Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration Fee?????????? Please Give Advice

• 20-08-2011 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

So I know its €2000 and Ive applied for my grant but;

1. My grant isnt going to come through by registration day so does the IT accept a letter from VEC to say i've applied??

2. If answer is no to 1. Can I say pay like €250 a month till grant comes through???

If anyone has been in same boat as me could you please tell me your experiences on dealing with this??

I did ring the college few weeks ago and was basically told that they havent a clue about the grants YET... I dont understand this at all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Nolaner

Are you only going into first year?

if you are then yeah you have to bring a letter from your VEC saying that you qualify for the grant! But you still have to pay some of the fee that day! For me last year i believe it was somewhere around 700 euro, but it gets paid back to you when you get your grant! I honestly dont know if they would let you pay that initial fee in smaller weekly/monthly payments! You'll have to ring up admissions for that!

If your going into a higher year than first year, and you got a grant last year, then all you have to do is show your grant acceptance letter and you don't have to pay anything!

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

You have till the 31st October to show proof that you are getting the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Want Justice

@nolaner cheers for getting back to me...700 f*ck me i dont have that sort of money... This whole grant thing is a pain in the arse...

@mak united Can you elaborate on that??? Like will they wait till 31 oct to get paid?? I know ill get the grant because of my circumstances..... You would think in these hard times they'd give you some leeway

Any student who does not submit the grant approval letter to the Admissions Office by 31st October will be required to pay the Student Contribution Fee of €2000.00 in full

I'm sure they will understand when you go in to talk to them on reg day. Just don't worry about it.

Cheers man you've de-stressed me by 50%

• Advertisement

No problem, don't stress about it. (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Nolaner

Yeah i wouldnt worry about it, at the end of the day, they want you there in college so im sure they will cut you some slack!

Just get in contact with them and they will give you all the help you need!

Good thing about being a student is that there are alot of resources and organizations to help ya out! :)

So just to update incase anyone else is wondering..... College rang me and said once I have letter from VEC to say I applied for grant i'll be grand....So here I f**king come Carlow IT...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

I hate to tell you, it's the letter saying your grant has been awarded or nothing!!!

You've been misinformed!!

Ms Happy, i was only talking to admissions like two days ago. And I sent an email which has been replyed to.... So im happy dont be trying to stress me out......

• Advertisement

Ms Happy, i was only talking to admissions like two days ago. And I sent an email which has been replyed to.... So im happy dont be trying to stress me out......

Not trying to stress you out, if you look back at my previous posts you'll see my advice is always right as I am an employee of the Institute.

PM me if you want further info. I'd be interested to find out who gave you the wrong information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

i'm in the same boat for AIT, applied for the grant which i should get due to my circumstances also. but i don't have the likes of 700 on the day.
    can you shed some light on this ms happy? what is the outcome of showing up on reg day without proof of grant, or dosh?

wesf wrote: »
    i'm in the same boat for AIT, applied for the grant which i should get due to my circumstances also. but i don't have the likes of 700 on the day.
    can you shed some light on this ms happy? what is the outcome of showing up on reg day without proof of grant, or dosh?

The various IoT's work slightly differently,

Carlow operate a fee by installment, basicly it's 500 on the day and the balance by the end of october if you're not eligible for a grant. If you pay a by fee by installment and get a grant the ammount you pay will be refunded but that could be in November - at the earliest!

Fee by installments aren't done in all IoT's fro years Carlow was the only college that operated one at all!

Ring Athlone and see if they can do fee by installment..... if they don't you really only have 2 options:

1. Put pressure on your grant authority for a letter, or date when you'll recieve your award.
    2. Pay the registration fee and get refunded - hopefully AIT do fee by installment!!

Sorry I can't give you any good news :(

Enjoy college :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

thanks for the info :) i am broke so paying and waiting for a refund won't be an option!
    i'll go in on the reg day and see how i get on, but will get onto the vec in the meantime! thanks again and i'll try :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Go on to the Carlow IT website and complete the online registration and tick the part saying you've been awarded the VEC grant. Like someone said here already you have until 31st Oct to bring in the letter.

Online registration is the boss! Good luck whatever happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Go on to the Carlow IT website and complete the online registration and tick the part saying you've been awarded the VEC grant. Like someone said here already you have until 31st Oct to bring in the letter.

Online registration is the boss! Good luck whatever happens.

Thats only for students who are moving onto the next year of their course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Sorry to hijack the thread.

@MsHappy,
    Is it possible to get a letter to say I am commencing my course as a fulltime student for Back To Education before the registartion date?
    I don't have that €2000 and I don't know how long the VEC will take to approve. I have to money for registration.

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread.

@MsHappy,
    Is it possible to get a letter to say I am commencing my course as a fulltime student for Back To Education before the registartion date?
    I don't have that €2000 and I don't know how long the VEC will take to approve. I have to money for registration.

could you just show the letter you got offering you your place ?

threein99 wrote: »
    could you just show the letter you got offering you your place ?

No.
    You need the letter that you got the place in order to qualify for Back to Education. After that when you do qualify you need a letter from Admin office, that you are now registered full time before you get paid.

The problem is I can't registered because I have no money but I am awaiting results from Grant Office to cover my reg fee.

RealistSpy wrote: »
    No.
    You need the letter that you got the place in order to qualify for Back to Education. After that when you do qualify you need a letter from Admin office, that you are now registered full time before you get paid.

The problem is I can't registered because I have no money but I am awaiting results from Grant Office to cover my reg fee.

You need to get onto the grants office then to give you a letter saying you are eligble for the grant. I dropped my forms in last monday and she said to ring her early next week and let her know when im registering and she will try have the letter as quick as she can.

I didnt need a letter to start my payments on back to education last year just that I got the offer.

• Advertisement

threein99 wrote: »
    You need to get onto the grants office then to give you a letter saying you are eligble for the grant. I dropped my forms in last monday and she said to ring her early next week and let her know when im registering and she will try have the letter as quick as she can.

I didnt need a letter to start my payments on back to education last year just that I got the offer.

Thanks I will try this.

There's a few questions here, so here we go....

Students can no longer hold BTEA and a grant it's one or the other now i'm afraid.

If a student gets BTEA they still have to apply to their VEC/Council for the registration fee part of the grant - If i had to choose I would pick BTEA as it is a weekly payment into your account and you'll be able to get it for the whole time you are in college, unlike the grant where you'll only get it for the duration of the course.

The college is very particular about letters, they can only give a letter to a registered student ie a student who has their student card and has done all their paper work IYKWIM :o

Online registration was launched just over a week ago and is really only available to full time students progressing within their original course IE year 1 to year 2 of a level 6 or from year 1/2 to 3 of a level 7 etc!

HTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

From what I can make out from the letter I have, you have until 31st October to produce the confirmation letter from your VEC. If you do not get approved for the fees then you have until December 14th to pay €2000.

drunk_monk wrote: »
    From what I can make out from the letter I have, you have until 31st October to produce the confirmation letter from your VEC. If you do not get approved for the fees then you have until December 14th to pay €2000.

@drunk_monk ; you got letter from college saying this????

@mshappy ; It looks like theres a lot of confusion over this, and as you said you work there, could you possibly get a friend from admissions to clarify whats actually happening here with this please???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 RarestSolanum

This is starting to confuse me.
    I'll be going to Carlow IT, so I'm looking for clarification really.
    On the day, if I don't have the acceptance letter, I have to pay the €2000 or I pay the €500 then, and each 2 weeks after until I get the letter. When I get the letter, the money will be refunded early November. Correct ?

This is starting to confuse me.
    I'll be going to Carlow IT, so I'm looking for clarification really.
    On the day, if I don't have the acceptance letter, I have to pay the €2000 or I pay the €500 then, and each 2 weeks after until I get the letter. When I get the letter, the money will be refunded early November. Correct ?

If you have a letter saying you are eligble for the grant/fees you wont have to pay the €2000 on the day of registration. If you dont you will according to the info I got today about registrating dates.

@drunk_monk ; you got letter from college saying this????

@mshappy ; It looks like theres a lot of confusion over this, and as you said you work there, could you possibly get a friend from admissions to clarify whats actually happening here with this please???

What I said is what is happening.

BTW you have to have the letter stating your grant has been awarded and nothing else i'm afraid.

If anyone has a specific query or is insure please feel free to PM me.

Ms Happy wrote: »
    The various IoT's work slightly differently,

Carlow operate a fee by installment, basicly it's 500 on the day and the balance by the end of october if you're not eligible for a grant. If you pay a by fee by installment and get a grant the ammount you pay will be refunded but that could be in November - at the earliest!

Fee by installments aren't done in all IoT's fro years Carlow was the only college that operated one at all!

Ring Athlone and see if they can do fee by installment..... if they don't you really only have 2 options:

1. Put pressure on your grant authority for a letter, or date when you'll recieve your award.
    2. Pay the registration fee and get refunded - hopefully AIT do fee by installment!!

Sorry I can't give you any good news :(

Enjoy college :)

But how can you be so sure??? College is giving out conflicting information to people. Is your above right that 500 will be accepted on day??

But how can you be so sure??? College is giving out conflicting information to people. Is your above right that 500 will be accepted on day??

Without sounding smart Yes I am sure, I am not going to say what department I work in. If you have any doubts about the validity of my information or that I work in the college contact the Carlow mod on Boards ShayK

I already asked you for a PM of who gave you the information in the college as it incorrect.

The college is not giving out conflicting information, it sounds like 1 employee may have given wrong info to one person.

• Advertisement

Ms Happy wrote: »
    OMG without being smart Yes I am sure, I am not going to say what department I work in. If you have any doubts about the validity of my information or that I work in the college contact the Carlow mod on Boards ShayK

I already asked you for a PM of who gave you the information in the college as it incorrect.

The college is not giving out conflicting information, it sounds like 1 employee may have given wrong info to one person.

Look im not trying to annoy you or anything, ive been told on this dont worry you'll be grand then VEC say; Carlow It is awkward over the grant and you must have letter... Carlow IT say dont worry just come in on registration day.. You work for Carlow It and you say no approval letter no registration... That im afraid is confliting information. All of it... Now if you look at the someone post above they say they have a letter from college (I assume) and you also say in earlier post about installments, can ya do this??? This will even help me out.....

I just asked maybe thinking that you MIGHT have been mistaken.....I was in no way discrediting your advice....I appreciate this and sure if I get past registration Ill get ya a coffee for annoying you on this ha

Is there a debate team here maybe i should just go on that...

Advertisement