Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP Touchpad Thread (NO Discussion Of Personal Buying/Selling)

• 20-08-2011 6:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Just a heads up to people.

I'm in NY for the summer and I've just ordered 2 of these for $220.
    HP have discontinued the Touchpad this week and are now letting them go for $99 (16GB) and $149 (32GB).

I know most of you aren't in the USA but treat this as a heads up to get a very good tablet, with Flash Player, at a knock-down price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Great price. Will pick one up if I can get one in Europe at a similar price. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

clacks wrote: »
    Great price. Will pick one up if I can get one in Europe at a similar price. Fingers crossed.
    Any idea if these pads can have the operating system changed to something like android for example?
    Just wondering for future use as HP won't be issuing updates etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

iPhone. wrote: »
    clacks wrote: »
    Any idea if these pads can have the operating system changed to something like android for example?
    Just wondering for future use as HP won't be issuing updates etc.

There is no app store, it may not get future flash updates, but for 99$ its a steal just be aware out will only really be good for the web, watching videos, listening to music and picking up emails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

There is already a project underway to try and get Android ported to it (mentioned on XDA developers). Are there any US stores offering international shipping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

officedepot.com are all out and the HP website is gone back up to $400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

At the moment, the topic on slickdeals (a us bargain website which doesn't know about outside the us(!)) has over 500(!!!) pages of people ordering the tablets

most people seem to be ordering at officedepot (similar to staples) but the concern is that their inventory system isn't linked to their ordering system, hence the orders will be cancelled

as a result people are waiting for other online retailers to reduce the price on theirs (e.g. amazon!)

Link to the first page is below - I don't think it's against the TOS for me to link to it in these circumstances (and the fact we haven't seen any reductions in europe. yet)http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3220862

I'm in for two at officedepot at the moment...

word is that amazon.com's price will change at 3am pst which means I have enough time to make a cup of coffee!

I have doubts about my order at officedepot coming through - but it does say delivery in 3 days - so who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

davork wrote: »
    word is that amazon.com's price will change at 3am pst which means I have enough time to make a cup of coffee!

I have doubts about my order at officedepot coming through - but it does say delivery in 3 days - so who knows!

Quick question, Will amazon UK change? Or will I have to go through the US site? Will they ship to Ireland?

amazon.com do ship to ireland.

Anyone got any info on when this will be offered on this side of the pond, ie Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Anyone find somewhere that ships to Ireland yet? Still high price on amazon.com

I'm hearing that they're shipping the EU stock from finland and hp UK to the US because of high demand over there...

Will give amazon a go at 3am PST :) It would be fantastic to get honeycomb when the guys at XDA figure it out.

I'm hearing that they're shipping the EU stock from finland and hp UK to the US because of high demand over there...

I would take that with a pinch of salt, especially as there are probably lots of stock still in the US already that has not shifted yet.... Amazon.com for example

also wouldn't they need to repackage in some way, different regulations/manuals etc required and US power adapters?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Soup Thief

The power adapter is easy - they have a 110volt plug stepping down to a usb cable - you'll probably have loads of mains plugs to usb kicking about - if not they're available for buttons on ebay
    Would be good to pick one up on amazon.co.uk all uk/eire ready, but while there's any question that this might not happen then i'll get one from amazon.com - the $/€ exchange ain't too bad and when companies translate their headline prices they generally just change the sign and leave the digits as they were, so the $149 currently on officedepot.com for the 32gb version may well translate to €149 rather than the €110 ish that it actually is
    All mere speculation, but I'm gonna be checking amazon.com in 10 minutes
    Even if the gang at xda developers don't get their teeth into this, someone is bound to before too long - and webOS is sposed to be pretty slick in anycase even if it gets no android love

Not seeing the lower price on amazon but people on twitter are saying they can see it. Perhaps the price is for US customers only.

time to proxy...
    edit - bah - still no discounts on amazon.com even when viewing via us proxies
    not to worry - word is they have rather a lot of stock to clear - will go about my business and check back in later...

Could always buy through officedepot.com and ship it with bundlebox - will cost about €30 to ship

Still not seeing any price reduction on amazon.com even through proxy. anyone else having any luck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

According to the american deals site linked here, It was a lie.

time to proxy...
    edit - bah - still no discounts on amazon.com even when viewing via us proxies
    not to worry - word is they have rather a lot of stock to clear - will go about my business and check back in later...

Could always buy through officedepot.com and ship it with bundlebox - will cost about €30 to ship

officedepot are out of stock, they have a back order service but they might cancel on you

• Advertisement

Since I checked a couple of hours back http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/278385/HP-TouchPad-Tablet-16GB/ have added a note - Limit 2 Per Customer - haven't tried to order one but the website indicates they have stock there
    I'm guessing HP have a LOT of these devices to shift, so I suspect they may not be about to sell out this morning - even at these prices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Since I checked a couple of hours back http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/278385/HP-TouchPad-Tablet-16GB/ have added a note - Limit 2 Per Customer - haven't tried to order one but the website indicates they have stock there
    I'm guessing HP have a LOT of these devices to shift, so I suspect they may not be about to sell out this morning - even at these prices...

officedepot require a zip code to order, no direct shipping to ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

It must be a matter of hours before this comes to the eu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Going to get one of these if I can. I only want a tablet for movies and the net, so this would be perfect even without future support.

officedepot require a zip code to order, no direct shipping to ireland..

That is correct, though you can (could - read on) freight them to ireland using bongous.com or similar, at pretty steep prices (€30+)
    I say could, since officedepot website is no longer selling these - can only now be purchased instore
    Perhaps the stock is shifting faster than i thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

According to this Best Buy got 270,000 TouchPads from HP but have only shifted 25,000 of them, so I guess that's another place to look for stock.

invest4deepvalue.com

officedepot are out of stock, they have a back order service but they might cancel on you

now there's a surprise!

Do-more wrote: »
    According to this Best Buy got 270,000 TouchPads from HP but have only shifted 25,000 of them, so I guess that's another place to look for stock.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-Promotions/HP+TouchPad+return+and+Price+Match+policy+details/pcmcat250800050019.c?id=pcmcat250800050019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

If you know anybody in the States, apparently they're not too hard to find in Walmart.

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    If you know anybody in the States, apparently they're not too hard to find in Walmart.

wallyworld is selling out all over the place - at least according to the SD forum (which has over 6K comments now in < 12 hrs)

If you get someone to go to a wallyworld, their best bet is to already be there (I know, I know) or place an order online for store pickup. Thing is walmart's inventory system is updated at 5pm in the evening so things 'happen' overnight...

My order seems safe at the moment (at officedepot) but they send cancels out on Monday mornings (US time) when they mess up inventory

As for the other US stores:
    Amazon don't seem to be doing anything
    Staples apparently might be Tuesday (right, keep checking their website)
    J&R no price change on the website

Other places are
    PC Richard - most stores are O/S and online they are O/S
    MicroCentre - they have removed the pages from their website
    Frys - same as MicroCenter

I got someone to go to a Walmart in North Carolina for me and they hadn't reduced the price. Gah.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

love the way most of us cant even get this "bargain" cause of how its only on the american site :P

What's the cheapest way to post something like this to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

gone again..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Alexgr

Hey guys,

do you think it's worth waiting for any european sites to make any move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

davork wrote: »

At USD399 ?

banchang wrote: »
    At USD399 ?

No, the price changes after you click to checkout.
    I just ordered mine ten mins ago, with credit card, but never got confirmation :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Alexgr wrote: »
    I just ordered mine ten mins ago, with credit card, but never got confirmation :(
    Just added it to cart and got this:

Removed items that are inactive or no longer valid.

Sadface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

I'm nowhere near a shop right now but has anybody chanced their arm and asked in curry's or pcworld in the unlikely event they have any info, be it official or unofficial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

bricky06 wrote: »
    I'm nowhere near a shop right now but has anybody chanced their arm and asked in curry's or pcworld in the unlikely event they have any info, be it official or unofficial?

Declan, the MD of Currys/PC World said he hasn't heard anything yet, but he'll post when he does.

Edit: Currys/PC World forum btw: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1333

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Been looking to get one of these myself. Anyone know if they'll be reducing the price in the EU? At $99 it would be hard not to buy one.

Alexgr wrote: »

apparently they are very very slow to come through...

Mine hasn't appeared either

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Just added it to cart and got this:

Sadface.

I get the same now. What I meant before was that the transaction was succesfully completed but never got an e-mail. Still waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I definitely want this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I'll probably wait until they come (?) to Europe but I used to have a Palm Pre and WebOS is one fantastic system. Even if the official app store closes, there is Preware with its stock of unofficial apps, check it out.

I would certainly get one even just to check how I like tablets at all. iPads are revolting with their candystore aesthetics. Androids are getting better but WebOS is so well designed!

I hope Amazon takes note, apparently they are cooking a cheap multimedia tablet for Christmas - see how people line up for $99 tablets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

mhge wrote: »
    ?.. iPads are revolting with their candystore aesthetics!

Bla,bla,bla........Apple police in the house:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Just a heads up to people.

I'm in NY for the summer and I've just ordered 2 of these for $220.
    HP have discontinued the Touchpad this week and are now letting them go for $99 (16GB) and $149 (32GB).

I know most of you aren't in the USA but treat this as a heads up to get a very good tablet, with Flash Player, at a knock-down price.

Anyone have any idea what the taxes/duty would be on getting one of these from the US?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

rosboy wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what the taxes/duty would be on getting one of these from the US?

Something like 5% duty + €15 handling charge + VAT on the total including postage.

Would that VAT be 20% of the RRP, ie another €100?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement