Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Having good distribution doesnt mean he has good footwork .some of his errors have been down to his footwork not been good enough/quick enough IMO .

And I've distinguished the difference.

Of course you're quick distribution with your feet means you have to have good footwork to get that right. Leaving your standing foot a mile behind you or in front of you means you're distribution is going to be off coz you're not going to strike the ball cleanly. VDS was terrible for slicing the ball out over the line when there was pressure on him to clear coz he didn't get his feet right.

VDS footwork when going for low shots was second to none. De Gea's is not near good enough yet.

They are like the inverse of each in those regards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

n32 wrote: »
    Was there not a line drawn under this subject earlier this afternoon????

was actually a line drawn in the sand .......

SAND

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Cambo2008; I've already said his distribution is excellent. Please pay attention.

Yea I've seen that but you seem to be still arguing that it's not because of a misplaced kickout vs West Brom.
    Mars Bar was talking about having confidence in him with one touch passing to defenders......also known as distribution

I'm confused as to the couple of opinions that Edwin van der Sar's distribution from the ground was poor!!!!!

Without fear of contradiction, he was one of the best around with dealing with balls to his feet. And with either foot too.

:confused:

alproctor wrote: »
    I'm confused as to the couple of opinions that Edwin van der Sar's distribution from the ground was poor!!!!!

Without fear of contradiction, he was one of the best around with dealing with balls to his feet. And with either foot too.

:confused:

When he had time to take a touch, he was brilliant.

If he had to hoof it up the field when under a bit of pressure, 90% of the time possession would be given away coz the opposing team would have a throw in.

That was genuinely the only time I'd get annoyed with VDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Was there not a line drawn under this subject earlier this afternoon????

was actually a line drawn in the sand .......

[SIZE="7"]SAND[/SIZE]

:D:D:D
    Obviously it seems a line in the sand doesn't carry the same weight it used to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

You have a talent young Mikey.

You back from the States yet?

mars bar wrote: »
    You have a talent young Mikey.

You back from the States yet?
    Thank you.

And yes, back in Bray. The beach isnt really comparable to Huntington Beach, CA. But you really cant beat proper Denny rashers and sausages.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Thank you.

And yes, back in Bray. The beach isnt really comparable to Huntington Beach, CA. But you really cant beat proper Denny rashers and sausages.

I can imagine! There rashers, pudding and sausages in the fridge for tomorrows breakfast. Yummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I can imagine! There rashers, pudding and sausages in the fridge for tomorrows breakfast. Yummy!

Finally, something worth talking about!!! A welcome break from this de Gea nonsense. Can I just say, I love Clonakilty black pudding.

killwill wrote: »
    Finally, something worth talking about!!! A welcome break from this de Gea nonsense. Can I just say, I love Clonakilty black pudding.

A few years of Man United Superthreads has taught me a few things. If mundane discussions occur, break the ice with one of the following:

a) A funny picture/video of a United player doing something odd in training/in everday life.
    b) Talk about something off topic, yet everyone loves ie. an Irish fry-up.
    c) Quote a strange part of the discussion and make a light joke via a picture, I find Simpsons pictures work best because everyone knows them.

Examples:

a)
    Ando-Hair1.jpg

b)
    I've always been more of a white pudding man.

c)
    I had a better beard at 13 than he does now.
    tumblr_kskg3aa9OA1qztjn5o1_500.png

:p

Nolans Butchers in Kilcullen have no equals!!!!

Cue a warning from a mod for being off topic - sorry lads!!!! promise i wont do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Wesley-Sneijder-Manchester-United-move-could-happen-in-January-says-Inter-Milan-star-article794819.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Wesley Sneijder has told friends that his failed move to Manchester United could still happen in the New Year.

Sunday Mirror Sport understands that United pulled out of a deal for the Dutch international midfielder when the scale of his demands became too rich.

The Premier League champions had agreed a £30million fee with Inter Milan, only for Sneijder to up the ante by ­asking United to lay on a ­private jet and buy his house in Italy. That prompted United boss Sir Alex Ferguson to call time on his summer-long chase for the 27-year-old.

But Sneidjer has told people close to him that a move to Old Trafford could be resurrected in January. A source said: “Wesley wanted to go to United and was in negotiations until quite late. They couldn’t agree terms but he is still saying he will end up at United.”

No chance of Sneijder signing in January imo.

If we couldn't agree a deal for him now, we are not going to be able to agree one for an older cup tied Snirjder in Jan, or an older Sneijder in summer 2012. It is done and over with imo.

Also.... a jet and a house in Italy? No wonder we pulled out if that is true, surely it can't be.

Nolans Butchers in Kilcullen have no equals!!!!

Cue a warning from a mod for being off topic - sorry lads!!!! promise i wont do it again.

Blame it on Mikey, he started it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

CL tied in January makes him worth about 15 million and no where near 200k a week..
    He had his chance,leave him piss off to somewhere else now,we will manage with what we have till next summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

the private jet may be exagerrated , but he may have asked them to buy house in Mnachester for him .

A cup tied Sneidjer will be of no use in January.

He missed the bus .

dahat wrote: »
    CL tied in January makes him worth about 15 million and no where near 200k a week..
    He had his chance,leave him piss off to somewhere else now,we will manage with what we have till next summer...

I reckon Modric is going to be the big target of speculation in January - won't be cup tied. Same with players like De Rossi.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Wesley-Sneijder-Manchester-United-move-could-happen-in-January-says-Inter-Milan-star-article794819.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Wesley Sneijder has told friends that his failed move to Manchester United could still happen in the New Year.

Sunday Mirror Sport understands that United pulled out of a deal for the Dutch international midfielder when the scale of his demands became too rich.

The Premier League champions had agreed a £30million fee with Inter Milan, only for Sneijder to up the ante by ­asking United to lay on a ­private jet and buy his house in Italy. That prompted United boss Sir Alex Ferguson to call time on his summer-long chase for the 27-year-old.

But Sneidjer has told people close to him that a move to Old Trafford could be resurrected in January. A source said: “Wesley wanted to go to United and was in negotiations until quite late. They couldn’t agree terms but he is still saying he will end up at United.”

No chance of Sneijder signing in January imo.

If we couldn't agree a deal for him now, we are not going to be able to agree one for an older cup tied Snirjder in Jan, or an older Sneijder in summer 2012. It is done and over with imo.

Also.... a jet and a house in Italy? No wonder we pulled out if that is true, surely it can't be.

Who is this Sneijder guy? Would he fit into our midfield?
    Only joking, I reckon you're right Mitch, can't see us going for him again unless we are struggling come January.

Who is this Sneijder guy? Would he fit into our midfield?
    Only joking, I reckon you're right Mitch, can't see us going for him again unless we are struggling come January.

Even if we are struggling, I would imagine Europa League players, or those that may not have even been in that, would be the targets. Only way Sneijder is a Jan target is if Inter Milan fail to qualify from their CL group, and I would be utterly shocked if they didn't stroll that group, even if they will have to contend with Joe Cole....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

I reckon Modric is going to be the big target of speculation in January - won't be cup tied. Same with players like De Rossi.

I thought players who played in the Europa League were cup tied for the CL, no? It could be the other way around, but I'm pretty sure there is a rule about something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Modric is the dream for me,perfect fit but by all accounts he wants to stay in London,cannot see Spuds getting 40 million off Chelsea in January.
    Hopefully a bid around 25-28 million might get Levvy thinking..

eugeneious wrote: »

I thought players who played in the Europa League were cup tied for the CL, no? It could be the other way around, but I'm pretty sure there is a rule about something like that.
    Europa lge players can play in latter stages of the CL. Torres played Europa lge for Liverpool and CL for Chelsea last season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

dahat wrote: »
    Modric is the dream for me,perfect fit but by all accounts he wants to stay in London,cannot see Spuds getting 40 million off Chelsea in January.
    Hopefully a bid around 25-28 million might get Levvy thinking..

Levy generally doesn't do much thinking about anything.

If utd go in for Modric as well it's juts going to up the price, because chances are Chelsea will as well.
    Hopefully we get him for under 30 million (in January or at the end of the season), but if you bid as well it's probably ~35 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

Everyone seems to talk about needing a great player to make the perfect team,
    How many perfect teams have ever existed? Quite few.
    Teams generally struggle in one are of the pitch and that for united is midfield.
    I am sure Fergie knows that our midfield is not the best but look at our defense, and our attack. If our midfield can be hold up somewhat decent then our offense will do the business. That's is the reason I think we didn't get a midfield signing, imo Fergie is only gonna buy someone that he is certain will improve our midfield to a top class level but until then we rely on our attacking powers to win us games.
    After all, I'm only 20 so my memory might not be the best, but did Uniteds success in the 90's come at a score more then the other team kind of way? United always conceded but scored a lot more.

With regards to DeGea, He has made mistakes and he will be embarrassed by them but He is a United player and needs to be supported by the fans, Not written off already. He's 20 years old ffs, remember when you were 20? what were you're worries?? Mostly who you would get the shift off next! Now He has to face a new style of league, and with millions of judging eyes watching his every step, its going to be hard but Help the lad and support him and he will come good, He wouldn't be here if he didn't have the talent and if you dont agree with that, i would suggest going off and doing a managerial course, because surely you know more then Fergie??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Btwndeyes wrote: »
    and if you dont agree with that, i would suggest going off and doing a managerial course, because surely you know more then Fergie??

What sort of point is that ? Considering it's a discussion board surely the thought of all agreeing with what Fergie does kinda negates the point of forming/having your own opinion on all things United ?

Fergie is always right and we should become managers if we think otherwise, is kinda foolish imo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

d22ontour wrote: »
    What sort of point is that ? Considering it's a discussion board surely the thought of all agreeing with what Fergie does kinda negates the point of forming/having your own opinion on all things United ?

Fergie is always right and we should become managers if we think otherwise, is kinda foolish imo..

My point was to say That after 3 games for some people to say DeGea isn't good enough for United is ludicrous, He wouldn't be here if he did not have the potential and I'm sure Fergie did a lot of research before buying him. I have no problem people discussing his mistakes and saying he needs to improve on them, he does, but its people who are saying he shouldn't be there at all is who it was directed at.

Edit, ya i might have put it badly.

It's the 4th of September and we're still using the August thread.

Mods, ye're slacking! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

It's the 4th of September and we're still using the August thread.

Mods, ye're slacking! :P

Fergie time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Someone get me a private jet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

My point was to say That after 3 games for some people to say DeGea isn't good enough for United is ludicrous, He wouldn't be here if he did not have the potential and I'm sure Fergie did a lot of research before buying him. I have no problem people discussing his mistakes and saying he needs to improve on them, he does, but its people who are saying he shouldn't be there at all is who it was directed at.

Do you agree equally that three games in (with a bad mistake in each) it is also ludicrious for people to say he could be a top class addition & Utds number 1 for the next 10 years etc?

Cause it appears people are happy to have people prematurely gush positive judgements, but not negative ones. Bit stupid IMO.

Do you agree equally that three games in (with a bad mistake in each) it is also ludicrious for people to say he could be a top class addition & Utds number 1 for the next 10 years etc?

Cause it appears people are happy to have people prematurely gush positive judgements, but not negative ones. Bit stupid IMO.
    As a matter of interest, who would the anti de gea people have bought instead? City were never going to sell us given, neuer was never a realistic option so who else was there?

I've no idea tbh.

As a matter of interest, who would the anti de gea people have bought instead? City were never going to sell us given, neuer was never a realistic option so who else was there?

Stekelenberg was being touted as our first choice by Muelensteen (sp?).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

No, its not stupid, its called being a fan of your club and its players. Of course most Utd fans will be overly positive about our budding young talent. Cleverley is another player who many of us are gushing about.

To give an example:

I'm a Utd fan and I am quietly confident De Gea will come good for us. I recognise that he has made mistakes and accept he will probably make more, but taking everything into account I think he will improve to become a good keeper.

To give another example:

I personally can't see Andy Carroll doing it at Liverpool but plenty Pool fans are choosing to have faith in him despite so far failing to impress. Are they also being stupid?

Come off it Alan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Iker Casillas

He will soon be fighting for my place. He's a great keeper.

We have to take care of him because he is the future. He is 20-years-old. He will pension us all off.

I hope he does great things for his club and the Spanish national team.

He will learn a lot from the fact he has started so young. I had it as well.

The people of Atletico Madrid have to be so proud that such a great keeper has come out of their academy.

Everyone has seen what he's been doing and praising his performances. Watching him reminds me a lot of when I started 12 years ago.

Between us all, we have to look after him. He has a long road in front of him and when he least expects it he will get a call-up to the national team.

I'm not suddenly discovering De Gea now everyone has seen what he is capable of doing. He's a good professional and a great person and that for me is very important.

When you hear the likes of Iker Casillas heaping that sort of praise on him, you can't help but feel the lad will be something special and will be a great goalkeeper for years to come.

Quandary wrote: »
    No, its not stupid, its called being a fan of your club and its players. Of course most Utd fans will be overly positive about our budding young talent. Cleverley is another player who many of us are gushing about.

To give an example:

I'm a Utd fan and I am quietly confident De Gea will come good for us. I recognise that he has made mistakes and accept he will probably make more, but taking everything into account I think he will improve to become a good keeper.

To give another example:

I personally can't see Andy Carroll doing it at Liverpool but plenty Pool fans are choosing to have faith in him despite so far failing to impress. Are they also being stupid?

Come off it Alan.

Comparing a goalkeeper to an outfield player is very different.

And in case you don't read the Liverpool thread there is regularly plenty of discussion regarding Andy Carroll. It's accepted & to be expected. Some will think he will be excellent for us, others think he won't be good enough.

If you want only positive discussion or conclusions about players, this forum probably ain't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

And in case you don't read the Liverpool thread there is regularly plenty of discussion regarding Andy Carroll. It's accepted & to be expected. Some will think he will be excellent for us, others think he won't be good enough.

If you want only positive discussion or conclusions about players, this forum probably ain't for you.

I read the Pool thread quite regularly actually and Carroll has his ardent defenders along with his doubters but I guarantee he had far more defenders after only fielding 3 performances.

Regarding the bit in bold - we have the same here in this thread. Some supporters of De Gea like myself, some more skeptical and then one who believes he will be an unmitigated disaster.

I'm happy to listen to criticisms of our players, it promotes good discussion, but not when it becomes tiresome circular rhetoric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Not as much as you are trying to make out.
    If one is not scoring he will get the criticism,if the other is conceding he will get it.
    It's not at all ridiculous to say either can go on to be great for years.

In De Geas case and what pisses me off more than anything,is people are judging him as if he just played his first 3 competitive games in his life.
    He has been first choice at Atletico and highly rated there,if he was making a serious mistake every game why would they continue with him in goal?

In my opinion he just needs a bit of time to bed in,lose the nerves and the mistakes will soon dry up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

To me this conversation/dicussion/argument is going around in circles...

De Gea has made mistakes and in my opinion will cost us another 4-7 points this season. Fergie will know when to stick with him and when not. Fergie makes mistakes too but I as have others faith in him that if the time comes De Gea needs to be taken out of the team he'll do so.

I don't konw what else has to be dicussed? He clearly won't be dropped yet and we can hope he'll only improve and be more consistent. We can continue to regurgutate the same stuff over and over again, but we won't really know or be able to have a decent argument on the subject until a few more games have been played.

Whats left to say? He's 20, he's in a foreign country, 3 games only in he's made mistakes (at least one a game), Fergie is sticking with him so far...I'm waiting for United to drop points and De Gea to make a mistake in that game for the tabloids to jump on him.

I think for now we should all draw a line in the sand for now as after 3 opening games only its not enough to page after page on how good/bad a keeper this guy is. He could possibly just need more time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Trilla wrote: »
    To me this conversation/dicussion/argument is going around in circles...

De Gea has made mistakes and in my opinion will cost us another 4-7 points this season. Fergie will know when to stick with him and when not. Fergie makes mistakes too but I as have others faith in him that if the time comes De Gea needs to be taken out of the team he'll do so.

I don't konw what else has to be dicussed? He clearly won't be dropped yet and we can hope he'll only improve and be more consistent. We can continue to regurgutate the same stuff over and over again, but we won't really know or be able to have a decent argument on the subject until a few more games have been played.

Whats left to say? He's 20, he's in a foreign country, 3 games only in he's made mistakes (at least one a game), Fergie is sticking with him so far...I'm waiting for United to drop points and De Gea to make a mistake in that game for the tabloids to jump on him.

I think for now we should all draw a line in the sand for now as after 3 opening games only its not enough to page after page on how good/bad a keeper this guy is. He could possibly just need more time...

He hasn't cost us any points yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    The Manchester United fans I know get behind their team and will give full support to the 11 men of the field

MANUTD99, with all due respect your statements are ridiculous (as are the thanks that they elicit from the usual suspects).

Real fans question what's going on and want the best for their club. They don't wander around like blind lemmings and sycophants.

I don't want to sacrifice success this season for some intangible future success that may or may not come in the future. I want both. We should want the best right now and down the line.

As for the bizarre praise for de Gea's "footwork" and distribution, it's just the usual suspects clutching at straws. The guy's United career is basically 5 minute old and he's a catalogue of errors that someone like Shay Given hasn't amassed in a entire career. The guy's been a shambles - A horror show in the charity shield, a horror show against West Brom, flapping like a bird against Spurs, Higuita like madness against Van der Vaart and a howler against Arsenal. His Atletico career is meaningless in the context of his United career. This is a different level. As I said before, citing his "success" at Atletico is just the usual suspects in this thread showboating and trying to come across as superior football fans because they've too much time on their hands and watch Atletico Madrid games.

The anti Shay Given stuff is hilarious TBH...he's looked like God since joining Villa while our "great white hope" looks like Taibi Mark II. And we're told that "real United fans" get behind the team no matter what. B..locks to that. Real United fans question and want the best.

Honest to God, some of you people are worse that the Vichy French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

United masters are playing on SS1 now, Andy Cole and Roy Keane playing for United :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Here's the problem...

Edurne6-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    United masters are playing on SS1 now, Andy Cole and Roy Keane playing for United :)

Keano certainly hasn't lost his competitive edge :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Disgraceful defending from Cole there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sell De Gea, sign Pilkington

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Gridlock wrote: »
    Here's the problem...

and she is?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

and she is?????
    De Gea's girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

His Atletico career is meaningless in the context of his United career. This is a different level.
    The anti Shay Given stuff is hilarious TBH...he's looked like God since joining Villa while our "great white hope" looks like Taibi Mark II. And we're told that "real United fans" get behind the team no matter what. B..locks to that. Real United fans question and want the best.

You dismiss his Madrid career claiming it's not on the same level as United but then mention Given at Villa ? :confused:
    Bit of a contradiction there, no ?

Villa are nowhere near the level of Madrid even when Madrid are having a poor season.Given has done nothing of worth in his career on the basis of Madrid being not on the same level as United, so ? Celtic,Newcastle and City from a few seasons ago are hardly comparable to United standards when looking for a keeper ?

One world class keeper made a move this season and most others probably wouldn't move to United.We have signed 1 world class player in Fergies reign and that didn't work out, what makes you so sure a keeper who plied most of his trade at lower level clubs would make the grade at United ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement