Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

crossroads

• 20-08-2011 5:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46

Hi all,

I really want to be a teacher. I have a degree and masters but have only ever applied for the pgde for NUI Colleges and have been unsuccessful. I'm open to teaching priamry or secondary. I do not have HL Irish for primary but would be willing to do it. For secondary i can teach business economics and accounting.

So basically Im at a crossroads in my life (for want of a better phrase). I work part time in a good job with decent pay but now I need to make the decision of do I go full force with teaching or leave it and get a full time job maybe returning to teaching in a few years when the market is less saturated.

My gut is telling me to go for teaching now obviously this will take me 2 years at least to be fully qualified but I'm unsure about what option to take. go to england? sub for secondary teaching? do higher level irish and apply for the primary course next year.

Also what is the best way to go about subbing? am I to late to even apply?

Also is it true if you do your pdge for primary or secondary you must do a years teaching in england before you come home?

Has anyone got any opinions on what I should do? Its all very confusing.

Thanks alot :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Unlikely that you will get subbing due to the huge oversupply of fully qualified teachers. It's a bad time to be getting into teaching,to be honest.It might be worth your while doing some voluntary work in a primary school to see if this is what really you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Try your old Secondary school for starters. Tough times, but you may just get lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I think you definitely need to see if you can get some experience volunteering/observing in both primary and secondary settings. There's a huge difference between the two system in so many ways - pros and cons, methodologies, the non-teaching aspects of the job (which are the most stressful parts a lot of the time).

I have to second the advice you've got above about it being a bad time for looking for teaching work. I know of a lot of people who have been out of Mary I for a few years at this stage and still don't have anything full time. The best most of them are getting is a Maternity leave, or else it's just random subbing. No holiday pay, no guaranteed work. Some of these people have amazing CVs, volunteer work, extra qualifications etc, but still nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if the pupil-teacher ratio is raised again in the near future either.

Advertisement