Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    His first derby was about it in his first season.

DeGea has already got 3 times that & we ain't even out of August.

so he only made the one mistake yeah? jog on Al.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So if we count up Reina's mistakes over the past 6 years, and it comes to more than 3, then De Gea is obviously better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He made an absolute howler the FA cup final in his first season aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

That season, nothing else jumps out tbh. He certainly didn't make bad mistakes throughout all of his first few games.

So if we count up Reina's mistakes over the past 6 years, and it comes to more than 3, then De Gea is obviously better.

Are you a ****ing loon?

The above combined with your, 'Arsenal conceded more than Utd yesterday therefore DeGea is better than Sczeney', has me worried.

Lads all goalies make mistakes, that's not the issue. But making mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake in consecutive weeks is slightly different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He defo should have saved the Walcott goal, but that save from the VP volley was world class. Al just doesn't remember it.

He was weak at coming for crosses in his first season. He has improved greatly in that aspect although it's still not the best part of his game.

Not the best comparison anyway, Reina had played 140 odd La Liga games before he moved to Liverpool. Was much more experienced and a few years older.

Are you a ****ing loon?

The above combined with your, 'Arsenal conceded more than Utd yesterday therefore DeGea is better than Sczeney', has me worried.

I actually thought you were talking about Hart or someone....

1st United goal - Sczeney should have commanded that ball, cleared everyone out. Rooney's first free kick - he got a full hand to it and barely had an affect on the ball. Rooney's second free kick - stepped away trying to be smart, caught out horrible. Parks goal - not that great a strike, had at least a chance of getting to that. Young's two and Rooney's penalty he could do nothing about; the rest there are question marks over him. He certainly didn't out perform De Gea yesterday.

• Advertisement

Lads all goalies make mistakes, that's not the issue. But making mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake in consecutive weeks is slightly different.

He's a 20 year old kid who's just started playing in a new league as the number 1 for the biggest club in the world, replacing the best keeper in the world and he doesn't even speak English! And you're calling me the loon? Get a fúcking grip.

yeah - it shows that he is having some problems at the moment. It doesn't make him a sh1t keeper - just as VDS having a nightmare in Juventus and getting dumped out didn't actually make him a crap keeper. Just as Freidel having many errors at Liverpool didn't make him a crap keeper.

De Gea is having problems - not problems I, or many other watchers of La Liga, saw him really make for At. Madrid; so I do think he can push on from these issues and put them behind him. Nervous and lacks in confidence at the moment.

I didnt say he did Mitch (although I think you're being insanely harsh on him with your view on the Utd goals!), but just from I've seen of him over the last year, I think he seems like he could really be an outstanding goalkeeper. I've yet to come to the same conclusion about DeGea, although I reckon can easily become top class.

I just found it very strange to cone in here & see people going wild about how well he's done. Crucifying the lad is wrong, but there's gotta be some balance.

I just found it very strange to cone in here & see people going wild about how well he's done. Crucifying the lad is wrong, but there's gotta be some balance.

I think you'll find that not one poster has jizzed themselves over how well De Gea has done as a whole over the last few games. The general consensus is he's made mistakes, but that he should turn out to be a fantastic keeper once he's given time to settle in. So WTF are you shíting on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

<snip>

I didnt say he did Mitch (although I think you're being insanely harsh on him with your view on the Utd goals!), but just from I've seen of him over the last year, I think he seems like he could really be an outstanding goalkeeper. I've yet to come to the same conclusion about DeGea, although I reckon can easily become top class.

I agree about Sczeney, and from what I have seen of De Gea in the last year - I am convinced he will be a great goalkeeper. He is makign errors, errors I did not expect him to make, but I don't think they are actually indicative of the keeper he is or will be long term. He is going through a poor patch at a very unfortunate time - I do think maybe the pressure is getting to him at the moment, hopefully he will aclimate himself to the club and pressure soon enough as we will need him too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Are you a ****ing loon?

I actually thought you were talking about Hart or someone....

1st United goal - Sczeney should have commanded that ball, cleared everyone out. Rooney's first free kick - he got a full hand to it and barely had an affect on the ball. Rooney's second free kick - stepped away trying to be smart, caught out horrible. Parks goal - not that great a strike, had at least a chance of getting to that. Young's two and Rooney's penalty he could do nothing about; the rest there are question marks over him. He certainly didn't out perform De Gea yesterday.
    For the first goal no way should Sczeney be responsible for that ball, that should have been cleared by the defense.

For the Walcott goal De Gea didn't have much chance but again his footwork looked messy. Often he doesn't seem to be set right for shots. Talk of him as a liability is premature but nowhere as premature as people saying they are sure he'll be no. 1 for the next decade.

Magic Marker, you may have missed Iago & PHB's posts. Have a read back.

For the first goal no way should Sczeney be responsible for that ball, that should have been cleared by the defense.

