors? One would almost think he is a 20-year-old goalkeeper...oh yeah.

Anyway, I'm delighted to see a team made up of so many British players playing so well. They style of play feels so much more like United. Smalling is turning into a very good full back. I wonder what that means for the Da Silvas? I'd love to see Rafael tried again in a more offensive role.

Rooney was awesome. The free kicks were excellent but his all round game was even better.

Anderson and Cleverley had another top game. I know they will have dips given their age, but it would be excellent if they turned out to be part of United's long-term central midfield. I'm delighted Anderson is putting in these performances after defending him for so long.

Also, don't read TOO much into today. It was a bizarre game.
    So many plus points, I'm leaving out so many talking points (Young being excellent, Nani's great start to the season, Mike Phelan's awesome beard...)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

What is "over the top" about pointing out the bleedin' obvious?

De Gea's had a disastrous start to his United career.

He's not the right guy for the job.

I'm right and Sir Alex is wrong.

Here's another one for you: Danny Wellbeck isn't good enough to be starting for United. Long term his career's gonna see him at Everton or the like. To be fair though Fergie knows this.

Lol. Just lol. You're a funny guy Sean. Funny guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

eugeneious wrote: »
    In relation to De Gea, we can sit here like some people and focus on the SLIGHT mistake he made for the goal and talk about how he's an unmitigated disaster or we can talk about his 4 fantastic saves and talk about the fact that he looks a lot more confident.

It was more than a slight mistake. It was another howler. Any 'keeper would be disgusted at letting that in.

This guy cost £18 million...it should be a given that the guy's competent but this guy's incompetent.
    De Gea was outstanding today

Crazy talk. He was not outstanding. Everytime the ball goes near him there's a palpable fear that another howler's on the cards. He's another Taibi. Dump him before he costs us the league title and gifts it to City.

He is another Barthez only worse because he's less reliable. I never thought that would be possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

So many plus points, I'm leaving out so many talking points (Young being excellent, Nani's great start to the season, Mike Phelan's awesome beard...)

Its great when you get to leave positive things out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Actually watching the highlights there de gea was shocking for the first goal, very soft goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Here's another one for you: Danny Wellbeck isn't good enough to be starting for United. Long term his career's gonna see him at Everton or the like. To be fair though Fergie knows this.

It's obvious you're simply trying to get a reaction here, there's no basis for your speculation about Wellbeck, it's not worth debating.

A United fan with no faith in young players, I don't buy it.

Sean this is getting to an Andy Kaufman-level of surreal, cutting edge humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

DeGea WAS shocking for the Walcott goal lads.

It doesn't mean you're less of a United fan to admit that.

CptMackey wrote: »
    Give the lad a chance
    He is only in his early 20's. Wellbeck is playing class and is unlucky to be injured

He doesn't deserve a chance. This isn't "give that fella in the Stretford End" a shot in goal. It's Manchester United. We can't afford to have a dodgy apprentice learning on the job in goal. Dump him before he costs us the league title. He's a disaster waiting to happen.

Wellbeck's not good enough to be starting in our first team. Long term he's an Everton, Sunderland or Bolton player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Des wrote: »

Does that 1 mistake mean he had a disasterous game? Same poster with the same crap after every game gets a bit tedious. Good job he's not an arsenal fan or he'd explode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Welbeck is 2 from 2 so far this season ffs.

Honestly the mind boggles sometimes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No. Just ****ing no.

That statement just goes to show how utterly deluded YOU are.

I can't understand how a goalkeeper who has dropped ZERO ****ING POINTS!!!! in a new country, at the biggest club in the world can be a disaster.

Tell me this Sean, why didn't Fergie sell Welbeck to Sunderland for 7 million this summer if he was gonna so ****? Because Fergie knows he isn't ****.

Your post is just silly, silly, silly Sean.

Nobody is actually debating that as far as I can see. It is more the ridiculous response to an entirely predictable situation when a 20-year-old keeper is signed. Reasoned criticism is perfectly valid. But the nonsense I read on here (mainly from one source) is laughable.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    You're a funny guy....
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lol. Just lol. You're a funny guy Sean. Funny guy.

Goodfellas?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

He doesn't deserve a chance.

He doesn't deserve a chance?

The kid is only 20 ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I agree it was a dreadful goal to let in nothing to do with not being physical enough or anything like that, it was a howler.

Obviously he has enough ability to have kept that out so maybe its a confidence thing or his head is not fully on the job yet because of the big move from Spain and has yet to adapt fully to life in Manchester.

smokedeels wrote: »
    It's obvious you're simply trying to get a reaction here, there's no basis for your speculation about Wellbeck, it's not worth debating.

A United fan with no faith in young players, I don't buy it.

I have faith in young players when I see them as long term first choice first team players. Wellbeck seems like a great lad with a great attitude and he'll do well in the game but he isn't good enough to be a long term first choice striker at United.

The "he's 20...give him a chance" stuff is nonsense. We shouldn't have a callow 20 year old non English speaking goalkeeper as our first choice. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

He doesn't deserve a chance. This isn't "give that fella in the Stretford End" a shot in goal. It's Manchester United. We can't afford to have a dodgy apprentice learning on the job in goal. Dump him before he costs us the league title. He's a disaster waiting to happen.

Wellbeck's not good enough to be starting in our first team. Long term he's an Everton, Sunderland or Bolton player.

Agreeing with this, but for the rest, your basically talking through your hoop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Poor old Lee Dixon on MOTD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

delighted with today.

really cant be arsed with the **** going on in here at the moment though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Sean, your opinion is so inconsequential compared to the greatest manager of all time that making statements like you are right and fergie is wrong is simply laudable. The next time you call someone a disgrace think about some of the tripe you have posted, it's really no wonder some people call you a troll. Maybe you are, maybe you ain't but one thing is for sure, if fergie backs a player I will always support his decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

delighted with today.

really cant be arsed with the **** going on in here at the moment though

I agree with both of your statements. :)

niallo27 wrote: »
    Actually watching the highlights there de gea was shocking for the first goal, very soft goal

Does that 1 mistake mean he had a disasterous game

Four games...four horrendous errors. That isn't good enough.
    mars bar wrote: »
    why didn't Fergie sell Welbeck to Sunderland for 7 million this summer if he was gonna so ****? Because Fergie knows he isn't ****

I never said that he's sh1te. He's a good player. He could be a decent squad player. I just contend that he's not good enough to be first choice. Our strikers should be £30 million players, not above average youngsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Trilla wrote: »
    Poor old Lee Dixon on MOTD!

Just reminded me! off with the Justin, on with the oul telly!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I never said that he's sh1te. He's a good player. He could be a decent squad player. I just contend that he's not good enough to be first choice. Our strikers should be £30 million players, not above average youngsters.

I some what agree with you on Welbeck but chico didnt cost 30m...

• Advertisement

Anyone else wish the international break wasn't coming up?

Would love to just get on with the next game. Bolton have two weeks to recover from their loss while Uniteds momentum gets slowed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

He doesn't deserve a chance?

The kid is only 20 ffs.

Seriously, do what I do, put this person on ignore. . They are either not a united fan or just not a very good one! ;)

No player moving leagues can be judged over half a season let alone a hatful of games. Just aswell for Evra, Vidic, Fletcher, rafael etc that Fergie wasnt as stupid as some of the opinions expressed here . .

Four games...four horrendous errors. That isn't good enough.

Fair enough, you didn't say he was ****.

But why should we have a £30 million pound striker? Go support City if you are wondered about over inflated value in the market.
    We've got a 20 year old youth product who has an all round better touch than Hernandez and has a knack for scoring goals. He has shown himself to be more than capable of playing up front for United.

I will be very surprised if he isn't still at United in 5 years time. Very, very surprised.

Sean, your opinion is so inconsequential compared to the greatest manager of all time that making statements like you are right and fergie is wrong is simply laudable. The next time you call someone a disgrace think about some of the tripe you have posted, it's really no wonder some people call you a troll. Maybe you are, maybe you ain't but one thing is for sure, if fergie backs a player I will always support his decision.

I'm assuming that you meant to write "laughable" rather than "laudable"?

What tripe have I posted?

1) David de Gea wasn't a good signing. He's made at least one horrendous error in each game so far. The evidence supports my view.

2) Danny Wellbeck's not good enough to be first choice at United.

You'd swear that I was saying that the Earth is flat.

As for your blind faith in Fergie, that's the type of nonsense that makes zealots drink poisoned orange.

If you really care about a club you question...you always want the best for your club. I love United so much as I want us to slay the Barca and Abu Dhabi dragons. In my view that's less likely to happen with the joker we have as our first choice goalkeeper. The sooner he's dropped, the better.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Seriously, do what I do, put this person on ignore. . They are either not a united fan or just not a very good one! ;)

No player moving leagues can be judged over half a season let alone a hatful of games. Just aswell for Evra, Vidic, Fletcher, rafael etc that Fergie wasnt as stupid as some of the opinions expressed here . .

The ignore feature is useless because people quote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Tbh I didn't think welbeck would be first choice didn't think he was amazing but he's proved me wrong . Unfortunate that he got injured today as he has scored 2 games in a row plus set 1 up .

Sean I think you put too much emphasis on price tags .

Headshot wrote: »
    I some what agree with you on Welbeck but chico didnt cost 30m...

But he's probably worth that now.

I don't mean that they have to cost that...I mean that their market value should be £30 million plus.

Wellbeck's a good honest player and I actually like him. Not good enough to be a first choice forward at United though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ww win 8-2 and you aree spending your time arguing the merits of some of our young players with a guy who is literally copying and pasting the same opinion he's been flooding this thread with the last few weeks.

Seriously, he's not even going to debate the points. He's just going to rehash the same thing again and again and again and it's beyond tiresome at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

No need to look at Jose or Pep when SAF eventually decides to throw in the towel. We've a ready made replacement right here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

But he's probably worth that now.

I don't mean that they have to cost that...I mean that their market value should be £30 million plus.

Wellbeck's a good honest player and I actually like him. Not good enough to be a first choice forward at United though.

ya I probably would agree with that

Still Welbeck may surprise us thou, I wouldnt put it past him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Tbh I didn't think welbeck would be first choice didn't think he was amazing but he's proved me wrong .

Likewise, I thought he was a decent winger in the making but I'll give him time, thus far I can't fault the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Our strikers should be £30 million players, not above average youngsters.

Yeah, above average youngsters are shíte. Teams can't get rid of them quick enough.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMt47k3r8AhybaUqG8v0wbGPFE5djZmdymJJom6zTOWe3aW-T0-Q

adox wrote: »
    Ww win 8-2 and you aree spending your time arguing the merits of some of our young players with a guy who is literally copying and pasting the same opinion he's been flooding this thread with the last few weeks.

Seriously, he's not even going to debate the points. He's just going to rehash the same thing again and again and again and it's beyond tiresome at this stage

What points?! Most of what's been thrown at me has been utter rubbish.

"De Gea's the wrong guy" - He's played four competitive games for us and he's made at least one horrendous error in each game. The evidence supports my view 100%.

"Wellbeck's not good enough to be a first choice forward at United" - I cannot believe that people are disputing this to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Keep meaning to post more on here, but every time I get the urge I'm confronted with a wall of Bateman snark, even though I have him long since on ignore!

Regardless, that can't take away from a great game today. De Gea made a bad error yes, but saved a penalty and made two great saves in quick succession that could've let Arsenal back into the game. instead it went from potentially 1-1 or even 1-2 to 3-0 to United. I have faith in De Gea despite his odd mistake because I think he's got bags of talent and potential and is improving every game in my opinion.

Young has been a revelation of a signing too. I wasn't a naysayers when he signed, but I wasn't exactly ecstatic either, glad to be proven wrong on that case. Jones already proving to be an immense signing too. First time in years I've been this excited and optimistic about United.

Had slightly dampened watcbing the City game early and a bit of worry set in. Soon settled down about 30 minutes into our match though. I haven't seen Rooney (and the rest of the team on fairness) playing with such swagger
    before, and it's a joy to watch. City will probably give us a run for our money this season, but it's going to be fantastic derby in October. My birthday weekend and all! Hope it's a happy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nani really enjoyed his goal today

122415594.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921E86F5CE8BE5D78FB4496F17DFAA6D0911E3EE8012B8505AA981A4E37D6C85E09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

mars bar wrote: »
    The ignore feature is useless because people quote.

Even Better . . You can sometimes see what you are not missing !:D

What points?! Most of what's been thrown at me has been utter rubbish.

"De Gea's the wrong guy" - He's played four competitive games for us and he's made at least one horrendous error in each game. The evidence supports my view 100%.

"Wellbeck's not good enough to be a first choice forward at United" - I cannot believe that people are disputing this to be honest.

Oh the irony!

Why would we dispute the Welbeck crap you're spouting? Yes, there is a chance he could become a huge flop, as any player in the world can become, but I have seen absolutely nothing whatsoever to say he will.

Right now, he is good enough for United and right now he is keeping Berbatov and Hernandez on the bench.

#15 wrote: »
    Yeah, above average youngsters are shíte. Teams can't get rid of them quick enough

If you don't have the intelligence to understand the point that I'm making, you shouldn't comment.

Above average players of any age are not good enough to be first choice forwards at Manchester United. Our first choice forwards should be world class players coveted by other top teams. That's not Danny Wellbeck. Doesn't make him a bad player or mean he can't be a good squad player or mean that won't score goals for us. But first choice striker in the long term? No chance.

Sean is it only our forwards that should be world class ?

The discussion relates to Danny Wellbeck who's a forward.

Notwithstanding that point, your question's bizarre.

Apparently our keepers have to be world class out-of-the-box fluent English mistake free freaks of nature.

Anyway, De Gea's twitter makes me think he's sneakily using Google translate to help with his english:
    D_DeGea David De Gea
    Sensational team match. 8-2. I do not think you have similar feelings in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Above average players of any age are not good enough to be first choice forwards at Manchester United. Our first choice forwards should be world class players coveted by other top teams. That's not Danny Wellbeck. Doesn't make him a bad player or mean he can't be a good squad player or mean that won't score goals for us. But first choice striker in the long term? No chance.

The point is in your opinion he is now above average. Not in mine I personally think he is much better.

To me with your writing off of De Gea and now Welbeck shows you have no idea of what the potiential of players means and the fact you actually backed yourself to be a manger is simply laughable.

Could see it now, this kid is 13, but right now he can't make our first team. Above average sell him on.

IIRC, no player ever improves with game time.:rolleyes:

Oh well, idiot trolls gonna troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Also did anyone else see the eyes Anderson was giving Szczesny during the second free kick? Looked like he was trying to put him off. It was hilarious to see in the slow motion replay. Think he was doing it for the first free kick too. I assume when Rooney was staying back after training to practice free kicks, Anderson was in the training room practicing those faces in the mirror. In fairness it worked on both counts.

I wonder what Sean would have said when Giggs Scholes Neville Beckham & Butt were coming through the ranks .

• Advertisement

Ah Headshot, Welbeck is a class forward.

Look at the goals he scored for United and Sunderland.

His size, touch, skills, finishing, work rate, maturity, anticipation, vision make him more than worthy of his place at United.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement