Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the meaning of this line:

• 20-08-2011 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

'full many a flower is born to blush unseen and waste it's sweetness on the desert air'

Cheers,

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

'full many a flower is born to blush unseen and waste it's sweetness on the desert air'

Cheers,

Which part of it are you having trouble understanding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

What's the context? Is it to do with things going unappreciated? Or is it about beauty not needing to be appreciated? Or or or...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭howsshecuttin

Which part of it are you having trouble understanding?
    It all :(

Fewcifur wrote: »
    What's the context? Is it to do with things going unappreciated? Or is it about beauty not needing to be appreciated? Or or or...

It was a joke I posted on facebook and got it in a reply and I just don't have a clue what it means!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

What was the joke you posted? It could be about not letting your talents go to waste, could be about a lot of things.

• Advertisement

I got job in a cafe tomorrow,

I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

It's from a poem called Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard (I think that's the full title) by Thomas Gray. I studied it in university. It's mainly a poem about death and remembrance. Excellent poet actually.

It's hard to line that verse up next to the joke and try to extract some meaning out of it...unless the person who posted thinks you are wasting your time posting awful jokes on a social networking site, but that you're not to blame as awful jokes are a natural occurence on Facebook and the matter is beyond your control. Ultimately, your friend has come to terms with the way the world of FB works.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Daleno

People troll on the creative writing boards? Weird.

Anyway I'm pretty sure if you take the 'full' out of the quote it works well to make the point that though some people could have some wonderful and insightful things to say but only to have it wasted on people who don't understand.

Daleno, That's what I was thinking because somebody commented underneath it ask how I could get a job and she couldn't as she didn't get it! Cheers for the help!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Great line

• Advertisement
Advertisement