Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I still think we'll win the league. Just because most of the teams are **** enough that even without a central midfield, we can still win it. We need Fletcher back to some form and Carrick to be his average best, but we should have enough to get true. I think that even if Rooney gets injured, very happy that Berbatov has stayed.

I however think that the only way we'll win the CL is if Anderson continues to improve and stays fit the entire season, and Fletcher returns to fitness and form, and both of them play in every single CL game.

Ultimately, I think Fergie's failure to sign a central midfielder for the past three years is up there with his series of awful signings post 2002.

Let's hope he's a brilliant enough man manager and tactician to overcome his failure in the transfer market again this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Oh, and also, anyone peddling this lets put our faith in kids line. I think youth development is fantastic. Welbeck is the perfect example of how to do it. Have a very strong squad, like say Rooney, Berbatov and Owen, and put him in the mix. If he performs, he gets game time, which he has.

The way to develop youth is not to fill the gaps in your squad, hoping beyond hope that nobody gets injured. We are criminally weak in central midfield to the extent that I fully expect to see Gibson play 10 games this season.

Fletcher is the only ball winner we have in midfield. None of the rest can put in a decent tackle. I know people come back with Carrick is great at intercepting, well that's all well and good, but some teams, like the best in the world, don't have that many stray passes, you actually need to win the ball back the old fashioned way.

If Fletcher can't find fitness and form this season, we're in real trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PHB wrote: »
    Ultimately, I think Fergie's failure to sign a central midfielder for the past three years is up there with his series of awful signings post 2002.

I'd say the 2 years before this one as I really can't see any viable signings that could have been made this summer, I've asked this recently...none of the guys that were saying we're doomed because of CM problem could/would answer though...

Who was out there this summer that wanted to join us or was up for sale at a price that Fergie would pay that would really add to our team?

Com'on, compairing it to 02 is a bit much... :D

and in 09/10 & 10/11 we had Scholes so the issue wasn't as bad... I think Fergie just got unlucky this summer (granted planning for Scholes' retirement could have involved getting a world class player in back then to fit into the team before he retired)

And I think it was start of 03/04 when we got DD, Bellion and Kleberson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I still would have liked either Parker or Adam :( Really like those two, but ah well.

I just hope we dont get any bad injuries to the centre mids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'm personally delighted the club didn't go near Adam and I think Parker is overrated by alot on here. When Fletcher is fit he is better than Scott Parker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm personally delighted the club didn't go near Adam and I think Parker is overrated by alot on here. When Fletcher is fit he is better than Scott Parker.
    I think he will do brilliantly at Liverpool.

Think Parker is overrated myself (english factor again) I'd prefer to give the younger lads a chance rather than him.

It seems like Adam was always going to Liverpool...he's decent but he's Liverpool so he wouldn't get in our team ;)

Out of everyone that moved (at reasonable prices) this summer I'd prob opt for Palacios as long as he could re-discover some of his Wigan form, thought he was unlucky at Spurs and could be a great signing. Can remember thinking he could have been a great signing for us when Spurs got him... he may have been off form/not playing reg for too many years now though

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I think he will do brilliantly at Liverpool.

I think he's a top 6 player, at best. I was delighted when he went to Liverpool, as it meant it was impossible he signed for us.

We'll see how he goes with Liverpool over the season. I personally think he will be found out, and found out big time. He'll be nothing more than a decent squad player. Meireles is twice the player IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

they both wont play 50+ games this year...thats my worry. they will, especially anderson, get injured...

Yeah I agree that we are still short in that department (although I think Anderson's injury proneness is exaggerated). If we had got in a quality player we could have improved our first team for when we play three central midfielders and we could have improved the depth of quality we have to call on when the injuries hit.

What I disagree with is the idea that we haven't been playing well and that we are anywhere near a meltdown. IMO unless we are horrendously unlucky, the worst that will happen will be that we are back to where we were last season and you, and many others, were happy enough with that at the time.
    ajcurry123 wrote: »
    I'd say the 2 years before this one as I really can't see any viable signings that could have been made this summer, I've asked this recently...none of the guys that were saying we're doomed because of CM problem could/would answer though...

Who was out there this summer that wanted to join us or was up for sale at a price that Fergie would pay that would really add to our team?

This has been discussed before, but here it is again:

Personally I would suggest Fellaini, Vidal and Joao Moutinho. Any of them would have improved our options and they were all getable this summer. Arteta is injury prone but he still would have been a useful addition since he was available for so little. All those suggestions are just coming from me and I don't have a professional scouting network to call upon.

To paraphrase Keane2097, if you are saying there was nobody available who could improve our options in central midfield then there is something seriously wrong with your scouting.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yeah I agree that we are still short in that department (although I think Anderson's injury proneness is exaggerated). If we had got in a quality player we could have improved our first team for when we play three central midfielders and we could have improved the depth of quality we have to call on when the injuries hit.

What I disagree with is the idea that we haven't been playing well and that we are anywhere near a meltdown. IMO unless we are horrendously unlucky, the worst that will happen will be that we are back to where we were last season and you, and many others, were happy enough with that at the time.

This has been discussed before, but here it is again:

Personally I would suggest Fellaini, Vidal and Joao Moutinho. Any of them would have improved our options and they were all getable this summer. Arteta is injury prone but he still would have been a useful addition since he was available for so little. All those suggestions are just coming from me and I don't have a professional scouting network to call upon.

To paraphrase Keane2097, if you are saying there was nobody available who could improve our options in central midfield then there is something seriously wrong with your scouting.

If he signed me he'd improve his options in CM :D
    I won't get petty about this, I was just frustrated with a lot of people acting like it was the end of the world not getting a CMer.
    Yes it would have been a plus, but there's enough cover there to get through the season. (as you say above...we'd be in or around the same as last year)
    I'd prefer for Fergie to hold out and get a world class (over-used phrase I know...A real quality player... whatever) in Jan or next summer.

I haven't seen much of Vidal, the other two I've seen and I'd say they'd be squad players...they would prob be better squad players than Gibson but I really don't mind having him play his 10 or so games a year. In lesser games we'd get by alright, also the other two guys mightn't be the happiest campers being squad players.. If we had to play Gibbo in a big game (you'd need an awful bad run of injuries for that) we'd obv be weak, but I don't think the other 2 wouldn't make a hell of a difference.

I'm relatively new to this forum so apologies about it being discussed before.

If he signed me he'd improve his options in CM :D
    I won't get petty about this, I was just frustrated with a lot of people acting like it was the end of the world not getting a CMer.
    Yes it would have been a plus, but there's enough cover there to get through the season. (as you say above...we'd be in or around the same as last year)
    I'd prefer for Fergie to hold out and get a world class (over-used phrase I know...A real quality player... whatever) in Jan or next summer.

I haven't seen much of Vidal, the other two I've seen and I'd say they'd be squad players...they would prob be better squad players than Gibson but I really don't mind having him play his 10 or so games a year. In lesser games we'd get by alright, also the other two guys mightn't be the happiest campers being squad players.. If we had to play Gibbo in a big game (you'd need an awful bad run of injuries for that) we'd obv be weak, but I don't think the other 2 wouldn't make a hell of a difference.

I'm relatively new to this forum so apologies about it being discussed before.

You're seriously underrating them if you think they would be squad players imo.

On another point, just to be clear, I'm not saying that I think we are the same as last year in CM. I think we are much better than last year. If we get some injuries then I think we will be back to the same as last year.

OK, one last time. These are small... but the ones out there are far away :D
    Prob was an attempt at humour

Can't say CM is better myself this year. I'd say similar if things continue like the start ...they've had a great start but Scholes gone is going to be a big loss at business end of season

OK, one last time. These are small... but the ones out there are far away :D

Prob was an attempt at humour

Yeah sorry, didn't see the strike-through at first :). Edited now.
    The new signings and young lads look good, but I think they only make up for VDS and Scholes gone so I'd say we are about the same myself.
    Playing a nice type of football though but it's early days yet and I'm trying not to get carried away. So it's a similar squad from me until I see a bit more
    The nice football means we are better off imo. That's because I think possession football is effective football. But I can understand your caution in wanting to see it proven - presumably against tougher opponents. At least you won't have long to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Ashley Young v Arsenal. I liked this video. It's a nice way to look back at a game. :)

The future's bright. The future's red!
    f3fec9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

the youth policy took about 4 years to come good. if city win the league this year, do you think its acceptable we wait another 4 years like we did when chelsea came along. the players we waited on then were rooney and ronaldo, 2 players of a special breed, 2 in a million players. and cleverly and welbeck in that category??

If it means winning 4 leagues in 5 seasons again, then hell yeah. No club has a divine right to win trophies every year. That United nearly always pick up something under Ferguson is amazing.

Anyway, the youth policy is much more advanced now than back then. Plus Rooney has not gone anywhere. Hopefully some of these young players at the club follow through and turn out to be as accomplished as they currently seem. United not winning the league for one single season is not the sky (blue) falling in. It happens. Might not happen this season though.

Signing or not signing a midfielder is not going to change the fact that City are on the rise. It is similar to Chelsea a few years ago. United just have to keep doing what they are doing and hope they are still standing at the end.

P.S: Chelsea haven't gone anywhere either you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I can see us going for Fellaini in January maybe, he's in the last year of his contract isn't he? Can't imagine him wanting to stay at Everton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Is there a set time for when the new financial figures will be released today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wouldn't it be great if we found out today we are debt free...

Wishful thinking and little bit of divine intervention involved I know.

Will be interesting..

Not sure of release time myself

• Advertisement

I can see us going for Fellaini in January maybe, he's in the last year of his contract isn't he? Can't imagine him wanting to stay at
    Everton!

There will definitely be a few clubs monitoring him. He'd won't be at Everton much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wouldn't it be great if we found out today we are debt free...

Wishful thinking and little bit of divine intervention involved I know.

Will be interesting..

Not sure of release time myself
    as was said yesterday, I don't think today will be all that interesting from a financial perspective - we know there will be high operating profits and commercial revenue. I don't think there is an expectation that the accounts will reveal anything unexpected (from a supporter/analyst point of view) or that the accounts will answer any questions regarding what happened to the PIKs.

It will be, imo, the least 'interesting' set of financial results released by United in a long time. it is the IPO prospectus that I, and I think many others, are waiting for - that is the next big document from a Financials/Debt perspective.

I'd be very surprised, at the moment, if United made any midfield move in January - the vast majority of players are going to be CL cup tied, which will rule United out. A player such as De Rossi could be a target but if United have not shown any real interest before now, I highly doubt we will do anything in January, or ever, for him. Sneijder is done and dusted at this point - it was this summer or never imo.

I reckon next summer we will probably get involved in the chase for Kawaga, Goetez (Sp) Hazaard, M'Vila etc - one of the younger generation of midfielders, but then again Fergie doesn't seem to see midfield as an actual issue so we'll probably just give Giggs another contract and call it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Blatter wrote: »
    I think he's a top 6 player, at best. I was delighted when he went to Liverpool, as it meant it was impossible he signed for us.

We'll see how he goes with Liverpool over the season. I personally think he will be found out, and found out big time. He'll be nothing more than a decent squad player. Meireles is twice the player IMO.

have to say i was a bit apprehensive about adam signing and had some serious concerns about his fitness/abilty to move round the pitch and taught he would need to be the am of a 3 man midfield to work.

But i have been pleasently suprised he is flying atm and playing as a proper cm that is dictating the pace of games he is even winning tacles and tracking back, something I didnt think he was capable of.

At 7mil he is looking like he could turn out to be a bargain and if roles were reversed and he had of went to utd i wreckon you lot would be raving about him right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

goal scoring predictions for this year? all comps.

rooney 28
    welbeck - 12
    hernandez - 14
    berba - 11
    young - 11

Wouldnt be surprised to see Chico and Young get 5+ more than those...especially Young. I think he's gonna be a massive player for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Just noticed Pjanic gone to Roma for
    8.5mill.
    Always felt he would fit in nicely at United,tidy player in possession and an eye for goal,always seems to excel in European games and still only 21.
    But sure there's obviously no value in the market again......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Back from holidays and boy did I have some catching up to do. 11 goals :eek: and 2 wins. Andersons goal v Spurs and Youngs 1st v Arsenal....they were rather good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I can see us going for Fellaini in January maybe, he's in the last year of his contract isn't he? Can't imagine him wanting to stay at Everton!

Didn't realise he only had a year left in his contract. Would love a player like him at United and if we could get him on a free it would be a super bit of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

still f*cking angry this morning. ive defended our midfield for years saying we were ok, blaming our lack of activity on fergies loyalty and faith in scholes and hargreaves to do a stint. when both left, i expected 2 replacements and look what happens.

ive defended the glazers and the way the club is been run and low and behold, this money supposedly sitting in reserve for a "marquee" signing is, once again not spent.

just sick. ill be even sicker if i see park in there this year like he was last season, in the biggest game of them all. a player willling to pay back the loyalty shown in him by the club for 3 years offers to pay for free yet we let him go while a greedy lazy man such as gibson is left in the squad.

makes no sense at all. im starting to think the feeds that the club sent out about sneijder were just bollix to fool us all, talks did take place, but united knew the wages he was on from the start so if they werent going to match his demands, why does the "transfer" be up in the air until the last day? why not concentrate on somebody else, rather than fooling about for 3 months with a player who apparently wanted to play for us, yet we werent willing to match his demands.

i think weve all been had by united, again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

still f*cking angry this morning. ive defended our midfield for years saying we were ok, blaming our lack of activity on fergies loyalty and faith in scholes and hargreaves to do a stint. when both left, i expected 2 replacements and look what happens.

ive defended the glazers and the way the club is been run and low and behold, this money supposedly sitting in reserve for a "marquee" signing is, once again not spent.

just sick. ill be even sicker if i see park in there this year like he was last season, in the biggest game of them all. a player willling to pay back the loyalty shown in him by the club for 3 years offers to pay for free yet we let him go while a greedy lazy man such as gibson is left in the squad.

makes no sense at all. im starting to think the feeds that the club sent out about sneijder were just bollix to fool us all, talks did take place, but united knew the wages he was on from the start so if they werent going to match his demands, why does the "transfer" be up in the air until the last day? why not concentrate on somebody else, rather than fooling about for 3 months with a player who apparently wanted to play for us, yet we werent willing to match his demands.

We haven't ALL been had.

deisedevil wrote: »
    We haven't ALL been had.

true, though this deal was supposed to go through, i expected it to go through, was 100% sure in fact going off what i had heard.

even sneijder has been had, according to the link above, even he thought he was signing for us. strange strange strange saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I have mates like yourself homer who i always argue with about Ferguson's decision making and the Glazers. At the same time i can't argue with your sentiment, you like I, want Manchester United to be the best club in the world every single year.

As others have mentionned, i think we're seeing a new team develop here, Ferguson's next batch. The average age of the team fielded the past few games is clear for all to see.

De Gea, the two da silva's, smalling, jones, evans, young, cleverly, nani, wellbeck, hernandez. All young, talented, seem reasonably level headed (no one too big for their boots).

Anderson for creativity, with solid squad players like Park/Fletcher (starter for me when fit)/Valencia and the experience of Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra and Giggs. Rooney is biggest name in the team and i'd say he relishes being surrounded by such a talented young squad (especially when he's getting the service from them on the wings).

I agree with some that i'm not sure sneijder was what we needed. I'd argue that more bite in midfield is what's lacking. But at the same time i share the same feelings that we're lacking the real world class talent in certain area's of the pitch.

My hope is that some of this next batch will reach World Class at United. In Ferguson i still trust!

Definately never felt that I've 'been had'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

I agree with a lot of what you say (in general) Homer, but I definitely dont think we were had by the club in terms of Sneijder. Look at his quotes today and yesterday and he talks about being close to joining. He denies that it was over money and that it was maybe that he wished to stay in Italy. Whatever the reason it didn't happen. However, I'm 100% certain we did try, look at Natasha Turks (follow her if your on Twitter, even if she just announced a break) timeline from last night and she confirms that she met with his representatives and is gutted a deal wasn't pushed through.

It is frustrating that we haven't strengthened midfield, and even more so that we apparently have put all our eggs in Sneijders basket, however, I still struggle to see who else was available and would of improved our first 11. The one guy I would of bought, Javi Martinez, seems happy at Athletic and they have a new coach, Bielsa, and new project to start. I would maybe have taken a punt on Fellaini, but apart from him, I dont see who else was around.

Adam, Parker etc, aren't good enough imo.

Anyway, its a bit frustrating but I'm still hopeful. I agree with what some others have said, I think that with a more skilful CM partnership (like Clev and Ando), we'll dominate possession easier and definitely beat the weaker teams easier than we did last year (esp away from home). Yes, we might struggle against City and Liverpool in big games, but hopefully they'll drop a lot of points elsewhere too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Thanks for that link! Hope he does it for most of the games as it's great to see the contribution of specific players.

Phil Jones. Looks Awesome! :D:D

so weve been hearing rumblings since the week after the england v holland game (postponed) that the deal wasnt happening, that is 3 weeks ago. united were waiting for him to drop his demands they said.

if the money was there, if we had a certain gap in wages that were available to spend (lets say 120k for arguments sake), why didnt we focus on somebody else in the last 3 weeks?

gill said we had 3 targets, so sneijder was one, nasri was the other, who was the 3rd? as already pointed out, doesnt say a huge amount for our scouting network right now if we cant sign a good cm for the last 4 years.

cant see how we are willing to pay about 32 million for a player, we know a gap is there and then, all of a sudden we dont want him and decide to wait another year as gill said we might. makes zero sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Definitely don't want Fellaini, I think he's been found wanting and wouldn't really improve the first 11. If we already had him from the youth ranks as a squad player fine, but I don't see him being the kind of player we should be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

so weve been hearing rumblings since the week after the england v holland game (postponed) that the deal wasnt happening, that is 3 weeks ago. united were waiting for him to drop his demands they said.

if the money was there, if we had a certain gap in wages that were available to spend (lets say 120k for arguments sake), why didnt we focus on somebody else in the last 3 weeks?

gill said we had 3 targets, so sneijder was one, nasri was the other, who was the 3rd? as already pointed out, doesnt say a huge amount for our scouting network right now if we cant sign a good cm for the last 4 years.

cant see how we are willing to pay about 32 million for a player, we know a gap is there and then, all of a sudden we dont want him and decide to wait another year as gill said we might. makes zero sense.

I would say Modric was the other, but it was clearly early it was a non runner.
    I think given the CL draw, he was happy the current players could get us thru the first half of the season. Sign a midfielder in Jan if needs be. Cup-tied for CL doesn't come into IMHO.
    I wouldn't think he is to bothered about CL this year (regarding winning it) as regardless of who we sign we are unlikely to beat Barca and i think he is confident we could beat anyone else. This year is about winning the PL again and bringing through youth.

Cleverly and to a lesser extent Anderson(given the amount of games he played last season) ARE like new CM signings this season.

You don't have to spend £35M, or go out and buy at all for that matter, to improve your midfield.

People are all to fixated at looking at last seasons problems and thinking they NEED to be addressed in the transfer market, while they completely and utterly disregard the evolution/expected improvement of the current players at the club.

• Advertisement

anyway, im done talking about the disaster that became the sneijder deal. i wanted it to happen, it was supposed to happen, it didnt. i hope we

in fergie we trust.

financial figures digested here by the way, just realeased -

http://twitter.com/#!/andersred

£331million turnover! staggering. 46% of profit paid on debt interest though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I flipping hate us been in debt..:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

The whole sneidjer saga is strange. Thats the past 4 summers now we hav been linked heavily with a player for weeks or months and then nothing comes of it. Ribery,benzema,ozil and now sneidjer. Jst cant seem to pull off the big transfers anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Des wrote: »
    :(

re: boggles

you know i actually stopped and thought..am i really putting "boggles" into this post :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The thing is, for the last couple of years the centre of mindfield has been the weakest part of our squad/first eleven and was the obvious area to strenghen if any money was to be sent.

The fact that we have strenghened in defence and out wide makes the gap in quality to the centre of midfield even bigger and more obvious. I too am perplexed that we havent bought anyone if that position.

Having said that, I am delighted with the start that Anderson and Cleverely have made. They have made a huge difference to the fluidity of our play. Sure they may leave us a little more exposed defensively than a Carrick/Giggs partnership but they are so more constructive on the ball. The whole rythm of the team has changed since last season and everything going forward looks like a well oiled machine.

The big concern of course is an injury to either of these players, or indeed keeping up the level of performance in the opening games. We really should have brought in at least one body, if not two.

I think last seasons title win was probably Fergusons best. This may be harsh but I think we won it, despite our midfield last year. The defence and attack were world class and a couple of rivals under performed. Our football was functional at best and on many away occassions, disjointed and very poor.

For all my concerns above I am a hell of a lot more optimistic than I was during the summer. The football we have palyed so far has been great. Young has already cemented a first team place imo and it will be a toss up between Nani and Valencia for the other place when Valencia is fit.

Im also pretty confident that we will see Jones deployed in midfield at some stage of the season, possibly in a three man midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Those results look pretty decent considering....if I'm reading it right. Net debt down £70 million. Still £150 million in the bank.

I wonder does that include the "full" transfer payments Villa, Blackburn, At. Madrid.

• Advertisement

anyway, im done talking about the disaster that became the sneijder deal. i wanted it to happen, it was supposed to happen, it didnt. i hope we

in fergie we trust.

financial figures digested here by the way, just realeased -

http://twitter.com/#!/andersred

£331million turnover! staggering. 46% of profit paid on debt interest though :(
    My biggest worry from the IPO is that we will only pay off 35% of the Bonds (maximum allowable before a penalty charge is applied) and be left with 65% of the interest repayments + dividend repayments, which could put the club in a far worse position financially (but make the Glazers a lot of cash).

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Those results look pretty decent considering....if I'm reading it right. Net debt down £70 million. Still £150 million in the bank.

I wonder does that include the "full" transfer payments Villa, Blackburn, At. Madrid.

transfers are spread over the life of the contracts on balance sheets anyway.

Rooney10 wrote: »

It includes none of the deals for the summer signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

I said I'd reserve judgement 'til after the arsenal game and we went and won 8-2. I think we'll win the PL this year, but our rivals have really strengthened since last year.

If we just strengthened our mid-field I think that we would've have sent out a real message. I wish we got sneijder but someone else in that position would've done

Bottom line is, the PL is a strong possibility, but as for winning the CL. Absolutely no chance. Thought we'd have taken steps this summer to have a big impact CM but no, the CL is Barca's again (or a small possibility of it being Real Madrid's)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

Just regarding the Sneijder fiasco and the midfield in general;

In the article posted earlier its pretty clear that due to Inter's books, Eto or Sneijder had to go. Sneijder also says he didn't want to go but it looked like it was happening because United showed interest. But once interest was shown in Eto, Sneijder probably delayed the deal himself in an attempt to stay in Milan. Once Eto moved, he was allowed to stay as Inter's booked were balanced. As much as it looked like he was comming our way, its clear he didn't want to leave Inter. Eto leaving gave him the option to stay at Milan, or choose to push through a ove for us. He chose Milan. Does anyone really want a player at their club who doesn't want to be there??

With regards our midfield in general, i don't think anyone will be signed now until Giggs retires. Cleverley and Young have taken the squad places of Hargreaves and Scholes, even if they don't fill the same roles in the team. While our midfield is the weakest part of the team still, I'd like to see Cleverley and Anderson given the chance to step up to the plate. Realistically, with Fletcher being favoured by Fergie for the job he does for the team, and Carrick signing an extention, there is no room in the 25 man squad for a player who doesn't vastly improve on the options we already have. Outside of Modric, Sneijder and Nasri, IMO there was no one in the market who was available who fit that bill.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement