Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I am pie wrote: »
    Just read the paddy kenny nonsense, my sympathies to all Leeds fans for the suffering to come under this "fit and proper" chairman.

Disaster for a club that should be in the premier league.

Thanks man, but i do think this story is just red top journalism. he's had a tough couple of years with his personal life . he's a great shot stopper but couldnt catch a cross and he's getting on in years . time for him to move on .

Best of luck to him in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

Mind you, keeping Ashdown would have made more sense than bringing in Taylor. Taylor to me makes no sense, no matter how well you try and dress it up.

championc wrote: »
    Mind you, keeping Ashdown would have made more sense than bringing in Taylor. Taylor to me makes no sense, no matter how well you try and dress it up.

taylor is a cheaper alternative to have as back up than kenny. sure arent we getting this young italian keeper http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Silvestri

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Hijpo wrote: »
    I find it more shocking that hes the second highest earner on only 10k, I know its not the premier league but what kind if salary are they going to offer decent players, will it be the reason we get a team of Paul mcshanes

Wasnt it Cellino who stated that the likes of Hunt and Murphy where on closer to 20 thousand earlier in the year. I guess this guy just says what he wants at the time and hopes we forget about it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

this is turning into an absolute farce. will we even have a club in August?

• Advertisement

SarahBM wrote: »
    this is turning into an absolute farce. will we even have a club in August?

I can't say I agree with you on this one. We ate so financially fooked it's unreal. We can all see now that GFH completely ignored all of this -an area where you took their experience for granted.

Cellino would appear to have taken the WHOLE club, in its entirety, by the scruff of the neck, and weilded the axe where necessary. I'm not sure now many of the non-playing staff eventually departed but indications were for 15 -20%.

And as for the players, Stephen Warnock would be the only surprise to possibly move on. He was correct in letting all others go and is certainly showing that he's keen on moving on players also still under contract.

We all have our wish list on which others we hope will also depart "by mutual concent". I reckon the club are actively working to find the new clubs. I just hope they find one for Hunt.

One things for certain, we're far more financially secute than even one month ago. Of course, it will be interesting as to where the Ross money will end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

I really wish the club didn't post the photos of the players using a fecking river as an ice bath.

As much as I know and appreciate the cost cutting that is going on, this kind of stuff should be kept in house.

It's making the club look even more amateurish.
    Non league manager, non league assistant, packed lunches, washing own kit (don't know if this one is true), now cooling off in a river.
    Will pre-season step up to running up sand dunes next?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

I'm sure 2/3 signings next week will boost the enthusiasm for next season slightly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

11m fee agreed with Fulham for Ross. Is that not a bit high?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Its a couple off million more than I would have expected he'd be sold for, so I'm not complaining. What disappoints me is that he's going to another Championship team. He deserves a crack at the PL and more than likely he'll score against us next season. We just need to see the money being spent wisely now, which I'm not overly confident of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

McCormack was leaving anyway, to get £11m for him is excellent business. Good to see the club doing the shafting in the transfer market, it is usually the other way around

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Great work to get £11m for him. I can't really blame him jumping ship, even to another Championship team, when he's after seeing who we have hired as the new coach and how Cellino plans to run the club. Lets just hope a large proportion of that transfer fee is used to strengthen the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

My god the last week seems like an awful time for Leeds fans, the place is a mess.

£11m for Ross would be a fantastic price. Fulham would have plans for promotion so good move for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

It all depends on whats done with the 11 million. Will it be reinvested back into the squad? If so who will be picking the players?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

Cardiff have a 15% sell on clause supposedly... still excellent business for a player who doesn't want to be there. My own gripe is also that he has gone to another championship club, reeks of a captain jumping from a sinking ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Im nervous that we arnt signing anyone of known potential

Hijpo wrote: »
    Im nervous that we arnt signing anyone of known potential

There are always Jermaine Beckfords out there, waiting to be discovered. I'm happier so long as we aren't signing any players in their late 20's or any 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Hands up who seriously thinks the vast majority of the 11 Mill will be spent on the squad?
    Thats down payment back to Mr Bate'sell'inio for Monies spent & a little layer on top as well.

Oh we'll sign alright. Conference player here, former Championship now 2nd div there, Loanee x 4. Maybe as exotic as some retiring Italian 2nd div has been but quality thats going to get Leeds up Nah.

By Christmas the clamour for Hockadays head will be deafening & hey presto some Italian 'mate' of Bate'sell'inio will be ready to step in to stop the rot!

With some justification I personally fear for this season & others to follow. Seen nothing from this Gangster yet to convince me otherwise........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Hands up who seriously thinks the vast majority of the 11 Mill will be spent on the squad?
    Thats down payment back to Mr Bate'sell'inio for Monies spent & a little layer on top as well.

Oh we'll sign alright. Conference player here, former Championship now 2nd div there, Loanee x 4. Maybe as exotic as some retiring Italian 2nd div has been but quality thats going to get Leeds up Nah.

By Christmas the clamour for Hockadays head will be deafening & hey presto some Italian 'mate' of Bate'sell'inio will be ready to step in to stop the rot!

With some justification I personally fear for this season & others to follow. Seen nothing from this Gangster yet to convince me otherwise........

Would agree with most of that, particularly on the signings. Can't see anyone of note coming in, although if he wanted to make a statement he'd be in a position to do so. Won't happen though, since we're cost-cutting on everything else.

I think the Hock will be gone by October. On the last point, while I didn't appreciate the carry-on when he was in negotiations to buy the club, I think the fact Leeds are going to be in the sh1tter for the next few seasons is not Cellino's fault and I can't imagine the [EMAIL="cr@p"]cráp[/EMAIL] that's crawling out from under the rocks he's turning over right now :mad::(

It could be a long season for Leeds fans. Sad to see a club slowly deconstruct slowly over the year or so

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    It could be a long season for Leeds fans. Sad to see a club slowly deconstruct slowly over the year or so

I have to disagree, i think this is a building period , sure we've lost our captain and top goalscorer from last year but we set the team up around ross last year which can make an average player with average players around him look a lot better than he is .

we have shifted a good bit of the deadwood too. every season for the last 10 years our squad quality has declined and a leeds fans default status for the coming season is disappointed. I'm hopeful for next season , not for promotion but for intent. lets get a decent core of players together that are willing to play for each other and the club. we could be the costa rica of the championship.

MOT.

I have to disagree, i think this is a building period , sure we've lost our captain and top goalscorer from last year but we set the team up around ross last year which can make an average player with average players around him look a lot better than he is .

we have shifted a good bit of the deadwood too. every season for the last 10 years our squad quality has declined and a leeds fans default status for the coming season is disappointed. I'm hopeful for next season , not for promotion but for intent. lets get a decent core of players together that are willing to play for each other and the club. we could be the costa rica of the championship.

MOT.

It should be a building period, yet my guts telling me it wont be the case. More likely be the England of the Championship.... bowing out without a wimper. Which saddens me, as Leeds could be so much more

I'm hopeful for the 15/16 season. I reckon many of the young starlets wil get their chance to shine (which I accept is going the cheap route).

Thursday evening wil be interesting.

Can't complain about McCormack leaving.
    If even half of the reported 11m is invested that will be great.

I agree with most of Cellino's method of tearing it down to rebuild.
    The club is rotten to the core after Bates and GFH.

Probably won't have heard of most of the players Cellino is going to sign but he seems to have a good track record of buying cheap and selling high.
    If it's young Italian players he's bringing in, they will surely at least have good technique which can't be said of the vast majority of players currently at the club.
    Maybe they'll be able to pass the ball rather than kick it away.

Cellino has confirmed that 2 former Italian U21 players are signing.
    Marco Silvestri (23) GK
    Tommaso Bianchi (25) MC

Does McCormack have another 20+ league goal season in him? probably, is he worth 11m, absolutely not.
    I'd rather have 10 better players than we had last season rather than McCormack plus 7-8 of last season's crap.

Well we can certainly look forward to games against Norwich and Fulham to be televised now :)

dont get me wrong, but remember when Trappatoni the Italian was manager of the Republic of Ireland and it was horrible negative awful to watch tripe. I dont like italian football. I dont want Leeds to be an Italian club. If Celino brings in a load of Italian players I dont think its going to be a good thing. thats just my opinion. I hope to hell I am proved wrong, and feel free to say I told you so!

that was purely down to Trapatoni not the players.

cockaday will be responsible for getting them to play, we should have technically better players than we have at the moment.

I'm all for getting rid of anyone other than Pearce, Byram, Murphy, Mowatt and Smith.

Its good to see us get such a good price. I thought we would do well to get above 6 million for him so its good that we have such a good negotiator in Cellino. I guess this is what we heard about the man and its good to see it at Leeds but if some or all of the cash is not put back into the club then its all for nothing.
    Cellino has already said that the targets have already been picked so the money will not make a difference on that, except for the fact we now need another striker to replace McCormack. So from that early statement it would seem that the money will not be used for signings except maybe McCormacks replacement?

Link to what has been said

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-utd/leeds-owner-cellino-defends-ross-sale-1-6718035

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Correct me if i am wrong but don't GFH get 25% Cardiff city 15% of the 11million pounds for the sale of Ross?

If that is correct so in reality that leaves roughly 6 million to be spent on what?

• Advertisement

Navarre wrote: »
    Correct me if i am wrong but don't GFH get 25%

Do they? I've seen the Cardiff figure mentioned, but this is the first time I've heard about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Cellino has already said that the targets have already been picked so the money will not make a difference on that, except for the fact we now need another striker to replace McCormack. So from that early statement it would seem that the money will not be used for signings except maybe McCormacks replacement?

If they've been picked that doesn't mean they've been paid for though. I'd have thought the money would pay for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

GFH retain 25% of the club dont they? is that what your talking about?

Q_Ball wrote: »
    If they've been picked that doesn't mean they've been paid for though. I'd have thought the money would pay for them

He states in the article basically that the money will not make a difference on who we where going for.
    Therefore the money will not change a thing according to Cellino s remarks. Which would suggest that for starters the money will not be used on players bar maybe a striker to replace McCormack. All in the above article. Of course it may go elsewhere in the club. Time will tell.
    Its just interesting that he has already played down that the money could be used for strengthening the squad even further.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I personally think that Cellino meant that he didn't need to sell McCormack in order to buy the players that we are targeting. He already had the finances in place to do so. The club might not be in a great financial position be Cellino certainly isn't poor. Lets hope that he manages to get in a high quality striker to replace McCormack.

Overall, there is a peculiar silence over Morison. You would have expected his name to be mentioned in some way during the fallout of the Ross sale

• Advertisement

Overall, there is a peculiar silence over Morison. You would have expected his name to be mentioned in some way during the fallout of the Ross sale

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Marco Silvestri and Tommaso Bianchi have signed today on 4 and 3 year deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Brede Hangeland let go by Fulham. I suppose no chance Cellino would give him a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Eh he was on £60k a week at Fulham , no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

4-0 up already after 30mins in our friendly against FC Gheirdeina.

3 goals from Hunt and 1 from Morrison. :eek:

• Advertisement

Have we secretly signed two new players who coincidentally have the surnames Hunt and Morison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Zaph wrote: »
    Have we secretly signed two new players who coincidentally have the surnames Hunt and Morison?

We've either turned into the most amazing team, or the other side are garbage.

6-0 now. Walters and another goal for Morison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

They are an amateur side, I wouldn't get carried away with our prospects yet :pac:

12 - 0 now. Would have just been better playing one Leeds XI vs the other Leeds XI

16-0 fulltime. thank god it wasnt 17 or cellinio would have been pissed. smith got 6

12 - 0 now. Would have just been better playing one Leeds XI vs the other Leeds XI

Is that a joke? 12-0 against a n amateur team is just mean. You would think they would have stopped at 10 ;-)

Well they didn't even stop at 12. As Private Joker posted, it ended 16-0. From Adam Pope's twitter the scorers were Smith (6) Hunt (3) 1 pen , Morison (2), Poleon (2), Norris, Walters, Murphy. Silvestri went in goal for Gheirdeina for the last few minutes. He probably hadn't seen the ball up to then. Brief report and line-ups here.

They are in the tenth tier of the Italian Leagues so not exactly a tough game! I'm sure it was more about getting the fitness levels and sharpness up than anything else.

Big news from the past hour

1. Jonathan Rossini and Soulemayne Doukara both coming

2. Club now debt free and have 20m + working capital - this excludes McCormack money

3. Stadium to be bought back and will NOT be renamed to any corporate brand.

4. Haigh still locked up in Dubai :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement