Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i thknk im just going to turn off SSN, turn off the laptop and get back to work and get counting my money jar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The yahoo transfer ticker link has the following with a picture of Sneijder
    All the latest news and gossip on deadline day, with Manchester United trying to… More

When you click more the ticker opens up and I can't see any Utd/Wes related posts. The cheeky beggers. Flagrant false advertising. :D

Edit they just added a poll "Do you think Sneijder will join utd on Deadline day?"

Its 26% YES to 74% NO at the moment. Okay back to reality.

Latest from utd.com
    Soren Lerby, agent of Wesley Sneijder, has denied suggestions that his client is in England, having a medical with United. However, he remains vague. "It is absolutely not true," the Dane told TMW, of those medical rumours. When pressed on whether or not Sneijder would be remaining at Internazionale, however, Lerby replied: "Again, the news I was referring to is not true."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Has everyone seen this?! Watch closely when the page loads.

That's bizarre! I've been sceptical the whole time, but that on the website makes me think something's afoot!

If you turn off all the lights in a room and say into a mirror "Sneijder, Sneijder, Sneijder" this appears:

364340400_1.jpg

Spooky or what?!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The big news Sky had for us was Sneijder but they are struggling to 'firm up the whispers', so that's why they haven't reported it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Damn short attention span!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

I wonder what Sean would have said when Giggs Scholes Neville Beckham & Butt were coming through the ranks .

I lauded Fergie back in 1995 becuase they were obviously class players. And I also identified that other young players like John O'Kane, David Twiss etc weren't.
    Blatter wrote: »
    Sean, what do you think of Anderson and his future at United?

He's playing well lately but I've laways viewed as unreliable and inconsistent. More of the same required.
    TheTownie wrote: »
    Sean Baitman should have gone to Specsavers!

because he is the most short-sighted football fan in the world.

Also, City fans should be thanking their lucky stars Sean Baitman doesn't 'support' their team as they would have had to put up with 6 to 8 months of hyperbolic bullshít WRT Dzeko. Look at him now... Amazing what a player can do once he has settled.

Dzeko's relatively poor touch and technique apparently made him the subject of ridicule among the City players. He's scored a few goals lately and specifically a rake of goals against a gutless rabble. Big deal...for that transfer fee he should be performing.
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    I dont know why but I actually dont think he is a troll just possibly not very bright but I know from the liverpool page the most iritating/stupid troll like comment can come from your own supporters we had the same with fink godie and ardent whi were both suppose to be liverpool fans

Not very bright? Your post betrays an astonishing lack of self awareness. Since when are "trolling" and holding strong views which you're happy to back up the same thing?
    miralize wrote: »
    Are you just jealous because he can grow hair on his face , and you haven't quite reached that stage yet?

Seriously, the naivety & short-sightedness of some of your posts are ludicrous. In a Sean Bateman world, there would be no youth teams/players, people would be judged from birth wether they were born to play soccer or not, and no one would ever make a mistake.. ever. Get a f*cking grip

De Gea's been utterly sh1te so far and I stand by my view that he's absolutely the wrong guy for us. His performances for us so far support my view 100%. As for Danny Wellbeck, you'd swear I'd shot Bambi with my comments. He's 22 so he's no spring chicken and unlikely to improve to the level of a £30 million forward. I said that I don't see him as a first choice player at United long term. Frankly, disagreeing with me in relation to this point is idiotic and I contend that anyone doing so knows nothing about the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

De Gea's been utterly sh1te so far and I stand by my view that he's absolutely the wrong guy for us. His performances for us so far support my view 100%. As for Danny Wellbeck, you'd swear I'd shot Bambi with my comments. He's 22 so he's no spring chicken and unlikely to improve to the level of a £30 million forward. I said that I don't see him as a first choice player at United long term. Frankly, disagreeing with me in relation to this point is idiotic and I contend that anyone doing so knows nothing about the game.

Danny Welbeck is 20 actually. He has about 4 years to reach his peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yep, still a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

if hargreaves is deemed fit enough to pass his medical, why the hell did we let him go???

this has been bugging me all summer, even more so now. no ill feeling towards him or city, just our policy to get rid of a player who offered to play for free to repay the faith in him.

