Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

so he doesnt live in Manchester?!! wtf are you on about?

You are claiming he lives in Manchester but he has spent most of his time in America and Canada, I own an apartment in France but I don't live there. Your point was pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I can't stand Rooney, and I do reckon he would have joined City. However, I think his motivation was success, rather then purely money although money did obviously play a part

When he handed in his request, City were spending fortunes bringing in new players, Chelsea were champions and Utd had let the likes of Ronaldo and Tevez go while not spending all that much bringing people in

While I don't doubt that he got a decent pay rise to stay, I'd suspect he was also given guarantees regarding Utd's ambition and willingness of the owners to invest in the side and remain competitive

Regarding where he'd have gone, I can't see the wrath of the Utd fans being a barrier to him going to City. He is after all despised in Liverpool (although fractions of the blue have are beginning to thaw), his home City so to have half of Manchester on his back would be unlikely to really bother him relative to that

I also just couldn't see him at Real or Barca, not for footballing reasons, purely cultural. He just has the look of a guy who'd get sunburnt standing in the shade and probably wouldn't adapt well to the whole language thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

imo ...

Keeping Rooney and breaking wage structures will probably turn out to one of SAF's best pieces of business EVER .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

killwill wrote: »
    You are claiming he lives in Manchester but he has spent most of his time in America and Canada, I own an apartment in France but I don't live there. Your point was pointless.
    nothing to do with me but i answered you earlier incase you missed it .
    Why was he away from Manchester ? Because he was getting treatment from the worlds best to try get him back playing . He would have been in Manchester for the most part the last 4 year otherwise .

Does he even live in Manchester its prob cheshire ? Doesn't matter either way , point is he doesn't have to change house

He is going to be playing for City. His goal will be to win the league, the champions league etc. United doing well will mean City do not win those trophies so he simply can't want United to do well. I don't see how he can possibly want United to do well. Same as I can't possibly see why Tevez, Silva, Aguero, Milner, Toure etc would want United to do well. Same way I can't possibly see why Rooney, Chico, Welbeck, Young, Jones etc want City to do well.

Jones may want Blackburn to do well, as them doing well is staying up - not winning the league. De Gea may want At.Madrid to do well cause them doing well has virtually no impact at all on United. They won't want a title or champions league rival to do well.

EDIT: Also, your last sentence is interesting. You say once United cut ties with him, we (as fans) lost the right to criticise him - yet we retain the obligation to wish him well? Is that not contradictory?
    Welbeck spent a few months at Man City at when he was 8 years old ,city didnt think he was good enough two weeks later he signed for united . Kind of a similar situation to Hargreaves . Shocking Danny Welbeck not wishing Man city to do well by signing for United .

I AM JOKING INCASE SOMEONE DOESNT REALISE THAT

nothing to do with me but i answered you earlier incase you missed it .

The point I was making earlier is, and you are correct, whilst he could live in his house so he can play for City, he is not playing for City to he can live in his house.
    He spent alot of time back in Canada after his treatment and rehabilitation, which is why I thought he might play a year in the MLS with Toronto for example, before commiting himself to the EPL.
    Look if wants to cash in at City it is up to him, I personally just don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Welbeck spent a few months at Man City at when he was 8 years old ,city didnt think he was good enough two weeks later he signed for united . Kind of a similar situation to Hargreaves . Shocking Danny Welbeck not wishing Man city to do well by signing for United .

GET HIM OUT!!!

Giggs too. Didnt he have a trial? Unacceptable.

??? Really you are comparing Hargreaves to an 8 year old? Well I do suppose his actions are like that of an 8 year old actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

mixednuts wrote: »
    imo ...

Keeping Rooney and breaking wage structures will probably turn out to one of SAF's best pieces of business EVER .

He's the best player at the club and I think he might have his best season yet this year.

Despite what I said, I think you're correct and SAF was right to keep him at any cost, you only need to look at Arsenal to see what happens when a big club tries to operate a relatively small wage structure.

I cheer for Rooney despite his greed, it's just a part of the modern game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

keane2097 wrote: »
    Lot of ugly, ugly shit in this thread.

I'll come back tomorrow, try to have a bit of humanity folks, a lot of you are disgracing yourselves up in here.

Funny stuff altogether. Stay classy folks!

• Advertisement

killwill wrote: »
    ??? Really you are comparing Hargreaves to an 8 year old? Well I do suppose his actions are like that of an 8 year old actually.
    No im just messing .

You gotta love Twitter :
    Unconfirmed reports @thmichaelowen is setting off for WHL on Brown Panther RT @HarbsLFC: let us know if you see reports if any helicopters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,339 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Danny Welbeck was a kid - that City invested pretty much nothing in, and whom the fans never heard about let alone supported. He was there a few weeks, and they didn't want him. Welbeck signed for United and over a decade later is playing in the first team - do you think Danny signing for United at the age of 8 and playing for the youth teams for 10 years affected the success of United or City over that time period?

It is completely different.

Also, do you expect Danny to hope City do well? I don't.

Do you expect City fans to hope Danny (and therefor United) do well? I don't.

You gonna have a go at, and decry the humanity of, City fans who don't hope Danny does really well for United?

Do I want Hargreaves to break down? No. Do I want his legs to fall off? No. Do I want him to play brilliantly for our title rivals? No.

Do I want Hargreaves to break down? No. Do I want his legs to fall off? No. Do I want him to play brilliantly for our title rivals? No.

tbh, I hope he plays well... I hope their entire team does. I just want our lads to play better, a nice strong league and no more of this 8:2, 5:1 business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Danny Welbeck was a kid - that City invested pretty much nothing in, and whom the fans never heard about let alone supported. He was there a few weeks, and they didn't want him. Welbeck signed for United and over a decade later is playing in the first team - do you think Danny signing for United at the age of 8 and playing for the youth teams for 10 years affected the success of United or City over that time period?

You gonna have a go at, and decry the humanity of, City fans who don't hope Danny does really well for United?

It was clearly a joke about Welbeck, who gives a shít where a kid had a trial at the age of 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Storm in a teacup stuff. The lad has played about 6 mins of competitive football at first team level since Sept 08.

Personally, I think it's a bad move for him. Even when fit, he'll only see very limited action. To get back to anything close to the level he was at 3 years ago, he'll need regular first team football. If he proved his fitness for a year at West Brom, got back the match sharpness and came back to his level, he'd be in a better position to move and hold down a regular spot at a "top" club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

smokedeels wrote: »
    Nope, it's after the events and published on the club's website. It's a PR exercise.

:pac:

From the player himself on our club site and its not good enough. I could supply plenty more links but what would be the point. Your one of those people incapable of being wrong I'm guessing.

In that case can you supply evidence to the contrary please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Jesus Christ. He was being sarcastic.

As long as Hargreaves stays in England, he is playing for a direct rival. He could as easily score the goal that wins City the League, or he could score a goal for West Brom against United which deprives United of the league.

That's me finished on this matter for today. It's all going round in circles in here today.
    I assume tomorrow we'll be back to De Gea is ****e.
    Wellbeck isn't good enough etc etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

First it was the Sneijder speculation and arguments surrounding it.

Then the De Gea Bateman arguments

Now this shít.

Can we not focus on the fact that we have a young, incredibly talented team with more depth than we've had in years? We're three matches in, we're top of the league (at the start of the season!), we beat Arsenal 8 -2 and tbh I havn't been this excited about a United team ever.

A player gave us great service, helped us win our last Champions League and has been moved on by the club against his will. He's shown nothing by loyalty.

Is Dennis Law any less of a club legend because he played for City? Not in my eyes.

I wish Hargreaves all the best, no matter where he ends up. He just better not score against us.

Can please go back to Sneijder speculation? Or De Gea? Those were less vicious than this.

• Advertisement

:pac:

From the player himself on our club site and its not good enough. I could supply plenty more links but what would be the point. Your one of those people incapable of being wrong I'm guessing.

In that case can you supply evidence to the contrary please?

Ah look, I'm just giving my opinion, I didn't want to reignite the Rooney saga, the seeds of this debate began in a flippant comment I made in reference to Hargo joining City.

Maybe his comments are genuine, I don’t know, you don’t either, a great deal more transpired behind the scenes and in the minds of people we don’t know, we can only piece together events and motives from the scraps we are fed in the media.

I’ll concede that I’m incapable of knowing if I’m right or wrong in my opinion and we can leave it at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

tbh, I hope he plays well... I hope their entire team does. I just want our lads to play better, a nice strong league and no more of this 8:2, 5:1 business.

Now I understand some of the niceness here towards Hargreaves but I never want one of our rivals to play well. This I dont get at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

fearcruach wrote: »
    Is Dennis Law any less of a club legend because he played for City? Not in my eyes.

Some would send death threats to @denislaw if that happened now, the good news is that Hargreaves won't be sending Utd down a division.

Anyway on a lighter note
    Owen Hargreaves' move to #mcfc breaks down amid injury scare. Apparently, he fell out of the transfer window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Would it be worse or better if he joined Liverpool??:eek:

Now I understand some of the niceness here towards Hargreaves but I never want one of our rivals to play well. This I dont get at all.

I'm not longing for them do well... bad choice of words but, for example was beating that Arsenal team 8:2 any kind of victory to savour? I want us to win everything but not at a canter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

dahat wrote: »
    Would it be worse or better if he joined Liverpool??:eek:

Better for me as my mate who big Pool fan said Hargreaves was useless as they got, so for that reason I want him go there then City:p

Better for me as my mate who big Pool fan said Hargreaves was useless as they got, so for that reason I want him go there then City:p

Do we know each other ? ;)

Pre-Injuries?

ffs, is your mate Stevie Wonder by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Hargreaves won't get a game at city, they already have a quality defensive midfielder in toure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

mixednuts wrote: »
    Do we know each other ? ;)

if your from Down then we might be;)
    Pre-Injuries?

ffs, is your mate Stevie Wonder by any chance?

Sure all those supporters think they are:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I’ll concede that I’m incapable of knowing if I’m right or wrong in my opinion and we can leave it at that

Fair enough. My reaction was a little strong too but I thought the source was unchallangable but it didn't stop you :D

This thread has ventured into the twilight zone today, lots of posters seem to be going a little potty.

I guess the euphoria after thrashing eight past Arsenal has gone to peoples heads a little .

In an attempt to steer us away from it, how about the following for a topic...

Does anyone think yesterdays win was extreme flattery.............bear with me.........

We hammered an under strenght Arsenal team but the amount of time and space afforded to us was crazy.

Arsenal came with not only an under strenght team but they attempted to play their usual game. There was no plan B. If Fergie had such a depleted squad going to a league winning ground I imagine the tactics would have been adjusted to cope and certainly not to play so openly.

Granted Utd were great but its was hard not to be as we were given so much license to be. A Norwich or QPR would be much harder to get at than the gunners were yesterday as they might park the bus to an extent.

With a two week international break I hope some of the youngsters don't use the time to wallow in their brilliance at beating a "top four" side so emphatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

darokane wrote: »
    Hargreaves won't get a game at city, they already have a quality defensive midfielder in toure

He doesn't play in a true DM role. De Jong does but what if they get crocked? What about the ACN?

G.K. wrote: »
    He doesn't play in a true DM role. De Jong does but what if they get crocked? What about the ACN?

Then that'll be 3 players in the physio room:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

EDIT: Also, your last sentence is interesting. You say once United cut ties with him, we (as fans) lost the right to criticise him - yet we retain the obligation to wish him well? Is that not contradictory?

Contradictory? It might be, if I had said that. Where did I say anybody had an obligation to wish him well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

So Hargreaves might be signing for City, so what?

Seems like the last two pages of this thread belong here tbh

Samba wrote: »
    So Hargreaves might be signing for City, so what?

Seems like the last two pages of this thread belong here tbh

We all know Hargreaves didn't play much for United but he still was a United player and any player who crosses the divide will get a lot of discussion on Man Utd forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Aren't Citeh meant to be the "noisy neighbours" ???

The last 20+ pages of this is depressing, we're United for f sake, I'm confident we've got what it takes to stay on top for the foreseeable future... A Citeh fan would love reading all these comments.

Let them worry about us and not the other way around!

soooooooooooooooo

Will there be any deadline day deals does anyone think?
    Personally i think the squad is good enough to win the league again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Aside of a suprise CM you're prolly done for the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Owen Hargreaves' move to #mcfc breaks down amid injury scare. Apparently, he fell out of the transfer window

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

keane2097 wrote: »

It was funny the first time I heard it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It was funny the first time I heard it.

?action=view&current=Cool_story_bro.jpg&newest=1%5Cx26usg%5Cx3d__kiGKEvBQO9zdC_qfIM7tTJ30pnE%5Cx3d%5Cx26h%5Cx3d281%5Cx26w%5Cx3d285%5Cx26sz%5Cx3d15%5Cx26hl%5Cx3den%5Cx26start%5Cx3d2%5Cx26zoom%5Cx3d1%5Cx26itbs%5Cx3d1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Very strange move by Hargreaves and it doesnt sit well with me.

The man has barely kicked a ball in 3 years and only last week he was talking about proving his fitness to everyone ,playing 40 games a season and working his way back into the England squad.
    He needs a long run in a team to get back to match fitness and regain his edge.

Does he think that will happen at a club like city who chop and change players every transfer window and buy players just for the sake of it only to have them rot in the reserves the following season ?

Hargreaves has been a massive drain on Utd since his transfer,
    working out at an astonishing £1.33million a match when his transfer fee and salary are taken into account.

To go to Utd'd hated rivals is disappointing and disrespectful .
    Any other club would have been acceptable .
    I thought better of him but it seems he is like most modern footballers ,in it for the money .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Hes a professional footballer and if a club like city comes in for him he would be stupid not to jump at it, stop being bitter.

He gave everything for utd when fit, I wish him all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I thought better of him but it seems he is like most modern footballers ,in it for the money .

:rolleyes:

S'pose that's why he offered to play for United for free this season then?

OctavarIan wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

S'pose that's why he offered to play for United for free this season then?

Think you need to read back a couple of pages, that 1 sentence is out of context.

Fenix wrote: »
    Hes a professional footballer and if a club like city comes in for him he would be stupid not to jump at it, stop being bitter.

He gave everything for utd when fit, I wish him all the best.

This,

We are all a bit down that it didn't work for him at United having got our hopes up so many times that he was on the comeback trail and the idea of him as a City player just makes it worse.

I think some of the things being directed at him in this thread are just reactions to disappointment and most of us will have clearer heads in a few days.

This,

We are all a bit down that it didn't work for him at United having got our hopes up so many times that he was on the comeback trail and the idea of him as a City player just makes it worse.

I think some of the things being directed at him in this thread are just reactions to disappointment and most of us will have clearer heads in a few days.

The only thing I can see directed at him is disappointed and frustration. I don't think anyone wiashed an injury on him did they? that would be a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    and he's a ****ing cracking player if he can get going, and would imo instantly become their first choice defensive midfielder

DeJong? Toure?

You're going gaga lately :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Has the thread come off that slippery slope yet??

Don't fancy reading back through the pages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement