Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Some quality sides in the Championship so it would be a good learning process for a 20 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

hasn't been officially released yet as far as I know.

I think this is correct though:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ato0erZ6b0ENdC1PU3Zsdkt5SXYxa1hFVjh3SUM2enc&hl=en_US#gid=0

I came up with that same exact list, so one would assume so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Frankly thats just a kneejerk rosetinted view based on three games in which our center midfield STILL was the teams least effective unit.

There isn't a center midfield pairing in Europe that would be worried at having to compete with Anderson and Cleverly.

With the options we have on the wings and up frony we dont need teams quaking at our CM options, the smooth slick pass and move is about recycling possession and getting the supply to our wingers and attackers, in short they are merely a link from back to front with the way we attack and counter attack with pace. Least effective unit yes, but when you consider we probably have the best defense in the world, the best collection of wingers in the world accompanied by one of the top strikeforces, one area of the team naturally has to be weakest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just seen this photo.. boo-urns

Owen%20Shirt%20Shot2.ashx

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Don't those pics usually take place on the field of the stadium? Or are they terrified he'll injure himself again if he steps onto the pitch...

Doesn't look too happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

macheda needs a kick up the hole to sort him out.

can he still go on loan now or is it too late?

Should have been sent to Wigan, Sunderland, maybe Newcastle if they actually played him and didn't pull the same cr@p they did with Rossi.

He could be a very good player imo, it's a waste having him go another season without first team PL football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Was gonna post this in the Barca thread but think its probably a safer environment here to discuss it.

If you look at Barca (and Real), they have a few things which imo give them a bit of an advantage over all EPL teams (and other strong european leagues).

- B Team - Should United (or any other english club) be allowed to play a B team in a lower division? I think they should, it would certainly eliminate most of the loan signings that bigger clubs feel they are forced to make as players that played for the B team would be playing at an infinitly better standard than the reserves league. Maybe at League 1 standard (dont know whether it would be good enough for the Championship), which would go a long way to getting young players used to the physical demands of the EPL. Obviously, there would be have to rules around players being delegated to the B team, I think that in Spain they aren't allowed to promoted to the first team during the season etc. And then you couldn't have two teams in the same division. Does anyone think this is something that could work in England? Or is tribalism too strong? Personally, from a selfish United point of view, I would really like this. When you see the crap attendances at the reserve games, it just seems so counter productive, its just sh!te.

- Training Youth 1 - Should big EPL clubs be allowed recruit young players from all over England? Not just within their local area? I understand that it protects clubs who develop a player from a young(ish) age, but my argument here would be a gifted kid surely has a better chance at making it at a club with the best facilities, coaches etc? If there was a good compensation (standardised maybe?) agreement where smaller clubs weren't shafted, surely this would be a good thing?

- Training Youth 2 - Increase the number of hours that young players can be coached per week. I think this is being changed to allow more but at the moment its a paltry amount of hours compared to most european leagues. The idea is simple, the more time that the kid spends with a coach, the more he learns.

- TV Deal - Again, this is the other "benefit" that Barca and Real share in. If the EPL followed the same thinking, one would imagine that United would easily gain the largest share, probably with Liverpool getting the next, then Chelsea / Arsenal / Spurs. In Spain its decided before the season starts, doesn't matter who comes where. Should we be allowed to earn more as we pull in the biggest viewing figures etc? Not sure where I stand on this, selfishly I want more money, but it unquestionably widens the gap between big and small clubs.

tl;dr Waa Waa, I want what Barca have.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I heard he had broke his wrist signing the contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

G.K. wrote: »
    Doesn't look too happy.

i want to vomit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SK1979 wrote: »
    - Training Youth 1 - Should big EPL clubs be allowed recruit young players from all over England? Not just within their local area? I understand that it protects clubs who develop a player from a young(ish) age, but my argument here would be a gifted kid surely has a better chance at making it at a club with the best facilities, coaches etc? If there was a good compensation (standardised maybe?) agreement where smaller clubs weren't shafted, surely this would be a good thing?

- Training Youth 2 - Increase the number of hours that young players can be coached per week. I think this is being changed to allow more but at the moment its a paltry amount of hours compared to most european leagues. The idea is simple, the more time that the kid spends with a coach, the more he learns.
    Both of these issues are being address. There is a vote taking place later in the year on academy/youth rules and the 90min rule will be done away with and the number of hours of contact a club can have with a kid, football-wise, is going to be greatly increased - according to the stories at the moment.

On the B team issue - I believe Wenger spoke of it previously. I'm, personally, not a fan. Every team should compete and survive on its own merits. I think it would devalue the lower leagues if we had B teams. Also, it would lead to a lot more stock-piling of talent as teams, such as United, would be able to maintain a squad of (say) 25 players happily enough for the first team, then have a second squad 25 of kick ass young players who could, arguably, win the Championship - that is 50 talented players before you take into account the actual youth teams.

I do think the Barca B team are an advantage, but not one I would be hoping United could copy any time soon, to be honest. The issues regarding the youth development are two I am looking forward to be resolved though.

On the TV issue - another one I don't like. I would like if United could get in the same amount of money (or more) as Barcelona, but the fact is the Spannish League financies are grossly unfair due to the way their TV deal is structured - and I think it would be the death of the PL if individual TV deals were put in place - the difference in wealth in the PL is great enough without giving the big sides a massively disproportionate amount of the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Trilla wrote: »
    i want to vomit

Likewise.

It will be interesting to hear what Fergie has to say when he will be asked the question about Hargreaves at his next press conference.

Vanbis wrote: »
    Likewise.

It will be interesting to hear what Fergie has to say whenhe will be asked the question about Hargreaves at his next press conference.

like ta sahy dah, wish da bowy wewl n howpe he dusin get nahsty ingerray agayin, palayin fur da naoisy nayburrrrrs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

like ta sahy dah, wish da bowy wewl n howpe he dusin get nahsty ingerray agayin, palayin fur da naoisy nayburrrrrs :)

what is this I don't even....

Is that supposed to be a Glasgow accent?

:confused:

Des wrote: »
    what is this I don't even....

Is that supposed to be a Glasgow accent?

:confused:

what you think now Des, have a guess eh!:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Lads I don't get the problem with Hargreaves. You had him, you fúcked him out of the club and he signed with someone else. Does he not deserve another chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

The 23rd October Man City play at OT. I have a funny feeling Hargreaves will get a good reception if his name is called out on the day.

Lads I don't get the problem with Hargreaves. You had him, you fúcked him out of the club and he signed with someone else. Does he not deserve another chance?

yes he does

but its like Cheryl Cole marrying Ashley Cole... we don't know the lad one bit but its still gonna make you sick inside

Vanbis wrote: »
    The 23rd October Man City play at OT. I have a funny feeling Hargreaves will get a good reception if his name is called out on the day.

I'll be there and I won't be booing him, Tevez on the other hand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Stop talking ****e

• Advertisement

1. He deserves another chance, yes.
    2. The United FANS did not let him go, management did.
    3. Do we have to like that he chose to sign for, from a Man United fan perspective, arguably the worst possible side he could sign for?
    4. IMO signing for City shows a lack of respect for the United fans that supported him. He doesn't owe us anything, he can do what he wants, but I feel what he has done displays a lack of respect - so why should I show him any respect in return.

Both of these issues are being address. There is a vote taking place later in the year on academy/youth rules and the 90min rule will be done away with and the number of hours of contact a club can have with a kid, football-wise, is going to be greatly increased - according to the stories at the moment.

On the B team issue - I believe Wenger spoke of it previously. I'm, personally, not a fan. Every team should compete and survive on its own merits. I think it would devalue the lower leagues if we had B teams. Also, it would lead to a lot more stock-piling of talent as teams, such as United, would be able to maintain a squad of (say) 25 players happily enough for the first team, then have a second squad 25 of kick ass young players who could, arguably, win the Championship - that is 50 talented players before you take into account the actual youth teams.

I do think the Barca B team are an advantage, but not one I would be hoping United could copy any time soon, to be honest. The issues regarding the youth development are two I am looking forward to be resolved though.

On the TV issue - another one I don't like. I would like if United could get in the same amount of money (or more) as Barcelona, but the fact is the Spannish League financies are grossly unfair due to the way their TV deal is structured - and I think it would be the death of the PL if individual TV deals were put in place - the difference in wealth in the PL is great enough without giving the big sides a massively disproportionate amount of the money

Great, I didn't realise the 90 min rule was up for consideration too. To be honest, I think these changes are a no-brainer. I would have no problem with them imposing say a minimum fee that has to be paid to a smaller club (even £500k to £1m) for a young player. Then the larger club is taking a gamble as to whether the player realises his potential and gets into the first team.

I take your points about stockpiling players, but if you look at the total number of players at the club already, its probably close to 60-70 professionals (a lot of YTS contracts of course), so would it really be that different if we were allowed to play a competitive B team? About devaluing the league their in, could be the case. Maybe other teams would like the challenge of playing a United 2nd team, it would attract decent crowds anyway, would TV not be interested in showing more of the games and so on? Its a difficult one, if done right I think it could benefit more than just United. There would have to be strict regulations.

About Wenger though, he does have a good point about something else, with City the way they are at the moment, they've lent players out to other EPL teams, who cant play against City, but will be able to play against all other teams, therefore giving them an unfair advantage. Its not just lending kids to give them a game, its lending established internationals (Adebayor, SWP, Bellamy et al). Having a B team would give them somewhere to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He wasn't fúcked out if the club. His 4 year contract expired, 3 of which years the club paid his wages while he didn't kick a ball and did everything they could to get him back playing again. The fact that he can even think about playing again is down to the treatment he received whilst under contract at United.

While obviously he was well within his rights to join whatever club he wanted, City was without doubt the worst club he could have joined from the point of view of United fans. I don't see why United fans should be guilt tripped into respecting his decision or wishing him well. I understand his descision of course, but it will never sit right with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Fletcher starting for Scotland. Great news.

CL squad announced.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/clubs/club=52682/squad/index.html

Johnstone, Amos, McGinty, Petrucci, James and Keane the notable kids on the list (and Welbeck, Macheda, Fab, Raf) Surprising Pogba isn't on the list ahead of Petrucci and James. Though players can be added to the B list at any time so doesn't mean there is no chance of Pogba getting a run out (or that Petrucci et al actually will)
    EDIT: Pogba may not qualify for the B list yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

smalling,jones, young and rooney expected to start tonight also for england.

smalling,jones, young and rooney expected to start tonight also for england.

I read, on twitter, people commenting that Cahill was starting tonight - so I would assume, if that is the case, that Jones won't be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

CL squad announced.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/clubs/club=52682/squad/index.html

Johnstone, Amos, McGinty, Petrucci, James and Keane the notable kids on the list (and Welbeck, Macheda, Fab, Raf) Surprising Pogba isn't on the list ahead of Petrucci and James. Though players can be added to the B list at any time so doesn't mean there is no chance of Pogba getting a run out (or that Petrucci et al actually will)
    EDIT: Pogba may not qualify for the B list yet....

Can under 21s not play regardless of whether they're on the list?

No - they have to have been at the club for 3 years prior to the age of 21, I think, to qualify for the B list. Pogba joined United June 09 so it will be next season before he qualifies as a B list player. By my reckoning we could have registered him though; I think there are only 24 registered players in the CL squad.

No - they have to have been at the club for 3 years prior to the age of 21, I think, to qualify for the B list. Pogba joined United June 09 so it will be next season before he qualifies as a B list player. By my reckoning we could have registered him though; I think there are only 24 registered players in the CL squad.

I wouldn't be too worried about pogba (or morrison) not being on the list.

Thr youth team players named might be lads that saf feels need a little incentive to encourage them etc. Especially petrucci. I'd say it's extremely unlikely that any will get game time. Maybe named the bench in dead rubber games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Anyone else get a letter from Utd.com today? I did in regards to the Chelsea game.

Basically I tells me I was successful in my application (I already knew this from the site) and that I have to access my seat in the stadium using my membership card.

"The barcode on your membership card will be activated to act as your ticket for the game". Are the exact words used.

In bold its also states "It is very important you bring your membership card, this letter and a form of identification (drivers license or debit card) to the match with you."

The last part is a bit of a worry for me. I can't get the time of work and was planning to sell this ticket. I have a buyer already. It seems they are trying to stamp out undesirables getting into the ground, which is understandable. I know its prohibited to sell any PL tickets on ebay etc to combat holiganisim.

I guess my only option is to give my buyer the letter and membership card and hope they are not to strict on a third form of ID at the turnstile?

I presume I wont be getting a match ticket now in the post like I did for Arsenal and the upcoming Norwich match.

I'm worried though that by doing this someone will have my membership ID and what that could mean. Of course I can cancel the card if they don't send it back but will I have to pay fro a replacement etc?

Anyone been through this before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Anyone else get a letter from Utd.com today? I did in regards to the Chelsea game.

Basically I tells me I was successful in my application (I already knew this from the site) and that I have to access my seat in the stadium using my membership card.

"The barcode on your membership card will be activated to act as your ticket for the game". Are the exact words used.

In bold its also states "It is very important you bring your membership card, this letter and a form of identification (drivers license or debit card) to the match with you."

The last part is a bit of a worry for me. I can't get the time of work and was planning to sell this ticket. I have a buyer already. It seems they are trying to stamp out undesirables getting into the ground, which is understandable. I know its prohibited to sell any PL tickets on ebay etc to combat holiganisim.

I guess my only option is to give my buyer the letter and membership card and hope they are not to strict on a third form of ID at the turnstile?

I presume I wont be getting a match ticket now in the post like I did for Arsenal and the upcoming Norwich match.

I'm worried though that by doing this someone will have my membership ID and what that could mean. Of course I can cancel the card if they don't send it back but will I have to pay fro a replacement etc?

I got no email. You on a season ticket or just won on the ballet? Nobody asked me for id since I have been going over or membership cards - only ever gone in with season ticket. Went with a tour group awhile back and they had season tickets also.

Sounds like you scan in on the membership card and if there is a problem they will ask you for id? I couldnt imagine they would want to hold up the queues going in, especially close to kickoff by id'ing everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

SAF won Manager Of The Month for August, for the 26th time. :)

Skud wrote: »
    I got no email. You on a season ticket or just won on the ballet? Nobody asked me for id since I have been going over or membership cards - only ever gone in with season ticket. Went with a tour group awhile back and they had season tickets also.

Sounds like you scan in on the membership card and if there is a problem they will ask you for id? I couldnt imagine they would want to hold up the queues going in, especially close to kickoff by id'ing everyone.

On the ballot. I got all my previous tickets through the ballot. It looke like they are stepping up security this year with these new measusres and the abolishment of the ticket exchange. It will making buying/selling tickets unoffically difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Has everyone got their membersip cards/packs or are there still people waiting on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Smalling at rb , Young in the hole and Rooney up top for England

Jones & cleverley not even on bench :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

On the ballot. I got all my previous tickets through the ballot. It looke like they are stepping up security this year with these new measusres and the abolishment of the ticket exchange. It will making buying/selling tickets unoffically difficult.

Yeah they started that last year. I think they will get rid of paper tickets soon. You just scan your membership card, debit card would only be needed if it doesn't scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

If you end up selling the ticket to a mate/relative then you could give them your debit card to use just in case.Id say thats the reason they would accept a debit card in the first place rather than a photo ID is for reasons just like that.

TBH Id be hard pushed to buy a ticket and not be 100% garaunteed to get my seat.

If you end up selling the ticket to a mate/relative then you could give them your debit card to use just in case.Id say thats the reason they would accept a debit card in the first place rather than a photo ID is for reasons just like that.

TBH Id be hard pushed to buy a ticket and not be 100% garaunteed to get my seat.

Mate/relative no problem with giving them a debit card but for unknowns (which the buyer for my Chelsea ticket is) its obviously not an option.

I would hope the membership card and letter is enough but now there is doubt on the buyers part. All I can do is promise a refund but now their going on my word.

Are there any implications of a third party having my member ID number? I know on utd.com you have to log in and there is a security question but could somebody who has your ID and name apply/cancel tickets on your behalf at the ticket kiosk at Old Trafford?

I've only ever bought online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Jones & cleverley not even on bench :(

Nothing wrong with that, less chance of picking up a knock. :)

d22ontour wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that, less chance of picking up a knock. :)

Suppose , state of the pitch an all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Somebody's work is done......until January.

Daily-pics-79.jpg

Rooney just scored for England against Bulgaria.

Header from a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rooney just scored for England against Bulgaria.

Header from a corner.

Well Capello did mention his new hair.:D It seems to be helping.

zerks wrote: »
    Well Capello did mention his new hair.:D It seems to be helping.

Must be something cause it says on SkySports that he got the third as well:)

Assisted by Young as well

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

It's been suggested that City's move for Hargreaves is just a cynical way round the UEFA rules regarding English players. They get an English player in their squad who they probably won't have to pay and if they do have to pay him it'll be because he's fit to play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

It's been suggested that City's move for Hargreaves is just a cynical way round the UEFA rules regarding English players. They get an English player in their squad who they probably won't have to pay and if they do have to pay him it'll be because he's fit to play.

Hargreaves doesn't count as home grown does he?

He's not home-grown, is he? Or is it irrelevant because he's English?

He's not home grown as he never played in England for 3 years before his 21 birthday .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Is this for the CL? He didn't make the squad! :pac:
    He told the club's official website on Thursday: "I've never not played in the Champions League, it's pretty much been standard for me every season."
    Owen Hargreaves left out of Man City squad for Champions League
    _55119563_harg.jpg
    Hargreaves won the Champions League final with Manchester United in 2008

Manchester City midfielder Owen Hargreaves has been left out of the club's squad for the Champions League.

The 30-year-old joined City this week after being released by rivals Manchester United.

He will now miss out on a reunion with his first club Bayern Munich - who City play on 27 September.

He told the club's official website on Thursday: "I've never not played in the Champions League, it's pretty much been standard for me every season."

Hargreaves signed a one-year deal at the Etihad Stadium but, after being restricted to just four appearances in the last three seasons, accepts he is short of match fitness.

City also play Napoli and Villarreal in Group A as they return to the top tier of European football for the first time since 1968.

Hargreaves could be added to the squad in January should Roberto Mancini's side make it into the last 16.

Also missing from the squad is defender Wayne Bridge, although striker Carlos Tevez and Kolo Toure are included.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14762200.stm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement