Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

oh oh,

someone just got grammar served - ITS ON!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

"Your" = owned by you

"You're" = an abbreviation for "you are"

Better to keep your mouth shut nicklauski and have people think that you're a fool rather than proving that you're a fool by opening it.
    are kids back school tomorrow?:p

well we found our english teacher;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Just saw that Mereiles has put in a transfer request, I'd love a sneaky bid for him. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

"Your" = owned by you

Better to keep your mouth shut nicklauski and have people think that you're a fool rather than proving that you're a fool by opening it.

Should have stuck to that yourself a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

SK1979 wrote: »
    Just saw that Mereiles has put in a transfer request, I'd love a sneaky bid for him. :)

Would be nice, but Yahoo! (EuroSport) reckons it's for Chelsea.
    Liverpool midfielder Raul Meireles has handed in a written transfer request, fuelling speculation he was set for a last-gasp move to Chelsea.
    In an echo of Fernando Torres' January switch to Stamford Bridge, Meireles declared his desire to leave Anfield with the transfer window set to draw to a close.
    Chelsea reportedly had a bid rejected for Meireles on Tuesday but, having seemingly missed out on Tottenham's Luka Modric, they may well have met Liverpool's asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Just thinking the same when I heard it on SSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

"Your" = owned by you

Grammar.gif

Go on take it... You've earned it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    sneijder101010 Wesley Sneijder
    I respect all the Man Utd fans, who supported me the whole transfer window! I'm a winner and I will make you Interisti proud this season!!!!

A funny old tweet from WS....

why the hell didnt he just say this a few weeks ago? makes no sense he would only do this today, unless he was thinking something could happen right up until today..

i guess it may come out some time in the future as to what really happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

TheTownie wrote: »

Go on take it... You've earned it !
    Well done on the grammer there :)

mars bar wrote: »
    This thread closes at 12 tonight for the new monthly superthread doesn't it?

I hope to **** it is coz it's a shambles.

until people stop feeding the trolls, every thread this year will be the same. i have a simple policy, i will respond to somebody once and if the debate is good, i will engage in it. if its just childish and appears to be obvious trolling, then its the ignore list. but when people cant stop quoting certain posters, its impossible to ignore it.

ive asked about 10 times now for it to stop, as have others. its like stealing candy from a baby for some people, really is so easy to wind them up...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I am one of those who thinks that it is bleeding obvious that Utd are weak in central midfield, that fact that people have to trot out the names of three wingers to try and pretend there is depth there tells its own story. But what surprises me about this transfer window is not that we didnt sign Snieieinejder, but that we didn't take a punt on Scott Parker, Joey Barton, or, now that it appears he is available, Mikel Arteta.

Either of those three players would improve our midfield while both costing not a lot and without stifling the development of any of the young players. It should have been win win all round, yet we didn't even make a bid for one of them. I can't understand it.

I intend to bookmark this page, because I am 100% certain that come the business end of the season, our lack of quality in center midfield will have cost us in terms of trophies. It is not good enough, and it is a mistake plain and simple to have not strengthened in this area.

Another I told you so merchant:(

Why would United want, Arteta, Parker or Barton?

We have experienced midfield players that have won multiple Premier League titles.

Why would we sign players with no record of success and play them ahead of Young players with the potential to be far better or experienced players with kit bags full of medals?

Anyone would think Carrick, Fletcher and Giggs were ****. They are far from it. Big deal United lost to barca twice, that doesn't make Arteta, Parker or Barton better.

why the hell didnt he just say this a few weeks ago? makes no sense he would only do this today, unless he was thinking something could happen right up until today..

I would say thats what it was. Its probably like SAF said ages ago when he talked about clubs not wanting to offend players by denying interest, or then offend clubs by confirming interest etc. Players have to be diplomatic too. I'd say the strongest factor was Inter wanted shot of his wages but no club (inc us) was prepared to meet them. Fair enough. No deal.

To be fair to the guy, he's conducted himself really well during the whole summer, a top professional I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He's either been trolling us or was actually just keeping his options open right up until the last day.

It would probably be the latter, if he was trolling us he'd be leaving Inter fans in limbo at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

while I'm fully aware it would never be allowed by the powers at Anfield, Meireles would be a great signing for United, have always been a big admirer of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

are kids back school tomorrow?:p

I was back Monday.:(

until people stop feeding the trolls, every thread this year will be the same. i have a simple policy, i will respond to somebody once and if the debate is good, i will engage in it. if its just childish and appears to be obvious trolling, then its the ignore list. but when people cant stop quoting certain posters, its impossible to ignore it.

ive asked about 10 times now for it to stop, as have others. its like stealing candy from a baby for some people, really is so easy to wind them up...

Some stuff is so looney though its hard not to respond!

I will go along with the idea of respond once, if the next post is childish I will just let it go.

#joinhomerjayspolicy

least i am 105quid richer in 6 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

This thread is gone to **** the last while.there has been WUM's and trolls on here before but when they are ignored they will disappear.not worth reading this thread anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

If it was this time last week, you could have bought a Touchpad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

a bit of perspective lad, we were very poor against west brom and won 2-1 with an OG. we had how many shots on target?
    spurs were shown up as being shocking by City last Sunday.
    Arsenal were the worst team to visit Old trafford in years.

We were not very poor against West Brom. It's ludicrous to claim that we were. We dominated the ball for most of the game and we put some good passing moves together. They were extremely well organised and very tough to break down. We played well that day and we won.

We played well against Spurs too. Just because we didn't annihilate them like City did is no reason to worry. We played well and we won. We've also beaten City recently lets not forget.

Arsenal were terrible and we trounced them. Also playing some lovely football.

Sure there are some concerns about the CM just now. I've been saying that we should sign a good all round CM type like Fellaini, and it probably is a missed opportunity that we haven't got somebody in. But trying to pretend that we have been playing anything other than very well and predicting a meltdown is a joke.

I've probably criticised our central midfield for longer than anybody, but with Cleverly replacing Scholes and Fergie showing some faith in Anderson and the style of the performances that we've put in recently it's clear that we have actually improved in that department since last year. When Fletcher comes back we have a chance of sorting the balance in a 442 (trying out Fletcher and Ando or Fletcher and Cleverly) or going to a 451 in big games and still avoiding putting in Carrick (who should never be first choice). Things aren't perfect, but for the first time in ages there are actually some glimmers of hope there.

What bets did you put on again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I wouldnt of mind Arteta at utd

Would of been a great buy, good business by Arsenal

DM-ICE wrote: »
    What bets did you put on again?

7/2 Sneijder to stay at Inter with Skybet...

pretty sure few of us did it

had 30euro on it..

i did want him to come just price seemed big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Oh ffs,

We need a mod, stat. Easiest thing to do is report the posts and not even engage in, or raise the issue and carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Anyone expecting Flah to come wandering back in the next few minutes? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Headshot wrote: »
    I wouldnt of mind Arteta at utd

Would of been a great buy, good business by Arsenal

He could have been the physio's replacement for hargreaves:D

Sneijder talk and rumours

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

RIP

Gone but not forgotten!

Luvz u bbz mwah xxx

RIP

Sneijder talk is not over.

Wait for the first loss/draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

So Mario Goetze...

• Advertisement

Sneijder talk is not over.

Wait for the first loss/draw.

negativity tut tut;)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

eugeneious wrote: »
    So Mario Goetze...
    thats for the summer 2012.

yabadabado wrote: »
    there has been WUM's and trolls on here before but when they are ignored they will disappear.not worth reading this thread anymore.

nutshell, nail, head, hammer and all those cliches....

i blame the people who keep reacting, not the trolls. people get a kick out of winding people up, and when its so easy, well, its just so easy to keep going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Another I told you so merchant:(

Why would United want, Arteta, Parker or Barton?

We have experienced midfield players that have won multiple Premier League titles.

Why would we sign players with no record of success and play them ahead of Young players with the potential to be far better or experienced players with kit bags full of medals?

Anyone would think Carrick, Fletcher and Giggs were ****. They are far from it. Big deal United lost to barca twice, that doesn't make Arteta, Parker or Barton better.

Another "everything is rosy" head in the sand merchant.

Because Carrick is so bad technically that he looks like an amateur when he's hounded and denied time and space.

Because Giggs is 37 and probably destroyed mentally after his public humilation during the summer.

Because Fletcher despite all his obvious gifts is pretty much just a dog of war and isn't particularly creative.

Why is it that ANYONE who suggest anything that they feel might help or improve the team that they love is lampooned by the same clowns? It's the regular clowns in this thread that seem to know zero about the game.

I'd be happy to see us sign any of those midfielders mentioned. You'd swear that he was suggesting that we sign Titus F..king Bramble.

Never make a constructive suggestion when the clowns are around...well actually do because their ignorant put downs are pretty funny.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    thats for the summer 2012.

Yeh, next summer is going to be even worse than this one. Euro Championships etc. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Pro. F wrote: »
    We were not very poor against West Brom. It's ludicrous to claim that we were. We dominated the ball for most of the game and we put some good passing moves together. They were extremely well organised and very tough to break down. We played well that day and we won.

We played well against Spurs too. Just because we didn't annihilate them like City did is no reason to worry. We played well and we won. We've also beaten City recently lets not forget.

Sure there are some concerns about the CM just now. I've been saying that we should sign a good all round CM type like Fellaini, and it probably is a missed opportunity that we haven't got somebody in. But trying to pretend that we have been playing anything other than very well and predicting a meltdown is a joke.

I've probably criticised our central midfield for longer than anybody, but with Cleverly replacing Scholes and Fergie showing some faith in Anderson and the style of the performances that we've put in recently it's clear that we have actually improved in that department since last year. When Fletcher comes back we have a chance of sorting the balance in a 442 (trying out Fletcher and Ando or Fletcher and Cleverly) or going to a 451 in big games and still avoiding putting in Carrick (who should never be first choice). Things aren't perfect, but for the first time in ages there are actually some glimmers of hope there.

In fairness it's kinda a different city team now with aguero and nasri they're a lot more positive now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Because Giggs is 37 and probably destroyed mentally after his public humilation during the summer.

Rubbish. He'll be fine. In the lads culture of football he'll probally be getting pats on the back.

Rooney gets called Granny shagger from the stands and after his private life hit the papers he's been in the form of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Yeh, next summer is going to be even worse than this one. Euro Championships etc. :o
    just as bad as last year with ozil, benzema, ribery, etc

Pro. F wrote: »

Hi Pro F

We shouldn't get carried away.

We were very lucky to win the West Brom game and both Spurs and Arsenal were a disgrace against us. Neither tried a leg.

Anderson's United career has been characterised by unreliability and Cleverley's virtually unproven. Carrick's really poor technique has repeatedly been exposed against better opposition and Fletcher although honest as the day is long is limited in what he can do. Giggs is too old to be relied upon regularly and who knows how scarred he's gonna be after his summer humiliation.

It's just not credible to suggest that we don't need midfielders. We need a first team first choice creative guy and a good squad guy too. Not signing someone of Scott Parker's calibre is a mistake and not moving heaven and Earth (assuming they didn't) to get Modric/Sneijder/Schweinsteiger may prove costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Giggs is too old to be relied upon regularly and who knows how scarred he's gonna be after his summer humiliation.

That was before the summer. Remember there was all the talk the final day of the season that his wife joined him on the pitch so they had appeared to work things out.

• Advertisement

Rubbish. He'll be fine. In the lads culture of football he'll probally be getting pats on the back.

Rooney gets called Granny shagger from the stands and after his private life hit the papers he's been in the form of his life.

Why is it rubbish?

Rooney's horrendous form during the last World Cup and subsequently for United coincided with his most recent transgression.

And look at Tiger Woods? The greatest golfer in the world in a game where there's more riding going on behind the scenes than people realise.

Giggs has been humilated and his legacy has been forever tarnished. Not for me...I'll always love the guy. But he was a model to step into the Bobby Charlton role and perhaps to be the football's next knight. That has to be all gone up in smoke now. There's no way Giggs could be knighted now...he's a Lester Piggott job. In my view Giggs will really struggle to recover from his public humiliation (and time isn't exactly on his side).

No Premier League Macheda loan?

He will probably end up in the Championship so.

mars bar wrote: »
    That was before the summer. Remember there was all the talk the final day of the season that his wife joined him on the pitch so they had appeared to work things out.

Summer's May, June and July and from memory the sister-in-law/Rhodri sh1te broke during June.

I'm one of the guy's biggest fans but he has been utterly humiliated and his legacy from a football perspective has been tarnished. That's gotta be tough mentally for him to deal with and to claim that it's not gonna affect him at all is pretty ludicrous. Just look at Tiger Woods as an example of the effect public humilation can have on someone who was previously master of all he surveyed professionally.

Anyway, it's just common sense not to be relying on a 37 year old guy (irrespective of whether he's past it mentally or physically or not).

lets put our summer activity in perspective then, since january we have brought in 3 players plus 2 young lads returning off loan, one of them already facing 4-6 weeks on the sideline. a total of about £50million, one a goal keeper to replace the best keeper IMO in our history.

liverpool, chelsea, city spend almost €400million between them in that time frame to try catch us. they sign 17 good players between them.

all 3 teams will be stronger this year, especially liverpool. city also. money doesnt buy you success and we have the experience and fergie factor, but while our squad will get us so far over the season, i am worried what will happen when we play these 3 teams, especially away from home. last season we got one point from them 3 games. they have better options in midfield than we do. take out 1, even 2 players from each CM and put them against us, what have we left, especially considering we normally play 4-5-1 away from home in alot of big games (though seemed to change towards end of this year)?

im sorry to be all doom and gloomy, im normally the opposite and get accused of too much loyalty to united by most people, but i think the love fest at the moment re our new approach is too much.

i sincerly hope im wrong of course, but i knew deep down we would not beat barcelona this year, i knew we wouldnt win the league in 09/10 and im very very worried about this year now. we didnt have a good transfer compared to the other top clubs and i fear it could cost us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

No Premier League Macheda loan?

He will probably end up in the Championship so.

Better quality than Serie A maybe! The Championship is easily in the top ten in Europe, maybe even top 5! The PL and Spain are probably the top 2, then Germany, Italy, France, Holland, Russia I guess, but I think Championship is around the level of the top league in the last few I think.

Homerjay, did you want another 50 million spent or have the 50 million United did spend, spent on different players?

I don't think United had another 50 million to spend.

In an ideal world United would have bought a midfielder or two. But we have what we have and overall I think its an improvement on what we started last season with.

Obviously Central midfield wasn't improved, but I think the overall team/squad has improved. I also think there is more potential for further improvement in the squad than when we started last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Macheda could do well in Championship, the way Arsenal are goin, we'll be able to get Wilshere next summer :D

Good post homerjay.

No doubt you'll be attacked, told to trust Fergie and advised that your view means f..k all.

But that's the way the clowns work.

It's a complete joke that we haven't signed midfielders.

For all Fergie's spoofing about a plan to deal with Barca in May it was like 2009 all over again. Our midfield was destroyed and humilated. Nothing's been done to address that and now Scholesy's gone and Hargreaves is dead...we've added nobody. That is utterly ridiculous.

But the clowns will claim "what about Pogba?" Who gives a flying f..k about Pogba RIGHT NOW. By all means he's a good prospect and could be the one for the future. But what about now? Success now and success down the line shouldn't be an either or. We need a top class midfield right now to slay the Barca and City dragons. Just like we need a world class goalkeeper right now, not a callow error prone youth.

The clowns also love citing Fergie's Fledglings of 95/96 and Alan Hansen's infamous comment re kids. There's a slight difference fellas...the class of 95/96 despite their obvious brilliance had to overcome Keegan's ridiculous Newcastle and Roy Evan's spice boys. We've Abu F..king Dhabi on our back door and one of the greatest teams in history down in Catalonia. We need world class players now, not down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Why is it that ANYONE who suggest anything that they feel might help or improve the team that they love is lampooned by the same clowns? It's the regular clowns in this thread that seem to know zero about the game.

It's not ANYONE Sean. It is only YOU that gets a pasting and that only happens because you post such idiotic shíte.

Plenty of your points are reasonable enough, but you make them with extreme added hyperbole, clichés and ridiculous amounts of repetition. If your posting style was more sensible then you wouldn't be so hated around here.
    We shouldn't get carried away.

We were very lucky to win the West Brom game and both Spurs and Arsenal were a disgrace against us. Neither tried a leg.

Anderson's United career has been characterised by unreliability and Cleverley's virtually unproven. Carrick's really poor technique has repeatedly been exposed against better opposition and Fletcher although honest as the day is long is limited in what he can do. Giggs is too old to be relied upon regularly and who knows how scarred he's gonna be after his summer humiliation.

It's just not credible to suggest that we don't need midfielders. We need a first team first choice creative guy and a good squad guy too. Not signing someone of Scott Parker's calibre is a mistake and not moving heaven and Earth (assuming they didn't) to get Modric/Sneijder/Schweinsteiger may prove costly.

We were not very lucky against West Brom. We thoroughly deserved to win that game. Spurs were not a disgrace, they were compact and organised enough against us and we beat them easy enough. Arsenal were shocking, I agree, but at least we scored eight goals and played some lovely football.

I wouldn't have wasted even a few million on Parker. He is an extremely overrated player.

For the response to the rest of your post just refer back to the post you quoted. I don't agree with you and I've explained it all.
    In fairness it's kinda a different city team now with aguero and nasri they're a lot more positive now

True. And it was only a semi competitive game. Still the result isn't totally meaningless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Overall I feel the squad has improved in most areas but is again going to be shown up in central midfield over the course of the season on the big occasions, time will tell whether we can use the combinations available to gather enough points to secure our 20th league title

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement