Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

KJ wrote: »
    Quick question here regarding Leeds United related books. I've read David O'Leary's book and have The Damned United here. Are there any others written about Leeds or by ex-players worth reading?

The book that made me fall in love with Leeds was called White Heat about the 11 greatest players of the club. I loved it. http://www.amazon.com/White-Heat-Leeds-United-Dream/dp/1851588868

Gordan Strachan's book is great and I loved John Giles's book too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Quick question here regarding Leeds United related books. I've read David O'Leary's book and have The Damned United here. Are there any others written about Leeds or by ex-players worth reading?

I won 'An A to Z history of Elland Road (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Only-Place-Us--Z-History/dp/1785310089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459284403&sr=8-1&keywords=jon+howe) in an LUTV competition (reckon I was the only person who entered:)) Really enjoyed it, but its more a book you can dip in and out of and is full of interesting facts, such as there was an exhibition Gaelic Football in ER in 1988 between the Dubs and Meath...

Jon Howe's also written this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-White-Uniteds-Greatest-Players/dp/1908051388/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1459284403&sr=8-3&keywords=jon+howe which again is more of a reference book...

Dave Simpson's the Last Champions is more of a book you can read for a prolonged period (if that makes sense) and follows the same format as his book about finding members of the Fall whereas this time he's trying to get an interview with David Batty and Cantona ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

SarahBM wrote: »
    The book that made me fall in love with Leeds was called White Heat about the 11 greatest players of the club. I loved it. http://www.amazon.com/White-Heat-Leeds-United-Dream/dp/1851588868
    You just reminded me that I actually had that book as a child. I wonder if I still have it somewhere.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Doukara banned for 8 games for biting a Fulham player last month. His banning today was the first I heard of the incident. What an idiot to do something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

Zaph wrote: »
    Doukara banned for 8 games for biting a Fulham player last month. His banning today was the first I heard of the incident. What an idiot to do something like that.

I remember it being reported after the game and there were suggestions that the bite mark was there before and player was trying to frame the Douk - absolutely insane stuff altogether!!

On another note, a few more academy players have been shown the road and huge internal issues by all accounts. Also SE supposedly granted the players a holiday over the international break but it was blocked by MC, a few players still went and MC is fuming with SE. Doesn't bode well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I remember it being reported after the game and there were suggestions that the bite mark was there before and player was trying to frame the Douk - absolutely insane stuff altogether!!

On another note, a few more academy players have been shown the road and huge internal issues by all accounts. Also SE supposedly granted the players a holiday over the international break but it was blocked by MC, a few players still went and MC is fuming with SE. Doesn't bode well.

So it was just another normal day then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Alright, so I haven't really been following the goings on at the club, on or off the pitch, for the last few weeks due to work and a mental busy schedule etc.

But from the snippets I have heard our "winning streak" came to an abrupt stop and Cellino is still meddling in the football business.

Seriously, how much more of this rubbish can the fans be expected to take??!!? I'm nearly (and I say NEARLY) getting to the point where I don't care anymore. I wish we could go back to 2010. That last month of the season was amazing. and that final game, Beckford coming on and scoring the goal that sent us up. Magic.
    Will we ever get that again? I'm starting to doubt it.

Another point thrown away. Rotherham were down to 10 men after an hour and we still couldn't capitalise on it. Then Silvestri gets a straight red in the 90th minute and they score from the penalty. Totally depressing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

At least we're not villa fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

As bad as Villa are, they'll still finish above us in the league next season.

• Advertisement

Q_Ball wrote: »
    At least we're not villa fans?

I don't think one relegation puts Villa anywhere near our category of misery, they've had it soft for a long time, extended periods in the top flight, a good few seasons in European football, the odd league cup and good cup run, even a European Cup in the 80s, no flirting with going out of business...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

True ... when it comes to football misery we have the market cornered

DoctaDee wrote: »
    True ... when it comes to football misery we have the market cornered

Man City were another club that suffered. But they've certainly left that behind!

I can't actually understand why a gazillionaire would have bought City. I never minded City but it's like...they're not even the biggest team in that city, and it's hard to see them ever catching the imagination of the masses.

Another two points thrown away tonight because of a late penalty. I don't know if I'm :mad: or :( at this stage.

The good news, now we're safe from relegation, is that surely Evans hasn't set the world alight. I don't think he's been too bad, and don't envy any person working with Cellino...I just don't like him and his rap sheet and would rather he wasn't managing LUFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

On tv v Burnley, be nice to get something here.

Mushy wrote: »
    On tv v Burnley, be nice to get something here.

I'd settle for not getting hammered tbh.

I'd settle for not getting hammered tbh.

Thats 10 years of confidence shattering performances summed up in one comment there! And I agree too

1 minute...**** that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

It looks like your going too be in for a long afternoon.

Bailey Peacock Farrell?

Makes me yearn for the days when they had proper names, like Batty and Haddock...:)

And don't even get me started on the 50 something manager with what looks like blond highlights in his hair. Come back Howard Wilkinson.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

We have actually played well, Chris Wood is an absolute donkey though. Missed two great chances.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    We have actually played well, Chris Wood is an absolute donkey though. Missed two great chances.

Yeah really should've got those. Should have had a penalty too for the nudge on Antenucci!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Picked up John Giles' autobiography yesterday in a charity shop for €1. They had Lee Sharpe's as well but figured that wouldn't have much Leeds content in it.

• Advertisement

They had Lee Sharpe's as well but figured that wouldn't have much Leeds content in it.

Or much about football, for that matter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

charpromo.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I'm heading over on Saturday morning for the Reading game. My first time to Elland Road in two yewrs. I'm getting the early morning flight so I arrive at 9am. I'm bringing my 15 year nephew and I've zero interest in drinking. Anyone any ideas oh how to kill a few hours in Leeds!?

I'm heading over on Saturday morning for the Reading game. My first time to Elland Road in two yewrs. I'm getting the early morning flight so I arrive at 9am. I'm bringing my 15 year nephew and I've zero interest in drinking. Anyone any ideas oh how to kill a few hours in Leeds!?

Could pass 30 mins to an hour in this very cool gadget store. Apart from that all I know is pubs.

http://www.menkind.co.uk/storelocator/leedstrinity/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

The centre of Leeds is grand for a wander around for a few hours, and then walk out to ER - it's only about a 30 min walk.

• Advertisement

There's also a huge market selling all sorts of stuff that's worth visiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

There's also a protest march against Cellino! starting at 1, so that should be good.....wear something purple.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

If its possible you could take the Elland road tour. Worth it if you have not done it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭tfer

The Leeds Royal Armouries is very interesting, free admission and open at 10am. The place is huge and would pass the time nicely

If you're hiring a car, could take in Saltaire outside Bradford, I'd say about 10 miles from airport, could then skirt Bradford - it ain't pretty - and head on to Leeds...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltaire

Cracker of a game to go to. Nice to come out on top of a tight game.

Well done to Lewis Cook, the Football League Young Player of the Year. That's the same award that Fabian Delph won in 2009 and previous winners include Gareth Bale, Nathaniel Clyne and Dele Alli last year, so it's got a bit of a pedigree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

And Cannavaro was at E.R. yesterday..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Leeds have just been on MOTD2!! Not for a good reason though! - linked to relegation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

jacool wrote: »
    Leeds have just been on MOTD2!! Not for a good reason though! - linked to relegation

Is it because of Cellino shenanigans or some other reason?

• Advertisement

Interview with Cellino in yesterday's Telegraph. According to him Carlo Ancelotti wants to manage the club if Leeds make it back to the Premier League. Because managing Leeds is so much more attractive than Bayern Munich presumably!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Looks like we scored the type of goals we usually concede. What looked to be a free header the wood nearly made a hash of and a miss kick clearance in midfield on top of a slip from a center half.

Zaph wrote:
    Well done to Lewis Cook, the Football League Young Player of the Year. That's the same award that Fabian Delph won in 2009 and previous winners include Gareth Bale, Nathaniel Clyne and Dele Alli last year, so it's got a bit of a pedigree.

That's him gone in the summer so. Should give us a half decent warchest

Interview with Cellino in yesterday's Telegraph. According to him Carlo Ancelotti wants to manage the club if Leeds make it back to the Premier League. Because managing Leeds is so much more attractive than Bayern Munich presumably!

Strangely the thing from that interview that annoys me the most is the picture of Cellino. Says it all. He wants to be the star attraction and play up to the cameras. Everyone else should know their place and be his whipping boys. Has any other football chairman tried so hard to be "cool" like him?

Massimo-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Compulsive liar, cheat (business, tax & god knows what else) & hyper inflated EGO. WE (LUFC) are going nowhere under his tutelage. TTGM........

And where would Ryanair be without Michael O'Leary ? He's Cellino all over - and worse !!

Ultimately, he can only be blamed for two things
    1. His pick of Manager
    2. The level of money he gives that manager to spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭tfer

That's some offer made regarding up to 50% money back on season tickets if we don't reach the play offs next year. Is it a ploy to get as much money into his pockets before he leaves or is it a genuine statement of intent to buy some decent players and actually challenge the division, we shall soon find out I suppose
    It's never dull supporting this team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

It' a nice touch in fairness! Wonder will they take up on the offer! According to Phil Hay Season Tickets were only about 12k this season!

Be a big boost to have Elland Road hoppin again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Nice 2 1 win tonight, Now 11th in the table. If only the club wasn't run like a circus and had a sane chairman, oh what we could achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

11th! Bamba with a cracker and Doo-reee-gaga!

Steve Evans the saviour!

He's a sound man !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement