Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Why is the praise bizarre Sean?

Unmerited? Or just bizarre because people are praising an unmitigated disaster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

MANUTD99 wrote: »

MANUTD99, with all due respect your statements are ridiculous (as are the thanks that they elicit from the usual suspects).

Real fans question what's going on and want the best for their club. They don't wander around like blind lemmings and sycophants.

I don't want to sacrifice success this season for some intangible future success that may or may not come in the future. I want both. We should want the best right now and down the line.

As for the bizarre praise for de Gea's "footwork" and distribution, it's just the usual suspects clutching at straws. The guy's United career is basically 5 minute old and he's a catalogue of errors that someone like Shay Given hasn't amassed in a entire career. The guy's been a shambles - A horror show in the charity shield, a horror show against West Brom, flapping like a bird against Spurs, Higuita like madness against Van der Vaart and a howler against Arsenal. His Atletico career is meaningless in the context of his United career. This is a different level. As I said before, citing his "success" at Atletico is just the usual suspects in this thread showboating and trying to come across as superior football fans because they've too much time on their hands and watch Atletico Madrid games.

The anti Shay Given stuff is hilarious TBH...he's looked like God since joining Villa while our "great white hope" looks like Taibi Mark II. And we're told that "real United fans" get behind the team no matter what. B..locks to that. Real United fans question and want the best.

Honest to God, some of you people are worse that the Vichy French.

i agree with certain parts here, he has a point on the whole real fans want whats best for the club.

we have quite a few hardcore believers here that jump to the defense of any united player under even the smallest of criticisms, de gea deserves most of the slack he's getting lets face it lads he's made some very basic mistakes, i don't think he's had a game yet for us where he didn't make a blunder of some sort.

but i do want to see him do well and i do think he is a good distributer of the ball aswell as being comfortable on it, its the actual goalkeeping which is the worrying part and obviously the most important.

its the same thing as the cm, we actually have people on here who really believe united have a strong cm and don't need to improve the area while just about every expert and pundit in football highlight the fact we do!.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I love DDG. I love him even more for how stupid he makes Bateman look.

There's a couple of shots in there that he'd have not saved a few weeks ago. He's improving already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

G.K. wrote: »

There's a couple of shots in there that he'd have not saved a few weeks ago. He's improving already.
    Maybe we should move him to centre mid . After watching that video he passes the ball like a barca player !!!!! Bateman is really over doing it when he says de gea is as bad as taibi, laughable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

MANUTD99 wrote: »

MANUTD99, with all due respect your statements are ridiculous (as are the thanks that they elicit from the usual suspects).

Real fans question what's going on and want the best for their club. They don't wander around like blind lemmings and sycophants.

I don't want to sacrifice success this season for some intangible future success that may or may not come in the future. I want both. We should want the best right now and down the line.

As for the bizarre praise for de Gea's "footwork" and distribution, it's just the usual suspects clutching at straws. The guy's United career is basically 5 minute old and he's a catalogue of errors that someone like Shay Given hasn't amassed in a entire career. The guy's been a shambles - A horror show in the charity shield, a horror show against West Brom, flapping like a bird against Spurs, Higuita like madness against Van der Vaart and a howler against Arsenal. His Atletico career is meaningless in the context of his United career. This is a different level. As I said before, citing his "success" at Atletico is just the usual suspects in this thread showboating and trying to come across as superior football fans because they've too much time on their hands and watch Atletico Madrid games.

The anti Shay Given stuff is hilarious TBH...he's looked like God since joining Villa while our "great white hope" looks like Taibi Mark II. And we're told that "real United fans" get behind the team no matter what. B..locks to that. Real United fans question and want the best.

Honest to God, some of you people are worse that the Vichy French.

Why didn't any top 4 team ever look to buy shay given, why did he get dumped when man city got to that level? It's one thing to put in decent performances for the likes of villa and another thing to be good enough for united.

Tim Howard and ben foster couldn't cut it at united but were good players for lower teams. Maybe ddg will end up the same but nobody knows yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Guys, you're clutching at straws. This "de Gea's footwork and distribution are great" stuff is utterly ridiculous. As is Lordgoat's bizarre claim that de Gea makes me look stupid. De Gea is one of the biggest if not the biggest joke in English football right now. The tabloids are queuing up to destroy him. Guess what? If you're a real United fan and de Gea's not the one for us the right thing to do is to throw him to the wolves. If he costs us the league this season (which I fear her will) he doesn't deserve our support.

Good distribution is irrelevant if the goalkeeper in question is dropping clangers in every game. I'm also surprised that the Van der Vaart incident is being glossed over so easily. So what if the Spurs guy ended up fouling him? De Gea's attempt at a little trick was laughable and worrying.

If we're gonna compete with City and Barca we need a safe pair of hands, not a callow youth. The bluffers in this thread cite de Gea's achievements in Spain. They are irrelevant. He's at United now and he's averaging one howler a game and infecting the back four with uncertainty.

Guys, you're clutching at straws. This "de Gea's footwork and distribution are great" stuff is utterly ridiculous.

Why? Because it's a good aspect of his game? Or for a proper reason?

Sean, some of your posts countering people's arguments in other debates have been excellent and well though out but you are making a mountain out of a molehill here. De Gea is improving already.

And as for 'and infecting the back four with uncertainty.' - that's just hyperbolic scaremongering tripe. Prove he's doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The tabloids are queuing up to destroy him. Guess what? If you're a real United fan and de Gea's not the one for us the right thing to do is to throw him to the wolves. If he costs us the league this season (which I fear her will) he doesn't deserve our support.

You support the players on your team no matter what. You're coming across as just a glory hunter.
    Good distribution is irrelevant if the goalkeeper in question is dropping clangers in every game. I'm also surprised that the Van der Vaart incident is being glossed over so easily. So what if the Spurs guy ended up fouling him? De Gea's attempt at a little trick was laughable and worrying.

I like the fact that he had the confidence to do it. Van Der Vaart fouled him because De Gea actually pulled off the trick.
    If we're gonna compete with City and Barca we need a safe pair of hands, not a callow youth. The bluffers in this thread cite de Gea's achievements in Spain. They are irrelevant. He's at United now and he's averaging one howler a game and infecting the back four with uncertainty.

City are competing with us. We are their aim, they are not our aim.

His achievements in Spain are worth noting. How else do you build an opinion on a player? Certainly not on just the previous 4 games the lad has played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Guys, you're clutching at straws. This "de Gea's footwork and distribution are great" stuff is utterly ridiculous. As is Lordgoat's bizarre claim that de Gea makes me look stupid. De Gea is one of the biggest if not the biggest joke in English football right now. The tabloids are queuing up to destroy him. Guess what? If you're a real United fan and de Gea's not the one for us the right thing to do is to throw him to the wolves. If he costs us the league this season (which I fear her will) he doesn't deserve our support.

Do you not think he s shown a big improvement in the last 2 games compared to his first 2? And if so, is it possible that he s settling in and gaining the necessary confidence? Don't forget he also has a 19yr old centre half and 2 other inexperienced defenders in front of him. Hardly ideal for a young keeper trying to settle in to a new club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

If he costs us the league this season (which I fear her will) he doesn't deserve our support.

Terrible attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i take it anyone whose slagging de Gea is only going on a couple of mistakes he's made in the last few games, yeah?

i take it you haven't watched him be the no.1 keeper for a top La Liga club as a teenager?

and seen him perform extremely well while doing so?

or see him be integral to his country winning tournaments at underage level?

yeah, thought so.

he's not started ideally, but writing him off after 4 competitive games; games where he wasn't even that bad, is possibly the most retarded thing i've ever read in any superthread from a team's fan.

and i don't say that lightly.

i reckon you should sell him for £10m and buy Friedel off Spurs. much better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Terrible attitude.

No it isn't. I hated Andy Cole ever since his misses vs West Ham.

I have hated Rio since he got his drugs suspension.

I hated Cantona from the moment he kicked the racist at Wimbledon.

I have hated Antonio Valencia since his miss vs Blackburn.

Exactly like all fans should.

No it isn't. I hated Andy Cole ever since his misses vs West Ham.

I have hated Rio since he got his drugs suspension.

I hated Cantona from the moment he kicked the racist at Wimbledon.

I have hated Antonio Valencia since his miss vs Blackburn.

Exactly like all fans should.

...but you supported them when they were on the pitch in the United jersey regardless, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

He hasn't cost us any points yet?

yes that was a typo sorry, I did go on to say that United hadnt dropped points. thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Cool story bro, cheers for the mega-Lols.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i take it anyone whose slagging de Gea is only going on a couple of mistakes he's made in the last few games, yeah?

i take it you haven't watched him be the no.1 keeper for a top La Liga club as a teenager?

and seen him perform extremely well while doing so?

or see him be integral to his country winning tournaments at underage level?

yeah, thought so.

he's not started ideally, but writing him off after 4 competitive games; games where he wasn't even that bad, is possibly the most retarded thing i've ever read in any superthread from a team's fan.

and i don't say that lightly.

i reckon you should sell him for £10m and buy Friedel off Spurs. much better :)

Well said Ric, but surely Friedel is worth more than 10M?

mars bar wrote: »
    ...but you supported them when they were on the pitch in the United jersey regardless, yes?

No - I have been, or was, screaming SELL THEM FERGIE, SELL THEM, from the second they screwed up. We should have got rid of Rio and brought in Richie Dunne.

No - I have been, or was, screaming SELL THEM FERGIE, SELL THEM, from the second they screwed up. We should have got rid of Rio and brought in Richie Dunne.

Oh wait, my sarcasm detector has just booted up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Can't say the start of his United career has not been a disaster, but the lad needs time. If people are getting on his back this early It will only add to the pressure on him. He just needs a chance. Judge him at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't understand why we're having this discussion, no new information or arguments have emerged since the last time we've had it.

PHB wrote: »
    I don't understand why we're having this discussion, no new information or arguments have emerged since the last time we've had it.

Hernandez to start vs Bolton lads? With Danny unfortunately out a change has to be made. Berba surely will be pissed if its not him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Trilla wrote: »
    Hernandez to start vs Bolton lads? With Danny unfortunately out a change has to be made. Berba surely will be pissed if its not him!

Ya, Hernandez.

He got another match under his belt this weekend with Mexico and got a goal as well.

Berbatov won't be expecting to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Slick, only one person is saying that DeGea is brutal or should be sold etc & everyone is in agreement that he is talking ****e. However there is others who have gone way to far in the other direction in an effort counter act that. Those people have come out with equally ridiculous statements.

Blatter wrote: »
    Ya, Hernandez.

He got another match under his belt this weekend with Mexico and got a goal as well.

Berbatov won't be expecting to start.

I'd really like to see Berbatov in this system, if he could adjust his game slightly, in terms of increased mobility, his passing skill would work wonders with the team if he has runners around him.

I'd really like to see Berbatov in this system, if he could adjust his game slightly, in terms of increased mobility, his passing skill would work wonders with the team if he has runners around him.

I agree PHB, but I doubt it will happen.

3 points away to Bolton would be massive.

Anyone think Carrick/Fletcher will take Cleverlys place for it?

• Advertisement

I think the only way he'd be really effective in the system is if he plays instead of Rooney, which isn't going to happen a whole lot. And Rooney is just too good at the moment to remove from his current number 10 position to revert him to the number 9 role.

We need a centre forward playing that will stretch defenses and burst his bollix off getting into the box. Someone to play on the shoulder. I think it's essential to have this type of player in order get the best out of both Rooney and our wingers.

Unfortunately for Berbatov, he just isn't that player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Berbatov would slow it right down, as would Carrick imo

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Berbatov would slow it right down, as would Carrick imo

so Fletch and Chico to start vs Bolton? I can see Cleverly being left out (not that he did anything wrong) and Berba getting the sulks on!

Giggs and Park are in line for a start as they should be fresh after their international break.

Davies will be sure to give de Gea are rough time aswell.

It'll probably be the same team that played Arsenal though, except Hernandez for Welbeck and Ferdinand for Evans/Jones.

Hard to change a team around too much that just won 8-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The tabloids are queuing up to destroy him.

Indeed. Point proven M'Lord.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I haven't been in this thread for a while and when I come back I see the DeGea debate is still raging, unbelievable really. Good ongoing communication between a keeper and his defenders is an ingredient of all top defenses. Now when you consider we have a young lad who can't speak the language, I think he has done fantastic. I would have expected a lot more mix-ups to have occurred and the fact they they haven't, is a testament to the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Slick, only one person is saying that DeGea is brutal or should be sold etc & everyone is in agreement that he is talking ****e. However there is others who have gone way to far in the other direction in an effort counter act that. Those people have come out with equally ridiculous statements.

agreed.

and if i'd seen those posts, i'd have ridiculed them as well.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    agreed.

and if i'd seen those posts, i'd have ridiculed them as well.

There was one right above your post this morning!
    Now when you consider we have a young lad who can't speak the language, I think he has done fantastic.

He has done fantastic so far?! REALLY?!

Mods, seriously, is there some reason we can't have a separate thread for the De Gea debate? It's getting pretty ludicrous at this stage and really hampering at least my enjoyment of this superthread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd say De Gea is easily the best keeper in the world right now.

It's good too because before the last game I thought he was the worst keeper in the world .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Mods, seriously, is there some reason we can't have a separate thread for the De Gea debate? It's getting pretty ludicrous at this stage and really hampering at least my enjoyment of this superthread.

Could not agree more with this.

There is already a thread going on called "Lucas fu*king Leiva" - started by you Alan if I am not mistaken?

That thread was started because the Lucas bickering was getting annoying and imo, was just being used as an indirect method of trolling. The Lucas thread is over 700 posts at this stage, and is still getting hits & replies.

In the Utd superthread, if one was to go back im sure we have enough rabble about De Gea to fill at least half of that Lucas thread. Surely this is an indication it could do with a thread of its own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yup 3 games, top of the league. One clean sheet and a peno save. This is all down to De Gea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Surely it just needs someone to start a thread for David "f*cking" De Gea. I am too lazy to carry out this task sadly :(

Mr Alan wrote an excellent OP for Lucas maybe as one of the most frequent posters on the Utd superthread he could give it a go. ;)

We could just use this, which was created to get the irritating amount of posts our of this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73825290

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

We could just use this, which was created to get the irritating amount of posts our of this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73825290

OK, so its been tried and locked up. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

lads if you look at his "howlers" they weren't that bad

what was it, two shots that he should have gotten down to save. yeah ok, they were bad, he should have saved them but they were similar to the mighty van der Sar in the CL final (messi's shot)

De Gea's reactions were a bit slow for something that should be standard. I'm sure he was just a bit rusty and the spring in his step will come back.

I'm sure they're drilling him relentlessly at utd. On the plus side, as people have said, his distribution looks class and looks comfortable with the ball at his feet. People mention that van der Vart incident, but he was charging straight at De Gea, who skinned him and was then fouled :p

The footwork/control thing must be a product of Spanish coaching. I'm gonna stop chatting about this now, it's headwrecking. I'm looking forward to the next game to see how he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

DDG couldn't do much about this one...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

smokedeels wrote: »
    DDG couldn't do much about this one...

Oh ffs, I'm outa here until matchday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Quandary wrote: »
    Could not agree more with this.

There is already a thread going on called "Lucas fu*king Leiva" - started by you Alan if I am not mistaken?

That thread was started because the Lucas bickering was getting annoying and imo, was just being used as an indirect method of trolling. The Lucas thread is over 700 posts at this stage, and is still getting hits & replies.

In the Utd superthread, if one was to go back im sure we have enough rabble about De Gea to fill at least half of that Lucas thread. Surely this is an indication it could do with a thread of its own?

the Water DeGEAt thread, please set it up/allow it.
    I've just started on boards soccer and I'm losing the will...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I used to love reading this thread, now it's become a chore to read!

Are Manchester United really that much better than Liverpool?

According to this article, they're not.

Don't forget to click on the 'continue reading on page 2'.

Livened up my morning anyway:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Agger – 8 & Carragher – 8 v Ferdinand – 7 & Vidic – 9

Giving the cruise ship an 8...

A balanced article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

The article's a joke, but every club has their share of these type of fans. It wasn't long ago I saw someone here claim Utd were playing a brand of football which Barca would envy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Holy God, liverpool fans aren't deluded at all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Suarez – 10 & Carroll – 7 v Rooney – 9 & Hernandez – 7

Yeah right.
    Meireles – 9

Wonder if he still rate Raul so highly? Or if he's gone into bitter Liverpool fan mode.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement