Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Marvellous :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Ah, heck:mad:. Any chance of getting a couple of Cagliari players?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Ross said the daily mail story was rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Magpies showing big interest in McCormack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

now that Mc Dermott is gone I think it might be hard to hang on to McCormack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

SarahBM wrote: »
    now that Mc Dermott is gone I think it might be hard to hang on to McCormack.

Ross will deffo be gone. He has confirmed again that he wants to play in the Prem and Cellino has completely resigned himself to wait until 2015/16, even more so after the financial "discoveries"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Ross you owe us nothing. Showed great commitment to the club when we were in a far worse state than when others including Howson and Snod jumped ship. Good luck to ya if the offer comes in - from a Leeds perspective hopefully we pull 7-9 million if there's a few clubs interested

Dunno what effect it will have on us but Cellino's deal to sell Cagliari has gone belly up

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/9338651/leeds-owner-massimo-cellino-reveals-that-cagliari-sale-has-fallen-through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Dunno what effect it will have on us but Cellino's deal to sell Cagliari has gone belly up

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/9338651/leeds-owner-massimo-cellino-reveals-that-cagliari-sale-has-fallen-through

Is it this mpnth or next that the italian judge writes her report that the league can use to get rid of him again?

• Advertisement

Hijpo wrote: »
    Is it this mpnth or next that the italian judge writes her report that the league can use to get rid of him again?

I'm still coming to terms with George Graham letting Yeboah go ... I can't deal with all this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I'm still coming to terms with George Graham letting Yeboah go ... I can't deal with all this :D
    Youngster!!! I remember Don Revie letting Jack Charlton go :(

chughes wrote: »
    Youngster!!! I remember Don Revie letting Jack Charlton go :(

LOL.. some of us can remember getting all excited about winning the "It's a Knockout" competition on the day of the Cup Final :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That was Plan B enforced by the fans so he's gone back to Plan A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭board_stiff

Gary McAllister is in the running for the Leeds job.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27731630

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

So eamon Dolan 99.9% has the job ,

Thoughts ?

Thoughts ?

Who is he? Never heard of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Thoughts ?

Remember signing him from Exeter in Championship Manager (the original one in '92). He was a decent, cheap option for one season if starting with a crap team.

Not sure on his managerial capabilities but looks to be exactly what Cellino is looking for and not many British managers/coaches will have experienced coaching in the continental style before even if he only did it for a year or two at a very low level. Seems to have done well in Reading Academy based on U18 and U21 success and players that have come through the ranks. So he's exactly what Cellino is looking for but how that will actually pan out for us is anyones guess. Given our recently history I'm happy to take a punt on it.

Dom Matteo, Norman Hunter and more have been cut from Club Ambassador/Matchday Hospitality roles. Peter Lorimer may go too - Eddie Gray staying on. We probably needed a business-like cull of staff and unaffordable facilities at Leeds with the crazy running costs we have. Finding the balance between that and still spending enough to get out of this division will be tough.

Pat Dolans brother
    Dom Matteo, Norman Hunter and more have been cut from Club Ambassador/Matchday Hospitality roles. Peter Lorimer may go too - Eddie Gray staying on. We probably needed a business-like cull of staff and unaffordable facilities at Leeds with the crazy running costs we have

I think Eddie really IS Mr. LUTV so I can't see him being dropped. Lorimer fills in for Eddie on occasions but is sh1te and could easily be done without. Extraordinary, for a finance crowd, they seem to have been completely imept with financials. Losing £1m per month and the only recently hired Dom - crazy !!

This lad's twin brother: 200px-Pat_Dolan.jpg

Looks nothing like him mind. Pat Dolan is also Brian McDermott's agent so maybe he recommended the brother when negotiating a severance package for McDermott.

• Advertisement

oh lord jaysus are we doomed to the championship forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

At this rate we'll be lucky to have subs on the bench for the first game - Cellino might deem them an expense we can manage without for now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This is going to be an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

To make things worse we have now been warned off him by Reading...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9345032/championship-reading-issue-hands-off-warning-to-leeds-over-eamonn-dolan

However, with Cagliari now officially sold hopefully it will free up some cash-flow for MC! (wishful thinking I fear)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

I hear they are making Ground hog day 2 starring Bill Murray as Cellino. The plot is line is the murky adventures of a north of England football club doomed to repeat each season exactly the same as the last one over & over again. Until someone with REAL desire & REAL investment places it exactly where the 3rd largest City (I repeat 3rd largest with a catchement area of nearly 2million) in the UK deserves. BUT alas the same lines are drawn out over & over again. "Reduction in wage bills, reduction in overheads, the manager didnt really suit where our direction is, Leeds fans are the greatest in the world, but HE saved our club etc etc etc" Cant wait Ground Hog Day 3 is already in the pipeline. Subtitled Groundhog day 3 (Evil Santa returns)(or did he ver really leave)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

I have a feeling that Leeds won't sign anyone 30 or over.
    Not after Cellino has seen how the likes of Tonge, Norris, Varney etc have leeched money out of the club. Don't want any more journey men.

I'm holding off on my opinion of Cellino for now.
    There has to be a complete purge of everything that has gone on at the club for the last 10 years.
    Every time we lift a stone and clear the crap from under it, we find 2 more with even bigger problems and deceit underneath.

It will be painful but it needs to be done. If that means not making any "big" signings this season but actually putting something real in place rather than countless bullsh1t promises and rubbish from the likes of Bates and GFH and past it players looking for a pension top up then I'll take it.

http://www.football365.com/leeds-united/9345895/Transfer-news-Leeds-eye-move-for-Arsenal-youngster-Chuks-Aneke
    Leeds tracking Arsenal starlet
    Sky Sports understands Leeds are eyeing a move for Arsenal youngster Chuks Aneke.

World Cup Betting
    Money back if England lose, plus get another £50 matched bet
    Aneke is out of contract at the end of this month and he seems set to leave Arsenal.

The news has alerted a host of clubs to the midfielder's availability, with Aneke highly regarded at Arsenal.

The 20-year-old has impressed during the last two seasons on loan at Crewe, scoring 16 goals last season for the Alex to help them secure League One survival last term.

Crewe are keen to make Aneke's move permanent, but accept they face stiff competition from higher up the football pyramid for the former England Under-19 international's signature.

Several Championship sides are thought to have expressed an interest in Aneke, but Leeds are hoping to steal a march on their rivals as they see the player as a real bargain on a free transfer.

I'm looking to Argentina to crash and burn in the WC and Alex Sabella to come back for unfinished business :D

Looks like we might be getting the equally talented and experienced Dave Hockaday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Hockaday confirmed by Sky. We better start signing some quality because this summer has been a pretty negative affair so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Leeds have appointed the former Forrest Green boss Dave Hockaday as head coach.
    Leeds I believe is the 3rd largest city in UK , has only one football club , and you get a manager like Hockaday, don't understand why some serious money did not come in for leeds , rather than Cellino who seams the same as the last few owners you had . Fit and proper tests ?

Feal for you guys.

Gutted. Had hoped this was all Cellino's idea of a joke and if we were to have a Dave, it would have been O'Leary as opposed to Chas & Dave

Well the only way is up. We have zero expactations now for this season. L Cup game vs Accrington Stanley will more be his level :(

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

thebaz wrote: »
    Leeds have appointed the former Forrest Green boss Dave Hockaday as head coach.
    Leeds I believe is the 3rd largest city in UK , has only one football club , and you get a manager like Hockaday, don't understand why some serious money did not come in for leeds , rather than Cellino who seams the same as the last few owners you had . Fit and proper tests ?

Feal for you guys.

I'd imagine there has been some serious money come sniffing around over the years but with the previous owners and obvious poor / disastrous state of the finance and running of the club in the background I don't blame any of them for following up that interest.

MC has spoken publicly about how much cash the club is haemorrhaging weekly / monthly and options sold on future incomes etc swell the outlandish contracts some of deadweight of the squad are on so it is going to take a lot more to rebuild the club. The idea of hoping of a Sheik like Man City or Roman from Chelsea to take over are prob now a thing of the past with FFP rules...

Add to all of that the usual soap opera events like cameras in the boardroom, private jets paid by the club, past directors locked up in jail for embezzlement and the list goes on and on... it is no surprise that no serious money would want anything to do with Leeds. I have supported them for 25 odd years and even when we went into administration and down to league 1 with a points deduction the future wasn't as bleak as it is now.

A very wistful and despairing MOT.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Looks like a sunday league manager...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

So Signore Cellino lets go one super smooth media friendly average performing/results Manager for a seriously good interviewee cr*p performing/results coach........What could possibly go wrong?

Below from Wikipedia is Mr Hockadays mangerial/coach performance at FGR.........

Team From To P W D L Win %

Forest Green Rovers 09 September 2009 21 October 2013 189 64 50 75 33.86

33.86% !!!!!! Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

We have to give him a chance , writing him off before a ball has been kicked is pointless , who knows he might do a great job , he might not .

My example is when aidy bothroyd took over at Watford in 05/06 , aidy who ? Sure he is just a coach ?!!

They all forgot his experience or lack of as they got promoted in the playoff final against us , so let's just wait and see , we have tried experienced managers and it hasn't worked , so what have we got to lose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

We have to give him a chance , writing him off before a ball has been kicked is pointless , who knows he might do a great job , he might not .

My example is when aidy bothroyd took over at Watford in 05/06 , aidy who ? Sure he is just a coach ?!!

They all forgot his experience or lack of as they got promoted in the playoff final against us , so let's just wait and see , we have tried experienced managers and it hasn't worked , so what have we got to lose ?

Long time lurker and suffering fan here, like the rest of you :pac: (only posting because of the WC amnesty!)

One thing I'd point out is that Hockaday is 56 and hasn't managed outside the conference. Boothroyd is 43 (I googled!) and was only starting out in 05/06. I realise he'd no experience when starting either, but you'd have to wonder why you've never heard of a 56 year old and why he's never had a job of note.

The whole MC takeover has been nothing short of shambolic from start to finish but when he eventually got in I thought maybe he might do a bit better than any of the previous shysters (not exactly hard). This appointment is underwhelming in the extreme, can't see players lining up to play for him, even if there was any money to bring them in! None of it makes sense to me. :(

He was 1st team coach of the our lads before taking the Watford job.. another one thru the net :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

Looks like we might be getting the equally talented and experienced Dave Hockaday.

Good artist this painting went for £5.2m you could buy a decent centre half for that.
    7SJfHH.jpg

Actually he might make a better chairman and manager at least you know he has a few bob.

• Advertisement

Hard to warm to a 56 year old man that wears a tracksuit top to his first photoshoot as Leeds manager. I know coaches want to fit in with the players and not seem aloof but it just looks awful.

On a positive note he seemed to play a 4-3-3 system at Forest Green and wanted his players to keep the ball and play it around. They weren't good enough to do that and were killed on the counter attack with regularity. That he couldn't see that and adapt is a big worry. We currently are probably not good enough to do that against other Championship teams but hopefully the signings will some to promote that style of play to at least keep us entertained.

Well I was looking at the Bolton game on 30 Aug as a first trip this season. I'm cautious booking anything until I see some form of evidence of what this guy is about.

And as for Junior Lewis ........

I suppose it could be said that the majority of managers were absolute also ran type players. I certainly don't remember SG as a player at LUFC but in all honesty, you would assume that at 56, the Hock would have been picked up by someone else if he was at the races - four seasons at Forrest Green, no higher than 10th position and finally gets fired after 1 win in 8 matches.

Cellino might be somewhat cavalier in his approach but really, this is suicidal. You can imagine the abuse that Celino's son got on Twitter this afternoon I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

championc wrote: »
    Well I was looking at the Bolton game on 30 Aug as a first trip this season. I'm cautious booking anything until I see some form of evidence of what this guy is about.

And as for Junior Lewis ........

I suppose it could be said that the majority of managers were absolute also ran type players. I certainly don't remember SG as a player at LUFC but in all honesty, you would assume that at 56, the Hock would have been picked up by someone else if he was at the races - four seasons at Forrest Green, no higher than 10th position and finally gets fired after 1 win in 8 matches.

Cellino might be somewhat cavalier in his approach but really, this is suicidal. You can imagine the abuse that Celino's son got on Twitter this afternoon I'm sure.

Look at the amount of coaches cellino went through in italy, he wont be there long if he isnt up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I'm not a Leeds fan but wish the team well for the new season.

I couldn't believe it when I heard you'd appointed this non-entity. And his initial quotes smacked of very misplaced entitlement. I can only imagine the collective 'who the fcuk is this?' amongst the players.

Cellini is ripping the piss out of everyone here. And due to the media concentrating on the WC, this move will not receive the scathing criticism it should. I suspect Cellini knew this too.

The club of Don Revie appointing a failed Forest Green Rovers half-wit? You guys must be totally stunned by this.

An absolute joke.

It's obvious he's bringing him on the "strength" of his past work with young players and we'll be heavily relying on the academy players this season.

As has been noted a lot, Cagliari more often than not had 5-6 academy products in their starting line up.
    Cellino is going to try the same thing with us and sees Hock-a-loogie as the guy to bring these players through.

I for one think they deserve a chance over the muck that has been brought in to the club over the last few seasons including a lot of BMcD's signings.

I don't think this guy is the right choice though. Surely there are better candidates if this is the blueprint Cellino is working from. In fact, there's probably 2 or 3 guys already at the club who would be a better fit.
    Dave O'Leary would have been a better option but probably release a book about his interview for the job before it was awarded!

As for Hockaday's comments that the Leeds fans need to earn his respect, way to go to put your foot in it. Seems like an abrasive personality on first viewing.

All in all, he'll probably be fired by Christmas with little or no financial loss, what can he be on $100k a year? At that stage, hopefully we'll have had 1 or 2 of the academy player bed in.
    Then it'll be up to Cellino to install a proper coach/manager and get out his cheque book to keep us up next season.

All in all, unbelievably disappointing and uninspiring.

If the idea is for Hockaday to bring players through the youth academy then why put him in charge of the youth system instead of the first team! It makes absolutely no sense. I know Cellino will be looking after all transfers etc himself and only wanted a coach to pick the team and tactics etc. but clearly Hockaday isn't exactly world class in this respect either, a simple look at his win ratio will tell you this.

I'm not entirely against Cellinos ethos of wanting a Head Coach but that is on the basis of us choosing a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

The appointment is an absolute joke. I would normally be the first one to say let's get behind the new guy and give him a chance but this lad doesn't deserve to be where he is and I can't see the players responding to him. The only thing that makes any sense to me here is that this is the sacrificial lamb Cellino picked to prove he is ruthless when he sacks him after just 6 weeks of the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Wonder what odds you'd get on Dave being the first manager to go?

As for Hockaday's comments that the Leeds fans need to earn his respect, way to go to put your foot in it. Seems like an abrasive personality on first viewing.

From quote I read on YEP it seems he was talking about the players having to earn his respect, not fans. Also said he'd have to earn theirs so seems fair enough.
    “Nobody gives you respect. If I’m a big name or a little name, I have to earn respect. So I’ll earn (the players’) respect and they’ll have to earn mine. It’s a mutual thing.

“I came to Leeds as a player and an opponent and it was a horrible place to play, a tough place. I know the Leeds fans want hard work, honesty, passion and hunger. That’s my job and that’s what I’ll give them.”

Full Press Conf yesterday was interesting. You cannot but say that Cellino is passionate about the task and is 100% fully committed to it. There was plenty of thumping his fist on the table.

He did appear to take a side swipe at BMcD by clarifying again that he didn't want someone who talked a great game for the media and said he wants the coach to be exactly that, and that only. He also spoke passionately about bringing the youth through.

And as for ER and Thorp Arch, he said you cannot be a guest in your own home (i.e. renting ER) and that Thorp Arch was too far away and a replacement location nearer to ER will be found.

So interesting times ahead, both on and off the field :)

Kaka joining Orlando City who won't actually be playing until spring 2015.
    Wouldn't it be a nice antidote to the negativity to get him on loan until Christmas.
    Someone who actually has a 1st touch and can pick out a pass.

Sorry about that, I'll just pinch myself and wake up.
    Chris Humphries it is then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement