Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

People are coming on here and tumbling over each other in an effort to put the boot into Warnock. As someone who has defended him in the past, I'll hold my hands up and say that due to events both on and off the pitch, his position in my opinion has - regrettably - now become untenable.

I have a question though - since we lost to relegation strugglers Ipswich Town, I have heard little or no mention of our centre half Tom Lees.

Just for the record, Tom Lees is a player who has been represented at international level - Tom Lees committed an appalling challenge on an Ipswich Town player for which he was rightly - in my opinion - awarded a red card. This red card changed the context of our match against Ipswich Town to the effect that we ended up losing a match that we were dominating, 3-0.

My question - why has nobody chosen to mention Tom Lees in this context?

I do have sympathy for Warnock, we don't know how much his hands have been tied and I don't like him getting abuse from fans. He tried, it didn't work out but who's to say that this season that anyone else would've done much better.

I think the recent chants etc have been because everyone knew he was leaving and everyone wants a new manager to get a look at the squad ASAP, so there was a massive level of impatience.

O'Leary on SSN tonight, I'd say he'd love to come back.

What would people's opinions be on this? He did have us playing exciting football and brought through youth.

I'd be certainly intrigued to see the effect he might have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

JokerD wrote: »

What would people's opinions be on this? He did have us playing exciting football and brought through youth.

Well, he can't claim to be a young manager anymore. He did a lot of that the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Sweet jaysus no, no, NOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Imagine him calling Tonge, Brown, Norris etc. 'his babies'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I think he would be a much better shout for the Ireland job.

O'Leary was lucky in that a crop of high class young players were around when he took over. Credit where it was due, he made the decision to put those guys in the team. But he also made a number of high value transfers who did badly for us.

I think we are in a situation now where we need a manager who can not only motivate the existing players but also sign a few potential stars on the cheap. McDermott would be ideal but I'm not sure we will get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

i think nobody will be appointed until after this season ends / we're mathematically safe / relegated.

A) don't think a manager will take the reigns with the chance that he could end up being relegated
    B) don't think Leeds are an attractive proposition if there's a fear that they could be in League 1 next season.
    C) don't think the board would want to be stuck paying a championship manager's wage if they end up in league 1.

+1 to all that. I think until the current board situation is sorted we will have to stick with Redfearn in temporary charge. I have no faith at all in GFH appointing the right person. My only hope is that Parker can put together a bid before the end of the season and get rid of GFH. Personally I would like to see Lambert as the new boss - I can see Villa going down so chances are Lambert will be fired but I think his record at Norwich would still make him our best bet. I definitely wouldn't want some of the other names mentioned. I think O'Neill has lost his passion for the game as his recent record is awful and he looked like a beaten man for some time now at Sunderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Leeds United will face of compensation bill of £2.5million if they move to appoint Gus Poyet as their next manager

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/leeds-united-poyet-comes-with-a-hefty-price-tag-1-5544250

Defo can't see this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i never liked colin, but that dig against hughes has put him well up in my estimation

• Advertisement

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-03/leeds-united-investor-plans-to-sell-stake-when-price-is-right.html

Reading this fills me with concern, the new investors IIB plan to sell their stake when price is right, so basically get to the Prem, make a nice profit and sell up?

I sure hope these people understand they need to work for their profit, in a fantasy land they buy 10% and Leeds get promoted without much investment from them and hey there's your profit. However we know it's extremely unlikely to work out like that.

10% might not seem like much but it's enough for you to get your wallet out and help with the quest to get to the Prem.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It all seems to be smoke and mirrors with GFH. From the article JokerD posted:
    In its annual report for 2012, GFH booked a $10.4 million one-time gain on acquiring Leeds even though it hadn’t yet sold the team. Without that income GFH’s annual profit of $10 million in 2012 would have been wiped out.

Basically they haven't a pot to piss in and they're doing everything they can to shore up their accounts and make themselves look like they're on a sound financial footing - as long as nobody looks too closely. This is not going to end well.

Zaph wrote: »
    It all seems to be smoke and mirrors with GFH. From the article JokerD posted:

Basically they haven't a pot to piss in and they're doing everything they can to shore up their accounts and make themselves look like they're on a sound financial footing - as long as nobody looks too closely. This is not going to end well.

Phil Hay is saying that the Saudi that was interested with Parkin is no longer interested. Also it was reported this morning that Parkin's exclustivity agreement to purchase a majority share is now over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

up a creek and there aint a paddle in sight!

I promise lads, if I win the lotto on saturday, I'll buy the club. who wants to be on the board???

Charlton on sat. they are only a point behind and 2 places behind on GD. We are minus 9 goals. pathetic.

I hope to god that redfern benches "brownie" and "Varneyie"

White and McCormack should start.

RIP Chris and Kevin...........13 years on, MOT

Today's team vs Charlton:

Kenny, Byram, Pearce, Peltier, Warnock, Green, Norris, Tonge, White, Morison, McCormack.

Subs: Ashdown, Austin, Varney, Brown, Habibou, Diouf, Poleon.

No great shocks there. I feel a point today would be a good result but a win and we could all breathe a bit easier. Here's hoping. C'MON LEEDS!

well this is disgraceful. He has dropped quality like Varney and Brown and he's starting White and McCormack. What is he doing.

:pac:

event wrote: »
    well this is disgraceful. He has dropped quality like Varney and Brown and he's starting White and McCormack. What is he doing.

Redfearn out!

• Advertisement

AH SH*T!!!! 1 down :( Redders out!

Get in there! 1 all Varney :D

should have started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Oh, Nooooooooooo:mad::mad::mad:

2-1 down. Another late goal :mad::mad::mad:

ah fcuk it anyway

• Advertisement

96th minute. The sooner this feckin' season is over the better. :mad:

if we're not careful, we will end up in L1 next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

if we're not careful, we will end up in L1 next year

Need to have more than 60 pts to be reasonably sure of safety:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'm getting worried now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

Don't fancy playing Brighton or Watford in last 2 games needing something. We may be still 5 points above the drop but quite a few below us picked up points on us today too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Was just readin there that Andy Hughes was playing for Charlton yesterday against us and wore a black armband in memory of Christopher Loftus and Kevin Speight. At the final whistle he also exchanged shirts with Ross McCormack and gave the leeds fans the Leeds solute. Fairplay to him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    Was just readin there that Andy Hughes was playing for Charlton yesterday against us and wore a black armband in memory of Christopher Loftus and Kevin Speight. At the final whistle he also exchanged shirts with Ross McCormack and gave the leeds fans the Leeds solute. Fairplay to him

What a Legend!

Need to have more than 60 pts to be reasonably sure of safety:(

No chance, I think one more win should see us safe, 55 points should be plenty. Two home games coming up so we need to win one of those. That said, it's some turnaround from just 4 weeks ago where we were aiming for a playoff spot, now we're aiming to stay up, what a league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    No chance, I think one more win should see us safe, 55 points should be plenty. Two home games coming up so we need to win one of those. That said, it's some turnaround from just 4 weeks ago where we were aiming for a playoff spot, now we're aiming to stay up, what a league!

Really? We're 5 points from Blackburn in the 3rd relegation spot. They have a game in hand over us. Even goal difference. Of the 8 teams below us only 2 have a worse goal difference.

We've only won 1 of our last NINE.

3 more points is plenty for to be safe? Come off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Topping up my PP account with 20 quid, we are 25/1 to get relegated.

This is my plan!
    I can be gutted we went down but have 520 quid extra or i can be delighted we stay up and only be down 20 quid.

Win Win, no? :confused:

To MOD: please dont confuse this with a genuine betting post and give me an infraction, i even used a smiley face!

quarryman wrote: »
    3 more points is plenty for to be safe? Come off it.

Lets see at the end of the season. :D No team with more than 52 points has been relegated in the past 18 seasons. I very much doubt many of the teams on 47/48 points currently will pick up more than 2 wins in their last 5 games so yes I think 55 points is a safe total.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Topping up my PP account with 20 quid, we are 25/1 to get relegated.

This is my plan!
    I can be gutted we went down but have 520 quid extra or i can be delighted we stay up and only be down 20 quid.

Win Win, no? :confused:

.......or you can be delighted we stay up and still have 20 quid in your pocket ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

Anyone hear the Andy Hughes interview on the Matchday Replay this evening. He's so passionate about Leeds. Hopes one day to get involved on the coaching side.

Dom Matteo also confirmed that he should be joining the club soon - but not as Manager.

There's a lot to be said for appointing a manager who is a Leeds supporter himself. They become far more passionate about the role than A N Other.

Naylor in !!

Didn't work out with grayson (even though i liked him)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

championc wrote: »
    Anyone hear the Andy Hughes interview on the Matchday Replay this evening. He's so passionate about Leeds. Hopes one day to get involved on the coaching side.

Dom Matteo also confirmed that he should be joining the club soon - but not as Manager.

There's a lot to be said for appointing a manager who is a Leeds supporter himself. They become far more passionate about the role than A N Other.

Naylor in !!

No thanks. Doing a great job for us but its too big a leap and too big a gamble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

No chance. and don't look at the betting markets as evidence, a couple of 100 quid can change it massively.

On some good news, saw this tweeted by the swiss ramble:

In 11/12 only 6 clubs made a profit. we were one. 3rd highest revenue. 3rd highest match day revenue. Highest commercial revenue.

so at least the club looks ok in that respect, can't see why no one will buy us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Bit late posting this.

Brown comes on as sub for the last couple of minutes and gets picks up his 10th yellow card - 2 game holiday. Bloody great move. Idiot (Brown).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

did he sign a new contract to the end of next season or are we just stuck with him for another few weeks?

did he sign a new contract to the end of next season or are we just stuck with him for another few weeks?

Got an automatic extension this week as part of his original contract, it was appearance based.

Tonight's championship results didn't go our way. Wednesday beat Milwall, 1-2, to go ahead of us on 53pts and Barnsley drew 1-1 with Cardiff.

PhilHayYEP:
    @ephemeraljoy @richardbyramyep the only thing I've heard today is that O'Neill would welcome an approach but won't initiate talks himself

Got an automatic extension this week as part of his original contract, it was appearance based.

i hope you're taking the p1ss.....got a contract extension for coming on with a few minutes to go, getting booked for the 10th time this season and getting an automatic 2 game ban. :eek:

i hope you're taking the p1ss.....got a contract extension for coming on with a few minutes to go, getting booked for the 10th time this season and getting an automatic 2 game ban. :eek:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/leeds-united-veteran-midfielder-brown-s-staying-for-another-season-1-5558016

• Advertisement

for feck sake.

that's unbelievable.
    this season just gets worse and worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement