Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilmessan race Sunday

• 20-08-2011 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Anyone know route details about this race on Sunday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Can't help you with that but I was wondering if there was an A4 race.

Seems there is an A4 race this evening as well as one tomorrow. I think I'll give tonight's one a go - any info on the course would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

just got off the phone to noel. He says he will run an A3/A4 if he gets the numbers but with the small numbers of A1s around its more likely to be a handy cap on both days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

just got off the phone to noel. He says he will run an A3/A4 if he gets the numbers but with the small numbers of A1s around its more likely to be a handy cap on both days
    Hope it's a bit longer than the 1 minute we got in Donore!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

can anybody answer, why the organisers give such small handicaps any race that I've done in the last few weeks where this has been the case the A3's where caught in less than 20k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭skidpatches

J Madone wrote: »
    Anyone know route details about this race on Sunday?
    kilmessan - bellinter cross - bective loop. Seven 13km laps I believe.

Six laps tomorrow I think. It was three tonight.

It was a handicap race and the A3/A4 group were caught on the first lap. It was my first open race and I had no idea what was going on. I nearly missed the start so I didn't get to ask anyone. I didn't know who I was supposed to be racing against or what the colours on the numbers meant - they were mostly blue so I thought that might be A4! I found it alright and came home with the bunch. I didn't go all out on the sprint because I thought there were too many in front of me. It turns out that there were hardly any A4s towards the front of the bunch so I should have pushed a bit harder. I enjoyed it a lot and was happy to find I could do OK at open race level. I will give a few more of these a go next year.

Damian from Dublin Wheelers who regularly does Swords League races got second A4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Is it flat, draggy, steep hills, all of the above?

Any idea if it's separate races or handicap tomorrow?

Well done manwithaplan. Sounds like going without a plan might have been the best plan. Ironic:pac: will try that tomorrow.

Couple of small drags but mostly very flat. Big ring all the way.

Edit - Not sure what the plan is tomorrow

This is the circuit (I think!):

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/655128

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I saw the start. I don't think the A3/4 had very much of a handicap. I'd say max 2 minutes.
    They were caught by lap 2 with a group in the break including Philip Lavery. Poor Lavery had bad luck though as he showed up at the finish with about 4 laps to go with a broken wheel.

it was a crap race those A3 & A4's just hang on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

not sane wrote: »

Isn't that the point of the grading system? Maybe they are hanging on because that's all they can do when they get caught, do you expect A4 riders to push the pace when they are caught by A2/A1, if so, surely they would be riding in the latter categories. BTW, I don't race, just expressing my feelings on your statement,granted there are probably those that could and should be riding in a higher category. But to a lot of A4's these races are a learning curve, who knows some of these guys you complain about "just hanging on" may just hand your ass to you next season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

xz wrote: »
    Isn't that the point of the grading system?
    Exactly. If they could drive and attack an A1 bunch, then they wouldn't be A4 riders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

A4's shouldn't be racing against A1's anyway.

The season has been a bit lopsided. Loads of A4, A3 individual category races at the start of the season and none at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Ha Ha! I didnt enjoy it ticket collecting all day long and I had a lot by race finish. I thought that was extremely hard just back from a week on hols and I did 3 1.5 hr spins but not enough intensity.

I agree the A4 should have their separate race and shouldnt be in with the A1 just because it would be more enjoyable for them to have their own and the circuit was big enough for them to do a 4 lapper and the rest of the animals to do 6.

Despite my utter confusion on Saturday night, I enjoyed being in with faster riders. A small A4 only race wouldn't have been half as much fun. I assume over six laps the A1s and A2s would have gotten away anyway and left the mere mortals to fight it out amongst themselves?

well i enjoyed it even went up the road before we were caught ,
    as for A3/A4s in open races it depends on your goals as a old A4 it was never my goal to be competitive in A1 races in fact i dont even want to be riding with them,with my training base i havent a hope of hanging on, given we were only given 2min of a handicap,but im being forced to as its either that or dont race at all,with up to 100 riders taking the start they could have easily split the field as i was told would happen if they got the numbers !
    anyway got in 4 laps @ 39kmh good work out of me bit disappointed i didnt hang on a bit longer it was scary at times in that big bunch but good fun while it lasted

killalanerr, were you out on Saturday evening too? There was another Swords rider there who I knew to see but didn't get a chance to talk to. Well I jokingly said "go on Swords" to him/you at some stage during the race and he/you looked at me like I was on drugs!

no wasnt me. i love a bit of banter i all ways have a bit of crack when im able to talk that is :-):)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well I jokingly said "go on Swords" to him/you at some stage during the race and he/you looked at me like I was on drugs!
    You tell him from me that unsubstantiated doping allegations will not be tolerated;)

morana wrote: »
    Ha Ha! I didnt enjoy it ticket collecting all day long and I had a lot by race finish. I thought that was extremely hard just back from a week on hols and I did 3 1.5 hr spins but not enough intensity.

I agree the A4 should have their separate race and shouldnt be in with the A1 just because it would be more enjoyable for them to have their own and the circuit was big enough for them to do a 4 lapper and the rest of the animals to do 6.

Only joking it was a great race, and I was one of those A3's. I thought you would've been in your element on that course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

nomadic wrote: »
    A4's shouldn't be racing against A1's anyway.

The season has been a bit lopsided. Loads of A4, A3 individual category races at the start of the season and none at the end.

I wonder if there any plans to try shake this up for next year?

Going to start winter training now otherwise - aiming to peak on March 1st :)

It's the only argument for not getting into A3 on merit and just going for a free upgrade.

Advertisement