Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

NW (via YR) #lufc: Getting ready to move as quickly as possible in January. May not be possible at this stage to bring in some targets now.

NW (via YR) #lufc: He's optimistic of getting a defender and a forward in today. Made so many phone calls yesterday it's untrue.

NW (via YR) #lufc: Will speak to GFH on Saturday after the Palace game. Need to be sensible with targets and get value for money.

From the Square ball:
    TAKEN OVER
    By The Square Ball On November 21, 2012

tbg_untitled-212x300.jpg

A question we’ve often been asked over the last few seasons is, ‘What will The Square Ball write about when Ken Bates has gone?’

And our answer was always: we’ll write about what the various people who have written TSB have written about for over twenty years: Leeds United Football Club.

Bates never really had the column inches, or the air time on the podcast, that people seemed to think he did. We carried the ‘What Ken Said’ radio transcriptions on our blog as a means of keeping tabs on the bull****, and whenever Bates did something that made it necessary for the fans to fire back, we were always on hand with the water pistols. But the magazine has always printed articles on subjects as wide and varied as the Leeds fanbase. We actually used to take it as a challenge to get through an issue or a pod without mentioning ‘him’ – we’re sure we managed it at least a couple of times.

But as his chairmanship dragged on from season to season, and frustration and anger under his regime grew and grew, Ken Bates’ influence on every aspect of Leeds United became impossible to ignore. From the youth team to the first team, from the burgers in the Kop to the dining in Howard’s, from the programme price to the season ticket price, it was difficult to find something to say about Leeds United that wasn’t by implication critical of Ken Bates. Which suggests that, despite what he reckoned, he wasn’t doing too great a job.

What we longed for during all this is the chance of a fresh start. To rid ourselves of the Monaco Shadow, and to come out again in clean, Yorkshire – or Middle Eastern – sunlight. To let the embittered editorials end. To let a thousand sonnets to Tom Lees bloom.

Maybe with the takeover settled, we can be positive about our football club again. We can praise Sam Byram without adding that he’ll probably be sold to Norwich. We can talk about transfer targets in the expectation that we might actually have some, and might even sign some. We can allow ourselves dreams of promotion to the Premier League without them turning to nightmares about the bearded Count of Monte Carlo.

Of course Bates has, with the takeover, blindsided us yet again. Becoming ‘Club President’ is a long way from being ‘Out.’ So we’re not done with him, much as he isn’t done with us. The takeover might have gone through but there is still an uneasy sense of unfinished business. Ken loves to have a say, and it’d be surprising if the rest of his chairmanship – til the end of the season – passes quietly; and we still have nearly eight years worth of demons to exorcise. Before we declare Leeds United a De-Batesed Zone, we’d better check in all the cupboards, lift all the floorboards, unlock the door to the East Stand Catacombs. We can’t let this period be forgotten, either. Ken Bates dragged this club down to the lowest levels we have ever known in our history, and he’s come up as president. It’s a shame we didn’t see more of this talent for gaining promotion over the last eight years.

Then there are our new owners to think about. Hi David, by the way, and hello Hisham and Salem. Thanks for buying Ken Bates out; we’re unbelievably grateful. But not for long. We’ve always suspected that if Kylie Minogue were to buy LUFC and install herself as chairwoman, Leeds fans would immediately complain that her arse isn’t pert enough for the hotseat at our great football club, and why couldn’t we have Danni instead? So it will no doubt prove with the new guys. Positivity is the order of the day, today, but the season is nearly halfway over and it’s been rubbish. Leeds will need to work fast if they’re to compete this season and keep the good vibes going.

Leeds United isn’t fixed just because the takeover has finally gone through. This is still the same club it was yesterday, with the same problems, and the same hard work ahead. Ticket prices are still too high, stewards still lack common sense, the off field building projects Bates has left behind are still too draining, and Danny Pugh is still here. Leeds United, the team that Don Revie and Howard Wilkinson made into champions, are still a second division club. Leeds have a lot to do and it’s got to be done right.

The Square Ball will record it all, with, as ever, your help. For more than twenty years we’ve been a platform for Leeds fans to have their say, whether to praise or criticise, to cheer or moan, and that isn’t going to change. We always had this simple truth on our side: that Ken Bates is temporary, but Leeds United, and most importantly Leeds United’s fans, are permanent. He might not be gone, but his grip has been loosened. The fans’ grip is all the tighter.

Marching On Together,

- TSB.

Warnock on OS:
    UNITED BOSS LOOKS TO THE FUTURE
    22 Nov 2012

United manager Neil Warnock says it's a case of "onwards and upwards" following the news that Dubai-based GFH Capital are to take over ownership of the club in December.
    The takeover deal was announced on Wednesday and GFH Deputy CEO David Haigh will join the board with immediate effect with two further GFH executives joining the board next month after a transitional period.
    "It's a fabulous step," said the boss. "It's been a long time, but it's a progressive step for the club in general.
    "I've spoken to them (GFH Capital) over the past few months, but I'd prefer to not speak too much about it at the moment because I don't know enough about the ins and outs at this stage.
    "It will give some closure to the whole saga though. Everything should be lifted. We have to roll our sleeves up. This has given people a lift and personally I'm so pleased we are playing the best two teams in the league next. I think that's appropriate. It gives everyone an opportunity to get together and give it a go.
    "I only look at the future. I think we can look forward. It's a positive thing from a mental side of things. It's going to be difficult for the next five weeks or so, but we can get things ready so we can move in January. Once that comes we can have a right good go. We have four months to give it our best shot and in the meantime we have to pick up as many points as possible.
    "We have to turn the corner, but we have some decent players. The crowd can help us over the next four or five weeks as well. Let's roll our sleeves up. It's onwards and upwards for us all now. Everything is positive. Let's have a go."
    With the loan deadline due to close on Thursday afternoon, the United boss isn't expecting a major influx, with the addition of maybe one or two new faces.
    "It'll probably be January," he said. "I'm trying to bring one or two in but that was the case before this and I haven't changed targets if that makes sense. It's not a matter of finance, it's about availability and clubs letting them out."

Nice to hear him sounding a bit more positive.

TURNER TWINS SET FOR LOAN MOVES
    22 Nov 2012

Nathan and Lewis Turner are both making short-term departures from the club in loan deals.
    The pairing are linking up with clubs in the Blue Square Northern Division until January 2.
    Nathan is set to join second-placed Chester FC while Lewis will link up with Harrogate Town.
    The pairing have played regularly for the Development Squad this season, but the fixture programme pauses during December and the loan moves will give the two youngsters the opportunity to play more competitive matches.

Wassup Lewis? Wassup Nathan? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

We have Tate signed until Jan 1st anyway.

From LUST:
    Leeds United Supporters Trust - Club Takeover Announcement

Leeds United Supporters’ Trust welcome the announcement that Leeds United will soon be under new ownership.

We would like to extend a warm welcome to GFH Capital and to David Haigh, Hisham Alrayes and Salem Patel, and our chair Gary Cooper has contacted GFH Capital to offer his congratulations.

We look forward to meeting with the new Leeds United board members soon. With the club at a crossroads, our members, now more than ever, want to know how GFH Capital and Leeds United are going to build a successful club going forward.

As always, LUST's vision is to see an ambitious Leeds United that has the fans at the top of its agenda, and we will continue our work towards building a club to be proud of.

blaa85 wrote: »
    We have Tate signed until Jan 1st anyway.

....and you can add Jerome Thomas to that :D
    WEST BROM MIDFIELDER ARRIVES ON LOAN
    22 Nov 2012.

0,,10273~11427918,00.jpg

Leeds United have signed West Brom midfielder Jerome Thomas on loan until January.
    The 29-year-old former Arsenal trainee has made over 200 career appearances for QPR, Charlton, Portsmouth, and the Baggies.
    Jerome, who is also eligible for the Capital One Cup clash with Chelsea next month, joined West Brom in the summer of 2008 and has scored 13 goals in 94 appearances, playing a part in extending the Baggies tenure the top-flight.
    United manager Neil Warnock was delighted to capture a player who has been a long-time target.
    "He's a player I've tried to sign five times so it's about time I finally got him," said the boss. "He is just what I'm looking for and I want him to come here and enjoy himself.
    "He's direct and positive when he's attacking and fits the bill as just what we want."
    Jerome will go straight into the squad for Saturday's Elland Road clash with Crystal Palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

A shameless bump as we should be on the front page until we buy Messi in January!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Very happy with the two loan signings and think they show a bit of intent. Expect them to be made permenant in Jan if they are performing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

I like the new arrivals also, especially Thomas. When he's on his game he's a real handful and Tate is a centre half of the old school, maybe he's a little slow now but I'd be quitely confident that both can do well.

This is it, lads. No win in 7 league games, on a 3 match losing streak and sitting in 18th place. Up against Crystal Palace, unbeaten in 14 league games, winning 11 of them.

Takeover agreed this week, two new players in and Ross may start.

F*cking bring it on. A win today, get the confidence rolling in the run up to Christmas and new faces in for January. I have not been this excited for a match for some time.

blaa85 wrote: »
    This is it, lads. No win in 7 league games, on a 3 match losing streak and sitting in 18th place. Up against Crystal Palace, unbeaten in 14 league games, winning 11 of them.

Takeover agreed this week, two new players in and Ross may start.

F*cking bring it on. A win today, get the confidence rolling in the run up to Christmas and new faces in for January. I have not been this excited for a match for some time.

Might be a bit early for Ross to start. Played for the U-21s on Monday and came off after 25mins with a sore ankle. More likely he'll be on the bench as rushing him back would be a mistake.

Hopefully, there will be a big crowd and ER is bouncing again. The 12th man and all that. A good result would start the ball rolling and set us up nicely for Tuesday vs Leicester. A tough 3 matches coming up. MOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Warnock talking on YR last night saying that they weren't going to rush Ross and would certainly not take a chance and end up regretting it. Said he'll be involved this weekend but only when he's had a weeks' training under his belt.

Today's team vs Palace:

Kenny, Byram, Tate, Lees, Peltier, Thomas, Green, Tonge, Norris, Becchio, Diouf

Subs: Ashdown, Poleon ,Gray, Hall, Ross, Brown, White

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Becchio 1-0 after 52 mins

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

2-0 Paul Green of all people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

This would be a brilliant win.

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS 2-0 Green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

darn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good win, just whats needed.

Thought we should have hit them for 5 or 6, but a win's an win I suppose. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

A8e8EnCCEAAuRCO.jpg

Our saviours.

Massive result for us today :D Caps a terrific week and sets us up nicely for Leicester on Tuesday.
    Attendance was 20,964 which is a bit disappointing. I kinda thought a few more would return today.

punk77 wrote: »

Our saviours.

Massive result for us today :D Caps a terrific week and sets us up nicely for Leicester on Tuesday.
    Attendance was 20,964 which is a bit disappointing. I kinda thought a few more would return today.

I dunno, Bates dissapearing for good - Yes. Giving himself the presidency just leaves a sour taste - more so following such a great man (that many held in high esteem), in Lord Harewood, who held the position for over 50 years untill his recent death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Anyone know where i can get leeds chelsea tickets? 4 of us heading over. We booked the fligths and everything and last weds it said there where plenty of tickets left on the stadium plan but now it says you must be a leeds unite dmember to even view available tickets:eek:

any help really really appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I dunno, Bates dissapearing for good - Yes. Giving himself the presidency just leaves a sour taste - more so following such a great man (that many held in high esteem), in Lord Harewood, who held the position for over 50 years untill his recent death.

Apparently its only for tax reasons, seems when he took over leeds he had to be part of the club for a certain number of years???

justshane wrote: »
    Anyone know where i can get leeds chelsea tickets? 4 of us heading over. We booked the fligths and everything and last weds it said there where plenty of tickets left on the stadium plan but now it says you must be a leeds unite dmember to even view available tickets:eek:

any help really really appreciated

They go on general sale on Saturday AFAIK. Ring the ticket office and they'll confirm.

From OS:
    REMEMBERING GARY SPEED
    27 Nov 2012
    0,,10273~10242028,00.jpg

Tuesday November 27 marks the first anniversary of the passing of our former player Gary Speed.
    The Welshman started his career at Leeds United as a schoolboy and he played a key role in both our promotion winning campaign in 1989/90 and our title winning season two years later.
    During that title winning campaign, Gary formed part of one of the greatest midfield line-ups of the modern era, playing alongside Gordon Strachan, David Batty, and Gary McAllister.
    Gary made 312 appearances for the club between 1988 and 1996 before moving on to Everton.
    He also had spells at Newcastle, Bolton, and Sheffield United before moving into coaching and management at Bramall Lane. He moved from Sheffield United to take up the role as Wales manager.

Gary was a likeable and popular man in the footballing world and our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.
    The club will holding minute's applause ahead of Tuesday's game against Leicester City to celebrate and remember the life of Gary.
    Gary Speed. RIP.

A tribute video will be played on the screen 15 minutes before the game.
    Gone but forever and ever Leeds.
    RIP, Gary, a true legend.

• Advertisement

Tonight's line-up vs Leicester is unchanged :

Kenny, Byram, Lees, Tate, Peltier, Green, Norris, Tonge, Thomas, Becchio, Diouf

Subs : Ashdown, Brown, White, Drury, Hall, McCormack, Gray

1-0 Pen Becchio :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

1-0 up at HT

on a Tuesday

can this be?!?!?

SarahBM wrote: »
    1-0 up at HT

on a Tuesday

can this be?!?!?

Shhhhhhhhh ;)

An early 2nd would be great as we don't really do clean sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

Thomas has been a great signing! Make it permanent in January.

conlufc wrote: »
    Thomas has been a great signing! Make it permanent in January.

He's defo the kinda quality we need to be signing but i'm not sure that WBA want to sell.

• Advertisement

Brown on for Thomas :( Hope he's not injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

Well with our new financial backing we might be able to make happen. He's not injured, just a lack of game time. Warnock bringing Brown on to sure up the midfield although I don't think he brings anything to the team:confused:

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!! 1-0 Phew! Just what the doctor ordered :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Enjoy the seldom feeling that is 3 points on a Tuesday

punk77 wrote: »
    Shhhhhhhhh ;)

An early 2nd would be great as we don't really do clean sheets.

Erm...... YES we do! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Messi19 wrote: »
    Enjoy the seldom feeling that is 3 points on a Tuesday

tis a rare thing indeed! but I will savour this win, For Gary :)

We are now the only side in the Championship not to have won a league match by more than 1 goal, a record which, up until tonight, we shared with Ipswich.
    Warnock must be George Graham in disguise :pac:

Tonight's attendance was 17,717. Not sure but that could be our lowest league crowd this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Them two wins were just what the doctor ordered. Looking at the table, these wins came at just the right time.. we are still 6 points off the playoffs now, imagine we didnt win the last two matches, our season would be in tatters

Its amazing what a difference a week makes, quicker we get to January though the better as we need to add a little bit more competition to the squad.

MOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Consecutive victories over the teams who had been first and third (I think). Brilliant!! :cool:

Hopefully a bit of positive momentum can be built up here - the recent international break I felt totally disrupted what had previously been a good run of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Consecutive victories over the teams who had been first and third (I think). Brilliant!! :cool:

Hopefully a bit of positive momentum can be built up here - the recent international break I felt totally disrupted what had previously been a good run of form.

Anyone think there might be a loan spell on the cards for darren bent?

Wouldn't say Bent would be realistic. Villa are probably paying him stupid money. Was his transfer fee was 20-odd million? I remember it being vey high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Hijpo wrote: »
    Anyone think there might be a loan spell on the cards for darren bent?

Loan window closed I think. Nothing now til Jan regardless of funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Club statement on ownership
    http://www.leedsunited.com/page/Ownership/0,,10273,00.html

Leeds United Football Club Limited ('LUFC') the company that holds the shares in the Football League, is a member of the West Riding County Football Association and an Associate Member of the Football Association.
    LUFC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leeds City Holdings Limited ('LCH').
    LCH has 6 unconnected shareholders.
    Four of the shareholders hold 18.11% collectively, with no one of these holding more than 10%.
    FSF Limited (a company incorporated in Nevis) holds 48.56% of the issued shares.
    FSF Limited is owned by Outro Limited which is wholly owned by Mr. K. W.
    Bates and is registered in Nevis.
    LUFC Holding Limited a company based in
    Grand Cayman holds 33.33% of the issued shares.
    LUFC Holding Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of GFH Capital Limited which is based in Dubai.
    GFH Capital Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of Gulf
    Finance House, BSC, which is based in Bahrain. No shareholder in Gulf Finance House, BSC holds over 10% of its shares.
    LUFC Holding Limited will acquire the 66.67% shareholding held by the other shareholders on the 21st December 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

yeah reading that.
    WTF? Jesus christ thats dodgy

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP
    From today's presser, Warnock confirms that he did try to sign Beckford and Simon Church before they went to Huddersfield #lufc

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP
    NW also said he'd have kept Adam Clayton if a) money hadn't been so tight and b) Clayton's wage demands had been lower #lufc

Let the mind games begin :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement