Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Iago wrote: »
    Arsenal could have scored 6 yesterday, I think when Fletcher is fully fit he'll step into midfield instead of Cleverly.

De Gea looks like a fantastic signing, he's going to make some mistakes but I've seen enough already to make me believe that he's going to be incredible. Some of his saves yesterday were world class.

indeed, im really a big believe of small things, make huge differences. arsenal caused us plenty of problems yesterday, they scored 2 and should have had at least 2 more.

had one of those went in, could have been a different game. the saves de gea made yesterday were really underestimated also.

i know we scored 8, but a bit of perspective is needed here, their defence was absolutely brutal. some of our goals were top notch, but all 8 were avoidable IMO and had things went for them at 1-0 when the penalty was missed, they may have upped the anti and defended better. missing a peno and then being 2-0 down seconds later is gut wrenching and hard to come back from.

spurs were shown up by city yesterday, arsenal were absolutle much yesterday, so things need a bit of perspective.

on another note, things moving at inter, they have forlan signed and tom mcdermott reckons that they are after a kaka loan deal and that they are trying to offload sneijder before wednesday, with chelsea now also involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Anderson and Cleverly still have us playing lovely football I see. Beyond the goals, which were great obviously, I enjoyed the way we controlled the game for longs spells and played ourselves back into the ascendency whenever Arsenal looked to be building a come back.

The Arsenal defence was probably worse than any other we are going to face this year in any competition. But you can only beat what's in front of you and eight goals is brilliant. Rooney is absolutely on fire. Young is too.

The defending was a bit annoying yesterday. Everyone is pissed off with Evra and rightly so. I've said I think he'll come good soon, but he really is pushing it now. Evans fúcked up, but it's not the end of the world. DDG made a howler again, but he also made a few lovely saves and he is obviously progressing. That's all any of us should be looking for just now. It's a lot of fun having a promising young keeper trying to establish himself imo. Ups and downs and the chance of a big reward at the end of it.

Anderson and Cleverly still look poor when defending. I would be putting more of the blame on Anderson, he is looking very lazy at times. He is a devil for letting runners go past him and not closing down the ball in dangerous positions. Cleverly's positioning is lacking, but he can improve that in time and he looks far more committed than Ando.

Edit: Smalling and Jones - class.
    Re-edit: But Jones did make a stupid header before the RVP goal. He is still class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Holy ****.

Iago, you're usually a pretty level headed fella, but this is lunacy!
    Iago wrote:
    De Gea looks like a fantastic signing, he's going to make some mistakes but I've seen enough already to make me believe that he's going to be incredible. Some of his saves yesterday were world class.

All of his saves yesterday were saves that he should've made. If any of them went in, people would have rightly criticised him for it.

One of them came as a result of him not properly turning a shot around the post or out further wide.

And of course he was very poor for the goal.

All goalkeepers are capable of pulling off good saves, that's why they're professional goalies, the difference between top class ones & average ones is the frequency of the mistakes they make and how they recover from them, so far, this fella is making one bad mistake per game.

So while writing him off is extremely premature. Jizzing over how good what you've seen so far, is ****ing lunacy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

FACEPALM_Dean_Winchester.gif

• Advertisement

I know, ****ing crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Alan you do have a great talent of ruining our good mood :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I dont know if I should laugh or cringe in here sometimes...

Only Conno was on my ignore list but in last few weeks I think it will have to come out for few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Holy ****.

Iago, you're usually a pretty level headed fella, but this is lunacy!

All of his saves yesterday were saves that he should've made. If any of them went in, people would have rightly criticised him for it..

Ah now. The save from Van Persie's right footed volley? That was cat-like. A brilliant save.

Agree with the rest though. Im happy with DDG, it obvious to me he will iron out the mistakes soon, and as of now not a single one has affected any result so i'm not bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

All of his saves yesterday were saves that he should've made. If any of them went in, people would have rightly criticised him for it.

Hate to break it to you but Goalkeepers aren't "expected" to save penalties. Nobody would have criticised him for letting that in, but he didn't. Also, his mistakes have come in games that we have won so it's not as much of a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hate to break it to you but Goalkeepers aren't "expected" to save penalties. Nobody would have criticised him for letting that in, but he didn't. Also, his mistakes have come in games that we have won so it's not as much of a problem.

Once he had picked the right direction, it was an easy save to make in fairness.

The double save looked nice, but he should have pushed the first further away or out for a corner. It was a decent save itself, as was the second, but it is still something I am sure De Gea himself will have looked at, or be looking at, and will want to improve on.

The save from the van persie volley was superb imo.

The Walcott goal should have been saved. Ones that come at that position can be hard to deal with - as it is awkward to get your hands to it and your feet are positioned to block the corners - I do think he should have saved it though.

Even the Van Persie goal I would have a question mark on. I don't think he should have been expected to save it - but I do think he should have been been right in VP's face when the ball got to him; he could possibly have reacted to the header back across a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Also, his mistakes have come in games that we have won so it's not as much of a problem.

I wouldn't be a fan of that logic. You can identify problems and fix them before they cost you points. But with DDG we have to give him time. If we had dropped points in the last few games we would still have to give the lad time. That's just the way it is with a young keeper.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a fan of that logic. You can identify problems and fix them before they cost you points. But with DDG we have to give him time. If we had dropped points in the last few games we would still have to give the lad time. That's just the way it is with a young keeper.

from what I have heard about him, from people involved in various ways with the Spannish league, he is a guy who will study his performances and work on what he can improve.

I would certainly be of the opinion it would be folly to ignore the mistakes in light of the results we have gotten - we won't always score 2, 3 or 8 goals. we will need to grind out 1-0 wins or even 0-0 draws so we will need to have confidence in him and he will need to give us reason for that confidence by how he plays.

I do think he will be a very good keeper for us - i watched him a good bit last season as I knew he was one of the keepers on our radar and imo the mistakes he is making are not mistakes I saw him make previously. Maybe the pressure and expectation is playing on his mind at the moment - which is a problem in itself - but I do think it will be something that will sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Once he had picked the right direction, it was an easy save to make in fairness.

The double save looked nice, but he should have pushed the first further away or out for a corner. It was a decent save itself, as was the second, but it is still something I am sure De Gea himself will have looked at, or be looking at, and will want to improve on.

The save from the van persie volley was superb imo.

The Walcott goal should have been saved. Ones that come at that position can be hard to deal with - as it is awkward to get your hands to it and your feet are positioned to block the corners - I do think he should have saved it though.

Even the Van Persie goal I would have a question mark on. I don't think he should have been expected to save it - but I do think he should have been been right in VP's face when the ball got to him; he could possibly have reacted to the header back across a bit better.
    Haven't seen that second goal again yet but he prob could have came for it instead of Jones heading it away , Jones should have put it out for a corner anyway imo. He was prob worried about scoring an og .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Haven't seen that second goal again yet but he prob could have came for it instead of Jones heading it away , Jones should have put it out for a corner anyway imo. He was prob worried about scoring an og .

Yeah agree with this, Jones' header away wasnt optimal and this contributed to the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

For me, I've never seen a 20 year old goalkeeper look this good, bar maybe Casillas.

His shot stopper is also outstanding, his save against Van Persie was really special, as was another save he made against Spurs.
    His communication is average, but no doubt linked to the language issue.
    His distribution is outstanding, unbelievably good really.
    His consistency is open to question. Every keeper gets beaten through the legs once in a while, it looks much worse than it is imo. But consistency comes in time.

I think he's like 75-85% of the way there, with plenty to go. I see no reason why he can't get to the very top and really take the No. 1 spot for the next decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

De Gea does have fantastic talent and to criticise a 20 year old for making a few mistakes in his debut season at United is crazy.

De Gea looks far more advanced than any other keeper I have ever seen at 20. I'm predicting he will be here for many years and he has the talent to be the best in the business. Steele will iron out those little errors and he doesn't lack confidence. Onwards and upwards for Davide De Gea IMO.

^^^^^
    Was just about to say Casillas but you just edited it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

a vital ingredient for a good keeper is to be able to talk your defence through the game, tell them where to go, shout if your coming out and tell them to mark the fúck up when they re switched off. it must be very awkward for de gea and the back 4 at the moment to not be able to communicate properly. It makes it all the more remarkable that with 3 inexperienced defenders and de gea we havent done to badly in the last 2 weeks. i guarantee that when his english improves and he can command his area , he ll be top class. what worries me is that by the time rio and vidic are fit, de gea will have built up a good relationship with evans/jones/smalling that he ll have to start from scratch with the other 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

He needs to get into the gym..... He looks tiny in goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Calling for it is easy in any language you just shout your name, it's the telling people where to go is the problem still We've yet to drop points so no complaints

Talk of villa offering Haregreaves a contract .

in the goalkeepers warmup yesterday , they peppered him with crosses and had lindegaard challenging him in the air so obviously they re trying to work on that aspect of his game. he s the same height as lindegaard but lindegaard looks a lot more solidly built. The next 2 away games will really test de gea, bolton and stoke. Bolton will be tough but Stoke will be like the Alamo. We ll need a strong referee to protect him from the likes of Huth and Jones. There ll be a big onus on the central defenders that day to protect him. If they were all fit you could go with a defence of smalling, vidic, rio and if evra was still struggling for form you could play evans at LB to give us a huge aerial advantage.

:o:o:o would love him to get one more chance at united. would be a sickner to see him do well at another club, from a united perspective.

would be delighted for him of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I haven't seen the save from the van Persie volley properly. Did any of the highlight programmes show it?

The angle I had of that goal makes it difficult to judge how good a save it was.

Any animated gif floating around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Good. I really hope he makes it back.

how has obertan been playing with newcastle? havent had a chance to see any of their matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

n32 wrote: »
    how has obertan been playing with newcastle? havent had a chance to see any of their matches

same as he was for United..... Barely Average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Anyone got any news on when Vidic is expected to return???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Evans will be behind smalling and jones in the pecking order and they are behind rio and vidic. In my eyes he's the best 5th choice cb in england by a distance. If he is happy to stay, then he should be kept.

Evans will be behind smalling and jones in the pecking order and they are behind rio and vidic. In my eyes he's the best 5th choice cb in england by a distance. If he is happy to stay, then he should be kept.
    definitely wouldnt sell him. if we had sold him in the summer we d be badly stuck at the minute. Injury crises happen so better to have a big squad just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Le King wrote: »
    De Gea does have fantastic talent and to criticise a 20 year old for making a few mistakes in his debut season at United is crazy.

De Gea looks far more advanced than any other keeper I have ever seen at 20. I'm predicting he will be here for many years and he has the talent to be the best in the business. Steele will iron out those little errors and he doesn't lack confidence. Onwards and upwards for Davide De Gea IMO.

I absolutely agree and to put it all in perspective, VDS was old enough to be his father. I have no doubt the kid will be a star for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

All this De Gea bashing is uncalled for, he has got me 19 points in 3 games n my fantasy premier league team!

PHB wrote: »
    For me, I've never seen a 20 year old goalkeeper look this good, bar maybe Casillas.

He wasn't even the best young goalkeeper on display yesterday :confused:

I'm dumbfounded by usually good posters being ridiculously complimentary of a goalie who is making a bad mistake per game since he joined Utd?!

I'm dumbfounded by usually good posters being ridiculously complimentary of a goalie who is making a bad mistake per game since he joined Utd?!

what did he do wrong yesterday?:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Walcotts goal was fairly poor, to be fair - it was one he should have saved, imo.

In b4 Walcott goal

Damn you Mitch!

He definitely should have saved it (but in fairness to Ed being in the stadium, he may not have seen properly).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Remind me again how many Scezney conceded?

That would be....hold on one sec.......8, yep definitely 8 Marker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

He may have meant krul, who was fantastic yesterday.

:rolleyes:

He definitely should have saved it (but in fairness to Ed being in the stadium, he may not have seen properly).

walcott was bout 8 yards out maximum, he hit it low along the ground from a very close distance. it went under his legs, so are all goals under the keepers legs the fault of the keeper?

walcott was bout 8 yards out maximum, he hit it low along the ground from a very close distance. it went under his legs, so are all goals under the keepers legs the fault of the keeper?

it wasn't that well hit and he was a bit further away than you are saying, I think.

I don't think it was as bad as the Long goal, for example, but it was still one I would have expected him to save to be honest. It wasn't a howler, really, but it wasn't good.

Ed, seek it out & watch it. It's not really up for dispute that it was poor from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It wasn't from that close in, and it was at an angle. It was poorly enough struck from Walcott.

Watch it again on TV. He should have saved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Skysports.com understands Tottenham are lining up a shock move for former Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves.

Not surprising, if true.

Blatter wrote: »
    Skysports.com understands Tottenham are lining up a shock move for former Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves.

Not surprising, if true.

well having got rid of woodgate I suppose King is a bit lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

my god cant believe some of this rubbish, hate to go back to Liverpool comparison but I remember Reina making a few mistakes in his early liverpool career especially in his first derby, threw the ball up in the air after a shot from carsely i think and andy johnson headed it in. Now look at him the best keeper in the league by some distance..

His first derby was about it in his first season.

DeGea has already got 3 times that & we ain't even out of August.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement