Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Here's the Templeton story
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11715/7935112/Hearts-No-rush-on-Templeton

I'd be disappointed if we weren't in for him

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

event wrote: »
    They were free

Pearce would have cost us at least double what we paid for him if Pompey weren't in such a bad state.

Derby wanted to keep Paul Green but he chose to leave to join us, turning down other clubs in the process
    No point spending money for the sake of it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Bid supposedly gone in to bring Jermaine back home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Messi19 wrote: »
    Bid supposedly gone in to bring Jermaine back home ;)

Anyone know what kind of wages he is on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Guts of £30k i think but he'd have to take a good hit if he's to come back

• Advertisement

Winning 1-0 McCormack

2-0 McCormack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

Messi19 wrote: »
    Guts of £30k i think but he'd have to take a good hit if he's to come back

what was Snodgrass offered?
    15k?
    don't think leeds would offer him much more than that.
    Can't see him taking a 50% hit in wages.

The icing on the cake is going to be sugar free.

Sky sources understand we've made a bid for Peltier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

I think I have checked 'leeds news now', every half hour I was awake for the last two months. Cutting close to the new season.

• Advertisement

blaa85 wrote: »
    I think I have checked 'leeds news now', every half hour I was awake for the last two months. Cutting close to the new season.

I'm happy with the signings so far but I think we need to see about 4 more, a RB, Playmaker/Winger and 2 Strikers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JokerD wrote: »
    I'm happy with the signings so far but I think we need to see about 4 more, a RB, Playmaker/Winger and 2 Strikers

And that taeover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Something unexpected must have happened with the takeover. There is no way it would have taken this long if all was well.

Another year in the doldrums as a Leeds supporter I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Why would you be in the doldrums? We have a stronger squad than last year and the crucial signings have yet to come. Add to that the fact that we own the players as opposed to a bunch of loaners who wouldn't be as committed. We have a manager who has totally re-vamped our squad for very little money so far and knows how to get the best out of players. Warnock, love him or loath him, will never accept anything less than 100% commitment from any player. Until the marquee signings are made it's hard to say how good we will be in attack but I'm confident right now that we will be much tighter at the back.

According to LUST the deal is there, ready to be signed but the delay, seems to be on Bates end. I'm at a loss to explain why he would drag it out but I can't believe that our activity in the transfer market atm has anything to do with that old fart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

punk77 wrote: »
    Why would you be in the doldrums? We have a stronger squad than last year and the crucial signings have yet to come. Add to that the fact that we own the players as opposed to a bunch of loaners who wouldn't be as committed. We have a manager who has totally re-vamped our squad for very little money so far and knows how to get the best out of players. Warnock, love him or loath him, will never accept anything less than 100% commitment from any player. Until the marquee signings are made it's hard to say how good we will be in attack but I'm confident right now that we will be much tighter at the back.

According to LUST the deal is there, ready to be signed but the delay, seems to be on Bates end. I'm at a loss to explain why he would drag it out but I can't believe that our activity in the transfer market atm has anything to do with that old fart.

well i would argue that our squad last year at the start of the season was stronger than the one we have now.

We have signed

Pearce, Kenny, drury, green, gray, norris and varney.
    we have lost o dea, lonergan, snoddy, howson, clayton, o dea, gradel and will probably lose mccormack

for me:
    pearce is better than o dea.
    Kenny and lonergan would be equal
    Snoddy is better than varney
    howson is better than norris
    clayton is better than green
    mccormack is better than gray
    gradel and drury dont really compare, but id rather gradel

For me, last year was stronger than this year so far anyway.
    And saying that warnock will get the best out of our players, he wasnt able to do so towards the end of last season.

now we may sign more and I'm hoping we do but I wouldnt say its better at the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

well i would argue that our squad last year at the start of the season was stronger than the one we have now.

We have signed

we have lost o dea, lonergan, snoddy, howson, clayton, o dea, gradel and will probably lose mccormack

for me:

And saying that warnock will get the best out of our players, he wasnt able to do so towards the end of last season.

now we may sign more and I'm hoping we do but I wouldnt say its better at the minute

Kenny is twice the player Lonergan is or will ever be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

We have signed

for me:

And that warnock comment is ridiculous , he was playing with an inherited squad , this season is the only one you can judge him on , the damage was done when he took over

Absolutely agree. Plus we signed Ashdown who is a very decent back-up.

And that warnock comment is ridiculous , he was playing with an inherited squad , this season is the only one you can judge him on , the damage was done when he took over

Spot on. Warnock didn't have Gradel or Howson. Snodgrass wouldn't sign a new contract and wanted to leave despite Warnock's efforts to keep him. Ross still won't sign up to a new deal and won't be sold without being replaced. Also the comparison of Ross/ Gray is unbelievable. Gray is in no way signed up as a replacement for Ross but beats Paynter hands down as back-up. Clayton looked good at times last season but not consistently so. It seems to be forgotten that we have signed Austin. All in all Warnock has signed 9 players as well as signing White to a new contract and has stated his desire to sign 3/4 marquee signings. It's hardly his fault that the takeover has dragged on and slowed down his progress in signing up his targets. Under the circumstances Warnock has done very well with his dealings so far and I can't wait to see what has yet to come.

Ridiculous?
    I don't think so. everyone said when he was appointed that grayson was crap, couldn't organise a defence etc and that warnock will get the best out of our under-achieving players.
    He didn't do so imo.
    Im not saying he won't do well and i obviously hope he does.
    But its not as if he's done an incredible job with us so far

• Advertisement

We have signed

for me:

We'll see.

Grayson had a side that was achieving but fell away at the end of the 10/11 season, we were around the top at Christmas but fell off, last season we were never really threatening the top positions and ended up 14th with Warnock in charge for the last part of the season.

The players have to take a high degree of responsibility, despite on paper having a side that looked like they were ready for a push, we didn't perform consistently, I know we had significent squad upheavel but heavy defeats last season at Elland Road started the alarm bells that something wasn't clicking with the current squad. Maybe it was a case of there been a stale feeling around the club and squad, we don't really know but changes were needed. Obviously losing players didn't help but I felt the squad we still had should have performed better.

This isn't to say the players/management weren't capable but something was up, a drastic shift in set up might be what we need, loses like Leeds 0-5 Blackpool, Leeds 1-4 Birmingham, Leeds 3-7 Forest, over a short period wasn't reflective of Grayson or Warnock as managers imo, top managers always suffer heavy defeats.

We know Grayson had us in positions before when we looked good for play-offs or auto promotion and we know Warnock's record, so a combination of factors meant we finished 14th. Personally I just got a sense of a staleness around the team. I'm sure players who were with us will go on and perform well with other clubs, maybe the combination of players didn't gel.

Grayson did very well for us and had players sold etc which didn't help him, so he obviously didn't have that consistency and maybe Warnock will have more money to spend now too. We know Grayson has the capabilities as a manger to be successful and he has been, we know the players had it in them and then we have Warnock who we know has it in him to be successful. Yet we finished 14th, hence the overhaul. Something wasn't clicking imo.

Green is better and far more consistent than Clayton IMO.

Wasn't it Grayson who was after Green even before he signed Clayton?

Every player we sell seems to be considered a world beater the second they leave Thorp Arch. Rose tinted glasses!!

Green is better and far more consistent than Clayton IMO.

Wasn't it Grayson who was after Green even before he signed Clayton?

Every player we sell seems to be considered a world beater the second they leave Thorp Arch. Rose tinted glasses!!
    clayton is the new hero, get him down on a long contract

whats kicking off here?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73935304&postcount=109
    event wrote:
    paynter is a bloody donkey.

kisnorbo was shocking for the 3rd goal. clayton has looked pretty good

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73675045&postcount=11542
    like 3 of WH's midfield would walk into a lot of prem teams, serious amount of experience throughout the team

clayton really is a class act

wonder how much will we sell him for when he has 1 year left on his deal?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73934477&postcount=50

Well not for me. I've seen his quality since he has signed. Green may do well with us, but he seems like more of a defensive player ( like brown) whereas clayton was more of a box to box who scored a few goals.
    Its a poor argument to say that we look at players through rose tinted glasses when they leave. I personally have always called it like I've seen it with players, we've let real quality leave in the last few years and again this summer it looks to be happening again only to be replaced with players that arent as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Ridiculous?
    I don't think so. everyone said when he was appointed that grayson was crap, couldn't organise a defence etc and that warnock will get the best out of our under-achieving players.
    He didn't do so imo.
    Im not saying he won't do well and i obviously hope he does.
    But its not as if he's done an incredible job with us so far

If we're honest our season was finished in January after the Birmingham defeat , we could have gone up but we were nowhere near ready , as was proved , it was a sinking ship warnock took over , and it sunk !! Even warnock made jokes about how crap we were , last season is a distant memory now , I'm happy with the signings so far and optimistic for the future , he had had a preseason to work with the players which is a luxury he didn't have when he took over

Well not for me. I've seen his quality since he has signed. Green may do well with us, but he seems like more of a defensive player ( like brown) whereas clayton was more of a box to box who scored a few goals.
    Its a poor argument to say that we look at players through rose tinted glasses when they leave. I personally have always called it like I've seen it with players, we've let real quality leave in the last few years and again this summer it looks to be happening again only to be replaced with players that arent as good.

He is no doubt a decent championship player, but we won't miss him at all IMO. Warnock didn't seem to want him.

Green is not a DM though, totally different player to Brown. He's an out and out midfielder. Seem to remember him playing pretty far up the pitch when Derby played at ER in our first game back in the Championship actually....anyone else recall that or is it just me....? :p

Tbf, I'm wrong on the rose tinted glasses thing. Didn't frequent this thread much at all last season! I do think it applies to a few Leeds supporters I know though!

Re your post on our signings though, you can't compare McCormack and Gray. Gray is obviously not here to 'replace' RMcC! And Ross may well stay!

Kenny is far superior to Lonergan.

Obviously Snodgrass is better than Varney but Varney was hardly brought in to replace Snoddy now was he?

As you said, Drury can't be compared to Gradel, but he's a far better left back than White, Pugh or Paul Robinson.
    What's the point in even mentioning Gradel? He hasn't played for us in almost a year and he was apparently desperate to leave!

We've added well to the squad, with more to come. We'll be better than last season, without a doubt.

A lot of my confidence comes from the fact that I think we'll play a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-5-1 like QPR did. Really wouldn't fancy us to do well in a 4-4-2.

i agree that a clear out was needed but we needed to keep onto any little bit of quality we had.
    we haven't really done that have we?

that was really just Snodgrass, Clayton, White, McCormack, Lees.

We've lost 2 out of those 5.
    We've given new contracts to the two young lads who have potential but have lost the 2 who have shown quality.
    it's probably 50/50 whether or not we keep McCormack.

The squad is now stronger but first team has a lot less quality than the start of last season.

He is no doubt a decent championship player, but we won't miss him at all IMO. Warnock didn't seem to want him.

Green is not a DM though, totally different player to Brown. He's an out and out midfielder. Seem to remember him playing pretty far up the pitch when Derby played at ER in our first game back in the Championship actually....anyone else recall that or is it just me....? :p

Tbf, I'm wrong on the rose tinted glasses thing. Didn't frequent this thread much at all last season! I do think it applies to a few Leeds supporters I know though!

Re your post on our signings though, you can't compare McCormack and Gray. Gray is obviously not here to 'replace' RMcC! And Ross may well stay!

Kenny is far superior to Lonergan.

Obviously Snodgrass is better than Varney but Varney was hardly brought in to replace Snoddy now was he?

As you said, Drury can't be compared to Gradel, but he's a far better left back than White, Pugh or Paul Robinson.
    What's the point in even mentioning Gradel? He hasn't played for us in almost a year and he was apparently desperate to leave!

We've added well to the squad, with more to come. We'll be better than last season, without a doubt.

wouldn't be hard to be better than last season but we need to be 12 places better than last season.
    Don't think we're anywhere near that yet.

• Advertisement

i agree that a clear out was needed but we needed to keep onto any little bit of quality we had.
    we haven't really done that have we?

that was really just Snodgrass, Clayton, White, McCormack, Lees.

We've lost 2 out of those 5.
    We've given new contracts to the two young lads who have potential but have lost the 2 who have shown quality.
    it's probably 50/50 whether or not we keep McCormack.

The squad is now stronger but first team has a lot less quality than the start of last season.

We've bought a lot of players for the spine of the team, plus we know now we're in the market for some more attacking players....give it time, I know we haven't got a lot of time but Warnock will be working hard.

I guess we had our hopes raised 2 months ago with the confirmation that the club was going to get investment (or a big takeover as most people thought).
    All we've seen come in squad players with arguably our 2 best players from last season being sold.

It's frustrating.

We're given the hope that things will be great this season and yet we're almost in August and we're worse off (starting 11) than we were at the start of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Emmm.... ;)

I really dunno what to say lads.
    Is this takeover ever gonna happen. I go back to my old thoughts, Bates is actually dead and this is all just a cover up :(

I really dont see what could be the delay. if its being held up by the buyers, ye have to ask why?
    if its being held up by bates, again what would be the point in that?
    We have absolutely no idea who it is. There's talk of that sheik from the middle east but unconfirmed. Ive fears that if it does happen we'll have no clue who it is :(

And if it does, I just know they arent gonna pump money into the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Even if the takeover happens, I think it's too late for it to have any real significance on the team this window. It might convince McCormack to sign but we've missed out on Ward and God knows who else that hasn't been announced.

That being said, I have to wonder where the money for the players we're signing is coming from. We wouldn't have spent the Snodgrass money yet, maybe an installment on the Delph money? I doubt it's the potential owners money anyway.

Even if we do get taken over, they could end up being the new Venkys. For every Chelsea and City there's a Portsmouth and Blackburn. The takeover may not be the new dawn a lot of people believe it to be.

I'm not saying "better the devil you know" though, cos Bates could put him to shame sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

I really dunno what to say lads.
    Is this takeover ever gonna happen. I go back to my old thoughts, Bates is actually dead and this is all just a cover up :(

I really dont see what could be the delay. if its being held up by the buyers, ye have to ask why?
    if its being held up by bates, again what would be the point in that?
    We have absolutely no idea who it is. There's talk of that sheik from the middle east but unconfirmed. Ive fears that if it does happen we'll have no clue who it is :(

And if it does, I just know they arent gonna pump money into the club.

Maybe it says volumes in the way that Bates has structured (or hidden) the Club financial and other details. So a buyer will want a clear and uncomplicated transfer of assets. You could have a situation where there is a proposal that the new owners lease ER from the current owner if the current owner was determined to hold onto their prized asset. So there's a potential minefield in here.

Then take the financial committments for running the club week to week. A new owner will want to know if we are committed to paying any wages for any player who has already left us (aka Robbie Fowler payments!!) or any other financially draining commitments - like £2m per year bonuses to our esteemed Chairman. You get the idea ......

• Advertisement

Just want to say that I disagree with about 80% of this thread.....
    I honestly think we'll have a great season :p

Warnock has money to spend, not sure where it's all come from but I'm confident he does from what he has said! We've already strengthened and there'll be more to come

Just hope I'm right! :P

C'mon, bitta optimism guys :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

129080638993555725.jpg

The club need to step up and give fans an update, it's been over a month since the last one.

It would be ridiculous to think that during a vital period for the club where the manager is overhauling the squad, that we could be inhibited in the transfer market due to the uncertainty of where the funds are coming from.

Therefore you'd have to think that either it's practically done and the new owners are funding signings , or we're spending what we take in until there is a resolution or Bates is still here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Lads I think we have to face the fact that there is not going to be a take over, we are going to start the season having sold out best players, got in a load of freebies, and we are going to probably get another mid table finish. Im not trying to be negative, but I am being realistic from what I have seen so far over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

SarahBM wrote: »
    Lads I think we have to face the fact that there is not going to be a take over, we are going to start the season having sold out best players, got in a load of freebies, and we are going to probably get another mid table finish. Im not trying to be negative, but I am being realistic from what I have seen so far over the summer.

Mid table finish? Negative?

Far from it - I'd regard that as positive!! :(

• Advertisement

If we can get in 3/4 more then I'll be happy, Warnock has his work cut out, Becchio still injured, McCormack's future still up in the air, Paynter training with Blackpool, Somma out for another while. Our strikers from last year are dwindling coming up to the start of the season.

Warnock said he'll only be interested in a swap with McCormack but I feel even with McCormack we'll need at least 2 new strikers.

As I said Warnock has done well so far but we're a long way off and it's only 10 days until our first competitive game.

Leeds United have taken French prospect Kevin Gomez on trial, Sky Sports understands.

The 20-year-old midfielder arrived in England last month, and trained with non-league outfit Peckham United.
    But the highly-rated youngster soon had a number of league clubs inviting him to train and Leeds are now at the front of the queue after taking him to West Yorkshire.
    He played for Neil Redfearn's Under-21 side against Bridlington earlier this week, and is believed to have made a big impression on Leeds' coaching staff.
    Now Leeds boss Neil Warnock is contemplating finalising a deal for Gomez - whose only previous experience has been in the lower leagues in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

SarahBM wrote: »

I DO believe there will be money to be spent - even from Bates. The whole squad will be about 6 - 8 players smaller so there's a fair saving on weekly wages which is the important bit (rather than the signon fee).

Admitedly, a stumbling block will always be our levels of weekly pay which we are prepared to pay out.

Leeds United have taken French prospect Kevin Gomez on trial, Sky Sports understands.

The 20-year-old midfielder arrived in England last month, and trained with non-league outfit Peckham United.
    But the highly-rated youngster soon had a number of league clubs inviting him to train and Leeds are now at the front of the queue after taking him to West Yorkshire.
    He played for Neil Redfearn's Under-21 side against Bridlington earlier this week, and is believed to have made a big impression on Leeds' coaching staff.
    Now Leeds boss Neil Warnock is contemplating finalising a deal for Gomez - whose only previous experience has been in the lower leagues in France.

will this guy and martin cranie be the icing on the cake :o

championc wrote: »
    I DO believe there will be money to be spent - even from Bates. The whole squad will be about 6 - 8 players smaller so there's a fair saving on weekly wages which is the important bit (rather than the signon fee).

Admitedly, a stumbling block will always be our levels of weekly pay which we are prepared to pay out.

there has to be money even if the takeover/investment hasn't happened.

IN FEE
    Pearse 550k
    Drury Free
    Green Free
    Norris Undisclosed
    Kenny 440k
    Ashdown Free
    Austin 220k
    Gray Free
    Varney Undisclosed

OUT FEE
    SnodgrasS 1.5m up front + 1.3m
    Lonergan 280k
    Clayton 880k
    Bruce Free
    Taylor Free
    Forssell Released
    Sam Released

I'm probably missing a few players.
    What would Norris and Varney have cost? 250k each?

That's pretty much break even excluding the Snodgrass money.

Whether or not that mustard money will be spent is another thing.
    going on past experience the answer is a clear no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

That's a decent chunk off the wage bill - he was on 10k plus I think.

will this guy and martin cranie be the icing on the cake :o

....no :)

Adam Pope ‏@APOPEY

#lufc NW wants another striker alongside McCormack. Another signing is expected before weekend & in market for a right sided centre half.

Encouraging!

Assume it'll be Peltier before the weekend?

Starting team for the Sandefjord game..k.o 6pm

........... Ashdown,
    Lees, Cranie, Pearce, Drury,
    .........Norris, Green,
    White, McCormack, Varney
    ...............Gray

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement