Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

change one thing to improve road bike.

• 20-08-2011 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Ok what would be the first thing you would change on a bike to improve the ride.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Upgrade the wheelset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

The rider :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Simple. Change tyres from 23c's to 25c's and drop the pressure by about 20%. The difference in ride quality on Ireland's crappy roads is astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Simple. Change tyres from 23c's to 25c's and drop the pressure by about 20%. The difference in ride quality on Ireland's crappy roads is astonishing.

I'd say the OP is looking at it from another angle. Weight / performance and not comfort. I certainly wouldn't go from 23 to 25 and drop the pressure. You would need more effort then for the same speed

Brians947?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Change or adjust whatever bothers you most and keep doing that until everything is different or the bike is back to its original spec.:)
    Reminds me of Trigger and the brush in Only fools and horses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Change or adjust whatever bothers you most and keep doing that until everything is different or the bike is back to its original spec.:)
    Reminds me of Trigger and the brush in Only fools and horses.

:)

I'm happy with the ride I get from my bike.
    :D

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    You would need more effort then for the same speed

Have you any evidence to back that claim up?

Taking pressure first - I haven't been able to find any definite answer for what the correct pressure should be in order to make the bike most efficient. Clearly, on a super smooth surface, like a velodrome, higher is better, but on a rougher surface, lower pressures are better (how low I've no idea).

Looking at tyre size, a larger tyre is heavier with greater rolling resistance, but the added comfort will reduce fatigue, meaning less effort is wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

add go faster stripes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

add go faster stripes

Or speed holes. Which would also make it lighter :pac:

Seriously, nicer tyres. Conti GP4000s, or Scwalbe Ultremos are both really nice tyres. The former are so smooth rolling that I kept checking for flat tyres for the first few weeks. On 23 mm. Also the best bang for your buck, that change should cost about 50-60 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Upgrade tyres to best you can afford.

Ive been interested in rim and tyre technical issues for the past while, a wider tyre can offer lower rolling resistance and the weight penalty can be as low as 20g for 23vrs25. Wider contact point is a good thing. The width of the rim also influences tyre performance. 23mm tyres on 22mm rims for me gives noticable performance improvement over 23mm on 20mm, most road rims are 19mm wide tho. It feels more stable on bends, less sidewall pressure. Ill eventually run 25mm tyres on 24mm rims(29r) for road use. Theres a good few options for 23mm rims ranging from 440g to 520g, and a 30mm deep 23mm wide rim at 650g. Ive got some H+ son tb14 rims (23mm 503g)to build into race wheels, possibly with a 24mm tyre for the rear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Have you any evidence to back that claim up?

the added comfort will reduce fatigue, meaning less effort is wasted.

you ask for evidence and then go and make a claim like that ??!!

anyway. first thing i changed was tyres, then stem, then wheels.

you ask for evidence and then go and make a claim like that ??!!

http://jap.physiology.org/content/71/6/2332.short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

i dont see anything in there about 23 v 25 tyres.

honestly, if you get 'fatigued' by cycling on 23s i'd suggest you just do a bit more training.

The point I'm making is that greater comfort will result in less fatigue and therefore greater efficiency.

If you're rolling along on a smooth surface then you're weight distribution will remain fairly constant. But, if you're on a bumpy surface then you're constantly having to make corrections, each of which involves tensing muscles and thus causing some element of fatigue.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That article is talking about the impact of fatigue on maximal, not average power. It does not indicate anything about the impact of a rough road on fatigue, or the impact of fatigue on efficiency

Now I know I can go faster (and am therefore more "efficient") if I'm less comfortable - I prove it on my TT bike pretty much every week. My average power dips but other factors (mainly aerodynamics) more than make up for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if rough roads affected fatigue and you had to push harder how come we don't have all the best cyclists in the world here, all that training on rough roads? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

For non racing use, 25s make more sense than 23s. More comfort, control, cornering, better ride quality. You can get the very same, good tyres in 25 for a negligible weight penalty, and there is a big difference in comfort.

The marginal speed benefit from 23s is principally due to aerodynamics as rolling resistance is lower on 25s at same pressure or the same at a certain lower pressure.

Comfort is important even racing and has a major impact on performance. Obviously this does not mean you TT on a full sus, there is a tradeoff.

Agree best bang for buck is good tyres, followed by the wheelset. For performance working on an aero position is important and will give you more than anything you can buy.

Advertisement