Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bones......warning

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

im sure dogs found more to eat than bones before mankind domesticated them.

Like what? Dogs are carnivores so would eat animals, and that includes the bones of the animals so if it wasnt dangerous for them then im sure its no more dangerous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

andreac wrote: »
    Like what? Dogs are carnivores so would eat animals, and that includes the bones of the animals so if it wasnt dangerous for them then im sure its no more dangerous now.

yeah and they had a much shorter life span back then as a result,and many died from diseases and bacteria.

yeah and they had a much shorter life span back then as a result,and many died from diseases and bacteria.

Diseases and bacteria have nothing to do with choking on bones so that argument is irrelevent.
    Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one...

http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/what-bones-can-dogs-eat/8e59372a-7f69-f488-95d7-63ebaf2d62b0

Diseases and bacteria have nothing to do with choking on bones so that argument is irrelevent.

both can lead to death.

oh and in the link you posted, there is also others links of relevance other people might be appreciative of :

Harmful Effects of Raw Dog Food Diets

Arguments Against Raw Dog Food

The Risks of Feeding Raw Food to Dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

both can lead to death.

oh and in the link you posted, there is also others links of relevance other people might be appreciative of :

Harmful Effects of Raw Dog Food Diets

Arguments Against Raw Dog Food

The Risks of Feeding Raw Food to Dogs

Just took a look at the list on the "Harmful effects" of RAW feeding....what a load of ****. I will explain.

Excessive Protein: first of it is a natural level of protein in the meat we give, the calcium deficiency is non existant because we feed it Raw bone in the Chicken and there is a high Calcium content in Liver so this is false.

Parasites: We feed Human grade meat to the dogs not road kill and Human grade meat should be free of all Parasites.

Bacteria: Human grade meat if Handled correctly and kept refrigerated will stay very safe. There was a case of dog food contaminated with Salmonella that had to be recalled recently humans owners ended up in hospital over this but not one case of any dogs being effected so they are more resistant than we are when it come to food poisoning.

Bone Splinters: again wrong as Raw bones dont splinter.

Aggression: again a myth, I can reach into my dogs mouth when he is eating meat and he will let me, he also loves all people and children and is very gentle with other dogs.

Dont believe everything you read, also with respect to the vets, not all of them are in the game just for the Animals and you would find alot siding with pet food as they make a lot of money from selling it, some of their nutritional coarse's they do in University are sponsored or written by pet food companies.

• Advertisement

Dont believe everything you read.

:rolleyes: will do

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I think its safer to feed raw bones to dogs but not when they are cooked - the worse type of bone to feed to a dog is chicken bones! I fed them to my dog for years and then one day a bone splintered in her mouth - she was frantic trying to get it out and we ended up having to put on gloves and pull it out - left her badly cut. I never feed bones to my dog now - once cooked they become dry and will splinter.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I used to buy the roasted bones in my local petshop, but tomorrow I'm going to head to the butcher and see what I can get. I gave my lads raw chicken wings this evening- was feeding them to the cats but realised that I had defrosted too many so the dogs got the rest. Big dog took one straight away, before even realising what it was, greedy fecker, dropped it in the dirt, nosed it around until it was completely covered in dirt, then picked it up again and ate it:rolleyes: I'm quite sure the bacteria in that isn't going to kill him somehow

Quoting this from one of the links as well as I found them to be quite ridiculous:

"Feeding your dog raw food increases risk of adverse reactions to certain foods. Just like humans, dogs have food allergies and intolerances. On a raw-food diet, it may be difficult to pinpoint exactly what foods your dog can and cannot handle. According to dogpeople.org, beef, dairy, lamb, chicken, egg, soy and wheat make up 93 percent of all adverse food reactions for dogs. These are frequently found in raw-food diets."

I mean, seriously? Has this person even read the back of a bag of dog food? These are all the meats and ingredients mostly found in kibble, I cant imagine it would be all that difficult to determine what the dog is allergic to when you're making up his bloody meals yourself.

The whole thing just makes me wonder how wild dogs and wolves are surviving, especially those that eat wildfowl, birds and rob the odd chicken or two? Miraculous that they haven't all died from bacteria or being choked to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

:rolleyes: will do

Yes, watch my blood thirsty monster at work
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrHtMo0l2TA&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

fab dog chris! It's a pity people can't seem to differentiate between COOKED and RAW chicken bones:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i, can myself, see what the difference is between both types of bones and i can see why cooked bones should be a big no no. but i dont think nothing is going to make me change my mind about giving my guys any type of bones raw or otherwise. yes i know im wrong and this is all dogs used to eat but for me id rather not chance it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I only give my girls slow cooked rib bones; the type that are so soft that they crumble in your hand, not break or splinter, crumble. They're so soft that I could eat them.

Kylith, you shouldnt be giving any cooked bones at all to your dog. Soft is not good so if you want to feed bones please make sure they are raw, not cooked, as what you are doing is quite dangerous for your doggy...:eek:

Kylith, you shouldnt be giving any cooked bones at all to your dog. Soft is not good so if you want to feed bones please make sure they are raw, not cooked, as what you are doing is quite dangerous for your doggy...:eek:
    Really? They're practically mush, I can crush them to powder in my fingers.

yes in case you missed the sarcasm in my post there,i was referring to the tripe you posted,i fee asleep reading half way trough it.

oh wow, an excuse to post a video of your dog, get over yourself will ye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

See this is why I don't think I'd chance RAW - my guy would have tried to swallow the whole thing and half choke himself- not take sensible bites like your dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I used to give my dog cooked bones until I found out about the dangers of them. This was around the same time I started doing proper research into dog nutrition after my dog basically stopped growing as I was feeding him a generic brand of puppy food. It's unbelievable the literal rubbish that is in generic kibble. I would also agree rthat certain vets don't have a clue when if comes to dog nutrition, especially a lot of them push a certain brand which is very expensive and is in truth not much better than most generic brands. People think they are doing the best for their dog by buying it but don't realise that they could get a lot better for the same money and that they are being completely ripped off. So I think everyone should take their dogs nutrition into their own hands, do research and decide what is best for them and their budget.

As for raw bones my dog loves them, anf I think that they are good for him as they have good nutrional value, but like all other treats they should be given in moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

kylith wrote: »
    Really? They're practically mush, I can crush them to powder in my fingers.

Imagine that 'mush' in your dogs tummy and intestine and then they drink a load of water - it can practically turn the mush to cement - and the that dog is in serious trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Chloroplast take a couple of days off - there's no need to be insulting, I'm sure I wasn't the only one to see what you said.

Imagine that 'mush' in your dogs tummy and intestine and then they drink a load of water - it can practically turn the mush to cement - and the that dog is in serious trouble.
    And there was me thinking it was safe cos they were so soft :( That's that over so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

kylith wrote: »
    And there was me thinking it was safe cos they were so soft :( That's that over so.

my good deed for today :) its not always knowing whats right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

my good deed for today :) its not always knowing whats right.
    thats the great thing about forums like this, can learn new stuff all the times. as long as ppl stay been pleasent to each other and understand not everybody has the same point of view.

Advertisement