Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commissioning a piece of woodwork

Options
  • 20-08-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere in Ireland one would recommend to commission a piece of woodwork from?

To be a little more specific - one of these:

zPermuot.gif

which is a box with a hinged lid.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Ficheall wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Ireland one would recommend to commission a piece of woodwork from?

To be a little more specific - one of these:

zPermuot.gif

which is a box with a hinged lid.

Thanks.
    What are the dimensions and what materials do you want it made out of i.e. solid wood or sheet material ? And, if you don't mind me asking, whats it for? Looks like it could be a challenge to make (a total head wrecker in other words) - every joint is a compound angle from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Have you sizes and what material do you require it in? I'd be interested in making a prototype just for the sake of seeing how to approach it and how hard it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

If anyone here does the commission, it'd be interesting to see some photos!

I'm awaiting dimensions and am eager to get started.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

woodturner wrote: »
    I'm awaiting dimensions and am eager to get started.
    If you get a reply, woodturner, be sure to photograph it from start to finish for us lurkers here.
    It won't be an easy build. Figuring out the angle of how each edge butts up to the adjacent edge is going to take some head scratching (well it would for me anyway :rolleyes:) cutting them shouldn't be too bad if a bit slow - biggest problems I can see are assembly and clamping. The box is going to have to be assembled by pushing the pieces together from the inside if you want the joints to be flush.
    Hopefully it goes ahead for you, should be an 'interesting' project.
    ;)

• Advertisement

I have a head for this kind of work. I might just make a medium sized piece, maybe 5" and go ahead and start it.

Fair play to you. Sure if the worst comes to the worst you'll have a nice thingymajig for you desk. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle it.

Instead of hinging it i was thinking of revolving the lid on a pin, and with a sunken rare earth magnet to keep it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FYI it's called a truncated octahedron, i.e. an octahedron with the vertices 'chopped off' to produce the 6 square faces.

The angles between the faces of polyhedra, called the dihedral angles, can be calculated mathematically and can be found in tables for a bewildering array of different varieties, as they are used a lot in chemistry and crystallography.

In this case, there are two angles to worry about, the angle between adjoining hex faces, and that between the hex faces and the square faces. A bit of googling reveals that it's 109.47 deg between the hex faces and 125.27 deg between the hex and square faces..

Alun wrote: »
    FYI it's called a truncated octahedron, i.e. an octahedron with the vertices 'chopped off' to produce the 6 square faces.

The angles between the faces of polyhedra, called the dihedral angles, can be calculated mathematically and can be found in tables for a bewildering array of different varieties, as they are used a lot in chemistry and crystallography.

In this case, there are two angles to worry about, the angle between adjoining hex faces, and that between the hex faces and the square faces. A bit of googling reveals that it's 109.47 deg between the hex faces and 125.27 deg between the hex and square faces..
    Sounds like an interesting link. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ah feck... completely forgot about this thread.
    Really sorry for not replying sooner.

Kk..
    I'm not sure what type of wood. Preferably something that would look nice, maybe a darker wood, but I've no idea really what would work best.

As to what it's for... my thesis revolves largely around the use of these objects and four-dimensional analogues thereof. I was going to give the box to my supervisor as a 'thank you' when I finally finish up. Though I wouldn't mind having one myself... maybe I should commission two...

I'm not sure about sizes either. Maybe between a foot and two feet high so's it would provide some reasonable storage space?

Sincerest apologies again for the delay - I went away on holidays and it completely slipped my mind. I will pay attention this time though, if you're still interested and want to ask me any more questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

louise walshs brother has a massive furniture factory in galway where they make and commision furnitur

or so i am told anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

louise walshs brother has a massive furniture factory in galway where they make and commision furnitur

or so i am told anyway

Are you on about lohans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

dont know i havent been there

talkin to a friend of mine on thursday and it came up in conversation

Advertisement