Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Only 3 of those who started were born before Fergie took the job

That's a truly amazing stat. Just goes to show how long Fergie's been around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Only managed to catch the last 15 minutes of the game as still on my hols.

Some great stuff played towards the end. Glad to hear Evans and Jones had a good game together at the back.

Can't believe the De Gea hate in the match thread. You'd swear he is the only keeper ever to make a mistake ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

My last word on De Gea , is he must be given a chance , but he certainly needs more goalkeeper coaching .

He aint going to be a VDS imo.

He needs to get rid of the ball quicker , to keep the pressure off the backs .

VDS would thump the ball upfield at every opportunity . DG is not doing this .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

My last word on De Gea , is he must be given a chance , but he certainly needs more goalkeeper coaching .

Are you joking? You're criticising him for retaining possession?

There is a time to thump the ball but if a defender is open or a midfielder shows for it you play it short every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm impressed with DG's ability on the ball and distribution of the ball of the ball. I don't think that will be a problem.

I do think that his light physique will be a problem though. I'm sure he'll be working on his upper body strength and soon enough he'll be well able to come and collect the crosses comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The second half was magnificent, even magical. <3 The Tank.

I would class that as a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I thought De Gea did well lads tbh, he is only twenty after all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im surprised Bateman didnt pop his head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

DDG distribution > VDS distribution

No doubts about that. He has a bit to go before he reaches the overall ability of the Dutchman, but he is well capable of getting there.

The way I look at it is we have the best 20 year old goalkeeper in the world at the club.

• Advertisement

De Gea has nice footwork too, did well to drag it away from Defoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

baz2009 wrote: »
    De Gea has nice footwork too, did well to drag it away from Defoe.
    Vdv?

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Vdv?

Could've been actually. I was thinking of when Defoe got booked, but I now remember what he was booked for.

I'm tired. That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

baz2009 wrote: »
    DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Vdv?

Could've been actually. I was thinking of when Defoe got booked, but I now remember what he was booked for.

I'm tired. That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.:pac:
    I'll let you off this time, don't let it happen again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Utd looked class tonight, potential there to suggest Fergie has assembled yet another quality squad. Young looks twice the player he was at Villa and the quality and debt of squad looks great. I fking hate utd.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Soups123 wrote: »
    Utd looked class tonight, potential there to suggest Fergie has assembled yet another quality squad. Young looks twice the player he was at Villa and the quality and debt of squad looks great. I fking hate utd.........

typo :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Thought Young was pretty bad tonight in fairness. Nani was at least putting it into the box even if his crossing was wayward, Young seemed to just run into trouble a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I love how a kid can be written off so early in his career by some. Now if we wanted to be all cynical? We could argue that VDS positioning was poor for the first CL Final goal, being totally wrong footed so easily as he was. A man showing his age, so let's give the kid a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Great performance last night. Going to be serious competition for starting places when all are back fit, we could change that entire team and still beat most of europe.
    Dont think too many would mind a starting XI of Pig, Raf, Rio, Vidic, Fab, Val, Fletcher, Giggs, Park, Berba, Chicarito.

Thats 2 top class XIs and still have the likes of carrick and owen left over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ceegee wrote: »
    Great performance last night. Going to be serious competition for starting places when all are back fit, we could change that entire team and still beat most of europe.
    Dont think too many would mind a starting XI of Pig, Raf, Rio, Vidic, Fab, Val, Fletcher, Giggs, Park, Berba, Chicarito.

Lindergaard > PIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Lindergaard > PIG
    yeah id agree but posting from my mobile so when faced with 2 players i cant spell i went for the one with the acronym :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

yeah id agree but posting from my mobile so when faced with 2 players i cant spell i went for the one with the acronym :)

Just call him DIG then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Totally happy with last nights performance ,
    Smalling was fantastic again no longer just cover for Rafael quickly making the position his own in IMO. Jones looks a hell of a buy and a real future gem for the club but Vidic still my No.1 choice . Welbeck was great last night and has impressed in the last two games and offers us such a different type of option up front,, But what make me the happiest about last night was Anderson thought he was fantastic ,really on top of the game . What a pass and finish . Great to see him score so early in the season . Rooney seems to be playing like a very happy and content player ,Playing with Hernandez seem to bring back his smile last season but you get the feeling it has developed and that he is delighted with what is going on around him on the pitch and at the club .
    There seem to be a spirit , joy even fearlessness about the team ,maybe its a side effect of playing such a young team or something but long may it last . Ok playing Spurs helps as they play "football " which leads to a nice open end to end games. Not sure if we will be allow such time and space to play such attractive football against Liverpool or Chelsea . After saying that... you add Vidic ,Hernandez and someone like Park to that team and you can't help but get excited about the season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I did enjoy the second half last night, and the performance of the defenders was great to see - Smalling did very well at RB, and Jones was a beast all night. Evans was also very good, which is great to see ater being poor for much of last season.

Also, while I thought Ando had a very good game, and Cleverley played very well in the second half - we do have to remember that they were up against a midfield duo of Krancjar and Livermore - that is not the toughest midfield they will come up against, not even close, so we have to take the dominance of our second half performance in that context. It was good, it was promising, but a failure to out do the Spurs CM pairing would have been a massive worry in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Now I know why Kenny wanted to sign Jones. I never watched Blackburn last season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think it is telling that Fergie went on record to say that we didn't buy Jones because we particularly needed him - we bought him because he was too damned good to pass up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

what now for the squad before close of the window?
    OUT
    Gibson
    PIG
    Diouf
    Berba?

LOAN
    Macheda, to PL team

Can't see any additions

Berba appears not to be for sale, but IMO if a decent bid comes in he will be let go. hes too good for 4th choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I love how as soon as Danny back heels the ball into Ando's path, Rooney has his arms up celebrating before Ando has scored :D

It's been said to death already, but Phil Jones was immense last night. My man of the match anyway. I know Danny changed the game with the goal and assist, but Jones was non stop.

Ando and Cleverley were good again, hopefully they get more game time together. What I like about the pairing is that whenever the get the ball and pass it, they move looking for it back, lots of little tri angles of play in midfield last night.

When Rio and Vida are fit, United really do have an outstanding squad. Any team would kill to have Chico, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Berbs etc in their starting XI, never mind the bench!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I think it is telling that Fergie went on record to say that we didn't buy Jones because we particularly needed him - we bought him because he was too damned good to pass up on.

He was very good last night and he is only 19 too. Fergie said himself they made a enquiry as early as November last year.

Anderson i think has being great so far in the 3 games we have played, against City and two league games. He has the talent just lacks the consistency.

On DDG, he has great feet and is improving all the time. No doubt he will be top quality i believe for Manutd for years to come, given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Vanbis wrote: »
    Fergie said himself they made a enquiry as early as November last year.

It's funny isnt it? The real transfer happenings don't come into the media until its actually nearly completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

nicklauski wrote: »
    I love how as soon as Danny back heels the ball into Ando's path, Rooney has his arms up celebrating before Ando has scored :D

I think he was looking for a penalty, but your suggestion sounds a lot better so we'll go with that!

After seeing it again, your probably right!

Someone was complaining about De Gea's distribution last night not being quick enough, but yet his ball out to Young after claiming a cross was the start of the move which led to Anderson's goal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

lKx10.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXANxsFVPojitYT-2z9Rs2k58SkPpQvobcg8Fw1SzXsp00uNWktw

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

de geas distribution was top class last night but he really needs to speed up his kick, he takes way too long winding up the kick but that will come. considering how much he has improved since last sunday, if he keeps up that rate of improvement he should be grand in no time. he has to learn that the only way to claim a high ball is at its highest point. if he claims it at the highest point, nobody will be able to get their head near it but the way he catches it he s leaving himself wide open to be challenged. he ll come good though. the only addition i d like to see would be a real scrapper in midfield. if fletcher isnt going to be fully fit we ll definitely need someone. a player like a diarra or a tiote from newcastle would do a great job and would allow us to play cleverley ad anderson away from home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't think I've ever seen Anderson play as good a game as he did last night.

Where can you find those % successful pass completion stats? I can't remember him giving the ball away once. Fantastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

united-cm.jpg

Between Anderson and cleverley they had an 88% success rate

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen Anderson play as good a game as he did last night.

Where can you find those % successful pass completion stats? I can't remember him giving the ball away once. Fantastic stuff.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/94FC3GJpd4Q84HMQPxHo

has last weeks match too

beaten to it :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thanks regardless, I was looking for the link.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Thanks regardless, I was looking for the link.

its pretty neat, you can do some funky stuff if you are a stats nerd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

I remember Anderson giving the ball away in the opening quarter and the stats back that up.

Anderson;
    (0- 23mins): 10 passes | 7 successful | 3 unsuccessful
    (23-45mins): 17 passes | 15 successful | 2 unsuccessful
    (45-68mins): 18 passes | 17 successful | 1 unsuccessful
    (68-90mins): 9 passes | 9 successful | 0 unsuccessful + goal
    Total: 50 passes | | 44 successful | 6 unsuccessful | 1 goal

Compared to Cleverly (subbed after 82mins);
    (0- 23mins): 3 passes | 2 successful | 1 unsuccessful
    (23-45mins): 11 passes | 11 successful | 0 unsuccessful
    (45-68mins): 18 passes | 14 successful | 3 unsuccessful + assist
    (68-90mins): 6 passes | 6 successful | 0 unsuccessful
    Total: 35 passes | 30 successful | 4 unsuccessful | 1 assist

Clearly Cleverly had a quiet start to the match, Anderson a bit busier but trying a couple 'hollywoods' but resisted the temptation for the rest of the match.

Defensively...

Anderson;
    Interceptions: 6
    Tackles: 9 tackles | 4 successful | 5 unsuccessful
    Blocks: 1
    Clearances: 1

Cleverly;
    Interceptions: 0
    Tackles: 1 tackle | 1 successful | 0 unsuccesful
    Blocks: 0
    Clearances: 0

Anderson clearly had the better of it overall and Cleverly defensive stats look rather bare but it doesn't account for distance covered and his efforts to close down but nonetheless Anderson was the maestro last night.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I thought Ando was quite poor in the first half tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Keyser:

Could you put up the distribution board for De Gea? Its the Guardian one also. Its very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I've just seen extended highlights there. Can't really say much about Anderson and Cleverly when they don't haver the ball, cause you know highlights, but when they do have it....some of the close passing, movement and speed of execution is awesome. Like that American lad said blink and you'd miss it. With Welbeck, Jones and Smalling developing so well it makes you excited for the coming season. Can't wait.

I thought himself and Cleverley were both poor the first half. A big improvement in the second half. Again though you look at who they played against. It will be interesting to see who he plays on sunday against Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I thought himself and Cleverley were both poor the second half. A big improvement the second half..

wut!?

wut!?

Fixed that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I thought himself and Cleverley were both poor the first half. A big improvement in the second half. Again though you look at who they played against. It will be interesting to see who he plays on sunday against Arsenal.

It's very hard to tell who he'll play on Sunday. You'd have to think he's intentions were to edge some of the old guard into the team over the next few weeks.

I don't see how he can drop Welbeck, so I think it will be him and Rooney again. Anderson and Young will surely start. Nani could be one to miss out and it's difficult to say whether he will start Cleverly for the third game running.

You'd have to think it will be Jones and Ferdinand in central defense with Smalling RB and Evra LB. That's harsh on Evans as he played so well but I don't see it any other way unless Ferdinand isn't fully fit.

Blatter wrote: »
    It's very hard to tell who he'll play on Sunday. You'd have to think he's intentions were to edge some of the old guard into the team over the next few weeks.

I don't see how he can drop Welbeck, so I think it will be him and Rooney again. Anderson and Young will surely start. Nani could be one to miss out and it's difficult to say whether he will start Cleverly for the third game running.

You'd have to think it will be Jones and Ferdinand in central defense with Smalling RB and Evra LB. That's harsh on Evans as he played so well but I don't see it any other way unless Ferdinand isn't fully fit.

If Welbeck hadn't of scored last night i think Hernandez would've replaced him on sunday, thats a tough call for Fergie. I can see Cleverley being dropped for the Arsenal game myself and Carrick coming in his place. Nani i'm not so sure because that would depend on Valencia fitness?

I was disappointed with Young final ball last night, from corners and a couple of free kicks he failed a few times to beat the first man. When ever i watched him play for Aston Villa it was the same as im sure everone else noticed, i just hope he improves because he has made a difference already and himself and Rooney linked well again last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Blatter wrote: »

I think Hernandez & park might be on the field Sunday, and possibly if rio is back we'll see fabio rather than evra...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I agree. We were maintaining good possession but lacked that cutting edge from midfeild in the first half. The game was screaming out for Sneidjer in those first 45mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

good win, but people are getting too carried away. up until the goal, cleverly and welbeck were average enough and only about 5 minutes from being substituted IMO...

we have a really rough run of fixtures coming up now, horrible in fact, so we will see how we are then. im not convinced yet that our CM is what it needs to be and we are one injury away from disaster there. we still need a signing, i just hope fergie does get carried away in the hype and thinks we have enough and keeps gibson.

on the positive side, smalling looks a real player now as does Jones and De Gea had a solid night apart from one flap in the 75th minute, his distribution is incredibly good, he could nearly play CH. Young was immense last night too. he was about 5 meters away from us at one stage during the game and he is really skinny, not well built, so he needs to work on that and get bulked up, as he will get roughed up a bit as the winter goes on.

and lol at the gimps who were porttaying doom and gloom on the ticket sales last night, saying 4,000 unsold.....

almost 75,500 as predicted and spurs didnt sell their full allocation, so there was even more united fans than normal...too much reading the MUST lads on redcafe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement