Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

FT 1-2. An away win :eek: We spoiled the party at Watford. Dreadful match to watch. At least we managed to score in the first half after 21 blanks on the trot.
    I'm glad the season is over and hopefully we can consign it to the bin of history and look forward to better days ahead. MOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Jeez what an incredible day, pleased we won of course but it sickens me a little that we've helped Bruce out too, would have preferred Watford to go up.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Tbh, I wouldn't be happy for Watford to go up the way they've abused the loophole in the loan rules. More importantly though, I hope their keeper is OK. Saw it mentioned in the matchday thread that he has a suspected broken neck. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭carmanard

Watford would be banjaxed in the premiership once Udinese decide they want their players back... No fan of Stevie Bruce, but it'll be good for the Irish team to have Robbie Brady & David Meyler in the premiership.. Even Paul McShambles & Stephen Quinn too.. Assuming Bruce doesn't sell them of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Navarre wrote: »

Surely this can't be true. He's contracted for another season and I can't see us wanting rid of him. Unless he's disillusioned about the sending off against Brighton and is sick of the abuse he gets from away fans in England.

Anyway, I hope this is BS because we'll need his quality and experience next season.

I'd imagine that playing in Guinea would be a fair drop in standard from the Championship, so I couldn't see him wanting to move there while he still has something to offer in England.

Chris Dawson gets a new 3 year contract:

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20130508/youngster-signs-new-contract_2247585_3171613

It's important that we're sorting out contracts for our talented youngsters. These guys represent our best hopes for the future as our most successful teams have always included home grown talent.
    Hopefully we'll see more of Dawson next season.

• Advertisement

The club have come and said that the stories about Diouf are rubbish.
    http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20130509/diouf-claims-are-complete-rubbish_2247585_3173036

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

Duncan Castles (@DuncanCastles)
    10/05/2013 13:50
    Leeds United director Hisham Alrayes says GFH 'working on early exits from our projects'. #LUFC #repost sulia.com/my_thoughts/c2…

A good article debunking the 'myth' that, under Bates, Leeds was a 'well run' football club.

http://ole1985.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-mythology-of-ken-bates-leeds-united.html?m=1

I think the only person who really believed that myth was bates himself, but it's even more shocking when you can see the actual numbers and understand just how badly he ran the club.

Sam is named in England's provisional squad for the U-20 World Cup.....

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/leeds-united-byram-named-in-england-squad-1-5676773

...... and we're being prepared for the disappointment of the fact that Sam might not be with us next season....

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/leeds-united-track-swindon-town-star-in-case-byram-leaves-1-5672851

While I'll never get used to the fact that no sooner do we get excited about a player, he's sold but, tbh, it's probably the only way we'll have decent funds to strengthen the squad this summer (unfortunately:().

what did Zaha go to Manchester for 15 million?
    don't see why we shouldn't hold out for at least 10m and try to keep him on loan next season to let him develop.

if he had to go I'd be happy with that option.
    Maybe we could get 8m to invest in the 1st team and still keep him for another season.

from the premier league, who would realistically be after him?

Man Utd - they have Rafael so Byram would only be backup

Man City - Zabaletta, Byram would be backup

Chelsea - might be interested.

Arsenal - can't see them spending 10m on a right back, Wenger would surely go French anyway.

Spurs - they have 2 right backs that would probably be ahead of Byram in their pecking order, so couldn't see it, unless they sell Bale and one of Kyle Walker/Naughton

Everton - won't spend that kind of money on a right back and they have Coleman on the wing

Liverpool - don't see them spending big on a right sided player. they'll need to get a new center back and maybe a keeper

wouldn't see any of the others going for him, likewise the promoted teams.

So from that fuzzy logic, the only real option where he would move and get a chance at first team football would be Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

what did Zaha go to Manchester for 15 million?
    don't see why we shouldn't hold out for at least 10m and try to keep him on loan next season to let him develop.

if he had to go I'd be happy with that option.
    Maybe we could get 8m to invest in the 1st team and still keep him for another season.

from the premier league, who would realistically be after him?

Man Utd - they have Rafael so Byram would only be backup

Man City - Zabaletta, Byram would be backup

Chelsea - might be interested.

Arsenal - can't see them spending 10m on a right back, Wenger would surely go French anyway.

Spurs - they have 2 right backs that would probably be ahead of Byram in their pecking order, so couldn't see it, unless they sell Bale and one of Kyle Walker/Naughton

Everton - won't spend that kind of money on a right back and they have Coleman on the wing

Liverpool - don't see them spending big on a right sided player. they'll need to get a new center back and maybe a keeper

wouldn't see any of the others going for him, likewise the promoted teams.

So from that fuzzy logic, the only real option where he would move and get a chance at first team football would be Chelsea.

Because for years we had idiots negotiating our sales.
    These guys seems tight, hopefully we'll get loads from any team that wants him.

Also ye never know about the above, new city manager might come in with a clear out.

Zaha going to Man U is an exception. Realistically it's the likes of Stoke, West Brom or Norwich that are going to be looking at our players rather than any of the teams you've mentioned. And it's unlikely that any of them would shell out £8-10m for a full back. If we squeezed £4m out of any of them for Byram that would probably be as good as it gets, and I doubt they'd let us hold onto him for another season either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

IF Leeds went up next season, he'd be a starter every game so he'll have a massive decision to make - wait 12 months or bench warm somewhere. I reckon he'll want to play football.

If we can keep him for another year too, he'll absolutely be worth top money if he keeps developing the way he's going right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Love Sam and will be sick if he goes, I like to think it's 50/50 but maybe that's being naive.

Right backs (generally) are usually the least talented player on a team so it kind of sums up how bad we are that the most coveted player on our team is primarily a right back.

Really looking forward to next season, forgetting all the Sh1t, happy with our new boss and it does make a difference talking to people about Leeds now, not one person has had a bad thing to say about BMcD, things were a little different with Warnock.

So in this case at least new boss not the same as the old boss.

For me, BMcD sounds like a complete breath of fresh air. I love the way he has seen flaws in the setup at the club - bringing in a fitness coach and whatever changes are planned for Thorp Arch and then the combining of the development team and the first team.

That's speaking volumes of his experience in all areas of the clubs foundations.

I can't wait to see who he wants to release from current contracts, never mind who he get in.

• Advertisement

Brian Greenhoff (28 April 1953 – 22 May 2013)
    For anyone who remembers Brian he crossed the Pennines to play with Leeds
    Brian made 78 appearances for Leeds, scoring one goal, between 1979 and 1981.

RIP Brian
    M.O.T
    tfbgt.jpg

Jerome Thomas released by West Brom today.
    did really well for the few weeks he was with us.
    I'd like to see him back at Leeds.
    I think the only reason his loan came to an end was we couldn't afford to pay whatever percentage of his wages West Brom were looking for.

He's the sort of player I'd like to see us going for. He has plenty of PL experience and is only 30, so definitely has another couple of good seasons in him. Just remains to be seen if GFH will pay the wages he'd be looking for.

El Hadj Diouf seems to have gotten himself into a spot of bother back home in Senegal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Jerome Thomas released by West Brom today.
    did really well for the few weeks he was with us.
    I'd like to see him back at Leeds.
    I think the only reason his loan came to an end was we couldn't afford to pay whatever percentage of his wages West Brom were looking for.

Agreed he would be a good signing alright. I see as well that Richard Dunne has been let go at Villa. He's 33 now and was injured for the whole of last season so it would be a risky move but if he could stay fit I think he would be worth adding to the squad for a couple of seasons - if he was prepared to drop to the Championship of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Would love to see Dunne as well as Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt joining Leeds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

We have been linked with Kevin Doyle, Stephen Hunt, Dean Whitehead and Matt Mills in the newspapers this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I would be happy with any one of those. So lets take them all please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Eric Lichaj gone from Villa, wouldnt mind having him back!

I really hope this summer is better. Dont have us linked with loads of players, lads who want to play for us, then sign a lad on loan in the last week of august and sell Ross to norwich.

If that happens, I will end up on a killing spree

• Advertisement

wouldn't be overly happy with Stephen Hunt.
    all he ever seems to do is scurry around like a hobbit being chased by an orc.

I reckon Kevin Doyle, Stephen Hunt, Dean Whitehead, Richard Dunne, Eric Lichaj and Matt Mills would all be welcome additions and most of the overpaid underachievers let go IMO.

I would class Kevin Doyle as a similar type of player as Lee Chapman but he needs balls fed to him and that's the type of player Leeds lost when Snodgrass, Gradel, Howson and Johnson were all sold on.

its such a shame that we had a decent clear out at the end of last season but only replaced them with more crap that we now have to get rid of again.

Tonge, Norris, Varney, Drury......

RIP. Don Revie. 24 years ago today.

M.O.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Noel Hunt seems certain to sign

he's not prolific, but not a bad freebie.
    Good to see us getting deals done early

Some pretty cool retro tops available on Sports Direct folks

http://www.sportsdirect.com/score-draw-retro-leeds-united-1978-home-shirt-377534

37753401_l.jpg

Only €16.80

http://www.sportsdirect.com/score-draw-retro-leeds-united-1992-league-champions-shirt-377536

37753601_l.jpg

€27.60

http://www.sportsdirect.com/score-draw-leeds-united-retro-track-jacket-mens-375513

37551357_l.jpg

€36

and Im getting this one now

http://www.sportsdirect.com/score-draw-leeds-1974-jersey-mens-375512

37551201_l.jpg37551201_l_a1.jpg

€22.80

Delivery is €4.99, so not bad for under €30.
    Been looking for an all white top for years, Bremners will do just fine :cool:

Keeping it clean will be the hard part :pac:

so, we'll be playing Udinese B again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

so, we'll be playing Udinese B again next season.

Doubt it. They'll all be gone back:)

• Advertisement

408194_580883055279489_1874801281_n.jpg

Norwich are at it again!!!! :D

any chance we could feed them Brown, Varney, Drury, Peltier, Tonge, Norris?

any chance we could feed them Brown, Varney, Drury, Peltier, Tonge, Norris?

They'd need to use a bin truck for them ;)

Anyone manage to spot the Salem Patel post on Waccoe this evening around 22:30. Mods have now taken it down but basically saying that he's in the middle of Financial Irregularities and all sorts and should be big news in the papers tomorrow. We'll know how true it is in 24hrs .......

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20130529/pre-season-201314-details-confirmed_2247585_3194719

So no trip to Belfast after all. FC Nurmberg will be a good test at ER.

If anyone is thinking of going, DON'T book Ryanair flights yet (to LBA). I reckon the price will go down in about 2 weeks time, to a price which will include the Free Web Check-In

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

A Leeds XI will play Shelbourne at Tolka Park on Monday 29th July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

championc wrote: »
    Anyone manage to spot the Salem Patel post on Waccoe this evening around 22:30. Mods have now taken it down but basically saying that he's in the middle of Financial Irregularities and all sorts and should be big news in the papers tomorrow. We'll know how true it is in 24hrs .......

Did anything else come of this?

Hijpo wrote: »
    Did anything else come of this?

Nothing. There was a few strange posts on the site that night.

KJ wrote: »
    A Leeds XI will play Shelbourne at Tolka Park on Monday 29th July.

So just the Development Squad :( Might go if cheap enough. Can't see it being more than a Fiver. Only plus might at that stage be some trialists playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

From YEP

Asked if he was facing competition for his preferred signings, McDermott said: “The question I always ask of players is ‘do you want to play for this club?’
    “If the answer to that is ‘yes, but I’d rather go elsewhere for the sake of a few quid extra’ then it’s better that the player moves elsewhere. I’ve no issue with that. But the ones we’ve been in touch with have been receptive and they’re giving me the feeling that they want to come. That’s important.”

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10l891_follow-weareleedsmot3-mcdermott-happy-with-progress-at-leeds-interviewed-by-apopey-lufc_sport#.Ua8BBou9KSO

Very positive interview from BMD

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement