Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5TH YEAR QUESTIONS!

• 20-08-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I'l be starting 5th year next week and I just have a few questions- if anyone could answer any of these it would be great help!

1. How many hours should I study a day? I'm doing English, Irish, Maths, Music, French, Geography and Business all at higher level apart from Maths which I am studying at ordinary level. I really don't want to kill myself, but I just want to know these things before I start the year. So how many hours should I study a day? Not including homework?

2. Am I entitled to do higher level Irish? In the Junior Cert, I was in ordinary level and I got a B. I understand that most people believe that an A in ordinary level is the only real solution for doing higher level in Leaving Certificate, but I am a hard worker and I am willing to work hard at it, as well as getting grinds if needs be.

3. This one may sound stupid, but are normal copies used more in the Leaving Cert course than a4 hardbacks or is it vice-versa?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

1. How many hours should I study a day? I'm doing English, Irish, Maths, Music, French, Geography and Business all at higher level apart from Maths which I am studying at ordinary level. I really don't want to kill myself, but I just want to know these things before I start the year. So how many hours should I study a day? Not including homework?

You'll get widely varying answers on this, but in 5th year I think what's more important than how much you study is that you do study and study effectively. Make a study plan at the start of the year and try hard to stick to it, even if it's only 1 subject for 1 hour a day. You can increase that number later in the year and in 6th year, but getting into the habit of checking a schedule on your wall or journal and following it is the most important thing you could do in the start of the year.
    2. Am I entitled to do higher level Irish? In the Junior Cert, I was in ordinary level and I got a B. I understand that most people believe that an A in ordinary level is the only real solution for doing higher level in Leaving Certificate, but I am a hard worker and I am willing to work hard at it, as well as getting grinds if needs be.

Yes. Your school cannot decide for you which level you do for any subject. Your teachers might try to persuade you one way or another, but come the real exams, it's up to you which level paper you do. If you are willing to work at it, give it a shot. I'm also a firm advocate for grinds, determination and a good grind teacher can get any student a higher A1.
    3. This one may sound stupid, but are normal copies used more in the Leaving Cert course than a4 hardbacks or is it vice-versa?

A4 paper is usually more useful, simply because many of your essays and questions will have a target length of a certain amount of A4 pages. Your teachers will also be asking to take up homework, and if you have it done in a copy then that leaves you without your copy until whenever the teacher finishes correcting- which could be weeks. A4 refill pads are best as long as you file everything so that you have usable notes for 6th year!

Have a good year! I know for me at least, 5th year was the most fun I had in secondary school. Check out this thread here for some more pro tips, it's a 6th year thread but you might pick up a thing or two. Feel free to ask any questions that pop into your head, no matter how small!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

1. When it comes to studying, your teachers may tell you to read over the notes you wrote out every day. This is essential. I just got my LC results and the one thing I didn't do in 5th year was read over my notes. It's simple but it is vital. Remember though, it's only 5th year! njd2010 was right about the study plan thing, it's very helpful and your teachers will always mention it!

2. You may be able to do HL Irish. If the numbers are small in the HL classes. If not, its highly unlikely. This happened my friend who wanted to do HL business after doing OL in the Junior Cert, he wasn't allowed to move up sadly

3. Get an A4 hardback for all your subjects (except english, use an A4 refill pad and put all your stuff in a folder). Have a few folders for the important subjects if you want to, cos you'll probably be handed out loads of sheets for notes.

Beshta luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 123ame

i just did the leaving and my advice would be to learn things off now (in 5th year) because it will make your life sooooo much easier for the leaving especially irish (that said it will be a new course you are studying so i dont know to much about the new irish course).
    for me normal copies were used quite a bit for example i used regular copies for maths, french etc, but defo A4 pages for english. People use A4 pages for the things they will need next year (leaving cert year) like english essays, irish answers for poetry and french response. Your teachers will tell you what they want you to have for their class. (if u have any more questions feel free to ask) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I can't really advise you on study, but I'll answer your other two questions :)

This could depend on your school. I know in mine, anyone who got a D or lower in Junior Cert HL was put into ordinary level, although a lot that wanted to do higher did move up. Some of them wanted to do primary teaching, so they needed HL Irish. However, in a friend's school, anyone who did JC HL was automatically put into LC HL, plus anyone who got an A or B at OL. I'm sure you could plead your case, you could even say that you want to do primary teaching if it comes to it :p Also if there are too many in the class, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Soon there will be people wanting to drop, freeing up places, so you might be able to move in then. You'd probably need some grinds or something to catch up, though, but if you're really willing to work I don't see too much of a problem.

In my experience, this will depend on your teacher. Some may insist that you get hardbacks and won't accept anything else, and some may insist on normal copies. For example, my Irish teacher used to take up the copies a lot and wanted us all to use normal ones instead of hardbacks, simply because carrying them is easier. My English teacher insisted on hardbacks, and a lot of them too! Other teachers aren't really fussed. I find in general though that I use more hardbacks than copies, so if I were you I'd just get a good few hardbacks and maybe one bundle of copies. That'll at least do you until you go back and teachers start telling you what they want you to have.

Advertisement