I think SAF just decided that it was too late for him. He's 30 years of age and even if he's fit now, the likelihood he'll play any significant amount of games this season is small, imo. Him going to City has surprised everyone but this couldnt be forseen and if he'd joined any other club no one would be blinking an eye.

This year is a transition year for us and SAF is putting his trust in young players like Cleverley in CM. Carrick has been noticeable in his absence thus far. Some comments from Rooney this morning that I found interesting:
    We play a different way now, putting a lot more pressure on the opposing team and playing with a lot more energy and pace.
    "Ashley Young is a confident lad and has settled in really well. The younger players [like Tom Cleverley and Danny Welbeck] do a bit more running as well and obviously that helps me.
    “The manager has put his faith in a lot of young players. Players who have gone out on loan have come back much better players, not just in terms of their ability but tactically too. They have been brilliant for us.

Seems there is a conscious decision to speed up performance in general and really go at teams from the off. While midfield has looked a bit light defensively, it's well capable of dealing with most PL teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Well pointed out Mars, but can people please stop quoting if they are answering it really does render the ignore function useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its all well and good playing with this attidude and that attitude. however, injuries will happen and things will change.

i would rather have a fully fit hargreaves to call on than putting gibson or park in the middle. its called having options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

herp derp

owenclap.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Exactly, I will just end up putting perfectly reasonable posters on ignore too :P

mars bar wrote: »

Players do not reach their peak at 24.

We have had a spate of wonderkid youngsters in the last few years that has completely deluded people about other young player's development - namely Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney & Fabregas (probably a few more to go with them).

Can anybody tell me where Xavi was at 26 years of age?

He was sitting on the bench in the Champions League final.

22, no spring chicken? Fuck off and die :rolleyes:

VW 1 wrote: »
    Well pointed out Mars, but can people please stop quoting if they are answering it really does render the ignore function useless.

Apologies but being honest, I tried the ignore function thing too and it is pointless. Too many people join this forum and dive straight in and quote.

Your mission will be fruitless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

More like 5/6 maybe even 7 years .

keane2097 wrote: »

We have had a spate of wonderkid youngsters in the last few years that has completely deluded people about other young player's development - namely Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney & Fabregas (probably a few more to go with them).

24 is just the benchmark I was putting out there.

I agree with ya although I wouldn't have gone about saying it in such an aggressive manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I lauded Fergie back in 1995 becuase they were obviously class players. And I also identified that other young players like John O'Kane, David Twiss etc weren't.

He's playing well lately but I've laways viewed as unreliable and inconsistent. More of the same required.

Dzeko's relatively poor touch and technique apparently made him the subject of ridicule among the City players. He's scored a few goals lately and specifically a rake of goals against a gutless rabble. Big deal...for that transfer fee he should be performing.

Not very bright? Your post betrays an astonishing lack of self awareness. Since when are "trolling" and holding strong views which you're happy to back up the same thing?

Who is David Twiss? Sure you do not mean Michael?

Mmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Sean, do you reckon De Gea would eventually improve if he was given a long run in the team? Just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

if hargreaves is deemed fit enough to pass his medical, why the hell did we let him go???

this has been bugging me all summer, even more so now. no ill feeling towards him or city, just our policy to get rid of a player who offered to play for free to repay the faith in him.
    Blatter wrote: »
    I'm not sure of the answer to that, but maybe the fact he played 4 minutes in 3 years for us had something to do with it?

Ed, I'd say there's a massive difference between a medical and a game.
    A medical you do the medical tests and then the pitch work but you know how you have to run, turn, balance etc, in a game its a lot more fluid than that.

But i really really am sorry to see him go, quality player

24 is just the benchmark I was putting out there.

I agree with ya although I wouldn't have gone about saying it in such an aggressive manner.

I'm trying to get banned :p

I'm trying to get banned :p

:pac:

If there was any time to get banned, it was three months ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Xavi tore knee ligaments in the 05/06 season, thats why he was on the bench in the final.

If there was any time to get banned, it was three months ago!

I'm a masochist.

Obv the vitriol in the previous post wasn't directed at your good self.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Xavi tore knee ligaments in the 05/06 season, thats why he was on the bench in the final.

Iniesta was also on the bench, guess what age he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Apologies but being honest, I tried the ignore function thing too and it is pointless. Too many people join this forum and dive straight in and quote.

Your mission will be fruitless!

Alas Mars I fear you speak the truth in this.

Fletcher another example of a later bloomer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I've my own theories about Mr.Bateman, the main one being, he's delirious with de Gea fever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

It's been annoying me all summer too. I can't see why we didn't give him a pay as you play deal. There'd have been zero risk for the club and it'd have given the lad one last chance. Hargreaves going to City hurts me alot more than Tevez going there for some reason although i wish him all the best and hope that he starts playing again. The sight of him making his comeback last season yet to walk off the pitch after 4 minutes was one of the most heartbreaking moments i've ever seen in football.

Iniesta was also on the bench, guess what age he was.

20 ?

its all well and good playing with this attidude and that attitude. however, injuries will happen and things will change.

i would rather have a fully fit hargreaves to call on than putting gibson or park in the middle. its called having options.

I agree with your first point and I think we should have signed a CM, but I just don't think Hargreaves will be able to stay fit and make any meaningful contribution this season.

• Advertisement

20 ?

22 obv - no spring chicken like! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Look i think we all have to just leave Master Bateman to it! He is not going to change his mind on DDG and nothing any one can say that will stop everything just going around in circles! just leave him to his opinion - and bates please stop goading people too. I love this thread but man it's been a chore to read recently! Best start to the league in YEARS - taking apart an (admittedly very sub par) arsenal team, playing great football and the future looks bright - please can we try concentrate on that!! :)

I'm really tired of this whole sneijder saga now and the sooner 11pm comes the better!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I thought a players peak was typically around the 27 - 32 age bracket?

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

I suppose it depends on their position. I would consider a goalkeeper to take much longer to sculpt their art.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

I would agree with that but it depends on the style of player. It depends on whether or not their game is dependent on pace or guile, it depends on what position too - IMO a CB doesnt reach their peak until at least 30. Strikers maybe between 27 and 30, midfielders are similar too.

Goalkeepers are anyones guess really - VDS -peaked at probably 36 for example whereas Casillas has been incredible since 20 (like our very own DDG :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hes finally here

4pto47.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

^^
    Thats fcukin terrifying

Nice pic from Sunday....does that guy front right with the United jersey look a bit like Fletcher? No? :pac:

AYLfNViCQAER4Q8.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Saw a rumour earlier that Jesse Lingard is heading to Carlisle on loan. Any confirmation of this?

If true, LG will be gutted. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fergie doesn't like injury ridden players. Did the same thing with Saha if you remember. What annoys me about Hargreaves though is that we haven't actually gotten someone to replace him, it's not like we needed his place in the squad. But that's more frustration at no central midfield signings than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

As much as I love Hargo, I think the last thing in the world I'd want to do is turn to him to cover injuries. At least Gibson is more likely to play 4 or 5 games without adding to the crisis.
    I know you said you'd rather have a fully fit Hargreaves but it's a bit like me saying I'd rather have a 22 year old Roy Keane. Doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Its pretty likely that there was a stipulation in the Hargreaves transfer that if his contract was renewed or extended or whatever it would trigger another payment to Bayern or possibly a loyalty bonus to the player himself. Obviously what ever it was wasn't worth the gamble and they decided to let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Has a player ever missed that much football at the peak of his career and returned to any sort of form, I can't think of any off the top of my head, hes been out for pretty much 3 years.

bullvine wrote: »
    Has a player ever missed that much football at the peak of his career and returned to any sort of form, I can't think of any off the top of my head, hes been out for pretty much 3 years.

Woodgate is doing a fine job at stoke at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Least from now on we can talk about results and performances on the pitch and not have to worry about who we are buying.

I be first to admit I was expecting least one, if not two signings over the summer for midfield, but I am happy to give Cleverly and Anderson a chance and take gamble.

Also I will be 105quid richer tonight too hopefull thanks to SkyBet:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

its early days yet for woodgate, hes only played a couple of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Least from now on we can talk about results and performances on the pitch and not have to worry about who we are buying.

Premature much? Of all days there is going to be transfer speculation in here today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

My advice: spend today in a cave, come out tomorrow when it's safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pro. F wrote: »
    Premature much? Of all days there is going to be transfer speculation in here today.

Go ahead so, who will we talk about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Woodgate is doing a fine job at stoke at the moment.

Lol 3 games in, however the standard of football Woodgate is playing is very impressive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement