Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

So we have a new shirt sponsor - 32Red !!!

At least it will be written in Blue :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

championc wrote: »
    So we have a new shirt sponsor - 32Red !!!

At least it will be written in Blue :)

Should be a decent income from them. Cellino saying again today that he's happy to sell as he's so unloved in England. Just wants to be adored, the poor man. He'll have the backing of the fans if he sells soon or spends €20+ properly with a good manager. Moving from controversy to controversy and talking to the papers every second day won't get him much love. He's done some very good things but so much bad that it gets lost in the mud. Next season would be a good one to have a go imo as Villa, Newcastle and Norwich this year might be the worst 3 to go down in a good while. All will struggle to get back up (although Newcastle can change that quicker than the other 2).

Interested to see Brighton in the play-offs. Tough to finish so far ahead of the rest and so close to top 2 and now in a lotto system. Derby or Hull can hammer anyone on their day.

I reluctantly agree with you in the light of the managers who've been linked.

Just thinking about that now after I had a nice day dream about Quique Sanchez Flores taking us up next year. Looked at managers without a club currently hat have worked in Championship or are young enough to possibly move down to it: Nigel Pearson, Tim Sherwood, Gary Monk, Steve McLaren, Gary McAllister, Steve Clarke, Paul Clement, Roberto Di Matteo, Neil Lennon, Dougie Freedman, Dennis Wise, Sinsa Mihajlovic. Others on betting market are Roberto Martinez, Brendan Rogers, Chris Coleman, David O'Leary, David Moyes, Simon Grayson, Mick McCarthy, Michael Appleton, Karl Robinson, Fabio Cannavaro, John Sheridan, Roberto Mancini (WTF?!?!?) and my day dream man Quique Sanchez Flores.

Some serious talent in there but I'm sure it'll come down to a race between Sheridan and Michael Appleton or other boring names. Would really, really love to see about half of those names given the job and free reign with a decent budget. Can only dream....

Cellino saying again today that he's happy to sell as he's so unloved in England...

Does he not realise that, at this stage, the insanity is actually just boring. As are his constant references to selling, as if anyone believes it, or maybe we thinks we should be holding his legs and saying "oh please, please don't go"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Does he not realise that, at this stage, the insanity is actually just boring. As are his constant references to selling, as if anyone believes it, or maybe we thinks we should be holding his legs and saying "oh please, please don't go"

The guy is a narcissist/sociopath. I honestly believe that he believes everything he is saying is the truth. Its just that any rationally thinking person can see through the bvllsh1t. I really hope this is the end but I really dont think it will be. I think a lot of what he says and does is a way of buying himself more time in the hope that things will improve and the fans will be less angry by all the crazy antics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Just thinking about that now after I had a nice day dream about Quique Sanchez Flores taking us up next year. Looked at managers without a club currently hat have worked in Championship or are young enough to possibly move down to it: Nigel Pearson, Tim Sherwood, Gary Monk, Steve McLaren, Gary McAllister, Steve Clarke, Paul Clement, Roberto Di Matteo, Neil Lennon, Dougie Freedman, Dennis Wise, Sinsa Mihajlovic. Others on betting market are Roberto Martinez, Brendan Rogers, Chris Coleman, David O'Leary, David Moyes, Simon Grayson, Mick McCarthy, Michael Appleton, Karl Robinson, Fabio Cannavaro, John Sheridan, Roberto Mancini (WTF?!?!?) and my day dream man Quique Sanchez Flores.

Some serious talent in there but I'm sure it'll come down to a race between Sheridan and Michael Appleton or other boring names. Would really, really love to see about half of those names given the job and free reign with a decent budget. Can only dream....

Big Mick would be my dream appointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Cellino, Leeds & Agent Derek Day have been charged by the FA for breaching football agent regulations regarding the transfer of Ross Mc Cormack to Fulham. Hopefully a ban for Mr C. that might see him scuttle off back to where he came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Anyone excited about Darrell Clarke (Bristol Rovers) taking the reins at ER ? .. back to back promotions with BR and a spell with Salisbury City ... Karl Robinson had the common sense to turn us down .. I despair I really do ..

Anyone taking over with Cellino in charge can't be a manager to get excited about. The way he's treated Evans and the fans with a lack of information or consideration since the season ended means that anyone taking the job is in it for the money or has severe mental issues.

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Anyone excited about Darrell Clarke (Bristol Rovers) taking the reins at ER ? .. back to back promotions with BR and a spell with Salisbury City ... Karl Robinson had the common sense to turn us down .. I despair I really do ..

That's a good run, he could keep Leeds up despite the owner...

Waahaay!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

While I wouldn't be a particular fan of Evans as a person, I think the way he's being treated by Cellino at the moment is appalling. Cellino never has any problems sacking managers, so if he doesn't want Evans there then why doesn't he just pull the trigger rather than have the man humiliated publicly as the club makes offers to anyone they can think of? Personally I think Evans has done enough to deserve a chance to build the squad over the summer and give it a go next season. What I can see happening though is that he'll be strung along until the end of June when his contract is up, we'll eventually get someone in after that and by the time they figure out what players they need we'll be left with the dregs that nobody else wants in the transfer market. Again.

I wonder what would happen if everyone said no to Cellino - there's no way that he can ask Evans to stay now.

While I admire Evans's passion, Mirco's comments about the coaching at the weekend are believable and therefore, maybe we really do need a change. Above all years, I think the league this year was one of the easiest for a decent team to get promoted.

I've said it again and again, that Grayson was the last manager to get players to overachieve, which is what's needed to get promoted. However, I see Clark's win rate is just above 50% over the past two seasons, which is pretty decent by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Clarke deal fallen through, he's staying with Bristol.

What now?

Also McDermott sacked by Reading :(

Yeah seen that on twitter - I'm guessing that his trip to Italy is to line up some 2nd rate coach from serie B -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Big Mick would be my dream appointment

Sinisa Mihajlovic from that list would be a great appointment for Leeds. He was doing a fine job in steadying the ship at AC Milan before he was unfairly dismissed because he didnt get on with Berlusconi

• Advertisement

Yeah seen that on twitter - I'm guessing that his trip to Italy is to line up some 2nd rate coach from serie B -

Ivan Juric, Luis Diego Lopez, Gianluca Festa and Roberto Stellone are 4 of the five favourites behind a familiar face as evens favourite in the betting now so I assume you're bang on as I've never heard of any of them, apart from Festa as a player and Juric in recent rumour mill. Karl Robinson the other one of the 5 but he's already said no. Who is that evens favourite you ask??? Steve Evans!

CjeB6pBWkAACSLl.jpg

Decent journo Relucant Nico on Twitter said today that Cellino has approached 8 coaches/managers in the last 3 or 4 weeks and all have declined his advances. Prob why Evans is fav again, no one else will touch it. 6 of the 8 are named and two are hush hush:
    Zenga *** Sheridan Robinson Ianichi Juric *** Clarke

Wasn't Festa approached previously ? ... I seem to remember Cellino wanting him to sit in the dugout with Brian McD .. or maybe I'm talking out my blowhole

None of them inspire any type of feeling that next season will be any different tbh, add to that the 3 relatively big boys in Newcastle, Villa & Norwich and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that next season will be a hell of a lot harder to make a mark

Another thing .. Is Lorimer on Cellinos payroll, any article I've read recently he seems to be an apologist for the goings on in ER

Wasn't Festa approached previously ? ... I seem to remember Cellino wanting him to sit in the dugout with Brian McD .. or maybe I'm talking out my blowhole

None of them inspire any type of feeling that next season will be any different tbh, add to that the 3 relatively big boys in Newcastle, Villa & Norwich and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that next season will be a hell of a lot harder to make a mark

Another thing .. Is Lorimer on Cellinos payroll, any article I've read recently he seems to be an apologist for the goings on in ER

Festa was sniffing around before when McDermott was in charge. Overlooked training twice and Cellino wanted him to sit on the bench during a game but BMcD refused.

Lorimer is on the payroll and has always backed any owner that pays him. Slagged off Grayson just before and after he left and has backed anything Cellino has done since he arrived. He's technically a club ambassador since 2013, he was a Director before that under Bates.

Nothing positive anywhere. Great time to be a Leeds fan.

Yeah that's about my take on things too. There were rumours that "LUFC" or someone that owns it, had about a dozen people or so doing the rounds on any social media twitter/forums/comment pages on YEP spinning the Cellino line - Lorimer doesn't need to hide behind a screen name by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Gary Monk now 1/3 fav to get the job.......thats 6 odds on managers so far and its still May

• Advertisement

Gary Monk now 1/3 fav to get the job.......thats 6 odds on managers so far and its still May

Surely he's not that daft. Hope he is though. One month til all the clubs release their free agents and Evans' contract expires. Action is needed soon. I'll help Cellino out and list a full team that we'll take:

Goalkeeper - Artur Boruc

Defence - Brede Hangeland/Sylvain Distain, Steven Taylor, Marc Wilson, Joey O'Brien (is he RB or CM??)

Midfield - Tom Carroll, Rolando Aarons, Darron Gibson, Kieron Richardson

Attack - Charles N'Zogbia, Marouane Chamakh

Had to stretch the imagination a bit with attack!

Evans gone. Statement from the club:
    STEVE EVANS
    Leeds United can confirm that the Club has parted company with head coach Steve Evans.

Evans, along with his assistant Paul Raynor, leaves with the Club’s best wishes following a seven-month stay at Elland Road.

United chairman Massimo Cellino said: “I would like to thank Steve Evans for his efforts as the head coach of Leeds United.

“Steve completed the job he was brought in to carry out – to keep the team in the Championship - and his hard work here has been greatly appreciated. I wish him and Paul Raynor the very best for the future.

“We have, however, decided that a different approach is required in order to achieve our targets for the new season.

“The Club is now looking to appoint a new head coach to build on the good work of Steve and Paul and deliver the special season which our supporters deserve.”

The process to appoint a new head coach is underway and a further announcement will be made here on leedsunited.com in due course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Zaph wrote: »
    Evans gone. Statement from the club:

Being interviewed on SS News now.

RTOzNu8.jpg

Steve Evans farewell statement. Another gent gone...I want to get off this rollercoaster.

Shlippery wrote: »
    RTOzNu8.jpg

Steve Evans farewell statement. Another gent gone...I want to get off this rollercoaster.

A gent?

A complete cowboy and a crook. The best conmen are the ones who seem like gents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Private Joker

looks like garry monk has been appointed on a 2 year contract. being reported on twitter

looks like garry monk has been appointed on a 2 year contract. being reported on twitter

Now that would seem like a good appointment. I'd be hopeful he might keep us up. But with Cellino around, no huge confidence.

So he'll be gone by October then, I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

On paper he's a great appointment but for years now we have turned silk purses into sows ears so I fully expect him to be gone, frustrated and demoralised after a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Press conference announced for 2:30pm today.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was to announce that Garry Monk has been sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Zaph wrote: »
    So he'll be gone by October then, I presume?

To shamelessly rob a comment from elsewhere, only two Leeds managers to Christmas!

Confirmed it's Monk. 1 year rolling contract.

Cj8U9JAXEAEes5o.jpg

So MC is giving it one more go to see if he can work with English coaches .. and Monk has swallowed his pride stating that he'd return to management at the top of the game.... it's great that a PL manager has come to ER, but he'll quickly realise there's no Williams, Gomis, Bony or Sigurssons to work with - a bold move on his part and a potential CV wrecker ... best of luck chap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

He would better be careful if he ever comes to Dublin!! (With a name like that:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Kalyke wrote: »
    He would better be careful if he ever comes to Dublin!! (With a name like that:D)

I was just thinking that myself. His new nickname... Gary "The Hutch" Monk.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

With Evans gone my fiver is safe. Cellino is too unstable to have stuck with a manager going into the summer. no matter how good he was.

SarahBM wrote:
    With Evans gone my fiver is safe. Cellino is too unstable to have stuck with a manager going into the summer. no matter how good he was.

TBH, could we really have seen Evans having the team fighting for top spot right the way through the season ? I really can't but yet, i could with Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

championc wrote: »
    TBH, could we really have seen Evans having the team fighting for top spot right the way through the season ? I really can't but yet, i could with Monk

Fair enough. Im just saying the guy didn't really do anything wrong. It's a cut-throat business though.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Looking forward the new season with Monk in charge.

Great we have someone with experience of the english leagues both playing and managing rather than an unknown from Italy.

I'd image he we will be a positive influence on the younger players being quite a young manager himself.

Hopefully he is given a bit of a budget to play with as we need to a few new players and some leaders.

• Advertisement

Few players back 2 weeks early for preseason (Bamba, Murphy, Cooper for sure and Murphy said there were 6 in yesterday) is a good sign for Monk. All praising his appointment naturally. Should be a name that gets players interested in joining us should the money be there.

Linked heavily with Kemar Roofe League 2 Player of the Year and scorer of 26 goals for Oxford last season. Also still in for Ashley Flether (8 goals in 16 starts on loan at Barnsley) from ManU either on loan if he re-signs with them or permanently if he walked away (would cost us via tribunal).

Apparently a deal has been completed and we've signed this striker on a 3 year contract. Decent return last season/this season in terms of goals.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Antonsson

Also, two friendlies in Dublin announced for July. Wednesday 13th vs Shelbourne and Saturday 16th vs Shamrock Rovers.
    http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article/ujz8008pbvl81pxzpxsmnvokz

KJ wrote: »
    Also, two friendlies in Dublin announced for July. Wednesday 13th vs Shelbourne and Saturday 16th vs Shamrock Rovers.
    http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article/ujz8008pbvl81pxzpxsmnvokz

Delighted. Can't wait. Better than trekking off to Italy or eastern Europe!

Gutted - I'm away on holidays that week :-(

http://www.skysports.ie/leeds-united-fixtures

Fixtures out. Opening match against QPR is on Sky. November and December looking the toughest. Only 3 games in Nov and Norwich away and Newcastle at home are two of them. Villa twice in December along with Brighton away. Not bad outside of those months although wouldn't fancy the last 5 games with a lot riding on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Raging the home Newcastle game is November, I'm away that month. Will make the return game with a Newcastle supporting mate though, should be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

First signing is official - http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article/1nsxt83dgmour1c2f180hiktyt/title/united-seal-antonsson-deal

Fee could rise to £2 million it is being reported and he was the top scorer in Sweden (I know) last year. Didn't make it on the Euro's squad but it still young and has some potential.

Hopefully a sign of things to come...

Tickets for the Shamrock Rovers game are on sale this Friday. There is some sort of Q&A before the match to be announced.
    http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/latest-news/4309-leeds-united-friendly

Stupid Question, but it hardly matters where you get tickets for the game does it?
    "Away fans should purchase the Visiting Team tickets."

I wouldn't be the biggest Shelbourne fan by any means :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement