Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mr Alan wrote: »
    DeJong? Toure?

You're going gaga lately :D

Hargreaves, if he is fit, is one of the best defensive midfielders in the world. The only question is over his fitness. Since he hasn't played in nearly three years, and a big part of his game was his athleticism, I think it's unlikely. But if he could get back to his old self, I had zero doubt he'd be first choice. I would be very surprised if he could do that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

DeJong is as good as Hargreaves at his best.

Toure is a force of nature too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Did a bit of digging around . Is there much difference between signing for man city today or arsenal 2/3 years ago . I don't think so both are direct rivals to ourselves

Here Mitch has no problem with Silverstre joining arsenal here because he doesn't strengthen their first team . I'd hardly consider a player who hasnt played for pretty much 3 years to considerably strengthen man citys team tbh . If anything the Silvestre transfer would have had more damage on our team and possibly our success than Hargreaves

Another one where doesn't seem to kick up fuss about one of our players joining a RIVAL

Here he says hargreaves won't get many games so his impact on man city's success or having any impact on our success couldnt be very high .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Anyone thinking that Hargreaves will be able to come back to anyway near his best, is deluded.

Gutted it never worked out for him, many a time I hope he would make it back but alas never to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Tweety bird was a pile of crap at the time and was a terrible deal from Wenger.

Hargreaves is class. If he gets fit and returns to form, he would walk into any PL team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Lads I honestly hope hargreeves can play ball again, And finishing second or third for the rest of his career wont be so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

I'm not angry at Hargreaves but if he does go to City and a month later it turns out he's contracted the clap I wouldn't be upset!

Anyways, onwards and upwards! I think this is most certainly a time for us UTD fans to be thankful, a fantastic young team who could easily play together for the next 10+ years, a well organized corporate structure that will make us the financially strongest team in the world if these FFP rules are implemented. All the time managing to fend off old rivals and new. For 20 years we've be untouchable and that looks set to continue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Owen Hargreaves was the best player on the pitch in the 2008 Champions League Final in Moscow. Watch it again, he was damn near perfect.

IF he can get back to his best, he will be a huge asset. I, and apparently the Manchester United staff, dont reckon he will.

Cannot believe City giving him a medical has got this thread so many pages...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

At his best Hargo was one of my favourite players and I'd have a fit him ahead of De Jong or Toure. He was one of our best in 08/09. I will be sad to see him playing in a City jersey but he has to do what's best for him. His career is nearly over, one big payday might be all he has left and they can pay much more than West Brom or Everton and he can be minded better.

I was one of the few here arguing we should keep him on as a member of our 25 man squad and I still feel that he is above being called a traitor or anything. I'm amazed to see Mitch have such a strong reaction as he himself was strongly against us keeping on Hargo. You can't want to drop a player and then get upset with his choice of new team.

With that said I hope he gets back fit for himself but wouldn't have a problem if he never got back to the playing level he was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Lads who are the best people to follow on twitter for Utd news?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Whats the dealio with Macheda, Is he getting a loan deal or not?

Fantastic deal for Hargreaves. Dream move for him tbf.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fantastic deal for Heargreaves. Dream move for him tbf.

Did you mean to post in the city thread.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Did you mean to post in the city thread.

No :confused:

No :confused:

Fair enough, the dream move part just made me assume it was more of a city relevant post than United.

Never mind!

Fair enough, the dream move part just made me assume it was more of a city relevant post than United.

Never mind!

A move to any top club is surely a dream for him in fairness.

If he stays fit he'll be a decent squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

is the hargreaves deal done? yet to see it confirmed anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Just playing football is Hargreaves dream at this stage.

I'd imagine the medical care that can be given to Hargreaves at City compared to that of clubs like Leicester and West Brom is a huge drawing point for him.

Did anyone see the stat that De Gea has made the most saves this season.

I didn't realise he had that much to deal with.

Maybe the midfield is too open.

In before Bateman :p

• Advertisement

united to top £300million turn over for last season... f*cking hell:eek::eek::eek:

also, will record an operating profit of £100million plus...net profit to go from -84million to a plus figure.

staggering figures, club is in safe hands for 4 or 5 years yet even if things go belly up, the glazers are some men for running the club at a commercial level.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/30/manchester-united-record-operating-profits

The two tier share system sounds interesting too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

I have to begrudgeingly admire ferguson. Master tactician and a world class asshole. Cant wait for the manchester derbys and the inevitable cl barca match. I think a real/utd match would be sh1te to watch. that being said i dont want this to be no. 20 but it is a 2 horse race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

It because of how many shots, from distance, that the opposition are trying on him. Even in the Arsenal game they had loads of shots on target, but Fantasy Football only gave him about 5 saves I think. Still it seems he's a good one for FF shots saved, plus he should get a decent amount of clean sheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Technique

30887416113270730143011.jpg30887416113270730143011.jpg30887416113270730143011.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

^ only a matter of time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

The two tier share system sounds interesting too.

Thats another reason why the Glazers aren't listing in Hong Kong, they don't allow dual share structures.

Was wondering how they knew the IPO would be happening in mid-october. Turns out the Singapore Exchange Chief Executive Magnus Böcker promised an approval of four weeks for the IPO. Usually they take 12 weeks to get approval but this IPO is being fast-tracked.

Those financials are out Thursday. No doubt a copy will be floating around.

the sneijder family are on the twitter WUM tonight in a big way.

the brother posted this -
    RodneySneijder
    Always look on the bright side of life!:)

and then the wife posted that she will follow her husband no matter where he goes..

i would think that they have had enough of people annoying them and have decided to go on the wind up...

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

the sneijder family are on the twitter WUM tonight in a big way.

the brother posted this -

and then the wife posted that she will follow her husband no matter where he goes..

i would think that they have had enough of people annoying them and have decided to go on the wind up...

Ya I noticed that too. Sneijder himself has tweeted: "Goodnight everyone!! Thanks for all the support. From all over the world!" :confused:

I can't wait till tomorrow night when all this transfer ****e is over and done with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Family of trolls :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He end up with City now :pac::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I see Skybet have finally changed their odds on Sneijder leaving Inter. Its taken long enough, but I suppose they were just covering themselves. Gone from odds on, to 7/2 now for anyone still with the slighest inkling he will leave Inter. 1/6 for him to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

If Hargreaves is fit and we let a great player like him go then its disgracful..

We need a holding player for the big games in Europe and Owen fitted this bill perfectly.

Is this a wind up by City or what.

I wish him the best of luck. A wonderful player and a great guy.

Such a pity he was kicked out of Utd.

We will regret this.

Fantastic deal for Hargreaves. Dream move for him tbf.

?action=view&current=Cool_story_bro.jpg&newest=1%5Cx26usg%5Cx3d__kiGKEvBQO9zdC_qfIM7tTJ30pnE%5Cx3d%5Cx26h%5Cx3d281%5Cx26w%5Cx3d285%5Cx26sz%5Cx3d15%5Cx26hl%5Cx3den%5Cx26start%5Cx3d2%5Cx26zoom%5Cx3d1%5Cx26itbs%5Cx3d1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

NickDrake wrote: »
    If Hargreaves is fit and we let a great player like him go then its disgracful..

We need a holding player for the big games in Europe and Owen fitted this bill perfectly.

Is this a wind up by City or what.

I wish him the best of luck. A wonderful player and a great guy.

Such a pity he was kicked out of Utd.

We will regret this.
    Richard Steadman has been repairing sportsmen's knees for 35 years and told Hargreaves he had never seen so much erosion. "It was a dark day, hard to take," Hargreaves said recently. "This was coming from a guy who was 72 years old and had seen a lot of knees."
    having started 25 games for United at nearly £1m each

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/mar/05/owen-hargreaves-manchester-united-england

He was fit when he made his most recent comeback and went off injured straight away. United gave him lots of time and help. Contract wasn't renewed so he wasn't kicked out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Deadline day is upon us!! The sooner the better it's over and we can all get back to normal for 4 months at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

MU Finance PLC announces that it will release its Financial Results for the year ended 30th June 2011 on Thursday 1st September 2011.
    Its going to be a very interesting Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Headshot wrote: »

Good article on it here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/30/manchester-united-record-operating-profits

Headshot wrote: »

not really, the figures have been excellent all year. looks to be the best results in the history of the club. no hopefully they will float some of the club and bring down the debt by about 200m...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

not really, the figures have been excellent all year. looks to be the best results in the history of the club. no hopefully they will float some of the club and bring down the debt by about 200m...

Be fantastic if they brought it down to that amount...

Better then the what was it 800million or so in first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Sky are expecting City to complete the Hargreaves move shortly enough :(

I'd say Gill et al wont be hanging around the office too late tonight!

Wonder when the first rumours about Wesley S being seen at Manchester airport will slither out....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

I personally hope that Gill will only be receiving calls today and wont have a need to make any..

No sign of any reported interest in PIG or Gibson.

Is today the deadline for PL loan moves too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,483 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would hope the float will bring it down by a lot more than that. 200million would only be 1/3 of 'expected' float value.

The could get rid of all the debt with the proceeds of the float and still have money left over at the end (They could buy themselves new houses if they want, once the debt is done with, imo.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I would hope the float will bring it down by a lot more than that. 200million would only be 1/3 of 'expected' float value.

The could get rid of all the debt with the proceeds of the float and still have money left over at the end (They could buy themselves new houses if they want, once the debt is done with, imo.)

I did not realise the float could wipe out all the debt. Wow! Please let this happen.

killwill wrote: »
    I did not realise the float could wipe out all the debt. Wow! Please let this happen.

it is, in my opinion, unlikely, but it is possible.

There is about 450million owning in Bond debts. We are supposed to be expecting to raise 600million from the IPO. So, we could pay off the Bond debt, plus the 8.7% penalty (I think that is the figure) and still have over 100million left from the float - for the Glazers to do whatever they want with I suppose.

I think it is more likely that we will see the 200million reduction homer mentioned (half the bond debt) and we will 'see' 220million disappear - in my view paying off the loan they have to have gotten to pay off the PIKs initially. That would still leave a little under 200million left - which they could do anything with.

We should know the full plan soon enough, if (when) the offer is rubber stamped to be listed, the club will have to provide a prospectus, which will outline the exact plan for the proceeds of the IPO, and whatever is written in that document is exactly what the Glazers must do. So, soon enough (within the next 2 months) we should know exactly what the plan is with regards to the Bond debt and the IPO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I got this from Redcafe, it looks correct... anyone missing?

England - Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Tom Cleverley, Ashley Young, Wayne Rooney
    Denmark - Anders Lindegaard
    France - Patrice Evra
    Mexico - Javier Hernández
    Northern Ireland - Jonny Evans
    Portugal - Nani
    Scotland - Darren Fletcher
    Spain U21 - David de Gea
    markc1184 wrote: »
    Deadline day is upon us!! The sooner the better it's over and we can all get back to normal for 4 months at least.

We have two weeks of international football upon us, expect lots of posts about DDG beging dodgy between now and the Bolton game.

As a quick addition to my post about the bond debt and the IPO.

There is a big reason why i think there is a chance we could see the Bond debt cleared by the IPO.

The Bond requires a yearly interest repayment (quite high) and needs to be repayed, in full, in 2017.

My figuring on this was that the Glazers never really planned on paying off the Bond that the plan was to issue a new Bond in 2017 to cover the old one and things would remain the same. However, I think the selling of a new Bond in 2017 could be complicated by the IPO, with up to 30% of the club being owned by outside interests. Issuing a new Bond in 2017 would come with continued interest cost as well. A cost the club would have to endure. We would also remain ~500million in debt and the problems that would come with it.

The IPO is, imo, the easiest and cheapest way to pay off the Bond - it gets rid of the interest repayments, retians ownership for the Glazers and makes the club itself more profitable. With the increase in profits (and new 30% owners) comes the need for dividends - which the Glazers would be obliged to pay the new 30% crowd - and would thus take for themselves too.

So, the Glazers would increase the profitability of the club and make it easier for themselves to take money from the club for their 'hard work' without it actually being an issue - fan would prob still bitch a bit when they took their dividend out, but I don't think it would be a big issue; we paid them when we were a PLC and they would be seen as more normal rather than a debt leverage issue caused by the Glazers. Gets the vast majority of fans behind them, retain control, increase the money they make from United - while making United a crap load stronger with regards to FFP and potential in the transfer market.

It could be win-win - a stroke of genius. We'll see if the Glazers are planning the same soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have absolutely no idea what you are on about Mitch but it sounds positive!

thumbs_up.jpg

Exciting news out of Old Trafford?!

*pants down*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Sky News just reported "some exciting news coming out of Old Trafford for United fans shortly"

interesting!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement