Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

On nights like this i'm glad to support united.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Chico scored for Mehiko against Poland tonight. Final score 1-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

LoL poor guy can't catch a break , although its entirely not his fault .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Entirely? I wouldn't blame him at all for that goal. It was simply an incredibly stupid thing for a defender to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Entirely? I wouldn't blame him at all for that goal.

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant by entirely anyway.

Entirely? I wouldn't blame him at all for that goal. It was simply an incredibly stupid thing for a defender to do.

Yeah that's what I meant .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the goal has nothing to do with him and people still like to make a story out of it?

f*ck sake..

the goal has nothing to do with him and people still like to make a story out of it?

f*ck sake..

Who's making a story out of it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Yeah that's what I meant .

Fair enough, but you should have just left out the 'entirely' bit then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

jehus fcuking chrest DE gEA, WHAT WERE you doing???? This is an outrag. he is sooobad lolol. I think he is going to play for Rochdale next year. Becaus I know, thats why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Who's making a story out of it ?

its been posted here and its being commented on.
    ive seen it linked a few times now on various places.

the article it goes with on one website states "de gea suffers again" and goes on to mention his mistakes against city and west brom and mentions the word embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

too far off his line

Fair enough, but you should have just left out the 'entirely' bit then.

Is what I wrote not correct ?

Homer it's a relevant to here as Hernandez's deflected goal .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He wont be able to blink on the field and people will be on his back now..

He a young keeper who has big shoes to fill. He made few mistakes, he will make more no question. People need to be patient.. He will come good. Lets have bit faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

He wont be able to blink on the field and people will be on his back now..

He a young keeper who has big shoes to fill. He made few mistakes, he will make more no question. People need to be patient.. He will come good. Lets have bit faith.

If he blinked, would he miss it? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Des wrote: »
    too far off his line

At least I am not the only one wondering why he was so far out of his goal? And I am a massive fan of the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Des wrote: »
    too far off his line

Of course he wasn't.

Take it from a goalkeeper, the days of a goalkeeper never coming past the penalty spot are long gone - the best goalkeepers do a lot of work up to 30/35m from their goal line.

Taking this specific incident, de Gea was about 15/16m out when the oppo keeper lumped the ball 70 yards - I think his positioning was spot on if he was considering all probable outcomes - no keeper could have anticipated a clown of a centre half swinging a boot behind him, and surely not to put the ball where he did!

It was a fluke - plain and simple!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

he should only be that far off his line if he has called the defender to leave it to him . for all we know he called the defender to leave it and the stupid tool decided to backheel it anyway. so instead of blaming de gea, maybe it was the defender who ****ed up. why are people waiting for de gea to fail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

alproctor wrote: »
    Of course he wasn't.

Take it from a goalkeeper, the days of a goalkeeper never coming past the penalty spot are long gone - the best goalkeepers do a lot of work up to 30/35m from their goal line.

Taking this specific incident, de Gea was about 15/16m out when the oppo keeper lumped the ball 70 yards - I think his positioning was spot on if he was considering all probable outcomes - no keeper could have anticipated a clown of a centre half swinging a boot behind him, and surely not to put the ball where he did!

It was a fluke - plain and simple!!!

I'm also a goalkeeper and I say he shouldn't have been that far off his line.

This is easy:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

It's fairly obvious that De Gea is anticapating the defender leaving the ball, so he has run out expecting the ball to bounce into the box to him. The defender should never have attempeted to get anything on the ball and let the natural flight bring it into De Gea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

nicklauski wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious that De Gea is anticapating the defender leaving the ball, so he has run out expecting the ball to bounce into the box to him. The defender should never have attempeted to get anything on the ball and let the natural flight bring it into De Gea.

Should he not have screamed at the defender ''DE GEA'S BALL'' if that's the case?

Clearly poor communication skills:p

When you look at the scoreline at the time, it really does put context into the goal. If there was ever a time to take your foot off the gas and not give a fúck, I'd say 6-0 up in Georgia would be a pretty good time:pac:

Blatter wrote: »

So you are saying a goalkeeper should not be standing at the edge of his penalty area when there is no immediate danger?

Not wanting to upset anyone, but that's a real GAA mentality - "Stay on your Line" - There was nothing wrong with his positioning. Full Stop.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

LOL I am a goalkeeper excuses craic me up!!!! Not directed at ye lads, but in general people who use that excuse are goalkeepers for a reason!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

I'm obviously not a de Gea fan, but blaming him at all for that goal is just ridiculous. He's blameless.

David James, Lee Dixon and Phil Neville are actually discussing him right now on Football Focus...consensus is that it's tough when you first arrive at United and that de Gea will come good. I obviously don't agree but that's one of the things that makes this such a great game...everyone has an opinion.

I think that Phil Neville actually just invented a new word..."Scrutinisation"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I'm obviously not a de Gea fan, but blaming him at all for that goal is just ridiculous. He's blameless.

Alright lads, own up to it, who hacked into Sean's account!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Should he not have screamed at the defender ''DE GEA'S BALL'' if that's the case?

I'd say he did, look at his position when the opposition Keeper kicks the ball, he is already moving to the front of the box when the ball is in mid air.

When the ball is in the net you can clearly see him point to his mouth, as much to say he called it.

God I hate international weeks. Even more so after going to see that debacle last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

That's where the keeper is meant to be positioned so he can be available for a pass back from the defence or to redistribute the ball quickly.

Anyone arguing otherwise is talking ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

At least his record , of one howler per game is still intact .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

At least his record , of one howler per game is still intact .
    I hate the opinions of people who have clearly only seen his games since joining united and making sweeping judgments about him after so few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I hate the opinions of people who have clearly only seen his games since joining united and making sweeping judgments about him after so few games.

Exactly, he did play 57 games for AM before moving.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Exactly, he did play 57 games for AM before moving.

So f..king what?

I'm sure that Massimo Taibi did great at Venezia prior to joining United but he was an unmitigated disaster at United, and so far de Gea's been the same.

What went before at Atletico is completely irrelevant. It's just a useless point used by clowns in a futile and misguided attempt to illustrate that their opinion carries more weight because they watch non El Classico La Liga games.

De Gea hasn't built up credit with great performances at Atletico for him to now spend with us as he drops one clanger after another. From a Manchester United perspective, de Gea's career began this summer and so far it's been disastrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'm sure that Massimo Taibi did great at Venezia prior to joining United but he was an unmitigated disaster at United

Wasn't he MOTM in his first match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

So f..king what?

I'm sure that Massimo Taibi did great at Venezia prior to joining United but he was an unmitigated disaster at United, and so far de Gea's been the same.

What went before at Atletico is completely irrelevant. It's just a useless point used by clowns in a futile and misguided attempt to illustrate that their opinion carries more weight because they watch non El Classico La Liga games.

De Gea hasn't built up credit with great performances at Atletico for him to now spend with us as he drops one clanger after another. From a Manchester United perspective, de Gea's career began this summer and so far it's been disastrous.

So what? One poster above claimed that he made a mistake every game? Thats simply not true.

Maybe since he moved to us, but not overall. Whats the point in jumping on his back. Hes not good start for us, but luckily for him going forward we've been solid so we've won all the games, but hes also made good saves as well as a penalty, but sure he went to right way for a poor peno so that doesn't count? When Arsenal played Udiense and szczesny saved a peno it was been claimed as a world class save by some around the world, but did he not go the right way as well?

Recently enough didn't you claim it was too early to jump on the wagon of praising Cleverly and Anderson? Is that not the same thing here, just the other way around? All this De Gea talk has been done to the ground.

But Sean, if you were Fergie this summer, who would you have brought in instead of De Gea?

ok, he had a bad debut v city, had a bad game v west brom (both of which we still won). in his next game v spurs he made a mess of one cross very late in the game after being solid throughout and against arsenal he saved a penalty, made a good double save in the first half, made a fine save from vanpersie in the 2nd and was solid throughout. his distribution has fantastic. theres been no comparison between his form in the first 2 games and the last 2 games. if he can improve that much in a short space of time then surely we dont have an "unmitigated disaster" on our hands. I think we have a "unquestionable talent" on our hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

So f..king what?

So what? One poster above claimed that he made a mistake every game? Thats simply not true.

Maybe since he moved to us, but not overall. Whats the point in jumping on his back. Hes not good start for us, but luckily for him going forward we've been solid so we've won all the games, but hes also made good saves as well as a penalty, but sure he went to right way for a poor peno so that doesn't count? When Arsenal played Udiense and szczesny saved a peno it was been claimed as a world class save by some around the world, but did he not go the right way as well?

Recently enough didn't you claim it was too early to jump on the wagon of praising Cleverly and Anderson? Is that not the same thing here, just the other way around? All this De Gea talk has been done to the ground.

But Sean, if you were Fergie this summer, who would you have brought in instead of De Gea?
    He's already said, shay given :pac:

And we're the clowns :P

why do people think we should have signed someone like shay given or brad friedel for a year or two and ten go for de gea or some other young keeper . Bringing in an old hand would only delay the process of bedding in a new young keeper . Say we had waited a year or two: what if de gea had been snapped up by someone else, then what? sign another over 35 to fill the gap for a year or two? Bringing in De Gea now was the most sensible thing to do. The mistakes he made in his first two games were nothing out of the ordinary for more experienced keepers. Cech/Reina/Friedel/James/Hart etc have all made a few howlers in their careers. Reina looked a complete liability at crosses when he first arrived .Even Vander Sar v west brom last year cost us 2 points that could have been crucial in a tight run in .It happens to them all.

We would have been made look like a right joke of a club if we had replaced 40 yr old VDS with 40 year old Brad Friedel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think the issue is the ratio of mistakes to games for the likes of VDS/Reina/Given/Friedel is quite a bit better than DeGea thus far at Utd who has made a bad mistake per game.

It will no doubt improve.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think the issue is the ratio of mistakes to games for the likes of VDS/Reina/Given/Friedel is quite a bit better than DeGea thus far at Utd who has made a bad mistake per game.

It will no doubt improve.
    what mistake did he make v arsenal?

He very much should have saved Walcotts goal.

He very much should have saved Walcotts goal.
    if any other keeper had let that in you wouldnt be classing it as a mistake. i d say the anti de gea people on this site were secretly disappointed when he saved the penalty and were more happy when arsenal scored.

• Advertisement

The trouble with a goalkeeper making a mistake is that more often than not, it leads to a goal, or at least an goal scoring opprtunity. Whereas a mistake up the pitch may not be punished as harshly!

Granted, de Gea has made a couple of errors so far, and they will need to be eradicated, what has really stood out for me is his handling -

I am very, VERY impressed with the way the ball sticks - one particular save against Tottenham sticks out for me - not sure who it was from, but de Gea took it low down to his left, letting his shoulder and elbow cushion the fall while keeping the ball in the air - it's one thing stopping a ball, but it's another to hold it, and not present it back in front of you - something that Robert Green (as an example) seems to make a habit of.....

I would say the same for any keeper who let that goal in.

Is Gary Neville one of these anti-DeGea people you're referring to? Because he also thought that DeGea should have saved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

n32 wrote: »
    if any other keeper had let that in you wouldnt be classing it as a mistake. i d say the anti de gea people on this site were secretly disappointed when he saved the penalty and were more happy when arsenal scored.

its irrelevant who it was. it should have been saved

and lol at the bolded bit

I am very, VERY impressed with the way the ball sticks - one particular save against Tottenham sticks out for me - not sure who it was from, but de Gea took it low down to his left, letting his shoulder and elbow cushion the fall while keeping the ball in the air - it's one thing stopping a ball, but it's another to hold it, and not present it back in front of you - something that Robert Green (as an example) seems to make a habit of.....

In the very same match he spilled a shot at the end that Defoe nearly got onto...

I would say the same for any keeper who let that goal in.

Is Gary Neville one of these anti-DeGea people you're referring to? Because he also thought that DeGea should have saved it.
    gary neville hasnt been saying that de gea has been a disaster in every game he s played like some people on here have.

In the very same match he spilled a shot at the end that Defoe nearly got onto...

Nearly.

so proving my point - every mistake a keeper makes is exaggerated due to his location on this pitch.

:D

But yes - I do agree he should have done better with Defoe's effort, but (and this is probably my last word on de Gea) I do believe (or hope) he will be a good buy for us. He definitely has the potential to be world class - he is only 20, after all. It will also be interesting to see how he copes with the less physical CL.....

Good luck to him.

But that's not what I said :confused:

I just said he's made a bad mistake per game, which you took exception to.

Nearly.

so proving my point - every mistake a keeper makes is exaggerated due to his location on this pitch.

100% agree with this and Ive been telling people this a lot recently.
    But yes - I do agree he should have done better with Defoe's effort, but (and this is probably my last word on de Gea) I do believe (or hope) he will be a good buy for us. He definitely has the potential to be world class - he is only 20, after all. It will also be interesting to see how he copes with the less physical CL.....

Good luck to him.

Again agree. I think long term he will be a good keeper but we just have to be patient and give him time to come good. It doesnt mean though that we dont acknowledge his very obvious mistakes though.

100% agree with this and Ive been telling people this a lot recently.

Again agree. I think long term he will be a good keeper but we just have to be patient and give him time to come good. It doesnt mean though that we dont acknowledge his very obvious mistakes though.
    acknowledging his mistakes in a sensible fashion is grand but its the hysteria of some posters thats out of order. comparing him to taibi is utter nonsense. as i ve said before if he continues to make the rapid progress he s been making from game to game so far then we ve very little to worry about. im sure eve his most ardent critics cant deny that the spurs game was a drastic improvement on WBA and arsenal was an improvement on Spurs. His graph is going in the right direction, the time to be worried is when a fella has a pheneomenal debut and goes downhill from there.

• Advertisement

n32 wrote: »
    acknowledging his mistakes in a sensible fashion is grand but its the hysteria of some posters thats out of order. comparing him to taibi is utter nonsense. as i ve said before if he continues to make the rapid progress he s been making from game to game so far then we ve very little to worry about. im sure eve his most ardent critics cant deny that the spurs game was a drastic improvement on WBA and arsenal was an improvement on Spurs. His graph is going in the right direction, the time to be worried is when a fella has a pheneomenal debut and goes downhill from there.

i think its just a case of filtering out the crap mate. i ignore a lot of the bs written about him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement