Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think Cleverly, Anderson and Welbeck are good enough and should play as often as possible to kick on to the next level.

Last night's front 6 should be our first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Vanbis wrote: »
    If Welbeck hadn't of scored last night i think Hernandez would've replaced him on sunday, thats a tough call for Fergie. I can see Cleverley being dropped for the Arsenal game myself and Carrick coming in his place. Nani i'm not so sure because that would depend on Valencia fitness?

I was disappointed with Young final ball last night, from corners and a couple of free kicks he failed a few times to beat the first man. When ever i watched him play for Aston Villa it was the same as im sure everone else noticed, i just hope he improves because he has made a difference already and himself and Rooney linked well again last night.

Park in for Nani possibly, Valencia wouldn't be ready to start yet.

Despite Young's final ball(which hasn't been that bad but not great imo) he is having a seriously good impact on the team, as you said yourself. His link up play, movement and workrate is top class. He is ALWAYS a goal threat aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

jones8kg9.gif

ando0cxo.gif

look at the pace jones has compared to Bale..

and ando :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Blatter wrote: »
    Park in for Nani possibly, Valencia wouldn't be ready to start yet.

Despite Young's final ball(which hasn't been that bad but not great imo) he is having a seriously good impact on the team, as you said yourself. His link up play, movement and workrate is top class. He is ALWAYS a goal threat aswell.

Yeah his workrate is top class, always looked a threat last night. I think Rooney is enjoying playing with him as well. Arsenal on sunday will be a massive test for the team and the likes of Cleverley, Welbeck if they start. Fergie could also use Young behind Rooney and have Nani, Park on the wings but id like to see Young out the left again. Really looking forward to the game on sunday too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jones8kg9.gif

ando0cxo.gif

look at the pace jones has compared to Bale..

and ando :)
    Bale not at full sprint in fairness.

Evra did similar in the first half to Ando.....

Park in for Nani possibly.

just no....my faith in park needs alot of restoration. nani just brings so much more flair and excitement to our attacking play.

jameshayes wrote: »
    I think Hernandez & park might be on the field Sunday, and possibly if rio is back we'll see fabio rather than evra...

You can't drop Welbeck, a lad who changed the game with a goal and a stunning assist, for Hernandez, who missed a large chunk of pre season and only has 15 mins of first team football under his belt this season.

No chance imo, I'd agree that Park has a good shout to replace Nani though.

For a new player, Young has been fantastic.

His link up play with Rooney is brilliant, he works very hard and every time he gets on the ball he's a threat.

Can't see anything but positives in him.

just no....my faith in park needs alot of restoration. nani just brings so much more flair and excitement to our attacking play.

You've lost faith in Park? Wtf? Why?

He always plays in the big games, didn't you know? Nani was poor enough last night aswell.

Saying that, Arsenal are so depleted at the moment he might not feel the need to play Park, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

I really don't think it's necessary to play Park on Sunday.

Arsenal will be practically putting out a reserve team, and our front 6 from the first two games have been sensational at times.

Let them play, gel together and kick on. Don't go hamstringing them out of fear of a shell of an Arsenal side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

You can't drop Welbeck, a lad who changed the game with a goal and a stunning assist, for Hernandez, who missed a large chunk of pre season and only has 15 mins of first team football under his belt this season.

No chance imo, I'd agree that Park has a good shout to replace Nani though.

I agree that for the next match that Chico's match fitness is probably not up to standard yet to merit a start but when both are match fit and raring to go, I'd favour Chico.

As for Park, it depends on the rest of the midfield choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I'd start Rooney and Welbeck on Sunday. Arsenal are seriously lacking in the centre half department at the moment. Miguel was wrecked against Liverpool, for the second goal he barely had the energy to turn to try cut out the ball from Meireles. I'd leave it till around the 75th minute again and unleash The Pea. His pace will murder them at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

keane2097 wrote: »

Arsenal will be practically putting out a reserve team, and our front 6 from the first two games have been sensational at times.

Let them play, gel together and kick on. Don't go hamstringing them out of fear of a shell of an Arsenal side.

agreed, Arsenal are there for the taking. Have a go at them and I think Fergie will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Keyser:

Could you put up the distribution board for De Gea? Its the Guardian one also. Its very impressive.
    this one ?
    Capture11.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Thats the one mate, cheers. Actually thought his distribution might be more succesful than that, but we could put it down to lack of height up front.

Heskey it is :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

What I loved about last night was the fact that Fergie could have play Carrick instead of Cleverly to add experience. He didn't. He could have gone for an extra midfielder or Berbatov instead of Wellbeck. He didn't. He could have played a more defensive formation. He didn't.

There is huge belief in the players that started last night, and it's an incredibly exciting time to be a United fan. I haven't been this excited in years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

In fairness you can't really label a GK's kicking as ''passes'', it's just not the same thing and there'll never be a particularly high success rate for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

that was just pure joy watching that last night...

cant wait to to be in Manchester this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm 100% in agreement with this. I reckon play our front 6 from last week every game. This is the best football we've played since the days of the Tevez, Roo, Ronaldo Holy Trinity.

Yes, Ando + Cleverley might not cover the back four as well as other pairings we have, but they'll also contribute far more to creating chances and tbh if they could keep up the possession stats of the second half then protecting the back four will be less of an issue.

I would happily accept a more open team and the concession of more chances and goals if thats the style football I get to see week in week out. I remember the 1999 team used to be fairly open as well and were very much an attack based set up

Score more than them, the United way.

• Advertisement

<3 Ando's facial expressions btw. Fast becoming a cult hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everything about last night is the Manchester United tradition. Young players, great attacking football and winning!

I don't care if i get told I'm getting carried away but I'm delighted at the shape of our club looks right now, on the field anyway.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Everything about last night is the Manchester United tradition. Young players, great attacking football and winning!

I don't care if i get told I'm getting carried away but I'm delighted at the shape of our club looks right now, on the field anyway.

I am quite happily getting carried away tbh, it beats the usual sniping about the keeper or fawning over other people's players or b*tching about the midfield not being good enough.

Same here. I had become extremely disinterested in soccer over the last few years (compared to previously at least), but whatever it is about this group of young lads and the type of soccer they've started the season playing I'm more excited about watching games than I have been in a long, long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

flahavaj wrote: »
    I am quite happily getting carried away tbh, it beats the usual sniping about the keeper or fawning over other people's players or b*tching about the midfield not being good enough.

Yes indeed.

I'm not usually one to get involved in transfer saga's but I'll admit to being sucked into the 'we must buy Sneijder or are doomed' hype.

After the last few games I've changed from being a doom merchant, to a happy positive Ray Wilkins type person

My word, what a splendid group of players we have, outstanding group of young men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Same here. I had become extremely disinterested in soccer over the last few years (compared to previously at least), but whatever it is about this group of young lads and the type of soccer they've started the season playing I'm more excited about watching games than I have been in a long, long time.

Spooky, you could have copy and pasted those words straight from my mouth. I feel the exact same way, this bunch of youngsters have something special about them and it's just reignited my passion for the club. And as much as the exotic lads like Nani, Anderson, Chicharito are worth fawning over, I'm most excited about the young home grown talent at the club - Jones, Smalling, Cleverley, Welbeck.

I'm just genuinely for excited to watch every United match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Got slated Sunday night when out saying United are stronger this year than last year. Got a few apolagies last night. Was funny Neville saying how Wellbeck got a smile and a handshake coming off and he never got a handshake in 20 years. Im buzzing i really dont want Sneijder a big superstar who could disrupt and hold back the young players. We have enough creativity if we are to sign a player i want a midfielder to break things up. Cleverley and Wellbeck's ability to find each other is amazing. I dont believe in comparing to Barcelona but i believe developing a young squad is the way to catch upto them. The depth in the squad is unreal looking at that bench last night. Hopefully we will see Pogba and Morisson get a few games and try get them into the squad next year.

I really hope Hernandez doesn't push Welbeck out of the team, think Welbeck has the potential to be a far superior all around player.

What are others' thoughts on that one?

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Spooky, you could have copy and pasted those words straight from my mouth. I feel the exact same way, this bunch of youngsters have something special about them and it's just reignited my passion for the club. And as much as the exotic lads like Nani, Anderson, Chicharito are worth fawning over, I'm most excited about the young home grown talent at the club - Jones, Smalling, Cleverley, Welbeck.

I'm just genuinely for excited to watch every United match.

I'm buzzing today after watching that last night. We had become a functional and effective team slowly but surely over the last few years, lacking a little in pace and flair.

The line up that last 3 games has transformed that completely, width, pace, flair, inventiveness, SWASHBUCKLING.:pac:

I remember complaining we had no pace when Ronaldo left, now its all over the place, making clever runs off the ball at all kinds of angles.

What we could actually do is play that entire front six in the PL and for European games switch to our first choice midfield of last season

Park----Carrick
    Giggs
    Tony. All you need in Europe these days is to be solid defensively and have good attackers IMO and you'll go far.

We have amazing options really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I said it in this thread a few weeks back that we should go with youth rather than try bring in whatshisface..

Danny W. said it after the game. These lads Cleverley and Wellbeck have been playing with each other for years at youth/reserve team level and have a natural understanding of each others game. They know which run to make or which pass to play to each other. This kind of understanding of each others game is something that you can't buy.

This benefits the team greatly and will set us up to challenge for the next decade.

Jones looks as though hes always been a United player and Smalling just keeps getting better and better.

We dont need any new signings. We just need to have faith in our youth. And thats exactly what SAF did last night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Interesting to see how you lot fare away from home this season against the top sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

G.K. wrote: »
    Interesting to see how you lot fare away from home this season against the top sides.

I think we'll win some and lose some. Its all a part of adding the experience to such a young side.

I really hope Hernandez doesn't push Welbeck out of the team, think Welbeck has the potential to be a far superior all around player.

What are others' thoughts on that one?

I'm tending to agree tbh. Chico is the better goalscorer undoubtedly, but Welbeck is the better footballer. And I want United to have as many proper footballers in the side as is possible. The best thing about Welbeck is his movement, he drags defenders all over the placeand makes so much space for others and he has an uncanny little connection with Clev as well. His first touch is amazing as well. He will be inconsistent as young players tend to be, but even in a game where he was generally poor last night he still ultimately was the difference maker. In 2-3 years' time when he fills out more he will be exceptional. Keep him in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Nasri is gone.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/terms-agreed-with-man-city-for-nasri

Arsenal are having a crappy time of it the past few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Nasri is gone.

Tbh I never quite understood why they'd strengthen their compeititers who will probably beat them in the league this year rather than to us who've beat them in the league constantly for years now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

lKx10.jpg
    Like you said HomerJay, can you spot yourself and yer man beside ya in that top pic?

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night, second half in particular. We looked good in the first but we werent as free flowing and incisive, there was no cutting plays. After a period of possession by spurs in the first ten minutes of the second half we began to carve them open spectacularly.

One of the things that I enjoyed most about it was the performance of DeGea. So calm and assured with the ball at his feet, he rarely looked hassled and found a man with his clearances kickouts a lot of the time. Although he wasnt really tested much with shots or crosses he made everything look fairly routine other than when Defoe had a kick at him.

Jones.......nuff said already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lKx10.jpg

Homerjay is in this pic, surprised he hasn't spotted himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Nasri is gone.

man they are in big trouble

Pity we wont be at the emirates thou, great time to face them

RasTa wrote: »

Wait a minute.....could it be?

128977704323210964.jpg

Homer is Danny Welbeck?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I thought at times last season even though Utd were winning matches the performances were flat,but this season so far Utd have re invented themselves with young players bringing life back into the team,great to watch and hopefully only the start of something great.

Wait a minute.....could it be?

128977704323210964.jpg

Homer is Danny Welbeck?

Maybe he's Wesley Sneijder.:eek:

Would explain a lot this Summer.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ha, just spotted him too. I was looking for him in it earlier as I know that's where his seat is, but never copped him until just there now!

flahavaj wrote: »
    Maybe he's Wesley Sneijder.:eek:

Would explain a lot this Summer.:pac:

We're on to something here Flah. I'd say Sean Bateman could be PIG/Lindegaard too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

What a result last night. Great football. I still want to see Chico back in the starting 11 though, one of my favourite players.

On DDG (*sigh*) I have stayed rather quiet on him as he was not what I wanted for our no. 1. My opinion on that hasn't changed but now that he's here I hope we see out his development as I think he'll turn good. I will say though (going over my old posts recently out of curiosity) at the start of 08/09 there was plenty of bitching about VDS and that he was passed it (from me included) and plenty calling for him to be dropped so I think the treatment De Gea is getting is extremely harsh and that's from someone who didn't want him at the club.

lol, yes indeed i am, but considering where we sit, we are always likely to be in pics as the goal celebrations always happen over our side, as the players go towards their families in the corner.

welbeck and ando celebrated right infront of us last night, andos celebtration was both brutal and brilliant at the same time..

I cringed at Ando's celebration tbh. I never want to see that again from him. The goals will do the finest though.

I cringed at Ando's celebration tbh. I never want to see that again from him. The goals will do the finest though.

So bad it was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

My OH at his celebration (in a worried tone) "is he ok?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

start season i had doubts about our right and left backs, how new goalie would adapt, also worried about centre midfield which really is engine room.

Right back smalling has looked useful, and along with rafa should go well and fabio can always switch too. I have felt same about evra have prefered fabio to him as evra seems be in decline since the world cup.

In middle both lads did well, but i worry anderson can disappear when matters and clverly is still learning, i dont like carrick one bit hes def midfielder who doesnt like covering back.

ive just realised that of andos 6 goals for united, 4 of them have come in his last 4 games.

he scored last night, v blackpool and 2 v shalke 2 weeks before that.

is he finally turning into a goal scoring midfielder? or just a false dawn!

• Advertisement

ive just realised that of andos 6 goals for united, 4 of them have come in his last 4 games.

he scored last night, v blackpool and 2 v shalke 2 weeks before that.

is he finally turning into a goal scoring midfielder? or just a false dawn!

I always felt he had the potential to become a good goalscoring midfielder.

Hopefully he has found a knack for it and keeps it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement