Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

The cut in the shorts looks retarded! And Tom Lees finally smiles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Seems to be a bit of discontent (on waccoe and here) with the kind of players we're being linked with, the like of Varney, Norris etc... People have said we're only looking at last year's relegation strugglers, but look at Warnock's track record, not just with promotions, but signings:

His last promotion came with QPR. The summer beforehand, he made 8 signings.
    3 were bargain basement free transfers (Leon Clarke, Shaun Derry & Clint Hill), 4 were undisclosed fees (Jamie Mackie, Rob Hulse, Adel Taarabt & Bradley Orr) and the other was £750,000 for Paddy Kenny.

Of the 8 signings he made, 4 of them were from teams who finished either 21st or lower. Only one (Orr), finished above QPR the season beforehand.

The previous season, Mackie scored 8 goals for Plymouth, who were relegated comfortably. He can play up front or on the wing. Last season, Luke Varney scored 6 in a Portsmouth side that arguably shouldn't have been relegated, he too can play up front or on the wing...sound similar?

Taarabt was the only "marquee" signing Warnock made and perhaps the only real flare player in QPR's team in 10/11....we've already got a Taarabt though, his name is Robert Snodgrass ;)

Leon Clarke came from Wednesday, they were relegated too! The point being that, apart from Taarabt, the players Neil signed were no great shakes. They were all solid, consistent, 7.5/10 Championship men! They were promoted automatically by 8 points, won the league by 4 and were top from November 20th onwards.

I hope Neil gets the players HE wants, be it Varney, Norris or Paul McShane....it's Neil frickin' Warnock!!! If he can't get us up, no one can :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Clayton gone to huddersfield it seems :(
    Disgusted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

yeah, pretty annoyed about that too.
    look on the bright side though, we've now got paul green instead of him.
    now if we can replace snodgrass with Liam Lawrence or glenn whelan we'll really be motoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

LOVE that away kit! Shorts look ridiculous though

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

yeah reminds me of the blue packard bell jersey circa 1998 .. which i still wear on occasion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Glad it was Grayson who got Clayton, but I can't believe we f***in sold him. I hope with this takeover we get Snoddy, McCormack and White all tied down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Confirmed that Varney is in talks with Leeds.

Was expected, but I hope Norris signs with us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

maximoose wrote: »
    LOVE that away jersey! Shorts look ridiculous though

fixed that for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It's Friday where's the take over?!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

Takeover or not, we're not going up this season. To replace a young, hungry and talented player like Adam Clayton with a carthorse like Paul Green, as well as probably replacing Ross McCormack with Luke Varney tells me all I need to know.

In regards to Warnock's spell at QPR and not needing to spend big to get them up, while the majority of his signings that season were considered run of the mill Championship journeymen, there was already considerable talent there when he arrived who were just as crucial to achieving promotion that season in Akos Buszaky, Alejandro Faurlin, Kaspar Gorkks, Heidar Helguson, Matty Connolly and Fitz Hall.

We simply don't have players of that quality here right now to compliment Warnock's uninspiring plodders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Squad is looking very bare at the minute but I'd say we've some players lined up pending the takeover, Kenny and Peltier for example.

With 5 and a half weeks or so until the season starts, we still need a vast amount of signings.

If Warnock has been given the go-ahead to press on with transfers then for all we know there could be an influx after the potential takeover. I would imagine we would have kept Clayton if we were struggling in the market. Bit risky letting him leave now considering CM is an area low in numbers.

Disappointed to see Claytion leave, thought he had great potential.

Takeover or not, we're not going up this season. To replace a young, hungry and talented player like Adam Clayton with a carthorse like Paul Green, as well as probably replacing Ross McCormack with Luke Varney tells me all I need to know.

In regards to Warnock's spell at QPR and not needing to spend big to get them up, while the majority of his signings that season were considered run of the mill Championship journeymen, there was already considerable talent there when he arrived who were just as crucial to achieving promotion that season in Akos Buszaky, Alejandro Faurlin, Kaspar Gorkks, Heidar Helguson, Matty Connolly and Fitz Hall.

We simply don't have players of that quality here right now to compliment Warnock's uninspiring plodders

Christ...it's July 6th???
    If they had such a good quality players before NW came and signed those journeymen how come they finished 13th? With 57 points....we would have finished higher, we achieved 61 last season!

They were all solid Championship players, like the ones we're being linked with now.

Buszaky only made 19 league appearances, 10 as a sub, and I don't rate him tbh.

Helguson was 33 at the start of their promotion season, he scored 13 in the league, McCormack got 16 last season.

I don't see how Matt Connolly is classed as 'quality' and none of the players we're being linked with aren't.

Fitz Hall has hardly played for QPR since Warnock left, and has since been released....he's a good Championship player, like the rest of them, like Varney and like Norris. We may well see him in white next season!

Faurlin is a quality player however, I'll give you that.

Kenny
    Peltier, Lees, Pearce, Drury/Pugh/White
    Green, Norris
    Varney,Snodgrass, Pugh/White
    Becchio

Few additions still needed (starting LM, CB, poss LB), but that doesn't look half bad for this stage of the summer, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Not a fan of a Green/Norris partnership at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

JokerD wrote: »

That's part of the problem- great potential- but we need an all conquering CM NOW !

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

event wrote: »
    Bit harsh IMO.

Did you post here before under a different name?
    Harsh why?

And no, I did not

Of course you did Death or Glory/The Everlasting/The Hustler/DirtyLeeds, and guess what? You're banned again. Don't come back, you're not welcome here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

championc wrote: »
    JokerD wrote: »

That's part of the problem- great potential- but we need an all conquering CM NOW !

Paul green is definitely not an all conquering midfielder

I really hope he is just going to be a squad player and not one of our main players.

What was our starting line up first game of last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

Chambers signed 3 year deal with Ipswich, so there's another slipped through the net..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Still nothing on the takeover...

Should we be getting worried at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

All has gone very quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Rumours that our beloved ex player Harry Kewell is possibly joining Blackburn. I wonder what reception he would get at Elland Road :)

id get a flight over just to spit on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Paddy Kenny has said on twitter that he isnt starting pre-season today, rather that he has other stuff tomorrow at 1pm.

Let's hope the Kenny signing helps with this:

@OptaJoe: 78% - Leeds United conceded a higher percentage of goals from open play than any other team in the 2011-12 Championship. Overwhelmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Folks - I come in here for a lot of my updates and it has got unnervingly quiet on the takeover front. Please tell me it is still happening!!

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Folks - I come in here for a lot of my updates and it has got unnervingly quiet on the takeover front. Please tell me it is still happening!!

:confused:

I think we are all just holding our breath and hoping for the best at the mo.:o

i think it'll happen, but its just gonna take time.
    Leeds fans especially jump to conclusions very quickly, so we are all panicing. Due dilligence (which is what they were granted) can take weeks.

Paddy kenny tweeted:

Early night tonight big day tomorrow but all will be unveiled very soon #tomorrow #cantwait #readyforbed

The Takeover I'm sure will happen because mainly, it makes Business sense and in this regard, will do so long as Bates doesn't put a ridiculous price on his stake.

Most potential investors were possibly unaware that Bates would even sell but alienating himself from fans has possibly given him an easier decision to get out.

If Kenny comes in today, it's possibly on the back of money coming in for Clayton and so, the merry go round will start - Lonners out, lads from Portsmouth in .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

So what was supposed to happen at 1pm? Have we actually signed Paddy yet?

Q_Ball wrote: »
    So what was supposed to happen at 1pm? Have we actually signed Paddy yet?

Yep, all official now, three year deal

@dewsyleeds: The best keep secret in football... @p20ddy joins Leeds United on a 3 year contract #lufc

@dewsyleeds: The gaffer on @p20ddy "I think he’s the most important signing I’ll make while I’m at Leeds United. I rate him that highly" #lufc

• Advertisement

Should never have sold Kasper tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

quarryman wrote: »

One could fill a book of "should never..." with Leeds in the past few seasons alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

quarryman wrote: »

One could fill a book of "should never..." with Leeds in the past few seasons alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sheik Abdul Rahman bin Mubarak al Khalifa is the investor. Thats the same Sheik that tried to buy Leeds just before relegation from the PL.

Sheik Abdul Rahman bin Mubarak al Khalifa is the investor. Thats the same Sheik that tried to buy Leeds just before relegation from the PL.

where'd you get this from?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The Yorkshire Post have the story, quoting the Gulf Weekly, which is Bahraini paper. The al Khalifa family is the ruling royal family in Bahrain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

event wrote: »
    where'd you get this from?

I got from my contact in Leeds.

if this goes through, i might make the blackburn game.
    saturday 1st september at home, 15:00.
    fly in and out of leeds from dublin for 58e altogether.
    should get a ticket easy enough too. will be a big crowd, but wont sell out IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

There are strong suggestions from so called ITK's over on the Dirty Leeds forum that the take-over 'may' be announced tomorrow. Of course, they also have suggested that it was to have happened last Wednesday, last Friday etc. but seem a wee bit more certain now. I'm not gonna hold my breath but I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed. Al Khalifa has been firmly outed there as the buyer since the club announcement of the due diligence so I don't know why the YP thinks this is news. Probably because of lack of any other firm news. Anyway, here's hoping it IS tomorrow so we can get out of this Limbo and start dreaming of the bright future ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I'd expect the board would call for a press conference in advance, rather than just announce it off the bat. Until that happens I won't believe any of the rumours going around about when.

It's not the kind of thing you make a surprise announcement about.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you're probably right. It just goes to show how desperate we all are for this to go through. I'm trying hard not to let it get to me but it's bugging the **** outta me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

*taps foot, looks at watch. Continues to tap foot*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

I see Andy Gray is on trial/training with us, also Birminghan look set to sign Darren Ambrose for €250,000, I seriously hope we made an enquiry here or try to hijack the deal.

I hope Gray is just training and not on trial.

Has NW actually said he's on trial??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Its really weird with Gray. Bradford want him too but I cant see how he could be a realistic target for both Leeds and City. Strange situation

Its really weird with Gray. Bradford want him too but I cant see how he could be a realistic target for both Leeds and City. Strange situation

He's out of contract and asked NW if he could train with them, he played for him at the Blunts. He's gonna have a look at him in training and maybe one of the preseason games, he'll cost nothing and will be a squad player max I'd say...

It's Friday where's the take over?!

bumping this post again!

Could be Monday, Tuesday, a week, a fortnight, a month etc., etc., etc.,. In other words there is NO firm news on this, just idle speculation and rumours from so-called ITK's and, I for one, am sick to my teeth of paying any attention to these :mad: If it happens, it will happen when it happens. We can only live in hope.

Let's face it, when the Club statement was released a few weeks ago, nobody said it was coming so really, all these ITK gobsh1tes out there are just that.

• Advertisement

There's an ITV report doing the rounds that adds fuel to the takeover debate. It's a genuine report but seems based on an article that appeared in The Gulf Times during the week about the Sheikh taking over....at this stage it wouldn't surprise me if it appeared on You've Been Framed....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement