Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonus maths points question

• 20-08-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi :)
    Ok I did my lc this year, wasn't happy - got 6a2s. Will probably miss my course by 5-10 points.

I'm thinking of repeating but I can't handle the thought of doing project maths, another maths course again. I worked really hard at the old one and was delighted with the a but couldn't do it again in one year.

So im thinking of dropping to ordinary. I'm aiming for med. so I was wondering what the deal will be with bonus points?
    Is 600 still the maximum score?
    Is the idea that they will reach 600 easier tHan an ordinary student?

I'm not sure about it. I think I should still be able to score higher next year anyway in my other subjects.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Bonus points only for honors maths

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Bonus points only for honors maths

I know that but I was asking about if 600 is still the maximum score, and if it is does it just mean that people taking higher level just reach 600 sooner?

Like let's say like me someone had 6 hl subjects...and just say they got 6a1s, does that mean they get 650?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

But you cant get anymore than 600? Or if your only doing the 6 subjects, 560!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 123ame

600 is the max

• Advertisement

But then what is the point of bonus points?

So if you get 6 a1s in hl subjects including maths which should be 150 points and you only get 600?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Just want to get clarification here: If I reapply to the CAO will I have 25 more points due to HL maths?

So basically it's 25 points more.
    Ok right that means I'd have I do hl maths for med.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

kate.m wrote: »

Don't you have to have completed the full set of subjects in one year for medicine anyway? So if you are going for medicine next year you'll have to do maths one way or another.

I know I'd have to do maths, I just was wondering about doing hl instead of ol as I did hl last year and don't know if I'm up to a new course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I know I'd have to do maths, I just was wondering about doing hl instead of ol as I did hl last year and don't know if I'm up to a new course.

Afaik for 2012 one of the papers isn't changing from the current format (I think Paper 1 is staying the same, but I'm not sure) and the other paper (which I think is Paper 2) is only partly changing so there's not that much of a difference.

I could however be completely mistaken so maybe someone might clarify this for you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

Yes, but the LC points will be capped at 625 (if you get 600 points including an A1 in higher level maths). In other words, 565 points for med.

It doesn't mean you have to do higher level maths, it just means that your maximum potential LC points for med would be 560 rather than 565 if you took ordinary level, leaving you at a slight disadvantage.

5 points may not mean a lot to you if you have a strong hpat. Weigh up the options because the extra time spent on the new honours maths course (if it is coming in?) could be spent on hpat prep.

Advertisement