Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

144.9??

Options
  • 20-08-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Did I read that right?

144.9 per litre unleaded petrol at the N13 service station just before Drumkeen on the way into Letterkenny.

Any of the other Donegal regulars use them to fill up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I get diesel there from time to time, I find it grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Filled up with diesel there on Wednesday, I think it was 134.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Interesting thread about cheap diesel on the Motors forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

wow so glad i sold my car, with tax, insurance and fuel i'd have no money to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I reed it right.

'Fill her up' I said.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Saw it today and for a minute thought it was a sterling price. Use a Topaz card so had already filled up at Harkins in Ballybofey for 149.9 which was the cheapest topaz I saw all day. Nice staff too.

I was past it on the way to Letterkenny this morning and I thought maybe I was looking at the Diesel price.

Stopped on the way home, at that price only expecting pumps and a hut, was was presently surprised to see a small shop as well.

Makes you wonder why other service stations cant be more competitive and makes you realise the huge profits and mark ups on the stuff, in addition to the crazy taxes and levys in place.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I was told there are miniscule markups on fuel, the main money being made on the attached shops.

So, if other forecourts are supposedly relying on the shop to break even, how is this other place managing to be cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Can someone give me directions to the shop, new to Letterkenny and don't know any of the shops or the names of em

IPAM wrote: »
    Can someone give me directions to the shop, new to Letterkenny and don't know any of the shops or the names of em

Going from letterkenny head towards Lifford/Derry/Ballybofey/Donegal Town. At the dry arch roundabout turn right for the N13 Ballybofey/Donegal Town. Its about 10 minutes or so driving from that roundabout, on the lefthand side just past Drumkeen.

Its called the N13 Service Station.

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    Going from letterkenny head towards Lifford/Derry/Ballybofey/Donegal Town. At the dry arch roundabout turn right for the N13 Ballybofey/Donegal Town. Its about 10 minutes or so driving from that roundabout, on the lefthand side just past Drumkeen.

Its called the N13 Service Station.

Ah I know it, GF is from Ballybofey. It has a big red N13 sign and under new management sign I think, maybe the new management dropped it to get the customers rolling in again!? Seems a very good price considering the cheapest I've seen is 148.9 at the shop beside Clanree Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Ye's are talkin' about Penny's lads, Get A Grip.
    I'm not gonna drive an extra 10 miles just to save .2 of a cent.
    THINK ABOUT IT.

I drive by everyday And it's not .2 of a cent it's 4c per litre and when your doin 800-1000km a week every little helps

mamakevf wrote: »
    Ye's are talkin' about Penny's lads, Get A Grip.
    I'm not gonna drive an extra 10 miles just to save .2 of a cent.
    THINK ABOUT IT.

Well I wouldn't be going out of my way for it either, but if I'm running low, and i'm going to be passing it, i'll be pulling in if its still that much cheeper than everywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Yeah i got some petrol there last week. I think they are called (or maybe used to be called) Elevin's.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sollar wrote: »
    Yeah i got some petrol there last week. I think they are called (or maybe used to be called) Elevin's.
    Yes, it was Elvins (long time ago) and more recently McCruddens. No idea who the new owner/lessee is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

It's been leased to some company 'Swift Fuels' I think they are called from Ballyshannon.

Got diesel in it the last day and got good MPG from it so must be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I filled up there last week, this thread has made me nervous now.

danthefan wrote: »

I thought most of the comments were quite positive, although I did forget to ask for a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

irish-stew wrote: »
    I thought most of the comments were quite positive, although I did forget to ask for a receipt.
    There was one comment which wasn't acceptable and has been removed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

How come they can sell the diesel so cheap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Passed there today again, 146.9 and 135.9 so price has gone up a bit but still haven't seen anywhere cheaper.

What I think is nuts is at the Dry Arch you have 3 stations there with one sometimes being a couple of cent more expensive than the others. How do they expect to get any business?

Passed there today again, 146.9 and 135.9 so price has gone up a bit but still haven't seen anywhere cheaper.

Looks like I'll be topping up again next time I'm passing.
    What I think is nuts is at the Dry Arch you have 3 stations there with one sometimes being a couple of cent more expensive than the others. How do they expect to get any business?

I thought Letterkenny had an agreement that all the stations kept to the same price to avoid competition, or are the stations at the Dry Arch beyond the boundry.

I looked today, Esso was 149.9, Excol (think that's the name) 151.9 and Martins (again, think that's the name) 150.9, all pretty close but whenever I look the Esso is usually cheaper by 1-2c always forget to check the N13 garage

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Herself indoors put 20 euro into her car a number of weeks back..the next pit stop was in a Petrol station in the twin towns last week, another 20 euro put in. (at a more expensive rate per litre) and the petrol hand was in the exact same position as the N13 fill. The issue of petrol pump calibration issues came to the fore over the past week.. Makes one wonder..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Herself indoors put 20 euro into her car a number of weeks back..the next pit stop was in a Petrol station in the twin towns last week, another 20 euro put in. (at a more expensive rate per litre) and the petrol hand was in the exact same position as the N13 fill. The issue of petrol pump calibration issues came to the fore over the past week.. Makes one wonder..

The difference would be about about 300cl of petrol (a large mug full), your fuel gauge wouldn't show any differences, their not that accurate. Your average car would travel 3 miles further on €20 at the cheaper rate.

Its under new management and they have cut the price of fuel to get people through the doors. Its good business, there are always cars around it whenever i pass. Got diesel there myself a few times since it was taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fuel gauges are only a basic indicator and are generally inaccurate, eg my car will do 320km on the first half tank (from full to half full) but only 200-230 on the second half. The ONLY way you can accurately tell how much a car uses is to fill the tank to the neck/top (till you can get no more in) reset the trip meter and drive till the light comes on and fill again to the neck. Divide the mileage by the amount of fuel and you'll get a km/l or mpg figure and thats what your car uses not what you think you get to €20 worth of petrol.

I suggest you arm yourself with accurate figures before hinting that some stations fuel pumps may not be dispensing correct amounts. I know it happens but using a fuel gauge which uses a float based sensor to determine how much fuel you got isnt the way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

CJC999 wrote: »
    Fuel gauges are only a basic indicator and are generally inaccurate, eg my car will do 320km on the first half tank (from full to half full) but only 200-230 on the second half. The ONLY way you can accurately tell how much a car uses is to fill the tank to the neck/top (till you can get no more in) reset the trip meter and drive till the light comes on and fill again to the neck. Divide the mileage by the amount of fuel and you'll get a km/l or mpg figure and thats what your car uses not what you think you get to €20 worth of petrol.

I suggest you arm yourself with accurate figures before hinting that some stations fuel pumps may not be dispensing correct amounts. I know it happens but using a fuel gauge which uses a float based sensor to determine how much fuel you got isnt the way to go about it.

Point taken. Your suggestion that I arm myself with accurate figures is agreed...yet you 'know it happens'??? Very general statment for someone who is pleading accuracy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I usually use Tinneys in Bonagee to fill up if i'm in Letterkenny they seem to be consistently the cheapest but it would be great if more people used pumps.ie to keep people updated on the petrol prices!
    If the expensive garages don't sell any fuel they will soon drop your prices but its amazing to see the expensive garages with cars cuing up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Topped up there on friday evening,they had advertised 135.9 down the road but at the pump it was 134.9.Good milage out of it.There is another crowd out in Kerrykeel selling cheap stuff (Dowd's maybe I'm not sure of the name). <SNIP>

Mod edit: Just be careful with what you say here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement