Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get bean sprouts?!

Options
  • 20-08-2011 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I made a Pad Thai the other day and they didn't have them in my local SQ, SV or not so local Tesco. I'm aware that they were the cause of the e-coli breakout but apparently as long as they're cooked through they're safe.

I want to make Pad Thai again this evening and I'd really like to add bean sprouts to it! Are any shops selling them at the moment?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Any good green grocer should have a stock of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Make sure you get them fresh, Never ever use them from a can

Most supermarkets or any asian store will have em

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Ok so they are still available then? My local fruit and veg shop doesn't stock them so that's why I normally look for them in the supermarkets. I may just have to do a bit of driving today then or else leave them out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Both my local Tesco and Superquinn stock them. Look in the "fridge" section of the veg isle

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Both my local Tesco and Superquinn stock them. Look in the "fridge" section of the veg isle

That's the problem I've been having though. Normally I buy them fresh from one of the local supermarkets. I've looked for them twice in the last month in superquinn, tesco and supervalu and they have been out of stock. I thought maybe they weren't stocking them at present because of the e coli breakout. I'll just have to keep trying these shops until they stock them again it seems as I have no Asian supermarkets near me. Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or sprout your own.
    Buy some mung beans (Tesco sell them) and keep them damp in a dark place for a few days and you'll have bean sprouts.

http://www.primalseeds.org/sprouting.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Dunnes have them! At least my local one does anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Sticjones

I was in oriental emporium on georges street, dublin 2. yesterday and bought them there (for pad thai also!). Got a large enough bag of fresh beansprouts for 90 cents. (they sell by weight). They are down the back near the coriandar, tofu, chillis, etc.

Here's a good recipe for pad thai from the Vegan Black Metal Chef

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg

Cut the tofu! Turn the plate! Cut the tofu!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

bean sprouts were taken off the shelves recently due to an e coli scare... we saw some in superquinn a week ago so it looks like they are back...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Asia Market would be ure best bet..!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Or sprout your own.
    Buy some mung beans (Tesco sell them) and keep them damp in a dark place for a few days and you'll have bean sprouts.

http://www.primalseeds.org/sprouting.htm

And then you know where they've been and that they are fresh. I usually use damp paper towel and gallon size freezer bag in the cupboard :)

Advertisement