Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Sickened, was in Tesco earlier, seen Nevilles book and picked it up, but they didn't have it in their system so she couldn't sell it to me.

I was very upset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    You sound like a true glory hunter.

I'm sure any proper fan would happily sacrifice success for one season to have a great goalkeeper blooded in for the next 10-15 years

It's neither "glory hunting" nor "being a bad fan" to have the cop on to realise that you can have success now and in the future. It's not necessary to have a clown in goal right now in the hope that he'll somehow be world class down the line.

De Gea has shown absolutely nothing to indicate that he'll be United's goalkeeper for the next 10 - 15 years. That's crazy talk. De Gea's shown nothing to indicate that he'll be United's number one 'keeper at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

mars bar wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if Evra doesn't realise he's not playing up to standard himself. He said at the end of last season it wasn't one of his better seasons in a United shirt.

I think he might have lost some love for the game after the whole France/World Cup fiasco.

I don't think it's a question of him rediscovering from, it's a question of him being bothered to track back when he's supposed to and put a shift in.

His play going forward his still very good imo. His link up play and runs forward are a major asset to the team. It's perhaps not quite as good as it was 07-09, but it's pretty damn good.

But defensively, he doesn't seem to give a shít sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Blatter wrote: »
    I don't think it's a question of him rediscovering from, it's a question of him being bothered to track back when he's supposed to and put a shift in.

His play going forward his still very good imo. His link up play and runs forward are a major asset to the team. It's perhaps not quite as good as it was 07-09, but it's pretty damn good.

But defensively, he doesn't seem to give a shít sometimes.

Yeah he's still good going forward, he won us the penalty didn't he? He looked very threatening against Arsenal and his link up play with Young is great.

Young is a workhorse and does his defensive duties well. I think Evra might be trying to take advantage of that! :p

Yeah he's still good going forward, he won us the penalty didn't he? He looked very threatening against Arsenal and his link up play with Young is great.

Young is a workhorse and does his defensive duties well. I think Evra might be trying to take advantage of that! :p

He certainly did, he's still very good going forward which makes his attitude towards tracking back all the more frustrating.

On another note, the our possession stats for our last 4 games are; 56% v Manchester City( v a 3 man midfield!), 65% v West Brom, 60% v Tottenham and 59% v Arsenal.

That's pretty damn impressive and I can't ever remember United having so much of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

On another note, the our possession stats for our last 4 games are; 56% v Manchester City( v a 3 man midfield!), 65% v West Brom, 60% v Tottenham and 59% v Arsenal.

That's pretty damn impressive and I can't ever remember United having so much of the ball.

But Blatter wasn't Carrick not playing for these matches? How could this be?

?url=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F_ziErj0-jfyc%2FTDyZbZY7HuI%2FAAAAAAAAApo%2FsSN-Z-ZpeUg%2Fs400%2Fimposibru%2521%2521%2521.jpg&hmac=559b2f188f5180d9ee0adb87d69f4ea2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ah damn have we stopped discussing De Gea? :eek: :(

#MUFC academy coach Phil Brogan on Ravel Morrison: "He's without doubt the best talent ever to come through the academy."

High praised indeed. Hopefully this kid can sort himself out break into the first team next season.

Here's a BBC Radio 5 discussion about him for those that aren't that familiar with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

#MUFC academy coach Phil Brogan on Ravel Morrison: "He's without doubt the best talent ever to come through the academy."

High praised indeed. Hopefully this kid can sort himself out break into the first team next season.

Here's a BBC Radio 5 discussion about him for those that aren't that familiar with him.

Sounds like the lad has reached a fork in the road, lets just hope he takes the right path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sounds like the lad has reached a fork in the road, lets just hope he takes the right path.
    He reached it a long time ago to be honest. From what I can gather, he is trying to concentrate on the game and grow up - but he keeps getting called in by the police every so often, which is never a good sign. I really have no idea what will come of the lad. He IS incredibly talented, but he wouldn't be the first or last player to throw away their talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Please do me a favour and stop quoting Sean Bateman as quoting him undo's the effectiveness of the ignore facility. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Trilla wrote: »
    ah damn have we stopped discussing De Gea? :eek: :(

Almost, until you brought it up again:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Just on Evra going forward.

He does get forward well, but one thing that annoys me is his final ball/decision making sometimes.
    Evra gets into unbelievable positions be it for a cross or more often than not, a shot and makes a complete balls of it.
    He should be scoring more goals to be honest. I'm not saying he has to be prolific but if he at least hits the target instead of making a complete hash of it, the team would still have a chance of a rebound and not a goal kick.

Anyway, defensively, I think Evra has been a bit of a weak link at times in the last 18 months.
    Don't get me wrong, I really like him as a player and he seems like a pretty decent fella as well, but the amount of times he is caught out of position, let's runners in behind him too easy and frankly, cant be arsed, is shocking.
    I can see a few goals, and penalties, being conceded by Paddy this year if he doesn't pull the finger out.

Tough game for Fabio to come in against Bolton if he was to play. Possibly shift Evans to LB with Rio being fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Just on Evra, at times I think its very obvious that he started his career as a left winger as he has exceptional pace and can run down the wings very well. Then other times its obvious why he did not succeed in this role as his shot taking/ final ball can be very frustrating. Somehow when he works with Park down that wing its very good play, but a lot of times its a waste. His form in the last year and a bit has been worrying, he needs to buck up and make it fast. otherwise I can see Fergie dropping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

If he isn't dropped it would signal to me that neither Evans or Fabio are considered good enough at LB. It would make it our only position without genuine competition for a starting place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

He reached it a long time ago to be honest. From what I can gather, he is trying to concentrate on the game and grow up - but he keeps getting called in by the police every so often, which is never a good sign. I really have no idea what will come of the lad. He IS incredibly talented, but he wouldn't be the first or last player to throw away their talent.

The longer he stays out of trouble the quicker the police will stop calling him in...
    At the moment they are still in his affairs as investigations take time to sort out.
    Longer he stays out of bother the less the police will need him,also the company he is keeping is obviously bad so he must sort that out too..

Have any of you seen this Ravel Morrison in action? Because if he is as good as people are saying, I would love to see him sample some first team football this season. Giving him a taste of the big time might hopefully help him focus his talent properly. Of course there is no guarantees, but I wonder how much Fergie is monitoring his situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Have any of you seen this Ravel Morrison in action? Because if he is as good as people are saying, I would love to see him sample some first team football this season. Giving him a taste of the big time might hopefully help him focus his talent properly. Of course there is no guarantees, but I wonder how much Fergie is monitoring his situation?

I would imagine if Ravel is as good as he is reported to be, then Fergie would be keeping a very close eye on the situation. After all, he could be a future star for our midfield, the very area we need to develop more.

Sickened, was in Tesco earlier, seen Nevilles book and picked it up, but they didn't have it in their system so she couldn't sell it to me.

I was very upset.

Hoping to pick one up today! Did you get yours yet and how much is it in Tesco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Book Depository have it online, hardback version for a little over €11 if you can wait for it to be delivered.
    I have it ordered, should hopefully be here by Friday/early next week.

Even though friends have sent me links for an e version of the book, I'd much rather have a book in my hand, than trying to read it online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Saw a lot of him last season. His quality is there for all to see. He played a major part in the FA Youth Cup success. Himself, Tunners and Pogba really were the stars of the show. A lot of people using the word "glide" when referring to how he beats opponents and it really is the best way to describe it. Hes so comfortable with the ball at his feet and his touch is supreme.

Whats going on this season, I don't know. Seen plenty of Pogba already yet nothing of Morrison. Whenever he disappears you worry hes got himself into trouble. If it wasn't for his problems off the field I would say it was a nail on certainty he would make it into the first team but unfortunately thats not the case.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Saw a lot of him last season. His quality is there for all to see. He played a major part in the FA Youth Cup success. Himself, Tunners and Pogba really were the stars of the show. A lot of people using the word "glide" when referring to how he beats opponents and it really is the best way to describe it. Hes so comfortable with the ball at his feet and his touch is supreme.

Whats going on this season, I don't know. Seen plenty of Pogba already yet nothing of Morrison. Whenever he disappears you worry hes got himself into trouble. If it wasn't for his problems off the field I would say it was a nail on certainty he would make it into the first team but unfortunately thats not the case.

The guy on twitter that's known for following the youths/reserves quite closely has said Morrison has been injured the past few weeks. Nothing sinister about his absence apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

The guy on twitter that's known for following the youths/reserves quite closely has said Morrison has been injured the past few weeks. Nothing sinister about his absence apparently.

Rarely am I glad to hear someone is injured but this is one of those occasions. Info on him has been hard to come by this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Fletcher to start for Scotland again today. I hope his fitness is up to another game so soon after the czech game. If he comes through it would be a nice boost for him. Fingers crossed.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Fletcher to start for Scotland again today. I hope his fitness is up to another game so soon after the czech game. If he comes through it would be a nice boost for him. Fingers crossed.

Has he beefed up? Because he didn't look well even when he started the come back from that viral thingy. He definitely looked like he needed to get some pounds added on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheTownie wrote: »

He is injured as far as I know, at the moment. Supposed to be nearing fitness again.

The reports of him being injured could be incorrect - i can't find the article i saw this in. I think it was called 'Where is Morrison' or something similar to that and was basically passing comment on the fact every reserve and youth game is dominated by either questions on how Ravel did (when he plays) or where is he, when he is no where to be seen - and that it isn't healthy for the lad to be subject to so much attention. Also commenting on the 'well wishers' of his on Twitter that would be constantly offering him patronising advice. Was posted in the last week or so, but as I say, I can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

He is injured as far as I know, at the moment. Supposed to be nearing fitness again.

The reports of him being injured could be incorrect - i can't find the article i saw this in. I think it was called 'Where is Morrison' or something similar to that and was basically passing comment on the fact every reserve and youth game is dominated by either questions on how Ravel did (when he plays) or where is he, when he is no where to be seen - and that it isn't healthy for the lad to be subject to so much attention. Also commenting on the 'well wishers' of his on Twitter that would be constantly offering him patronising advice. Was posted in the last week or so, but as I say, I can't find it.

I was watching one of the academy or reserve games in the last couple of weeks, and I am fairly certain both himself and Pogba were on the sidelines playing about with a ball. Actually I think it may well have been the academy loss to Portsmouth and Paddy made a comment about it being good of them to come to watch even though they werent playing. They were both in runners not boots. So it is quite possible he is injured, he is definitely still in and around the club though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ravel Morrison is without fail, one of the brightest talents under the age of 20 in the English game today…yet also perhaps one of the most fragile.

Ravel Morrison has made his Manchester United debut, won the FA Youth Cup, and has played for England at U16, U17, and most recently (as of 2010) U18 level. He can play with his left. He can play with his right. He can shoot from distance. He can take on players. Bottom line is, he impresses. Beyond belief. Yet, for all his blessings as a footballer – Ravel Morrison is one fluffed line away from jail time…

Like any young prodigious talent in England, the media will automatically generate a profile that that player must live up to…or die by. In Ravel‘s case, being that prodigy, every little thing he does is picked over with a fine toothcomb, by not just the media but fans alike. People read forum threads from from behind their fingers, cringing in anticipation of what they might read about Morrison. Rumours swirl on Twitter about where Ravel’s been and what he’s supposedly been doing. It’s a like a morbid game of Where’s Wally?.

Being that he’s only 18 years old, the manifestation of these rumours, and the “help” people lend to him on Twitter could certainly hurt more than help. Yes, he needs “better friends”, and yes he needs to “just focus on football”, but nobody – except his club – is giving him the chance to do just that.

Having last been seen in a preseason match against Llallani, after coming on in the 58th minute, the internet is abuzz for every Reserve fixture about where Ravel Morrison is. Well, he’s not in jail, and he’s not six feet under. So where is Ravel Morrison? Well – it’s been confirmed Morrison is currently injured and in the process of making his long awaited comeback in the next few weeks. On August 20th, Morrison was seen kicking about before the Manchester United Academy match. Since then, he’s been kept under wraps by those at Carrington HQ…and quite rightly so.

Referral orders, broken mobile phones, witness intimidation, whatever. Forget about it. Manchester United are doing the right thing by protecting, guiding, and talking to Ravel Morrison.

Ravel Morrison might be on an everlasting precipice with the whisper for him ending up a ‘could have been’ nudging him ever closer to that great fall, but if one of England‘s brightest lights is to properly shine, then fans must trust in football’s modern day patriarch Sir Alex Ferguson, his club, and just let the boy play his game.

To steal a line of Liverpudlian wisdom on behalf of a talented Mancunian – just “let it be“…

http://www.englandfootballblog.com/2011/09/01/ravel-morrison-where-is-he/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Has he beefed up? Because he didn't look well even when he started the come back from that viral thingy. He definitely looked like he needed to get some pounds added on.

According to himself, he is at his heaviest now. Weighs more now than ever.

Just finished watching the National Geographic documentary about the Munich Air tragedy and Harry Gregg. I thought it was quite interesting but could have done with another hour or so. Harry Gregg comes across as a decent modest guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

nicklauski wrote: »
    Even though friends have sent me links for an e version of the book, I'd much rather have a book in my hand, than trying to read it online.

could you send those links on please? I would like to give it a glance over! cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

killwill wrote: »
    Just finished watching the National Geographic documentary about the Munich Air tragedy and Harry Gregg. I thought it was quite interesting but could have done with another hour or so. Harry Gregg comes across as a decent modest guy.

Any link for that if you watched it online?

killwill wrote: »

I saw that the first time it was on and it's really good. It's so harrowing to think of the images that live with him forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah PM us the links for the ebook, I'll just stick it on the kindle

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah PM us the links for the ebook, I'll just stick it on the kindle

Well law-de-daw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well law-de-daw!

It pays for itself if you don't mind downloading books!

I've got 25,652..

markc1184 wrote: »
    Any link for that if you watched it online?

Nope Sky+'d it. Sorry.

If you get the chance it is well worth a look though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

nicklauski wrote: »
    Book Depository have it online, hardback version for a little over €11 if you can wait for it to be delivered.
    I have it ordered, should hopefully be here by Friday/early next week.

Could you send me on those links in a PM swell please, I'm gona order the hardback too but just would like an iBook copy too.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

No Cleverly or Jones on the bench for England tonight...Would have liked to see them get a run at some stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

No Cleverly or Jones on the bench for England tonight...Would have liked to see them get a run at some stage!
    I know it'll prob be said it was good to have them involved in the Senior set up, but taking Jones away from the U-21's for no game time at all is pointless IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

is it not good experience for them ?

RasTa wrote: »
    It pays for itself if you don't mind downloading books!

I've got 25,652..

My sister downloads books to her laptop in PDF. I much prefer having the real thing in my hand, it's not as sore on the eyes.

Young just scored for England, nicely taken goal too.

The clowns never cease to amaze me with their parochial attitude to anyone who dares to question Fergie or to criticise United players.

Real fans question their team and demand the best. Lemmings and fools defend their club no matter what.

So far I've claimed that Bebe is a joke, that De Gea's a bad signing, that we should sign Phil Jones, that Wellbeck won't be first choice in the long term and that Shay Given would have been a good temporary solution while we identified the right replacement for EVDS. I've been pilloried for all of the above observations. Now let's look at the latest regarding those observations:
    - Bebe is indeed a joke and was chased out of the place
    - De Gea's amde at least one calamitous error in every game that he's played for United
    - We've signed Phil Jones and he's already being likened to Duncan Edwards
    - Danny Wellbeck's long term role is still uncertain but anyone claiming that he'll be first choice at United in the medium to long term needs their head examined
    - Shay Given has been incredible in every game he's played this season. Tonight he looked like Gordon F..king Banks

The naive, ignorant and rude "fans" who think that they own this thread adopt a bizarre superior attitude to anyone who dares to threaten the status quo. Anyone with their own opinion is branded a "troll" or even told to "f..k off and die". There are some good fans within the United forum and quite a few of them have PM'd me and advised me to ignore the clowns. I thank them. As for the clowns who thank each other's ridiculous posts like rabid mongrels and think that they patented love for United, I laugh at your ignorance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

See that Armenia are winning, get in. Also Richie Dunne was immense. Possible signing until the youngsters are ready?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

lordgoat wrote: »
    See that Armenia are winning, get in. Also Richie Dunne was immense. Possible signing until the youngsters are ready?

Dunne aint good enough for us

That is actually quite funny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

My sister downloads books to her laptop in PDF. I much prefer having the real thing in my hand, it's not as sore on the eyes.
    Reading from a kindle is exactly the same as reading from a book, it doesn't hurt your eyes in the slightest.

Dunne has always been immense for Ireland but i've never felt he plays to the same level for his club. I think we have 4 centre backs already at Utd who would be quite a bit better than Dunne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why on earth would we want to buy a 31 year old centreback?:confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement