Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bones......warning

• 20-08-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

just thought id let you know. i posted a few weeks about a st bernard i got. well had a call from the breeder yesterday to let me know that one of the litters died. poor pet, he was only just gone 12 weeks. apparently the new owner gave him a bone bought from a pet shop. now not 100% sure of the full story but from what i can gather, the pup was eating this bone on and of for the last 4 days. when they got up the other morning the pup was dead, had a bloated belly. vet opened dog up and its tummy was full of splinters from the bone and his poor little gut was all twisted. Now im not sure if the bone was left with pup or takin away, so dont want to be giving out as im sure there feeling bad enough, but 2 things concern me. 1. i didnt think a bone for a 12 week old pup would be the right thing to give, 2. im sure a pup/dog should not be left unsupervised.
    So really i think what im trying to say is, guys please when giving ur pups/dogs things like this be very careful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I wouldn't give a pup a bone until at least 10 months, think mine were a year or more.
    I will only give fresh raw bones from the butcher and never buy the pet shop ones, god knows how long they are sitting there and what is in/on them.
    Also never feed cooked bones, the number of people I have spoken too that are giving the roast chicken carcass or leg of lamb bones to their dogs is amazing, the two most splintery types of bone.
    The best thing for a teething pup is a nylabone or the like, or freeze an icecream tub of water and bits of meat or dry food etc in, they love chomping on the big blocks of ice to get the tasty bits.
    Poor pup. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Poor puppy :( Sounds like a good responsible breeder thou to let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Poor pup. :( I didn't think those petshop bones were for actually eating, as far as I know they are cooked and only designed for knawing or chewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Poor pup. :( I didn't think those petshop bones were for actually eating, as far as I know they are cooked and only designed for knawing or chewing.

For smaller dogs yeah but any dog with decent size teeth will get through those bones easy enough.

That is a terrible shame about the St Bernard. The poor dog. The poor breeders also, I'd say they feel equals parts guilty and grievous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Never give your dog COOKED bones, cooked bones also covers anything you would buy in a pet shop or shopping center. When cooked it changes the makeup of the bone and it splinters. This is dangerous for both pups and adult dogs a like, I really dont know why they are allowed sell these still.

Uncooked bones are alright to give a dog as a play thing or small bones in RAW chicken are fine and edible and can benifit their teeth by removing plaque as they chew. But please not weight bearing bones(shin and leg) as these are really though and can break teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Any bones I've seen in pet shops seem to be roasted. I'd never give them to my dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

why are they even allowed to sell cooked bones for dogs? It's rediculous.

what's the best raw bones for chewing/eating for a med-lrg dog?
    Chris I didn't know NOT to give the bigger bones like shin and it makes perfect sense when you explain it so thanks for that!
    Was hoping to get some stuff from butchers, they've long outgrown pigs ears now they just inhale them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Robinwood

just thought id let you know. i posted a few weeks about a st bernard i got. well had a call from the breeder yesterday to let me know that one of the litters died. poor pet, he was only just gone 12 weeks. apparently the new owner gave him a bone bought from a pet shop. now not 100% sure of the full story but from what i can gather, the pup was eating this bone on and of for the last 4 days. when they got up the other morning the pup was dead, had a bloated belly. vet opened dog up and its tummy was full of splinters from the bone and his poor little gut was all twisted. Now im not sure if the bone was left with pup or takin away, so dont want to be giving out as im sure there feeling bad enough, but 2 things concern me. 1. i didnt think a bone for a 12 week old pup would be the right thing to give, 2. im sure a pup/dog should not be left unsupervised.
    So really i think what im trying to say is, guys please when giving ur pups/dogs things like this be very careful.

You are absolutely true ! A baby is a bay no matter whether its a Man or a animal ! It should be given the same care which we give to our baby ... and giving a bone to 12 week puppy which has not even got teeth to bite it is totally ridiculous ! Take care of the puppies well guys ...

At first they may come as a pet to your home but will remain as your friend forever in your life.. no matter how may people you may meet no one gonna be as trusty as your pet ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

magentas wrote: »
    what's the best raw bones for chewing/eating for a med-lrg dog?

the best and only type of bone you should give any dog is a "beef marrow bone"
    http://www.antonhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/marrow-bones.jpg

these are perfect and the best all round, theres no sharp ends and theres plenty of activity there for the dog as he has to get all the marrow out from the middle, which will keep him occupied for a good couple hours.and its good for him.

pork bones are too salty and lamb bones may be to brittle,and chicken bones are a no no.

i always leave a duration of 1 month before giving my dog another one, as too much marrow can upset the digestive system,and may also bring on some itching or irritation. and perosnally i wouldn't start giving my dog bones till hes at least 2 years old,but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

these are perfect and the best all round, theres no sharp ends and theres plenty of activity there for the dog as he has to get all the marrow out from the middle, which will keep him occupied for a good couple hours.and its good for him.

pork bones are too salty and lamb bones may be to brittle,and chicken bones are a no no.i always leave a duration of 1 month before giving my dog another one, as too much marrow can upset the digestive system,and may also bring on some itching or irritation. and perosnally i wouldn't start giving my dog bones till hes at least 2 years old,but that's just me.

Just a note to say that feeding raw chicken bones is perfectly fine, its the cooked ones that are very dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

pork bones are too salty and lamb bones may be to brittle,and chicken bones are a no no.

i always leave a duration of 1 month before giving my dog another one, as too much marrow can upset the digestive system,and may also bring on some itching or irritation. and perosnally i wouldn't start giving my dog bones till hes at least 2 years old,but that's just me.

Cooked chicken bones are a no no, raw ones are absolutely fine, and in fact can help with the dog's digestion, if you feed your dog the odd chicken wing, then you shouldn't have to have their anal glands cleaned out.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Just bear in mind that a beef marrow bone is equally as hard as a dog's teeth and will wear down their teeth over time so they shouldn't have permenant access to marrow bones.

Again, uncooked chicken bones are perfectly safe

andreac wrote: »
    Just a note to say that feeding raw chicken bones is perfectly fine, its the cooked ones that are very dangerous.

have to disagree im afraid. ive seen dogs choke on raw chicken bones, if the owner had not of been there to supervise,the outcome would of been death id say.
    Just bear in mind that a beef marrow bone is equally as hard as a dog's teeth and will wear down their teeth over time so they shouldn't have permenant access to marrow bones.

yes, which is why i said :
    i always leave a duration of 1 month before giving my dog another one.
    i wouldn't start giving my dog bones till hes at least 2 years old.

Choking is different than bones splintering inside. Any dog can choke on any raw bone whether its chicken or not so you cant say that feeding raw chicken bones is any more dangerous than feeding any other raw bone.

Raw chicken is fine as it doesnt splinter and they are actually very good for dogs as ISDW stated in her reply.

Choking is different than bones splintering inside. Any dog can choke on any raw bone whether its chicken or not so you cant say that feeding raw chicken bones is any more dangerous than feeding any other raw bone.

Raw chicken is fine as it doesnt splinter and they are actually very good for dogs as ISDW stated in her reply.

Choking is different than bones splintering, yeah, but does that make the situation any better ? no it doesn't, its still bad on the dog.

and there is a size difference between a chicken bone and a beef marrow bone. a dog is more likely to choke on a chicken bone more than a beef marrow.

i never argued that a raw chicken bone is good for a dog, i know they are.that doesn't mean i feed them to my dog, just because they are "good for dogs". i wouldn't take the risk as they can choke on them easier than most other bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

yes, which is why i said :
    i always leave a duration of 1 month before giving my dog another one.

But you didn't say that the dogs should have limited access to the bone, not simply left at it until the bone is gone. They need to be used as a treat, maybe given for an hour each day and no more. I learned this the hard way with one of my dogs having flat teeth now because unfortunately I didn't know better at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Every time I leave the vets he always foes two things
    : hugs the dog when he thinks I'm not looking
    : tells me never to give her bones; ESPECIALLY NOT EVER CHiCKEN BONES because can SPLINTER and KIll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

: tells me never to give her bones; ESPECIALLY NOT EVER CHiCKEN BONES because can SPLINTER and KIll
    ( apparently)

That is only COOKED CHICKEN BONES, NOT UNCOOKED!!!

Seriously, i wish people would do research and get facts right!!

Just look up the BARF or Raw food diet and you will get all the info you need there about feeding raw bones.

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

http://www.skansen.com/nutrition/bone.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

just to be on the safe side, i never feed my dogs any bones wherever cooked or raw.dont think its worth the risk

• Advertisement

just to be on the safe side, i never feed my dogs any bones wherever cooked or raw.dont think its worth the risk

Sure the RAW/BARF diet is full of bones and its very safe to feed. I think people dont do enough research on this and think its dangerous when its not.

agree, if you don't feel comfortable feeding bones,its best to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

My vet claims giving a dog ANY bone is like giving them a grenade. It destroys their insides and he has had to perform numerous operation on dogs who are torn apart when
    trying to go to the toilet and the bone has ripped them apart. Because of this I just cant give my dog a bone of any sort, rightly or wrongly.....

reeta wrote: »
    My vet claims giving a dog ANY bone is like giving them a grenade. It destroys their insides and he has had to perform numerous operation on dogs who are torn apart when
    trying to go to the toilet and the bone has ripped them apart. Because of this I just cant give my dog a bone of any sort, rightly or wrongly.....

I really do wonder about some vets and the conflicting, ill informed information they give clients sometimes....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I really do wonder about some vets and the conflicting, ill informed information they give clients sometimes....:rolleyes:

I know, before the advent of packaged dog kibble, what did dogs used to eat? Hmmmm. One of the reasons man and dog has the relationship that it has is because humans would throw the food they didn't want to the dogs to eat, the bits of the animal that we find inedible, bones, fat etc. My dogs caught a hare in our yard, they killed and ate the entire thing very quickly, bones, teeth, eyes, the lot. No side effects either.

are you a vet yourself ?

are you a vet yourself ?

Nope. But ive seen and heard information vets give out and its not always right, far from it actually. A lot of the old school vets are very behind the times when it comes to pet care, including the likes of the RAW/BARF diet as most of them are not experts in pet nutrition.

well call me old fashioned, but i would rather take the advice off a vet,(someone who has studied and practised for years to get his qualification) over something that i would read on the internet.

well call me old fashioned, but i would rather take the advice off a vet,(someone who has studied and practised for years to get his qualification) over something that i would read on the internet.

What kind of food do you think dogs ate before commercial food was ever introduced?

• Advertisement

What kind of food do you think dogs ate before commercial food was ever introduced?

im sure dogs found more to eat than bones before mankind domesticated them.

Advertisement