Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgages and "second income"?

Options
  • 20-08-2011 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭

Do all lenders have issue with second incomes?

I work 2 jobs and I'm in the middle of a bunch of mortgage applications. So far 1 lender has come back stating that they only give value to 20% of the second job.

I'd understand if the second job was temporary or not a fixed income, but my second job is fixed, permanent and worth guaranteed €15k a year.

Surely when they put so much influence on proving my ability to repay the mortgage, it makes no sense to insist on ignoring 80% of my second income which amounts to €12k?

Hopefully won't be a deal breaker but it just seems silly. My second job is as valid as the first, it just brings in less because it's part time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most people can't sustain a second position in the long term, so the income can't be relied upon. Can you demonstrate this income going back X years?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Victor wrote: »
    Most people can't sustain a second position in the long term, so the income can't be relied upon. Can you demonstrate this income going back X years?

Have been working 2 jobs for nearly 10 years but the second job was always a low earning shop job etc. Current post is in a GP service and started 3 years ago, initially on a lower wage by about €200 a month. Have been a supervisor now for a year (in September) at the higher pay scale.

Advertisement