Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Blatter wrote: »
    According to reports, according to Ben Smith.

I will puke if it's true.

He would only get a game there if he was back to his best ala years ago. Which is unlikely to happen.
    So stupid move on his behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He really is desperate if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

****, it's true. The Sun have a picture of him leaving the hospital after a City medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

amiable wrote: »
    Owen Hargreaves had a medical at Man City earlier

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

mars bar wrote: »
    He really is desperate if that's the case.

How is that really desperate? He lives in Manchester, being offered a contract by a club who will challenge on all fronts in England and who are in the Champions leageue and who probably have one of the best medical facilities available with top doctors etc.

Its a no brainer for him, good luck to him and i hope it works out and he gets back to playing football at the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I will be hugely sick at the thought of us letting him go if he manages to go on a run of games for city if he does sign for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

No guarentee he will pass the medical though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I rather if he went to Spurs

Vanbis wrote: »
    How is that really desperate? He lives in Manchester, being offered a contract by a club who will challenge on all fronts in England and who are in the Champions leageue and who probably have one of the best medical facilities available with top doctors etc.

Its a no brainer for him, good luck to him and i hope it works out and he gets back to playing football at the highest level.

It's desperate not because it's Man City but the fact that it's a team packed in numbers. A team that has Silva and Nasri and Toure already. Even if he gets back to fitness which is highly unlikely, he'll find it tough to break into the team.

Vanbis wrote: »

Get the **** out.

**** Hargreaves for doing this. This is well and truly a **** of a thing to do and how dare you wish him well. This is Man City we are talking about. Hell I could have lived with Chelsea or Arsenal. But City...no, sorry.

We paid his wages for 4 years while he only played a handful of games for us. We payed all his medical bills to ensure he will play again.

While obviously he was in his rights to join whoever he wishes, this is one of those things you just don't do. Sorry, but I'm not having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

It will be nice to see Hargreaves get back to playing, but if he makes a successful comeback in a City shirt it will hurt bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

There goes all my sympathy for him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

It's desperate not because it's Man City but the fact that it's a team packed in numbers. A team that has Silva and Nasri and Toure already. Even if he gets back to fitness which is highly unlikely, he'll find it tough to break into the team.

He's a smart guy, I'm sure Mancini has explained to him how he fits into their plans.

United could come out looking foolish if he does well at City.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

this is one of those things you just don't do.

Why so?

Get the **** out.

**** Hargreaves for doing this. This is well and truly a **** of a thing to do and how dare you wish him well. This is Man City we are talking about. Hell I could have lived with Chelsea or Arsenal. But City...no, sorry.

We paid his wages for 4 years while he only played a handful of games for us. We payed all his medical bills to ensure he will play again.

While obviously he was in his rights to join whoever he wishes, this is one of those things you just don't do. Sorry, but I'm not having it.

The club let him go, he's free to jump at any offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

City's master plan is to get all 11 Man Utd players who started the CL final 2008.

Expect news of VDS changing his mind about retirement soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Silva and Nasri won't be competing with him for a position IMO

The man would be braindead to turn down an offer from City.

• Advertisement

smokedeels wrote: »
    He's a smart guy, I'm sure Mancini has explained to him how he fits into their plans.

United could come out looking foolish if he does well at City.

I just can't see it happening to be honest. Why do Man City feel they need him?

amiable wrote: »
    Silva and Nasri won't be competing with him for a position IMO

Yes I know but if they go 4 3 3 with Tevez back, will they line out with Tevez or Aguero running off the side of Dzeko with Silva and Nasri doing the creative work and Toure doing the cleaning up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

QPR have supposedly made a loan bid for Macheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

because every time De Jong doesn't play they concede goals?

If he was fit he'd be a better than decent back-up for one of their two holding midfield roles, and he'll probably be happy with being a bit part squad player on a pay per play deal so it's win win really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

if city think he is good enough to offer him a pay as you play contract, it just baffles me even mroe why united got rid of him. spurs allegidly after him too, yet we get rid of him and keep the likes of gibson, diouf on our books?

city dont make me angry, hargreaves doesnt make me angry either, its our decision to just give up on a player that ws willing to play for free.

lets wait and see if it happens though, i dont think it will but stranger thinks have happened.

smokedeels wrote: »
    The club let him go, he's free to jump at any offer.

Did you miss the part of my post where I actually said that?

Obviously it was going to be difficult to turn down an offer from City. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't feel like been given the two fingers. And I certainly won't be wishing him well, I wish him all the injures in the world. Hope he never steps foot on a football field again.

If it happens of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Get the **** out.

Hilarious. Some people believe pro footballers are motivated by loyalty rather than money. Especially one born in Calgary who has played for Bristol rovers and Bayern Munich, who is in his thirties and that has been out of the game for two years. He is lucky to be playing again at all, never mind for a top four champions league side.

Quite simply its too good an offer to turn down. City or not. Yes they are rivals but only in the last two years, its doesn't sting as much as a move to Liverpool or Chelsea. Footballers have a short shelf life and Owen needs to make as much cash as possible before he retires, City is the perfect club for this as they are flush.

Having one last oppurtunity to do so at City is a no brainer.

I guess Mancini sees him as a replacement for Vieira with the notion that he could push for a regular place if his fitness holds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

See no problem with haregreaves joining city at all . United let him go , he should be looking for the best club he can get if city is that club so be it .

All the best to him .

I would feel different about this if say he let his contract run down and then joined city that would be sly but this is ok with me .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think Hargreaves has a number of offers from clubs where he'd get a game, if he chooses to go to city then that would be incredibly disloyal against a club who put so much faith in him.

I have to say I'd think less of him in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,482 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

keane2097 wrote: »
    The man would be braindead to turn down an offer from City.

If it is money he wants, yeah. His chances of first team football in that midfield are surely very limited - he could go to many other sides and play regularly if he is confident of his fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

I don't know why but I've seen reports that Man City have failed with bids for Mark Van Bommel so looks like they have turned to Hargreaves to fill that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

He's hardly been checked over by United again?
    Just a thought :o

I live in hope. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

that would be incredibly disloyal against a club who put so much faith in him.

Why's that? Because there's a percieved rivalry? Because he's going to a challenging club and not West Brom? I don't think SAF would see it as disloyal, because of what Your Airbag said:
    Hilarious. Some people believe pro footballers are motivated by loyalty rather than money. Especially one born in Calgary who has played for Bristol rovers and Bayern Munich, who is in his thirties and that has been out of the game for two years. He is lucky to be playing again at all, never mind for a top four champions league side.

Quite simply its too good an offer to turn down. City or not. Yes they are rivals but only in the last two years, its doesn't sting as much as a move to Liverpool or Chelsea. Footballers have a short shelf life and Owen needs to make as much cash as possible before he retires, City is the perfect club for this as they are flush.

Having one last oppurtunity to do so at City is a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Did you miss the part of my post where I actually said that?

Obviously it was going to be difficult to turn down an offer from City. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't feel like been given the two fingers. And I certainly won't be wishing him well, I wish him all the injures in the world. Hope he never steps foot on a football field again.

If he had his way he would still be a United player. He fought through years of injury setbacks in order to give himself one more chance to play high level professional football. I hope wherever he goes (and obviously I wish it was still here), that he proves his fitness and gets to finish his career in the way that a pro like him deserves to.

Can't believe any fan of the club would wish further misfortune on a player who gave his all every time he set foot on the pitch for united (the fact that he didn't get to play often was through no fault of his own. Or, ironically enough, it was. The fact that he ran harder and longer than pretty much any other professional footballer today probably made his tendonitis a bigger issue than it would be for other players. The single biggest cause of tendonitis, and hindrance to its recovery, is over-work).

Obviously it was going to be difficult to turn down an offer from City. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't feel like been given the two fingers.

According to the man himself he offered to play for us without wages but he was turned down as the club wasn't interested, he made the gesture but SAF probably felt it best for all involved to move on.

And I certainly won't be wishing him well, I wish him all the injures in the world. Hope he never steps foot on a football field again.

Come on.... He's hardly a club legend just a great player who had awful luck just as his career was hitting the highest level, there's never a need to wish harm on somebody like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lads, i think we should all hold off on the abuse of hargreaves until ye see him holding up the city shirt. have ye not learned from previous episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

I think Hargreaves has a number of offers from clubs where he'd get a game, if he chooses to go to city then that would be incredibly disloyal against a club who put so much faith in him.

I have to say I'd think less of him in that case.

Of all the clubs in for Hargo, City have the most ambition. If he can sign for them then he should imo.

If he does sign and makes a good comeback we will look like right mugs though; even more so given the fact we are a bit short in midfield.The salt in the wound for us will be the fact that it's for City.

It's not his fault we didn't give him yet another chance.

• People moaning about Hargreaves joining City are absolutely clueless. He did offer to play for free for us and we turned him down. The lad is free to sign for whoever he wishes and I wish him all the best at whatever club he joins. Will be a kick in the teeth if he stays fit and plays a lot of games, but ultimately the manager and the club made the decision to let him go and they will have to stand by that decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

when was the last time he played 90mins of competitive football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Jeez lads chill out .

You all know that it will only take a gust of wind across the midfield and Hargreaves will be injured for a couple of seasons.

He is useless .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

In fairness United let him go, I wish him all the best and would love to see him playing again, super player and one of the underrated performers of the Champions League winning year.

He is unemployed now and a free agent, none of our business who he signs for. I will always suspect City's motives after the revelations last week with Tevez and the fact they almost Joey Squeaking Utensil our bid for him. Its all gamesmanship and another 'put another one over on the neighbours' ploy.

Although looking at the links they all seem to be the Sun, I will believe it when I see it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

syngindub wrote: »
    when was the last time he played 90mins of competitive football?

Sept 09 I think against chelsea

Might even be 08 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

mixednuts wrote: »
    Jeez lads chill out .

You all know that it will only take a gust of wind across the midfield and Hargreaves will be injured for a couple of seasons.

He is useless .

I think calling him useless is being a bit harsh...... brittle might be a better word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Sept 09 I think against chelsea

Might even be 08 ?

he may think in his head he still has it but i guarantee you he won't play 90 minutes in total this season for any club.

• Advertisement

mixednuts wrote: »
    Jeez lads chill out .

He is useless .

Yeah, you've just reminded me of why we let him go. He hasn't kicked a ball in anger in 3 years.

I'm going to forget about him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Jesus lads, you's have awful short memories. A couple of hours ago you's were saying that RAWK was a kip and all they do is wish death/bad luck/injury on a player. And here you's are doing it yourself.

Cop on.

The lad has had enough bad luck in his career. Surely he deserves a break. I'm shocked that it's City, I'm shocked that Owen is even thinking of it. But as has been said numerous times, he offered to play for free, United declined.

He's free to sign for who ever he wants. Man City will be playing Champions League, FA Cup, Carling Cup and in the premier league. There will be plenty of games. If he can prove his fitness, he'll play enough of them as well.

I would have loved him to still be at United, he was one of my favourite players in the double winning season. I was devastated when he broke down against Wolves as I thought he had finally turned the corner. Hopefully now he has and his injury worries are behind him.

Best of luck to Owen Hargreaves for whoever he signs, I hope he wins **** all, but I hope he plays again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Get the **** out.

Seriously grow up and stop whingeing. He has to pass a medical first. So what if its Man City. Manutd have moved on many times before and will do it again.

Your post is embarrassing for Manutd fans to read, real ones. What about all those who wished him well when the club announced he was leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

If it happens of course.

Appalling stuff from you tbh. All the more surprising as you are usually a good poster. I hope you retract it and it was a rush of blood because it just reads really bad.

As has been said previously, wish him all the best. Utd dont want him so good luck to him wahtever he does.

Probably should put the gloating a lot of people do about Michael Owen in this thread into some perspective as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement