Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slightly worried after 1st scan

Options
  • 20-08-2011 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We had our first scan yesterday at 20 weeks. Everything looked perfect according to the sonographer. But when we were waiting outside for the chart she asked us to come back again in 7 weeks for another scan. She said that all the measurements were perfect but that the diameter of the head was slightly large, but was normal.

Its left us a bit worried and Im just wondering has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I wouldn't worry if I were you. If they were really concerned they would have you back earlier than 7 weeks.

Measurements can be off by a bit but it doesn't mean anything is wrong. Our scan at 16 weeks the girl did the measurements on twin 1 twice and came up with 2 completely different sets of measurements. I'd say it's just coming up as slightly over the norm and they want to have another look later on just to be sure, but very unlikely that it is anything. Just look on it as another chance to get to see your little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

I wouldn't worry if I were you. If they were really concerned they would have you back earlier than 7 weeks.

Measurements can be off by a bit but it doesn't mean anything is wrong. Our scan at 16 weeks the girl did the measurements on twin 1 twice and came up with 2 completely different sets of measurements. I'd say it's just coming up as slightly over the norm and they want to have another look later on just to be sure, but very unlikely that it is anything. Just look on it as another chance to get to see your little one.

Yeah she was all smiles and happy when she came out and just said that she wanted to make sure in 7 weeks. Im hoping if there was anything else that she would have said it to us. She said everything else was perfect and baby was very active and looked normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Dont worry, if there was anythign wrong then they would have told u, they cannot withold information from you. I was told my baby was measuring small at 26weeks, they wanted me to have an amniosenthesis and everything, which i refused, but obviously the mention of this left me very concerned about downs syndrome etc. I had two weekly scans after that and everything was fine, now i have a perfectly healthy baby boy! Dont worry, all babies grow differently, they dont all meet they exact growth rates on the doctors chats. If there was something wrong im sure they would want to see u before 7weks! My opinion anyway. Just relax and enjoy ur pregnancy :)

Advertisement