Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lair V.3 (now with added sexehness and hungover spoonbadger!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

afternoon lair.

life sucks. to be exact goodbye life, it was nice knowing you :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Why does life suck so much?

Rejoice - for the new Minecraft update is finally out, haven't noticed many of the changes yet, but am looking forward to playing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Afternoon All

afternoon BZ, how's life

hdowney wrote: »
    afternoon lair.

What's up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

afternoon lair.

MjLsq.jpg

Do you want a cupcake from Gir?
    hondasam wrote: »
    afternoon BZ, how's life

Busy in work but I'm heading off to Brussels on Saturday so not all bad :pac:
    How are you?

• Advertisement

What's up?
    Shiminay wrote: »
    Why does life suck so much?

Rejoice - for the new Minecraft update is finally out, haven't noticed many of the changes yet, but am looking forward to playing more.

I got my timetable for the semester today :eek:

first thing to note is when i am in kitchens i need to be in 1/2hr before i am due in to put uniform on and am there 1/2 hour after to change out of it. sooo (what i can remember - the mother has taken it to work to photocopy).

Monday. Kitchens start at 8am! finish at 5pm i think.

Tuesday i think i am in at 10am cant remember what for.

Wed i am in at 12 but there til 9pm.

Thurs in at 9am and may be there til 9pm :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

tbh, those sound like actual chef's working hours, so get used to it I'm afraid. It's a vocation and not a job, it's also why you have a trend towards alcoholism in chef's because they're running on high for so long in the day, it takes too long to come down from that and get any sleep, so they drink themselves to sleep.

Shiminay wrote: »
    tbh, those sound like actual chef's working hours, so get used to it I'm afraid. It's a vocation and not a job, it's also why you have a trend towards alcoholism in chef's because they're running on high for so long in the day, it takes too long to come down from that and get any sleep, so they drink themselves to sleep.

i'll fit in just fine then!!! :D:D

ah no i am sure it'l be fine when i get used to it, tis just a small bit of a shock to see it written down (i was expecting it). mind you there are 3 class groups in our year, and mine are the only ones who got the big hours like that. so they other two are probably there like ah sure this is grand, they will get a nasty shock come next semester when they get the hard hours and hopefully we might get the lighter workload - i don't mind getting it over with from the start :)

I got my timetable for the semester today :eek:

first thing to note is when i am in kitchens i need to be in 1/2hr before i am due in to put uniform on and am there 1/2 hour after to change out of it. sooo (what i can remember - the mother has taken it to work to photocopy).

Monday. Kitchens start at 8am! finish at 5pm i think.

Tuesday i think i am in at 10am cant remember what for.

Wed i am in at 12 but there til 9pm.

Thurs in at 9am and may be there til 9pm :(

What's wrong with that? Don't see the problem.

you want to be a chef, get used to having to stay late and working long hours.
    It's not an easy job.

forgot to mention breakfast, in for 7am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Fewcifur wrote: »
    But but but... it's pretty much Oblivion but with guns and a post-apocalyptic setting :D

I don't like anything with guns (the portal gun doesn't count :P), Oblivion was my perfect game :P

Hai guiz, how goes?

• Advertisement

What's wrong with that? Don't see the problem.

you want to be a chef, get used to having to stay late and working long hours.
    It's not an easy job.

ah i know that. it was just a bit of a shock seeing it in black and white yakno. also the whole i live over an hour from college thing adds to it all with travel. but i was expecting lots of hours and lates and things

Busy in work but I'm heading off to Brussels on Saturday so not all bad :pac:
    How are you?

I'm grand. Brussels nice, bring back something nice.:p

ah i know that. it was just a bit of a shock seeing it in black and white yakno. also the whole i live over an hour from college thing adds to it all with travel. but i was expecting lots of hours and lates and things

welcome to the real world I'm afraid. Chef's rarely get to leave on time.
    prepare yourself for a tough time ahead and I hope you can taken criticism,been shouted at and generally been a dogs body for the head chef.
    This is what it will be for the first two years.
    You are just starting, you got work placement yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

jokettle wrote: »
    The ones with fez hats and little waistcoats.

Excellent, they're currently in abundance.
    I don't like anything with guns (the portal gun doesn't count :P), Oblivion was my perfect game :P

Hai guiz, how goes?

No guns.... but bows&arrows and fireballs? You're such a chancer Squish! :P

welcome to the real world I'm afraid. Chef's rarely get to leave on time.
    prepare yourself for a tough time ahead and I hope you can taken criticism,been shouted at and generally been a dogs body for the head chef.
    This is what it will be for the first two years.
    You are just starting, you got work placement yet?

no placement yet. i know i will have placement on fridays this semester, and i know over the whole summer. i have a placement prep class on monday so i assume i shall find out more about placement then. i hope i can get a placement in wicklow rather than somewhere in dublin that might be more difficult to access. there are some great restaurants in wicklow so hopefully, also a lot of the people on my course are from dublin, so let them divvy up the dublin ones yakno.

it is a bit of a culture shock, mainly cos it has been a few years since i was in education, or had a job so getting into the swing of it. so far i have managed the early mornings so we shall keep plodding on

no placement yet. i know i will have placement on fridays this semester, and i know over the whole summer. i have a placement prep class on monday so i assume i shall find out more about placement then. i hope i can get a placement in wicklow rather than somewhere in dublin that might be more difficult to access. there are some great restaurants in wicklow so hopefully, also a lot of the people on my course are from dublin, so let them divvy up the dublin ones yakno.

it is a bit of a culture shock, mainly cos it has been a few years since i was in education, or had a job so getting into the swing of it. so far i have managed the early mornings so we shall keep plodding on

You could get your own placement,is it possible in the college you are in?
    Are you working in a restaurant at the moment?
    have you experience?

You could get your own placement,is it possible in the college you are in?
    Are you working in a restaurant at the moment?
    have you experience?

i honestly don't know if we are expected to find our own placement, they find it for us or a combination of the two. i hope i find out on monday where i stand, so if i am supposed to start off finding my own i can go approach some of the places i would like to work in here.

nope not in a restaurant at the mo and nope no experience in kitchens

i honestly don't know if we are expected to find our own placement, they find it for us or a combination of the two. i hope i find out on monday where i stand, so if i am supposed to start off finding my own i can go approach some of the places i would like to work in here.

nope not in a restaurant at the mo and nope no experience in kitchens

AFAIK if you pick your own place they have to register with the college but it's worth it because you might get weekend work there.
    I'm sure you will be fine but it is hard at first and expect a few to drop out.
    did you get your uniform sorted?

AFAIK if you pick your own place they have to register with the college but it's worth it because you might get weekend work there.
    I'm sure you will be fine but it is hard at first and expect a few to drop out.
    did you get your uniform sorted?

hehe uniform. i want to SCREAM. i am finally picking up my jackets tomorrow. however trousers. i ordered new ones online, and a woman from the company rang me cos my card declined for some reason, there is money on there, it shows up online. she isn't sure why the card is declining - she said sometimes it just happens, she is going to keep trying tonight and in the morning, but if the card doesn't go through by 4pm tomorrow the pants won't arrive friday and i won't have them monday when i need them. argh the stress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

So i came home to a letter from the social welfare just to let me know that my btea was declined. Cheers guys, i had completely forgotten that my future education was completely up in the air because of you!

• Advertisement

So i came home to a letter from the social welfare just to let me know that my btea was declined. Cheers guys, i had completely forgotten that my future education was completely up in the air because of you!

wnkstns :mad:

what happened when you spoke to your tutor?

wnkstns :mad:

what happened when you spoke to your tutor?

Absolute wnkstns! It says on the letter that i can appeal my case with supporting evidence, so Im going to send them a shocker of an angry letter.

My tutor made an appointment for me with the finance officer hopefully she can dig up some answers for me.

I was thinking, if next year i need to apply not btea again for my 2 year course ill still be declined because there's a break in my unemployment. They have literally blocked off every avenue for me.

Absolute wnkstns! It says on the letter that i can appeal my case with supporting evidence, so Im going to send them a shocker of an angry letter.

My tutor made an appointment for me with the finance officer hopefully she can dig up some answers for me.

I was thinking, if next year i need to apply not btea again for my 2 year course ill still be declined because there's a break in my unemployment. They have literally blocked off every avenue for me.

there is a break in your unemployment - however if you do gotta come off the course and go back on ja, you will be on the ja for the required 9mths before re-applying so you should be ok from that avenue. hope your finance officer can help.

there is a guy on my course in exactly the same boat as you rite now :(

there is a break in your unemployment - however if you do gotta come off the course and go back on ja, you will be on the ja for the required 9mths before re-applying so you should be ok from that avenue. hope your finance officer can help.

there is a guy on my course in exactly the same boat as you rite now :(

But if i drop out of this course i won't get into the 2 year course.

But if i drop out of this course i won't get into the 2 year course.

why not?

why not?

Because the chance of getting into the 2 year course without doing the foundation course are quite slim. And also the fact i dropped out Will go against me when it comes to the interview.

Because the chance of getting into the 2 year course without doing the foundation course are quite slim. And also the fact i dropped out Will go against me when it comes to the interview.

frick it indeed. argh this is beyond bolix. seriously govt need a good slappin. they should be helpin people getting into education to better themselves, find employment and contribute to ****e not this crap they are doing

frick it indeed. argh this is beyond bolix. seriously govt need a good slappin. they should be helpin people getting into education to better themselves, find employment and contribute to ****e not this crap they are doing

Imo it you should be able to do as many level 5 courses as you want, as long as you only claim btea or grants for 1... If that makes sense! I mean i didn't even k.ow btea existed when i did my plc and that's being held against me!

Imo it you should be able to do as many level 5 courses as you want, as long as you only claim btea or grants for 1... If that makes sense! I mean i didn't even k.ow btea existed when i did my plc and that's being held against me!

it does. argh stress. college could kill people! drink required. you in tomorow?

• Advertisement

it does. argh stress. college could kill people! drink required. you in tomorow?

Aye. Im going to stick it out until i literally can't afford the bus there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement