Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

this was fun while it lasted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Trilla wrote: »

I just typed out a really long answer to you mate and then after posting saw this thread has been closed.

As soon as I saw the thread title and creator it was obvious where it was going imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I just typed out a really long answer to you mate and then after posting saw this thread has been closed.

As soon as I saw the thread title and creator it was obvious where it was going imo

What are you impying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

What are you impying?

2 + 2=?....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

How ****ing lucky was Evra not to break his ankle midweek? The pitch was an absolute disgrace.

http://football-talk.co.uk/38215/video-patrice-evra-almost-breaks-ankle-playing-for-france/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Anybody applying for the City game? Applied for tickets this morning, but won't be holding my breath. Atmosphere will be electric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Trilla wrote: »

MagicMarker... I love it. :D

What are you impying?

You are a tad controversial mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Blatter wrote: »
    How ****ing lucky was Evra not to break his ankle midweek? The pitch was an absolute disgrace.

http://football-talk.co.uk/38215/video-patrice-evra-almost-breaks-ankle-playing-for-france/

****ing hell. He was very lucky indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Le King wrote: »
    2 + 2=?....

5, for large values of 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Good to hear that Danny Welbeck injury wasn't as bad as once thought. He is back training next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Predicted line up against Bolton

DDG

Smalling
    Jones
    Evans
    Evra

--Nani---Cleverly---Ando
    Young

Hernandez----Rooney

I hope Valencia, Berbatov and Fletcher get some game time also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

OMG Chicharito in the starting lineup again...

sweetjesus.jpg?1304464078

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

potentially a very tough game tomorrow with bolton likely to take a physical approach to our inexperienced back 5. we have to dominate midfield and deny bolton the opportunities to rain balls into the box. id like to see a set up of
    fletcher
    cleverley anderson

nani young
    rooney
    it would give us the numbers to dominate midfield without lessening our attacking threat. hernandez would be more effective coming off the bech in a game like this. We also want players to be fresh for next week v chelsea so i wouldnt be surprised to see carrick,park,giggs, berba starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    OMG Chicharito in the starting lineup again...

fap.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

fap.png

Careful there,a teenager died from that in Brazil:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

zerks wrote: »
    Careful there,a teenager died from that in Brazil:D
    He's good for another 40 tries...then it's dangerous!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

aguerosergiokun Sergio Aguero

We are in the hotel with the squad for the game tomorrow against Wigan. We should win to stay at the top of the table! Have a good night.

Poor lad can't see straight.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

A guy on RI saying De Gea and Cleverly not playing tomorrow. Will find out today but not end of the world, as we do got Benfica and Chelsea next 2 games. Bolton will be a physical challenge for De Gea no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Just seen this over on redcafe. Madness
    The match-fixing scandal that has rocked Turkish football took a further twist this week when a high-profile former referee claimed that Galatasaray's elimination of Manchester United from the Champions League in 1993 was aided by a corrupted match official.
    The club have rejected the allegation made by Ahmet Cakar, who refereed at Euro 96 and in the Champions League, and have instigated legal proceedings against him. Cakar, now a pundit on Turkish TV, said that he witnessed a Galatasaray official offer the match referee, Kurt Rothlisberger, a bribe over the telephone the evening before the Champions League second leg against United in Istanbul.
    After a 3-3 draw at Old Trafford in the first leg, the Turkish side reached the group stages with a goalless draw at the Ali Sami Yen Stadium. Eric Cantona was sent off for making a gesture to the referee at the end of the game – he was to later accuse the Swiss of having been bought – on a chastening night for United.
    Following a melee in the tunnel post-match, Cantona was struck on the head by a policeman wielding a truncheon and had to be restrained by Bryan Robson, Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister.
    Apart from Cantona's assertion, there have never been any suggestions made by other United players or Sir Alex Ferguson that the referee influenced proceedings. On the night, United did not create a clear chance and it took two high-class saves from Peter Schmeichel to keep the game scoreless.
    Cakar's claim was added to by another Turkish football official, Ahmet Guvener, a former president of the Central Referee Commitee. "I heard from [the club official] many times that he had bribed Rothlisberger. I do not know whether he actually did that or not. But I witnessed him saying that," Guvener told the Turkish newspaper, Sabah.
    Rothlisberger took charge of the Champions League final between Marseilles and Milan in the same year. In 1994 he was sent home from the World Cup after admitting he should have awarded Belgium a penalty in a 3-2 second-round defeat
    He was later given a life ban from the sport after allegations that he offered to influence another Champions League game between Grasshopper Zurich and Auxerre. Rothlisberger denied the charge but failed in a subsequent appeal to get the ban reversed.
    Galatasaray have launched a court action in response to Cakar's claims and are seeking a million Turkish lira (around £350,000) in compensation.
    The Turkish season belatedly gets under way this weekend having been postponed for a month because of the match-fixing allegations that have seen Fenerbahce thrown out of the Champions League and a number of officials from the club, including the chairman, arrested

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Pfft 18 years ago...not going to change anything now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Was that the game where Cantona was taking a throw when some supporter grabbed him, and he got sent off for elbowing him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just seen this over on redcafe. Madness

Link

They played Cork City the round before that. Not being biased but at time City should have won the home leg and played decent in the away they were only parttime in those days and when saw the draw taught United would beat them easy.

As one pointed out no good to us now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Anybody applying for the City game? Applied for tickets this morning, but won't be holding my breath. Atmosphere will be electric.

I've got my tickets already! (through a contact) going to be an epic game - hopefully!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

I've no doubt that Kevin Davies is licking his lips at the prospect of coming up against David de Gea.

Ashley Young's been a revelation at United. His link up play with Wayne Rooney is a joy to behold. I did not expect him to up his game so much.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2035707/Manchester-United-goalkeeper-David-Gea-facing-axe.html?
    Ferguson axe looming over United keeper De Gea

Sir Alex Ferguson is considering leaving goalkeeper David de Gea out of Saturday evening's Barclays Premier League game at Bolton.
    Manchester United manager Ferguson has been publicly supportive of the 20-year-old Spaniard since he arrived at Old Trafford and is firm in his belief that De Gea will go on to be the club's No 1 goalkeeper for the next decade.

But after a couple of high-profile mistakes in his first few games for United, Ferguson spent much of Friday wondering whether to replace De Gea with Denmark keeper Anders Lindegaard at the Reebok Stadium.
    Ferguson is concerned about the physical threat carried by Owen Coyle's Bolton side and thinks that De Gea may benefit from a day out of the spotlight ahead of United's game in Lisbon in the Champions League on Wednesday.
    However, leaving De Gea out now would represent a blow to the former Atletico Madrid man and Ferguson was wondering what effect it may have on his confidence.
    Meanwhile, midfielder Tom Cleverley is expected to be rested on Saturday.

The usual pinch of salt required but it wouldn't surprise me to see Lindegaard start.

Also The Sun, Independent and Telegraph all reporting that SAF is considering playing Anders Lindegaard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Isn't that counter productive for De Gea though (assuming its what Fergie is thinking)? If he is being protected against the likes of Davies (and maybe NGog ;) ) that almost an admission there is some sort of issue and every lumbering defender (at set pieces) attacking midfielder and striker will target him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Surely DDG starts after Fergies quotes yesterday RE more protection for him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2011/Sep/david-de-gea-can-deal-with-bolton-wanderers.aspx
    De Gea can deal with Bolton

Sir Alex Ferguson is backing David De Gea to cope with an anticipated aerial battle with Bolton Wanderers in his second away match for United.

The manager feels the Spanish goalkeeper has already passed a rigorous test of his catching and box-commanding abilities, during his English league baptism at West Bromwich Albion.

"There’s nothing wrong with that, it’s part of the challenge," said Sir Alex, when asked if he expected Bolton to 'target' the 20 year-old Spaniard.

"Every game that comes around for him is a new experience. West Brom was a difference experience for him and he actually did pretty well, despite not getting much protection from the referee, which was disappointing."

Andre Marriner is the official tasked with keeping an eye on penalty area antics at the Reebok Stadium, although he – and United – may find that Bolton's style under Owen Coyle is less physical than the reputation they carry from a previous regime.

"The players they’ve brought in are, to me, footballers," said Sir Alex, referring to the likes of Turkish international midfielder Tuncay and former Reds winger Chris Eagles.

"They are players who play the game in a way which people don’t recognise with Bolton. We expect a difficult game, as we always do away from home in this league."

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Isn't that counter productive for De Gea though (assuming its what Fergie is thinking)? If he is being protected against the likes of Davies (and maybe NGog ;) ) that almost an admission there is some sort of issue and every lumbering defender (at set pieces) attacking midfielder and striker will target him.

I think anyone that watched the West Brom game could see the physical aspect of his goalkeeping is an issue at the moment in fairness. Every team is going to target him whether Ferguson makes the admission or not. De Gea himself will know that he has to improve in that area.

Surely DDG starts after Fergies quotes yesterday RE more protection for him

That was my thinking. But it wouldn't be unlike Ferguson to indicate that de Gea will start so Bolton will be planning to face de Gea and not Lindegaard.

A big part of Bolton's game plan for today was to probably try and bully de Gea, shoot from distance at every opportunity etc.

Putting Lindegaard in the lineup would throw a bit of a curve ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

n32 wrote: »
    potentially a very tough game tomorrow with bolton likely to take a physical approach to our inexperienced back 5. we have to dominate midfield and deny bolton the opportunities to rain balls into the box. id like to see a set up of
    fletcher
    cleverley anderson

nani young
    rooney
    it would give us the numbers to dominate midfield without lessening our attacking threat. hernandez would be more effective coming off the bech in a game like this. We also want players to be fresh for next week v chelsea so i wouldnt be surprised to see carrick,park,giggs, berba starting.

Completely agree with that starting line up, 5 in the middle could be need for what will probably be a very physical game, and if we do go 4-4-2 i'd personally prefer Berbatov and not Hernandez to be partnering Rooney. As you say think this is the kinda game where its better to bring Hernandez on from the bench, Berb's ability on the ball and physical strength would be more important today.

Though i don't think Fergie will have any thought about Chelsea next week for todays game, we've got Benfica wednesday and thats when i think the likes of carrick, giggs etc. will be played to keep the others fresh for Chelsea.

If we went with 4-4-2 away to Chelsea in the CL semi final last season, do people really expect us to play 4-5-1 because we're worrying about playing Bolton? Really?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

With Muamba and Rio Coker in Boltons Midfield, United are better off sticking with what they have done already this season, pass the ball quickly with good movement, rather than flooding the midfield.

Flooding midfield will make it harder for United to attack and would suit Bolton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Fabio in for Evra please!

If we went with 4-4-2 away to Chelsea in the CL semi final last season, do people really expect us to play 4-5-1 because we're worrying about playing Bolton? Really?

Think that opinion is more to do with protecting the young back 5 that will be starting.

Obviously they have started season very well but they haven't had quite as physical a test as Bolton will provide.

I still fully expect us to go with a 4-4-2 though, my only concern is that this is the kind of game where Chicharito can be anonymous and so i hope Berbatov starts with Rooney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Think that opinion is more to do with protecting the young back 5 that will be starting.

Obviously they have started season very well but they haven't had quite as physical a test as Bolton will provide.

I still fully expect us to go with a 4-4-2 though, my only concern is that this is the kind of game where Chicharito can be anonymous and so i hope Berbatov starts with Rooney.

When people keep saying Physichal test what exactly are they talking about, A team with big players that will get stuck in and play a long ball?

That was West Brom in the first game. Bolton won't be as reliant on the long Ball or as Direct as West Brom were to Long and Tchoyi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Also The Sun, Independent and Telegraph all reporting that SAF is considering playing Anders Lindegaard.

Caught in two minds about this one. De Geas current physical presence is a Kevin Davies wet dream and switching goalkeepers makes sense tactically. But it wont be seen as a tactical choice, it will be seen as "De Gea dropped", "Fergie loses patience with De Gea" etc. and the impact on De Geas confidence could equal or surpass the impact of a poor display against Bolton. If there is a successful switch of goalies today, who will start against Chelsea?

As DM-ICE said, West Brom were already a huge physical test for United. Bolton will play alot more open, free flowing football today than West Brom did on the opening day.

There's not a cat in hells chance Berbatov will start either. Even if Chicharito doesn't score or play that well, at least he will work hard and stretch the Bolton defense with his pace and make space for Rooney, Young and Nani. It's something Berbatov doesn't/can't do and doesn't play because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I wouldn't be unhappy if lindegaard starts today, he did very well during preseason, would be nice to see him play a game actually, he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Just putting it out here id rather pig starts then AL . Just because of premier league experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Just putting it out here id rather pig starts then AL . Just because of premier league experience

Well AL has to gain that experience somewhere.

No way do I want PIG near the starting line up. Hell, I don't even want him on the bench.

Lets stick with DDG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

mars bar wrote: »
    Well AL has to gain that experience somewhere.

No way do I want PIG near the starting line up. Hell, I don't even want him on the bench.

I'd still prefer the Latino to start .

I'd rather he didn't. The club were actively trying to get rid of PIG in the Summer but couldn't find any takers. I think that tells it's own story.

He was terrible against Blackburn away last season aswell, he actually couldn't do anything right.

I must admit that Lindegaard really impressed me pre season and I wouldn't mind seeing what he's like in the Prem. He's a big 6'4'', filled out Scandinavian. Perfect for Bolton:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

tommyhaas wrote: »
    If only you's had a manager with a bit of experience in determining the right time for the Academy lads to make the break through to the first team...:pac:

I don't get the smiley pacman there. It is a genuine concern , of not just me, but alot of United supporters who activley watch Pogba play. He is still quite young and naive still and another season in the Reserves will do him the world of good, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Half 5 cant come quick enough :o

De Gea,
    Evans Rio Jones Evra,
    Nani Anderson Cleverley Young
    Rooney Hernandez

Really surprised he has gone with Evans over Smalling

De Gea,
    Evans Rio Jones Evra,
    Nani Anderson Cleverley Young
    Rooney Hernandez

Really surprised he has gone with Evans over Smalling

jump into the match thread mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Looks like game over at half time 3-0 up *It was game over after 5 minutes really* All i can say is nice one United winning comfortable back on top the table and by looks of things nice 75 euro won from Paddy powers for me :D lol

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement