Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the higher cost for a new bike make it near definate to be stolen

• 20-08-2011 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I commute about 16km each way to Dublin city centre via bike and I am near to purchasing a new bike to make the commute quicker. When discussing this with people I mentioned I might spend 1000 euro to get the most out of the bike to work scheme. People recommended not to do that as a bike of that cost will be stolen regardless of how expensive my locks will be. They recommened never to spend more than 500 euro on a bike to the city centre.
    I am wondering what is other peoples experience? Does anyone commute with a relatively pricey bike? Should I keep cycling with my old tank of a bike, but being so cheap no one would think of stealing it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

BULLSH1T.

if you lock a bike securely and smartly it wont go missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Definatly runs a higher risk and will attract more attention, but it really depends on how and where you lock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It isn't definite that a somewhat expensive bike will be stolen. Two good locks (D-locks, by a reputable manufacturer, such as Abus or Kryptonite) put most opportunists off. Make sure that the frame and both wheels are secured. Where you lock it is important too, as some parts of town have more thieves operating than others.

I have a touring bike that was just short of a grand new, and I leave it for hours at a time in town. However, it is a touring bike, which probably means it isn't an object of desire for most people, and its price is a little inflated relative to its components, because touring bikes tend to be a bit over-priced, being a niche market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Depends on the bike, where you leave it and how you secure it. I commute on a decent bike but it's either under my arse, in my office or in the house - I have a hack for those trips where I might need to leave a bike locked where sticky fingers could get hold of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I would prefer to commute in comfort and enjoy it more. I've had a decent enough road bike ( bought for 1200 ) for the past 2.5 years, hasn't been stolen even though I use it everyday living and working in the city center. I also use it as a weekend trainer/ light tourer. This may seem counter intuitive but I use one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-combiflex-202-90cm-cable-bike-lock/ locks if I have to nip into the shops or a cafe. Its light to carry and deters the opportunist, although probably not a pro. Aside from those situations its only ever in my house , secure in work or in a family or friends house. I don't leave it anywhere where I can't see it at a glance and its insured under household contents. Personally I think its better to spend on a spend on a bike if its getting a lot of usage, as you will save on maintenance and repair as well as it being more comfortable - with a bit of planning its possible to make sure the bike is always with you/ within sight/ inside a secure facility.

Touch wood ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

rocstar wrote: »
    deters the opportunist, although probably not a pro.

Or people with sharp teeth :pac:

Two good D-locks, or one very good D-lock and a flex lock for the front wheel. Back wheel gets locked to the frame and an immovable object. Don't worry too much about the weight of the D-lock, as you can more than likely leave it where you park your bike. The secondary lock then can be used if you need to step into a shop quickly on the way in/home. A kryptonite Faghetaboudit or Abus Granite X-plus would be good primary locks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mr Blah wrote: »
    People recommended not to do that as a bike of that cost will be stolen regardless of how expensive my locks will be.
    That's because when non-cycling people think of "expensive locks", they're thinking €30. Rough rule is that your lock should cost around 10% of the value of the bike.
    If you're going to be leaving the bike for long periods (i.e. all day) or in dodgy areas, you will need to spend more.

There are between 3 and 5 bikes parked in our place worth over €1,000. The only theft we know of was one poor guy who left the bike there while he ran into the office to get his lock. Obviously some opportunistic scrote saw the expensive bike, followed him into the car park and lifted the bike when he ran into the building.

Obviously where you park it is always going to influence your choice of lock. A car park isn't necessarily more secure than the public street, especially if it's dark and unmonitored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I should add that my place of work is fairly secure so it is possible to use a small lock or none at all.

I wonder how secure the bike area in the Drury Street car park has been ..

Advertisement