For the Walcott goal De Gea didn't have much chance but again his footwork looked messy. Often he doesn't seem to be set right for shots. Talk of him as a liability is premature but nowhere as premature as people saying they are sure he'll be no. 1 for the next decade.

Welbeck headed the ball, weakly enough, from inside the 6 yard box - WS was just standing there - he should have been out coming through the lot of them. Yes, the defence should have dealt with it - but WS should have been assuming they would not. Both were at fault and you can be sure if De Gea had been on the wrong end of it it would be getting pointed out as a bit mistake of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

one too many

Magic Marker, you may have missed Iago & PHB's posts. Have a read back.

Oh my god, you got me. I mean look, they're saying he's the greatest keeper in the world with no flaws what so ever. I'm so embarrassed for myself. To think that two fans would have something positive to say after seeing a 20 year old make some important saves, some may say world class saves, in an important game against one of the club's biggest rivals over the last 15 years in only the 3rd game of his Premier League career with the biggest club in the world without being able to properly communicate with his team mates. I mean heavens to betsy, what is this world coming to? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

De Gea made some great saves no question.

But Wallcots goal was a very poor effort by him. If that was the winning goal he'd be the bad boy but because united won easily it is quickly forgotten about I guess.

He can't afford to make those mistakes in big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Welbeck headed the ball, weakly enough, from inside the 6 yard box - WS was just standing there - he should have been out coming through the lot of them. Yes, the defence should have dealt with it - but WS should have been assuming they would not. Both were at fault and you can be sure if De Gea had been on the wrong end of it it would be getting pointed out as a bit mistake of his.
    But the ball shouldn't have got to the 6 yard box and Szezney would then have been in no mans land.

For the record I don't think we have a goalie problem at the moment, we have a promising young goalkeeper. But the De Gea is great and I won't hear anything against him brigade are far far more noisy then those suggesting he's a lability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

rarnes1 wrote: »

But Wallcots goal was a very poor effort by him. If that was the winning goal he'd be the bad boy but because united won easily it is quickly forgotten about I guess.

Exactly. That is why you iron out those mistake now rather than during the business end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Has it been forgotten. Seems like the only thing some go on about :)

Hes young, talented and has made mistakes. I am happy to give him his chance as are most Utd fans bar bateman/conno.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Exactly. That is why you iron out those mistake now rather than during the business end of the season.

In fairness, every game in the Premier League is a big game.

3 points in August/September/October will count the same as 3 points in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is Berba back playing with Bulgaria?
    mars bar wrote: »
    The ignore feature is useless because people quote.

How true!

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Has it been forgotten. Seems like the only thing some go on about :)

Hes young, talented and has made mistakes. I am happy to give him his
    chance as are most Utd fans bar bateman/conno.

Well in fairness, a mistake in an 8-2 romp doesn't matter that much is what I'm getting at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Lads would anyone be able to tell me how I would go about getting away tickets for the Everton game in October? Only ever gone to home games.

Also anyone with spare tickets for the All Ireland be great to get a pm. Fingers crossed.

Blatter wrote: »
    In fairness, every game in the Premier League is a big game.

3 points in August/September/October will count the same as 3 points in May.

So when would you rather have De Gea get his competitive match time?

a) Start of the season when games start off a week apart (For which we have so far played two weaken sides and WBA - next few games are tough on paper admittedly).

b) 'Business' end of the season with cup knockout games, 'crunch' (All the media hype) PL games, 3 game a week schedules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

Dutch journalist marcel van der kraan on talksport in next half hour regarding all things on sneidjer. Channel 0108 on sky box. Rene has made a few comments tnite to add fuel to the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Marco85 wrote: »
    Rene has made a few comments tnite to add fuel to the fire.

are you sure they aint the same quotes from about month ago just rehashed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I shall be trolling Sean's posts with this gif from now on.

rooneyejoz.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

There's a lot of ****e being thrown about here regarding de Gea. To be fair both camps are right. He's made some ferocious howlers but he's so very very young still.

Being at United can only make him a better keeper. As long as we're still doing the business the other end of the field he can have all the time in the world to develop to the level we all hope he will. He's not a bad keeper by any means nor is he a lost cause.

TheTownie wrote: »
    So when would you rather have De Gea get his competitive match time?

a) Start of the season when games start off a week apart (For which we have so far played two weaken sides and WBA - next few games are tough on paper admittedly).

b) 'Business' end of the season with cup knockout games, 'crunch' (All the media hype) PL games, 3 game a week schedules.

I don't mind giving him games now to iron out his mistakes because I think he will be a fantastic goalkeeper for us but I'm mindful of the fact that any points he could costs us in the next few PL games, could be crucial come the end of the season.

I think if he make another howler V. Bolton next game, Lindegaard could well be brought it. That obviously wouldn't be the end of De Gea, far from it, but if he keeps on making a howler per game he will be dropped. Don't make any mistake about it. If that scenario was to occur he would be given a chance in CL group stage and cup games to show he can get through 90 mins without a mistake. He would then be restored to the first team, no big deal.(unless Lindegaard proved to be amazing)

I hope to see him play against Bolton and I will be backing him but people are deluding themselves if they think SAF will continue to play De Gea in important games if he continues to make the calibre of errors he has been making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Time after time I see people replying to the same person yet all he does is pop in here for his little victory. Offers nothing to the thread yet people seem to hold him in high regard. I'm not stating that I'm a good poster in anyway but its extremely annoying to see the same guy come in here time and time again and criticise the team. No praise, just criticism.

Maybe its an internet thing. Yet they get nominated to be on that silly panel thing.

/rant over

Are you talking about me? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Van Der Kraan has said Sneijder wants move but is being "nice" and for the time being he stays at Inter as he won't ask to leave
    Van Der Kraan spoke to Sneijders agent in last 30 minutes and wouldn't comment
    Rene Mulensteen has told Dutch journos that #mufc still in for Sneijder, but Sneijders agent is not aware of any further development.

Van Der Kraan says it still MIGHT happen on the last day but they are monitoring the situation hourly. He doesn't doubt the Rene quotes

who is this van der krann lad??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Le King wrote: »
    Time after time I see people replying to the same person yet all he does is pop in here for his little victory. Offers nothing to the thread yet people seem to hold him in high regard. I'm not stating that I'm a good poster in anyway but its extremely annoying to see the same guy come in here time and time again and criticise the team. No praise, just criticism.

Maybe its an internet thing. Yet they get nominated to be on that silly panel thing.

/rant over

The most sensible statement I have ever read on this forum!

/rant over

could not have said it any better...

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    I don't mind giving him games now to iron out his mistakes because I think he will be a fantastic goalkeeper for us but I'm mindful of the fact that any points he could costs us in the next few PL games, could be crucial come the end of the season.

I think if he make another howler V. Bolton next game, Lindegaard could well be brought it. That obviously wouldn't be the end of De Gea, far from it, but if he keeps on making a howler per game he will be dropped. Don't make any mistake about it. If that scenario was to occur he would be given a chance in CL group stage and cup games to show he can get through 90 mins without a mistake. He would then be restored to the first team, no big deal.(unless Lindegaard proved to be amazing)

I hope to see him play against Bolton and I will be backing him but people are deluding themselves if they think SAF will continue to play De Gea in important games if he continues to make the calibre of errors he has been making.

I agree, every point in the PL is as important as the next...

but having said that lets say for pig iron sake a De Gea mistake costs us 3 points in a match. You drop those points now, you have 30+ games to catch up and, if its Man City you are trying to catch, 30+ games they must hold on to that advantage. As oppose to dropping those points in a match towards the end of the season, City have only, say, less than 10 games to hold on to that lead.

In short, dropping points is always something to be avoided at all costs but if you had to, you would do it earlier rather than later in the season.

I think while not dropping points is no excuse for the mistakes, the fact we are not dropping points at the moment gives him a bit of breathing space within Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Why can't we all just get along lads, I feel we are on the cusp of something great, yeah the keeper looks dodgy, the midfield is a work in progress but no team is perfect, even the 99 team had flaws, remember how they started that season!

Believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

/rant over

Do you expect him to come in here and say how great utd are and how wonderful life is, if you take the red goggles off for a minute you will see he is talking sense, if an utd fan had made the same comments as him you would probaly agree with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

Van Der Kraan has said Sneijder wants move but is being "nice" and for the time being he stays at Inter as he won't ask to leave
    Van Der Kraan spoke to Sneijders agent in last 30 minutes and wouldn't comment
    Rene Mulensteen has told Dutch journos that #mufc still in for Sneijder, but Sneijders agent is not aware of any further development.

Van Der Kraan says it still MIGHT happen on the last day but they are monitoring the situation hourly. He doesn't doubt the Rene quotes

who is this van der krann lad??
    Dutch football journo!

I think it's good to get the views of rival fans tbh. I welcome them in the pool thread by plenty of great rival posters.

It's what makes boards a great forum.

Otherwise it'd be nonsense like Red Cafe or RAWK etc.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Do you expect him to come in here and say how great utd are and how wonderful life is, if you take the red goggles off for a minute you will see he is talking sense, if an utd fan had made the same comments as him you would probaly agree with him.

Ya just look at how popular Baitman is in here! :pac:

• Advertisement

wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

wrong

Well that settles that then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think it's good to get the views of rival fans tbh. I welcome them in the pool thread by plenty of great rival posters.

It's what makes boards a great forum.

Otherwise it'd be nonsense like Red Cafe or RAWK etc.

ya its great to have a utd fan like you rarnes spreading the good world of ours in the pool thread

Well that settles that then

correct

Headshot wrote: »
    ya its great to have a utd fan like you rarnes spreading the good world of ours in the pool thread

I've been rumbled :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement